Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
here in Indiana. Can't wait! Looks to be a bumper crop of the lil critters, based on the number I see out on the road, and in the yard. Hoping to do a campout down in one of our state forests, about 2 hrs. south of me, in Sept. Got 2 left in the freezer, and enough pressure cooked for one more batch of chowder. Not wishin' my life away, but come on Aug. 15th.

maddog

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got to wait till Oct here. Missed my very first chance of a spring hunt due to that dang cast. Will be making up for it..

BTW, that skwerl campout sounds like fun. May try it also..

Last edited by schoolmarm; 06/16/15.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, I'm on an Indiana hunting forum, and each fall there is a squirrel contest. I came up with the idea of a 2-3 day camp out, with not only members, but anybody that likes to squirrel hunt. So far it looks like we got 10-12 guys that want to participate. I went down there on a scouting trip, two weeks ago. the camp is remote[for Indiana], primitive[no elec], and has a 2-3 acre pond next to it that we can fish. All of it surrounded by state forest. Here's some pics of the place. I can't wait to go.!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This will give you an idea about the place. if it wasn't so danged far to drive, I'd tell you to come on up and join the fun! grin

maddog

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful place there! Squirrel season opens the 4th Saturday in August here in Tennessee. I'm looking forward to getting after them.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now that does sound like fun. Y'all(southern word) would just make fun of an old southern boy up there in those yankee woods. grin grin

IC B2

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Only if ya cain't shoot....just sayin'....whistle grin

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by maddog
Only if ya cain't shoot....just sayin'....whistle grin

maddog

hehehe, great comback. You just need to venture on down here. Since I retired and in the 6 Saturday a week club, I'm gonna try to hunt everyday. May need some help on the squirrels here..

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, I did something dumb yesterday, in honor of the upcoming season.... I bought another ruger 10/22, so I can have one scoped, as well as one with a fiber optic peep sight! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Brings me up to 4 .22s for squirrel season!

maddog

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
For you spring and summer squirrel hunters, how about ticks??
We often make a trip though the Mo., In., & Ky. areas on our way to visit relatives in Va. and Pa. I ask my pal here in town about Mo. squirrel hunting, he is from the Springfield area, and he said the ticks were so thick, hunting was not fun..

The last tree squirrels I shot were in W. Va. probably close 15 years ago.. Big old fox squirrels..

Maddog, a guy can never have too many .22's..

Molon Labe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Personally, I haven't been bothered by a tick, for years. I do treat my hunting clothes with permithrin, plus I've been taking vitamin B and Garlic pills. The skeeters don't bother me much, but they may be brutal this summer, because of the rain. I do keep deep woods off around for just such occasions....grin

BTW, the new ruger 10/22 shoots just fine.

maddog

IC B3

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I haven't seen or shot a Fox Squirrel in about 30yrs. We don't have them around here, just the Grey's. But back in the early 80's I hunted them around Garrett/Butler/Hamilton area's in Indiana. That was some fine hunting and a lot of fine looking Squirrels. I would be fun to do that again, but I'll have to be satisfied doing it through your posts.......you are going to post your hunts along with pictures.....right? hint, hint. wink

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Oh yeah. I'm sure there will be another limb chicken hunting thread, just like the last couple years....wink grin

maddog

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Oh yeah. I'm sure there will be another limb chicken hunting thread, just like the last couple years....wink grin

maddog

EXCELLENT!!!! cool

What part of Indiana were the photo's from?

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
NW Indiana.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, got the 10/22s out the other day and got them pretty much sighted in. It was very muggy and the skeeters were rampant! Still the new 10/22 didn't do half bad. Need to tweek the scope a little more, but here is a 10 shot group fired pretty quick, off sand bags on the pickup.

[Linked Image]

Not too bad for a 64 yo. with bi focals gettin' skeeter bit.

[Linked Image]

Said rifle.....

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mighty good shooting for a young chap..

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
Mighty good shooting for a young chap..

"young chap"......yeah right grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
second week in November for me. Long time out. Nothing new this year, same couple of rifles, same places, same ammo, same technique. It all works, why change anything?

Sam......

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Had a funny one happen Sunday. Mama let Dexter, our min pins, outside. He promptly ran to the neighbors and ran a fox squirrel, I have nick named Otis, up a huge soft maple. Mama came running in and said Dex had climbed the tree, looking for Otis. I went outside to look, and sure enough, there's ole Dex about 8-9 ft. up in the air, in a fork of the tree! grin

[Linked Image]

The pic is a little dark, but you get the picture..... He decided to jump out of the tree. The pup is a crazy lil schit, but I'm taking him squirrel hunting this fall.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 06/30/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
can't wait to see what happens when Dexter grabs one that ain't quite dead. He'll go crazy..

