Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Guys, first let me say I've never killed an elk. I have though seen videos and movies where an elk when shot usually stumbles a few steps, backs up a few steps or turns in his tracks and just stands there before moving off. I've never see one take off like a whitetail and make a mad dash for cover. Is it just my tainted view after only seeing them killed on TV or in videos? I'm really curious about this. powdr

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sometimes they fall over, sometimes they make death dash and sometimes they walk off like nothing hit them and drop over in 20-30 yards.It all depends where they are hit and what they are doing when hit.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I've seen all of the above!!
If they are moving, walk or trot, don't waste your ammo if they are running, without hitting major bones mine typically didn't react until they fell over 30-100+ yds. later!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They can absorb those high powered rounds without flinching sometimes. Best advice I ever got from an oldtimer was don't stop shooting until they are on the ground.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Seems if they are aware of you...otherwise spooked and adrenalin on overdose....they can take hits and punishment that makes you wonder how they are still on their feet. Times like that a large bull can be like shooting at a truck tire.

Caught unaware,with a bullet in the right spot, they aren't hard to kill. But sometimes they show little reaction to the shot;and as others have pointed out,their reactions to being hit by a bullet can vary all over the place IME.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
There probably isn't any commonality as each animal/sequence is unique. The bottom line is to follow-up each shot as if you are certain of punching your tag.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Seems if they are aware of you...otherwise spooked and adrenalin on overdose....they can take hits and punishment that makes you wonder how they are still on their feet. Times like that a large bull can be like shooting at a truck tire.

Caught unaware,with a bullet in the right spot, they aren't hard to kill. But sometimes they show little reaction to the shot;and as others have pointed out,their reactions to being hit by a bullet can vary all over the place IME.

This has been my experience. Seen more of the "sprint" after the shot when they have seen you or know something is up. Seen more of the "electrifying" reaction when they are totally calm.

What people do immediately after the shot has given many bullets and cartridges a bad rep.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Sometimes they fall over, sometimes they make death dash and sometimes they walk off like nothing hit them and drop over in 20-30 yards.It all depends where they are hit and what they are doing when hit.

Exactly.

Missed this the first time.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm with saddlesore, Ive seen many different reactions to a well placed shot. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The first elk I shot (a cow at 272yds with a 140gr TTSX from a Rem .280) dropped in her tracks, but the bull I shot this fall (476yds with a 210 TTSX from a .338 Win) did not react at all. I didn't hear the impact and thought I'd missed. I shot again and lost him in the recoil. When I looked again I couldn't find him and thought he'd made it behind a short finger ridge. I was just sick, but when I made it over to where he was he was laying in the sage.

The shots were under the spine, higher than I had aimed but just beside each other.

[Linked Image]

Golden............
IC B3

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks guys. I do appreciate the responses. It looks like I'm partially right and of course partially wrong. I just turned 63 and it's still on my bucket list but it's probably one that won't ever get crossed off. What a majestic animal. powdr

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I have never lost my enthusiasm to hunt elk. I also learned a long time ago, an elk isn't dead until you have him loaded into your truck. Until that time I am shooting or gutting, but I am certainly not waiting for the elk to drop...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm a believer in shooting until they are on the ground. Neck shot at close range gets what you would expect but so does a spine shot at 350 yards - they hit the dirt right now. Lung shots that are fatal may not have much reaction or may trigger a death run. I have hit and killed them on a dead run but they take more than one fatal shot to stop moving.

Lung shot with a high neck finisher is not a bad plan how much adrenalin is in an elks system makes a big difference in what they do when hit..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm a believer in shooting until they are on the ground. Neck shot at close range gets what you would expect but so does a spine shot at 350 yards - they hit the dirt right now. Lung shots that are fatal may not have much reaction or may trigger a death run. I have hit and killed them on a dead run but they take more than one fatal shot to stop moving.

