T

Not me.

GB1

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In one of Cooper's old books ("Shooting with Cooper, O'Conner, Dunlap and Kerr") there's a great photo of Jeff doing a classic speed rock with a 1911. Cool haircut, too.
Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The idea is just shooting without extending your arms, right? Like the bad guy is right on top of you?

We just call it shooting from retention.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by 4ager
I wonder how many of the people on this thread (as with just about every other "adequate self-defense cartridge/bullet" thread) have actually had to shoot someone in self-defense?

Is that a prerequisite for having a valid opinion?

Nope, just a question. It would, perhaps, give a bit more credibility to the "absolutes" that more than a few toss around on the subject, though, if they've actually had first-hand experience.

The only absolute that I can think of in a gunfight, is that there are no absolutes

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
RGK, gmoats never said that he thought that Yeager was good. You need to check your reading comprehension before you slam someone for no good reason. I think that you can learn something (but not everything) from just about everyone.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
UPHiker----RGK and I are good-----let's let it go, but thanks anyway.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The idea is just shooting without extending your arms, right? Like the bad guy is right on top of you?

We just call it shooting from retention.

And that's as good a name as any because your firing by index, from a protected position. I call it the CQB Stage and it is fired from about six feet from the "Interview Position"; bladed into the target about 45 degrees with the left hand at chest level, like you're holding a pocket notebook.

On command you simulate throwing the notebook in the azzz... er assailant's face and return it immediately to your chest as you draw, lock your elbow to your ribs and stitch 3 rounds up the torso. You immediately step off on your strong side, shift the gun to your support hand and give him two more to the centerline or melon, your choice. The guys like this stage and most shoot it in under 4 seconds from a locked down duty holster.

I found this pic on the web, probably a better illustration of what I came to know as the Speed Rock, roughly 30 years ago. Believe I'd be using my left to give stick-boy a redirection of his priorities, though.

[Linked Image]
http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2013/11/cqb-defense-tactics/#cqb-defense-tactics-2

Another modernized version...

Last edited by SargeMO; 06/14/15.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I think I know that dude on the right...

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by deflave

I think I know that dude on the right...

Dave

Looks like my Brother in law.
Bob

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I don't think he muzzled the gun........I think his hand was on the top or bottom of the slide, not covering the muzzle.

But........he sure as schitt shot the 1st round into the ground below the target as he drew the weapon.

MM

I think he did muzzle his hand when he went from a chamber check from below then to charging the weapon with a slingshot.

In between the two, I think he brought his hand from the bottom to the top of the slide passing his hand partially in front of the muzzle.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yall mean at like :08? If so, it was the muzzle of a gun that he had just checked and knew was empty.

Of all the fail in that video, his perhaps-partial muzzle sweep is pretty low on my list of stuff to critique.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 06/14/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 41magfan
It's worth noting that everything "new" owes its existence to something developed long ago, and if anyone thinks the wheel was invented in your lifetime then you're just a silly fool.

Does that also apply to the people who think Jeff Cooper invented trigger pulling? Or was that actually new?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That's Colonel Jeff Cooper to you buddy.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Are you drunk?
I can't speak for whoever you asked, but I am.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wouldn't call Col. Cooper a "career Marine".

Cooper graduated from Stanford University with a bachelor's degree in political science. He received a regular commission in the United States Marine Corps (USMC) in September 1941. During World War II he served in the Pacific theatre on the USS Pennsylvania. By the end of the war he had been promoted to major. He resigned his commission in 1949, but returned to active duty during the Korean War, where he was involved in irregular warfare, and was promoted to lieutenant colonel. After the Korean War, the Marine Corps declined his application to remain on active duty. In the mid-1960s, he received a master's degree in history from the University of California, Riverside. From the late 1950s through the early 1970s, he was a part-time high school and community college history teacher.[1]
wicki

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Moats.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just read in the paper about a cop chasing a creep that was shooting at him. Cop expended 4 rounds and missed. Then all kinds of shots were fired at the cop from others.
Caught the perp when he was impaled by a fence trying to climb it.
Might be better to issue fence posts.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by GunGeek
[/b]
Food for thought…
… the depth of the average adult male thorax is probably no more than ten inches, from front of chest to back.[/b]

I'm not going to read the article, because I'm going to guess that they don't define "passed through someone" so as to distinguish your "through the thorax" from "clipped his pinky", thereby rendering the statistics useless. You can chide me if I'm wrong.
Beat me to it..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It was proven the nine had more penetration then the ACP but if I was to carry, I would have the ACP. One shot stop! Penetration in and of itself it just not enough. I love it for hunting but boolit work inside an animal is what kills. I do not like energy figures. It is how it is applied.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"One shot stop!" Classic stuff right there.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 10 of 29 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

442 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,292
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.