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Min pins think they're full size Wehrmacht dobies. My inlaws had one that would stand on his back feet, place his front feet on a big dog's shoulders, and bark in his face while the big dog looked at him like "What the hey?"

I envy you that dog. It's killing me that the season is open and I have another eye surgery before I can see to shoot a rifle, but a good dog and a shotgun would be a game changer.

Good hunting!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There sure seems to be a lot of squirrels in my neck of the Ozark's right now. I've seen them a lot in the hickory trees behind the house and looked around there yesterday and found a couple hickory nuts they sampled. That's too early, the nuts aren't ready but the squirrels seem to be ready.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
August 1 is closing in. Looks like a lot of nuts/mast on the trees in my area. We have had a REALLY wet spring and early summer thus far.

I will be getting out my CZ/BRNO 22lr's out for routing sighting in, along with my Browning Buckmark Varmint Special pistol. I like to get the pistol out when the leaves are thinned out for a real squirrel plinking challenge.

dave

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Had both of my 10/22s out for final adjustments. Need to get the Sportster and my 39a out for a final checkup. Indiana is two weeks after Illinois opener. It'll be here before you know it.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
4 weeks from tomorrow, the season opens. Seems like it was yesterday, that I was complaining about it being 6 1/2 mos. til squirrel season. grin

maddog

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Eyes are getting better fast. Can't shoot a rifle very well yet but can at least walk into the woods without hurting myself. Does a .410 pistol (Contender) count as "handgun hunting" or would I be a much-maligned shotgunner?

Never mind, I'm going if I have to use a 12 ga. double. Those wascally squiwwels are in gwave danger.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hogeye, gitterdone!! Nobody really gives a rats derrierre what ya hunt with. Just don't report back that ya missed one with a shotgun, or you'll never hear the end of it......wink grin

maddog

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That's what the second barrel's for, duh!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yeah, I'm on an Indiana hunting forum, and each fall there is a squirrel contest. I came up with the idea of a 2-3 day camp out, with not only members, but anybody that likes to squirrel hunt. So far it looks like we got 10-12 guys that want to participate. I went down there on a scouting trip, two weeks ago. the camp is remote[for Indiana], primitive[no elec], and has a 2-3 acre pond next to it that we can fish. All of it surrounded by state forest. Here's some pics of the place. I can't wait to go.!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This will give you an idea about the place. if it wasn't so danged far to drive, I'd tell you to come on up and join the fun! grin

maddog

Bet that place is beautiful end of Oct. I miss midwestern squirrel woods in Oct and Nov

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Won't get to see it in late Oct., but I'll be camping there for 3-4 days, the third wk. of Sept. grin

maddog

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
3 days to go till skweerel season hits my state!

And it falls on a saturday this year!

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Lucky you....grin I got two more weeks, but ours comes in on a Sat., too.

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2+ months to go here. Got more squirrel guns to try out than we have skwerls..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You guys suck!

All I have to look forward to is more of this....

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're DEPLORABLE....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just got back from the creek today. Gathered up enough for friends and me to have a trout dinner grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well congrats on the little fish. Wish I could master the picture thing. Mawsquaw and I did a trip to the Tenn River in N Alabama. The flatheads were biting great. Got a 72#, a 50#, my wife caught an 18#, and a couple a little smaller.
Great eating..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Congrats on the big fish. We had our trout last night and since I don't eat fish, I took a couple pieces of chicken along. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chicken is never a bad choice. Congrats on the trout, beautiful fish..

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm itchin to pop a few squirrels too. Bought a savage 24 last year and only got to hunt with it once. .22LR over 3" modified 20 ga. open sights though, a couple of years ago I could pull it off but I need to get to the eye doctor. After I turned 40 my eyes went to hell in a hand bag.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ilikemilitaria

Ok, so how'd you do yesterday, and today, if ya went out again?

maddog

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

maddog

maddog, well...I didnt get to go out yet!

BUT, I have a good excuse..my daughter-in-law is expecting my second grandaughter any day/minute, and my weekend was taken up with the oldest grandaughter (2yrs old), spending the weekend with me.