Lung shot with a high neck finisher is not a bad plan how much adrenalin is in an elks system makes a big difference in what they do when hit..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If it is on your bucket list don't wait another year. Grab a younger hunting partner with a 4x4 truck if you don't already have one, scout a little on line and on this forum or others and head to Colorado for an over the counter bull tag. For $600 and the cost of a camping trip to the mountains you can be hunting elk.

Your odds wont be great but you will see what elk hunting is like without a TV remote in your hand and won't die wondering what it would have been like to smell elk in the dark timber with a rifle in your hand or spot a bull at 1000 yards moving across a shale slope.

Once you have the bug it is hard to miss a season. In the age of Google earth and internet research you can get an idea of a couple of areas that look interesting and may do great. Better yet check for areas with leftover cow tags and more than double your odds of grilling up elk loin......just do a little extra homework on caring for that big carcass to maximize your eating enjoyment. Good boots and an old frame pack for meat hauling along with layers for changing weather a map and compass and your deer hunting stuff is really all you need.

It is certainly a habit that is hard to break once you start, at your age you still have years left if you are in good physical condition. If you lungs aren't in good shape a low altitude guided hunt or the TV remote would be a better plan.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Definitely get out during the season. It really isn't much more than a camping trip with a rifle. Certainly does not need to be expensive. Everything I need fits in my luggage, and then on my back. The cost is basically the license and then getting there.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by powdr
Thanks guys. I do appreciate the responses. It looks like I'm partially right and of course partially wrong. I just turned 63 and it's still on my bucket list but it's probably one that won't ever get crossed off. What a majestic animal. powdr

Do it. While my Dad was a great man in my life growing up, we didn't take the time to do these things when we were both young enough to enjoy it, and get into the hard places that held the elk.

We go now each Fall, but I can see that the mountain is steeper for him every year, and I'm beginning to feel it, too.

Point being, odds are that "somebody" in your family, or your true friends, would go with you. It doesn't have to be a solo hunt.

FWIW, my first elk was a solid double lung shot, followed by a 200-300 yard death run, and very little blood as the hide covered the entry and exit holes very well while he was moving. He was at the edge of a tree line, no follow-up shot available.

We assumed a miss for the first 30-50 yards of tracking, then found one big drop of blood, and started looking further out. Blood was left at one dime-sized drop about every 10-25 yards, until we found him upside down next to a log.

Last edited by AH64guy; 06/17/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone I've shot died within 10 feet of being hit with exception of one that was running when I shot him. I fire until they topple, legs start to buckle or at least wobble. The idea of a marginal hit with a drawn out chase with a diminishing blood trail scares me so my goal is to hammer them and not wait to see what happens.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The bull I shot this past season gave a classic bronco buck and down hill dash indicating a heart shot. The cow I killed folded to the shoulder shot, got back up and was headed down hill when I dropped her with a high spine hit. The elk I have shot with my 338 have all showed a reaction to the hit. The 2 I shot with a 270 needed some convincing they were hit.

Perry

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I guess I am in the minority about keep shooting until they are on the ground. I limit my shots to about 300 yards max,give or take a little, but 95% of them are less than 100 yards in rifle season. I am really picky about taking the shot,and I must have a high probablity that the shot is 100% good before I pull the trigger. Conseqently after the shot,I put another one in the chamber,but in reality in the thick stuff I usually hunt,there is no chance for a 2nd shot. Secondly,I hunt for meat and if it isn't necessary,I see no reason to waste more meat. Hunting muzzle loader hunts for years,I got into the habit of making the first shot count.

Of course the next reply will be someone saying they would rather take a 1/2 an elk home than lose one or not punch a tag. I'd rather take the whole elk home or let it walk

Last season,I did shoot twice at a bull. . He took off in that death run. He was in a small clearing, so I had the opportunity.However,he went less than 100 yards and piled up in the timber. I had missed the 2nd shot.

