Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I just saw a video of the Leg Cuff Deer Drag. It looks like a simple solution to the age-old problem of dragging deer, except it is $20 for a little piece of plastic and two feet of rope. Has anyone tried one? Does it make the dragging chore any easier? (Obviously not as easy as a four-wheeler, but anything is better than grabbing a leg and pulling!) Should be about a third of the price they charge for the thing.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where does the cuff attach to your leg? Seems inefficient, but then I can't really picture it.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAFXvuDWZQc

Another gimmick, just grab some horn and start walkin

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not in the same sentence as the cough silencer or butt-out tool but it's in the same paragraph.

Whaddya do if two people are doing the dragging? I smell a retrofit coming. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Baler twine and a stick I pick up in the woods does just as well.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i like my chest/waist/shoulder harness drag for extended, uphill drags. you can use your weight and really get rolling. i tie the hooves up around the head like that though and it really helps guide the deer.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I took a 5'X7' "plastic" tarp a couple years ago to put the deer on. It reduced the effort by about 50%. I thought that was what this guy was going to talk about.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good tarp works wonders. On snow, the pull is barely noticeable.

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since we're talking about dragging deer, I'll tell the story of the strangest drag I've ever witnessed. It was in the early '90s, and Pennsylvania was issuing "bonus" antlerless tags to reduce the deer population. I decided I'd hunt a county where I've never been, so I ordered put in for a tag and got one.

The hunt was fairly eventful, but I'll save that part of the story for another time other than to say the temperatures that day were -26°F. Yes, that's 26 degrees below zero.

I shot a doe around noon, took my time field dressing it, ate my lunch and proceeded to drag her out. I had to go along the ridge, down the hill, and up over another hill, then down to my car. While going up that hill I saw a guy a ways ahead dragging a deer. From the length of it, appeared to be a very large deer. Naturally, I was gaining on him.

Soon I could see he didn't have one deer. He had two. When I caught up I could see he had a mother and a six month old. He had a rope around the big one's neck, and the two deer were tied together by their back legs, so the second deer was being dragged backwards, against the direction of the hair.

As I went by, I told him, "Maybe you ought to put the little one inside the big one. That way you'd only have to drag one deer."

He muttered something about being almost to the top of the hill, so he'd keep going.

The point of the story is that there's a use for that cuff thing. Use it to fasten the legs of multiple deer together. But it should probably come with instructions to drag the deer WITH the grain of the hair, rather than against.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He must have really wanted a workout. eek

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I just have my servant's drag them.

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like the shoulder harness drag. I can usually pick on up for about 8$. Couple nylon straps over the shoulders and a line off the center of your back to the deer. Off you go!
Best thing I have found for those long drags, you can get low and lean right into it.

Hunt...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hunting in Wyo once and found a deer strapped to a backpack in the bottom of a very steep canyon. It was from the day before since it was just now first light. Scratched my head and kept hunting. That afternoon after I got back to my rig I ran into 2 West Virginia guys and they said yes, that was their buck. They couldn't pack it up the canyon so they went and hired 2 cowboys from the bar in town for God knows how much money to do the chore. I talked with them for a while (trying to keep a smirk off my face) and then the 2 cowboys come out of the canyon with the deer. The one cowboy could have been the guys dad. We laughed our azzez off driving back to camp but it was an easy drag for them!!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
http://www.amazon.com/Glenns-Deer-Handle-LLC-DH01/dp/B000UPGNZ6

If you don't have a Glenn's deer handle and you drag a lot of deer, your behind the curve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I find the deer on the wrong side of the mountain anymore, that deer continues to live a charmed life.

All my favorite mountains have grown a lot the last few years.
shocked

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My Father-In-Law used to buy ridicules stuff like that all the time. I have been tying up the legs to the head before that guy on the video was even old enough to hunt. I remember when my Father-In-Law went the tarp route. It was shredded in about 200 yards. I have seen little red wagons, wheel barrows, taboggens, sleds, bicycles, and even the old "Swinging on a pole between two guys" carry. We used to lay two old branches across the railroad tracks and put the deer on top. You can really zip along. A few years back someone bought me a deer cart. Worthless in the woods, but if you can get to a logging road, what a relief they are.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gunplummer
I have been tying up the legs to the head before that guy on the video was even old enough to hunt.

For dragging, that's the place to start. Or just tie off around the neck and jaw and let the legs fold back...

Some folks like very short drag ropes with a T handle so you sort of lift the front of the carcass as you drag while others prefer a long rope..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a cart, but found that one of those toboggan things is actually easier to use. It's also good for packing a heavy ladder stand back in the woods. I just roll it up and leave it tied upright to a tree near my stand.

A couple inches of snow is easier yet.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If I have to drag something more than 50 yards it's getting cut up and put in a pack

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SKane
He must have really wanted a workout. eek

That, or he was from Pennsylvania.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (02bfishn, 16gage, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,427
Posts18,470,733
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.