So....I have yet to get into the woods! cry

dave

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Ok, good excuse. Othewise I woulda razzed yer azz....wink grin

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have it on good authority the squirrels are starting to hit the hickory trees in the Ozark's pretty good now. If you can deal with the heat...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MOGC
I have it on good authority the squirrels are starting to hit the hickory trees in the Ozark's pretty good now. If you can deal with the heat...

And the ticks, and the chiggers, and . . .

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Originally Posted by MOGC

And the ticks, and the chiggers, and . . .

... and snakes and poison ivy... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buncha dam rodent eaters.....

If there's anything worth celebrating it's the fact that it's only four weeks until my annual Grouse camp.

smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You will hate me forever for this...

but squirrels taste better than grouse. shocked

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Exactly one month to the start of squirrel season here. The beech tree in the neighbors yard is LOADED as are all the beeches in the area. The acorns crop looks good, and hickory nuts are already starting to be cut (though they ain't ripe yet).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe

Woohoo, that should stir up a few feathers.. hehehe

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by schoolmarm

Woohoo, that should stir up a few feathers.. hehehe
I wouldn't know why, ingwe is dead on right with that observation.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Believe it or not, some here question some of my observations...

Can you even imagine that????????? crazy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Your coherence and continence are questioned, and your recollection (over millennia).

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 4ager
Your coherence and continence are questioned, and your recollection (over millennia).

when he was in school they taught him to write it all down so as not to forget. wink

[Linked Image]

============================================================

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

when he was in school they taught him to write it all down so as not to forget. wink

[Linked Image]

A very cheap shot at us old guys. I represent that statement..

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
i'm there with ya; i've slowed down to the point the squirrels dont see me moving. makes it easier to still hunt though...

============================================================

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

At this point, I am beginning to believe that you enjoy schitting yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Chit's good if ya like it. grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

[Linked Image]

At this point, I am beginning to believe that you enjoy schitting yourself.

Do you just stop by certain threads to throw out insults?

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Boys, a week from right now, I'll be getting dressed to head for the woods. Can't wait! grin

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
month and a half here. Durn limbrats are eating my chickens feed and corn. May have to start early to save my chickens..

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Four days. Clothes are washed and treated. Truck is loaded. Picked up two more woods, last night over the phone. Life is good!! grin

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Post pics!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

maddog

Finally got out yesterday evening behind my house..they are just starting to cut hickory and pignuts. Went 5 for 5, with all rounds taking out the mainspring in the noggin!

CZ-455 sporter with 2-7x Leupy, using Eley SSHP's.

dave

B
B
to wyooyehunter iam fro spfd. area and last week I heard two tics arguing over a hunter they had just kilt one wanted to eat him in the woods other one as afaird the big ticks would take him away from them

braids
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Are you by chance closely related to kawi?

B
B
you guys all need to come down home we hunt-em with .36 cap and ball makes it a might more sporting

braids
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Are you by chance closely related to kawi?

Brothers by different mothers! smile

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Went out a little while ago, do do a little scouting, to see if the squirrels were hitting the hickories, yet. Wasn't in the woods 5 minutes, and had two up two different pignut hickories, next to each other. The nuts were raining out of those two trees. I know where I'll be sitting, come Sat. am. grin

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 08/12/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by braids
you guys all need to come down home we hunt-em with .36 cap and ball makes it a might more sporting

I once read an article about hunting squirrels with a small cal smokepole. 32cal IIRC.
Seemed like a fun way to go.
If I lived in good squirrel country I'd definitely have one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by braids

I once read an article about hunting squirrels with a small cal smokepole. 32cal IIRC.
Seemed like a fun way to go.
If I lived in good squirrel country I'd definitely have one.

I've been thinking about a .32 or .36 muzzleloader for just such endeavors for years now.

It will eventually have to happen.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We used to have a member posting here that hunted squirrels with muzzle loaders, and Ben ( mtcurman) still dies, when he's in squirrel country.

It would be fun....

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Back in my 30's, I was into buckskinning. I shot my first 35 deer with a ML. I wanted to learn to shoot a flintlock, but was afraid to try it with deer. Soooo, I bought a Dixie Tenn. squirrel rifle in .32 cal., in a flinter version. I shot a lot of squirrels with that gun. But as I got older, I got away from the buckskinning, and sold the gun. It would be fun to do it again. Who knows, maybe it'll happen down the road....grin

maddog

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ingwe I,am much badder thin those.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Kawi: good to here. I am much fatter then hose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We used to have a member posting here that hunted squirrels with muzzle loaders, and Ben ( mtcurman) still dies, when he's in squirrel country.

It would be fun....

Yep. It needs to happen.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1minute, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.