Out of about 4 dozen elk I have tagged. I lost two. One I found the next day,but it had spoiled and one a few years ago in ML season. That one was dead ,I know, but three of us looked 1/2 a day for her in the tall weeds and I went back the next day and spent several more hours.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/17/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a hunter last fall that had never shot an elk. On opening morning he shoots at a bull and because the bull walked off with no reaction he was on the verge of panic that he'd missed.

I was fairly sure that I'd heard the bullet hit and the bull crash down the hill.

Anyway he was piled up 40 yards away from the shot.

I've also had them DRT and also stagger around then fall.

I'm a big fan of shooting until they are dead on the ground. I think it was Tanner here on 24hr that said then walk up to them and empty another magazine into the chest.

Almost none of my hunters automatically reload and ready for a second shot. Telling them to reload and shoot again is pretty much an automatic reaction for me after the first shot. I follow the same when I'm hunting myself.

And many of my clients have hunted Africa and all around North America and they still don't automatically reload/shoot again.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm always surprised when a hunter shoots and doesn't chamber another round. No matter what the scenario you reload. Even if the animal is surely dead in plain sight. Just good common sense practice.

Golden............
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I had a hunter last fall that had never shot an elk. On opening morning he shoots at a bull and because the bull walked off with no reaction he was on the verge of panic that he'd missed.

I was fairly sure that I'd heard the bullet hit and the bull crash down the hill.

Anyway he was piled up 40 yards away from the shot.

I've also had them DRT and also stagger around then fall.

I'm a big fan of shooting until they are dead on the ground. I think it was Tanner here on 24hr that said then walk up to them and empty another magazine into the chest.

Almost none of my hunters automatically reload and ready for a second shot. Telling them to reload and shoot again is pretty much an automatic reaction for me after the first shot. I follow the same when I'm hunting myself.

And many of my clients have hunted Africa and all around North America and they still don't automatically reload/shoot again.

Good advice.

What do they say in Africa? It's the dead ones that will kill you(?!)

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am always ready for a second shot, and the vast majority of the elk that I have killed and have seen killed have "run", after shot. The other two reactions, I have seen is of course dropping instantly, and walking away. Both are indicators of a good hit. One must "always" assume a hit, and conduct a diligent search after a shot.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I do my very best to make my first shot the only one needed, but failing that if he's got his feet on the ground I've got bullets in the air.

Last edited by super T; 06/17/15.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

When the 7 Dakota goes boom. Ivory's just fall out upon head hitting the ground.

Realistically - I've been lucky over the years.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Guys, first let me say I've never killed an elk. I have though seen videos and movies where an elk when shot usually stumbles a few steps, backs up a few steps or turns in his tracks and just stands there before moving off. I've never see one take off like a whitetail and make a mad dash for cover. Is it just my tainted view after only seeing them killed on TV or in videos? I'm really curious about this. powdr

I see you live in Texas. Put in the Oklahoma draw. In Oklahoma you don't have to buy the tag until you draw. Wichita Mountain is close and as good as it gets. You can stay at my place and I'll help you get it out.

Last edited by rickmenefee; 06/17/15.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good info, especially the fairly common experience of having an elk show no sign of being hit, no reaction to the shot. If they drop or react, you know you hit, but no reaction often kills a hunter's confidence. Too often a hunter thinks he missed because the elk did not react. Have confidence in your rifle and sight picture.

The application in the field is to always look hard for blood or a dead elk. We have found dead elk by going back to where a hunter said that he missed.

It's the elk that a hunter thinks is a clean miss that often gives a problem or is found after it is spoiled. I have also seen three bulls get up and leave several minutes after dropping and lying stone still. If you have to go out of sight of the "dead" bull to get to him from where you shot, wait and watch him awhile before charging over to him.

Good luck on your elk. Do it!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think we will have fewer of these "no reaction" issues if we shoot them on the shoulders,or angle our shots through vitals and into bone,either on side or off.

When I've shot them that way there was always little doubt something had happened. The "no reaction" business was more typical with the broadside lung hits.

Of course if you're going to shoot through bone it isn't a bad idea to use a bullet that'll make the trip.

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for the offer Rick...I really appreciate it. I didn't know Oklahoma had elk. Guys I appreciate all of the responses and am still contemplating going before I die. I think the sheer mass of the elk lends itself to more reactions than one would get w/the whitetail. Thanks again guys...I'm consumed w/ the thought of elk hunting. powdr

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I always talked about going elk hunting with my dad, we talked about it until he died at 63. I bought a 7mm Remington Magnum in 1977 as my first rifle purchase so that my deer gun could be my elk gun. That rifle didn't get to chase elk until 23 years later because there was always something more important to spend the money on and things to do with the time. All i can say is that i wasted 23 years dreaming and talking.

Now there is elk hunting money first - then everything else lower down the budget scale after the mortgage, other vacation time goes on the calendar after the elk hunt.

If you want to go don't wait - tell the wife and kids you are going this season or next and don't wait for a premium tag drawing, get on the computer take up the generous offers you'll receive in person or via pm and get off the couch and start taking brisk walks or runs with a pack on loaded with water.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Powdr, I have put in for the Oklahoma draw 23 years now. No luck yet, so don't bank on that tag.

That said, if you can walk you can hunt. Colorado is a short drive. Buy a over the counter tag and go this very year. 2nd rifle or bow are over the counter, except in the limited draw units.

The elk meat is great; but honestly, the drive out with a couple good friends, hoofing up a ridge while sweat drips off your nose, and drinking Gatorade while you watch the sunrise is reward enough. It will make you feel alive.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do it. Do it while you are physically able.

Not long before I turned 60, my wife asked if there was anything I'd like to do or hunt while still able. She knew that for decades I had forgone most sheep hunting due to family and financial responsibilities.

I thought about it awhile and then drove 1084 miles north, parked by the Alaska Highway and backpacked into the northern Rockies after sheep and caribou. "Loved it" is way too mild a descriptor for the dazzling ten days.

If you want to hunt elk, hunt them now, this Fall!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I killed a 6X6 bull in Wyoming each of the past two seasons. Both were shot with a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM with 210 gr TTSX.

The first one was shot at 150 yds. and he lunged forward 20 or 30 yds and stopped behind a pine tree. I shot a second time and he took off like a whitetail. I was not totally sure of a hit, but we found him piled up about a hundred yds down the trail. I had hit him with the first shot and missed the second. (I think).

Last year's bull was hit at 27yds and just stopped and started to do a "death wobble". After about 15 seconds, I put him down with a second shot at 10 yds.

Two earlier bulls were DRT with one shot each.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My last years bull was at 370 I was prone on the bipod, almost level with him. Caught him quartering away, about the 8 or 9th rib back, the 180 PT exited out the left side of his chest. He was on the ground before the gun kicked off. As I was wading down and up through the snow and brush, he got up ran another 100 yards and was standing in the timber broadside when I came up to where he was laying. A shot through both front shoulders ended the hunt. I was shooting a 300 WM. Not an unusual occurrence.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
My experience mirrors others. Except I have never killed a BIG bull. We hunt for meat and many years the only elk I saw was the one I killed, whether it was a raghorn, spike, cow, and even a couple of calves in the mix.

Besides not killing a big mature bull, all the elk I have killed died easier than a mature whitetail buck.
Killed one with a bow, it ran about 40 yds.
Shot one running once, it made it about 30 yds or less.
Made a bad hit on a little bull right before dark, hit him to far back. Found him about 100-150 yds dead within an hour of daylight.
One cow when shot through the shoulder made a flying leap off the down hill slope of a steep old logging road.

The other 15 or so all hit the dirt instantly. They were shot with a wide variety of cartridges, all shooting either speer hot cors, sierra gamekings, or hornady interlocks.

Powdr,
Take everybodys advise and make an elk hunt happen. Even if you don't harvest one, the experience will be well worth it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I haven't seen elk react to shots very much at all unless the spine has been hit. The only exception I've seen to this is Berger VLD. Most of the time, elk haven't even acted shot, until they fall over. I'm a member of the "Keep Shooting!" consensus. Can count the number of elk that I've seen die with one hole in them on one hand. Even if downed, finisher in the neck on approach has been pretty standard. Have only seen one BIG bull killed. He didn't act hit with shot #1. He went behind some brush and bedded. On approach, he stood up, took a couple steps, and dropped to a neck shot. The first shot was a good double-lung, and it seemed to anchor him. At least he didn't run for a few miles.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't recall a typical reaction - everything from bang-flop to bolting to no reaction at all.

I had a strange one last season - the shot took out the opposite shoulder. The elk bucked in about a 20ft circle then made a death leap wedging itself between two trees.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I used to think elk were tough until I started shooting buffalo...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I can count on one hand the elk that took more than one shot to kill. Most guys don't give them time to die which is about 10 seconds give or take on a double lung. A few years muzzle loader hunting will make a person be real selctive in the shots they take.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But that's 10 more seconds that I could be shooting. laugh

Last edited by Ralphie; 06/19/15.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

powdr:

I have killed 33 elk and I've seen no common reaction after a clean solid hit. I shoot for the largest body mass; the lungs. I've seen everything from no reaction at all, to DRT, to run-for-your-life and everything in between. So you should just be ready for whatever occurs.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm convinced that sometimes an elk will go into shock with the 1st shot. I've seen it several times. I once put 4 rounds into the chest of a bull. One broke the far shoulder. He just stood there the whole time then slowly laid down. The lungs were just a big pile of jello.

The main symptom of shock is low blood pressure. Other symptoms include rapid, shallow breathing; cold, clammy skin; rapid, weak pulse; dizziness, fainting, or weakness. The elk is rapidly dying but it doesn't show. It will seem to just stand there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
. Other symptoms include rapid, shallow breathing; cold, clammy skin; rapid, weak pulse; dizziness, fainting, or weakness.

Gee, those sound like MY symptoms after I shot my first elk!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by southtexas
. Other symptoms include rapid, shallow breathing; cold, clammy skin; rapid, weak pulse; dizziness, fainting, or weakness.

Gee, those sound like MY symptoms after I shot my first elk!

+1 !!!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
KC nailed it. mtmuley

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
saddlesore
I guess I am in the minority about keep shooting until they are on the ground.

No you are not, I automatically chamber another round and stay ready for a shot. Most of the time I don't even remember chambering the second round but its there and ready to go!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A few years ago I shot a medium bull with a 300 WSM at about 200 yds across a draw. He was with another elk. I hit it square in the lungs. Both of them ran about 100 yds across the side hill then stopped and I shot it again, hitting within a couple inches of the 1st hole. It slowly went down then.

I was NOT impressed with the performance of the 180 gr AB's I was using. One blew up on a rib and went nowhere. The other separated and I found pieces through the lungs. I later found the core in the heart. Any decent bullet would have floored him on the spot with my 1st shot. I haven't shot an AB at an animal since. I suspect that my 1st shot was the one that didn't penetrate because he should have never run that far. The 2d looked more like a typical heart shot because of the lead core in it.

BTW - since he was across a draw, I laid down and used my pack as a rest. My head was downhill and he was higher than I was so my rifle was angled up. I got hit as hard as the elk did. Selfie attached:

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I am not as experienced as others here and have a question regarding shooting a bedded elk. I did once, under 100 yards. It did not go well and I probably won't do it again. I harvested the elk but it wasn't as "clean" of a kill as my others including archery kills.

I attributed it to the organs especially a grass-filled stomach being pushed up while the cow was bedded.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A problem with shooting a bedded elk is the position of the 'elbow' on the front leg. It partially covers the heart & lungs. A light bullet might have a problem penetrating. Also, the lower half of the chest is where the vitals are and a bedded elk presents the top half.
I haven't had a need to try it to see if it works but I think I would get ready for a standing shot then whistle softly until it got curious enough to stand up.

― George Orwell

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
[Linked Image]

Rocky:

It's an improvement.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sort of humbling when a nice bull shakes off what you think was a well placed shot. Then shakes off what you think was another well placed shot, and you're watching a dead elk walking.

I am with the shoot till you tag it crowd, elk on the table is a blessing from above. Ammo you bring home did you no good.

May I add that I plugged extra shots into elk to later find I would not have needed to?
Adding accounts from others in ear-shot how rather close those shots were fired.

Sticking with your instincts till you've piled up enough elk to adjust your instincts.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC
[/URL]

Rocky:

It's an improvement.

KC

Funny you should say that. My wife told me to go hunting more often. grin

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A problem with shooting a bedded elk is the position of the 'elbow' on the front leg. It partially covers the heart & lungs. A light bullet might have a problem penetrating. Also, the lower half of the chest is where the vitals are and a bedded elk presents the top half.
I haven't had a need to try it to see if it works but I think I would get ready for a standing shot then whistle softly until it got curious enough to stand up.

I have probably shot a half dozen elk bedded. Most drop their head over. Others might stand up and fall back over in a few seconds.I have done this both with a 30-06 and a 50 cal muzzle loader. Elk that are not alarmed die pretty fast. All were less than 50 yards. Bullets placed at the base of the neck where it meets the chest are the most effetcive if you have a good knowledge of how the spine is locates

The problem with even a low whistle is they know that isn't natural. Most will jump and run only offering you a tail end shot.Even a cow call will spook thme in heavy hnuted area.

AS for elk on the table vs bringing home the ammo.That is not it. It's tearing up more meat when not required.However K Salonelk makes a good poin. Trust your instincts. Which I have grown to trust in shooting enough elk.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/23/15.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot enough elk that I sort of know by feel whether the shot is good and I've never had one run more than 100 yds. However,I like to back it up to keep the elk from getting where I really don't want to have to go after it, like off the side of a really steep ridge.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The bedded Bulls that I have killed, seen killed and helped haul out have either stood or tried to stand after the first shot. Typically they received extra bullets to help them stay put.

A good Marine marksman with 300 Win Mag took out lungs, piece of heart and broke the off side shoulder and the average size bull covered 60+ yards in deep snow before the finisher from my 300 Wby broke its back. The bull was within 100 yards of the public private line so I couldn't let it keep walking. He thought he might have missed and that I should tag it until we cut him up and saw the fatal shot he had put in the bull.

Deer have all laid their heads down for me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like most here, I've seen them vary from falling over to zero reaction upon a killing shot. I hit a walking cow at 50 yards who didn't flinch or anything. A friend watching the whole thing watched her fall over dead about 12 steps after the shot.

Usually, a lung hit will cause them to hunch up, like a guy getting punched in the gut. I keep shooting until they wobble or fall over completely. I've never seen one wobble and not die shortly thereafter. I have seen them get knocked over by a shot, then get up and walk off. If they're in thick oak brush or somewhere I'd have a hard time tracking, I usually go for the high shoulder shot. Everywhere else, I go for the lungs.

Go. Odds are excellent that you'll have a blast even if you don't fill your tag.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
A few years ago I shot a medium bull with a 300 WSM at about 200 yds across a draw. He was with another elk. I hit it square in the lungs. Both of them ran about 100 yds across the side hill then stopped and I shot it again, hitting within a couple inches of the 1st hole. It slowly went down then.

I was NOT impressed with the performance of the 180 gr AB's I was using. One blew up on a rib and went nowhere. The other separated and I found pieces through the lungs. I later found the core in the heart. Any decent bullet would have floored him on the spot with my 1st shot. I haven't shot an AB at an animal since. I suspect that my 1st shot was the one that didn't penetrate because he should have never run that far. The 2d looked more like a typical heart shot because of the lead core in it.

BTW - since he was across a draw, I laid down and used my pack as a rest. My head was downhill and he was higher than I was so my rifle was angled up. I got hit as hard as the elk did. Selfie attached:

[Linked Image]

Seems we are about the only 2 people who haven't had great results with the Accubonds. Shot my first elk with a 260gr last year and was surprised at the lack of penetration. Not that it didn't work, but of the 5'ish bullets I put in him, none hit heavy bone and none exited. Actually not quite true, one was a neck shot at point blank, also didn't exit.These were from a .375 Ruger.
Like others have noted, this one didn't react at all. Eventually made it about 10-20 yards, so that was good but I don't know what would have happened had I hit him in the shoulder. Looking for a tougher bullet if I use it again this year.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KC
[Linked Image]

Rocky:

It's an improvement.

KC

Looks like that 300 penetrated just fine.. whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But no exit wound!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never had issues with the Accubonds on moose then again moose aren't that hard to kill either. When I go elk hunting this year I will try to work up a load using Barnes TSX or partitions. I like to try and break them down by hitting them in the shoulder and hopefully get both shoulders with good penetration hard for an elk to go anywhere with two broke shoulders.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the exception of the three I took with a 45 Colt, a 45/70, and 30/06, the rest, about eleven Bulls were taken with a 340 Bee. Those went down immediately and emphatically and some were up to five hundred yards away. The one eighty-yard sprinter was probably the smallest bull of the bunch and was a satellite bull chasing a cow at the time. Probably thought the herd bull jabbed him one in the ribs..

Edited: most of these were broadside chest shots or close as in slight angles away or toward me with the exception of an Idaho bull who stood 150 yards facing away/ butt toward me but looking back at me. A 250-gr Nos Part in the short ribs never got in but traveled atop and through the ribs exited the hide, re-entered at the base of the neck, broke it and exited the far side.

That's the nice part about a big cartridge and a big bullet. They all drop in their tracks but he made no more tracks.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 06/26/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've only killed four elk but all reacted differently. The first one was a big cow shot while trotting broadside at 60 yards with a 210 gr Barnes X BT from a 338 WM. She bronco kicked then ran as hard as she could for about 75 yards to make it to a nice deep ditch to die in.grin Heart shot on that one.

The next was a small cow shot at 100 yds through the heart with a 150 gr Core lokt 30-06. She took maybe two steps then fell down and thrashed around a bit.

Next was a 5 pt bull shot at 320 yds with a 225 gr Accubond from a 338 RUM. Slightly quartering away shot went through the lungs then shattered the off side shoulder. His front half hit the dirt at the shot then he just stood back up and slowly turned towards me. My Colorado friend said "hit him again!" so I did, through the neck into the chest which dropped him for good. The elk was in heavy oak brush.

The last one was the most dramatic. A bull calf (dang it, thought it was a cow) broadside at a lasered 589 yards with a 200 gr Accubond out of a 300 RUM. No way to get closer and still have a shot due to heavy oak brush. I had verified drops out to 600 yards. Drilled it high shoulder, through the base of both scapulas and the spine. I lost the sight picture in recoil but my partner said his head just jerked back and he dropped straight down.

I would definitely put myself in the camp of shoot until they fall. Had I not practiced that, I would have lost one of the nicest whitetail bucks I have killed. It was after sunset in the woods and I held right on the back of the shoulder at 100 yds with a steady rest. The shot broke perfectly and the deer took off running angling towards me. He stopped at 50 yards so I shot him again, dropping him with a heart shot. Guess what, only one hole in him. The next morning I went over to where the deer had been standing and looked back to where I shot from and there was a webwork of little branches that I hadn't seen through the scope. It would have been a long night of futile searching for a deer that I "knew" was dead had I not fired the second shot.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Shot placement
I'm a neck shooter and they don't make it far or just drop right there.
Learn the elk body and where vitals from different angles

Last edited by Dre; 07/03/15.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 68 invisible), 3,310 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,379
Posts18,469,527
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.