-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's pretty easy to swap barrels with takedowns. They should be checked by a gunsmith but often they'll line up properly. If the barrel will come off (it may not, a lot of them have been "fixed" where they don't come off) you'll notice that the barrel is full threaded and the receiver has interrupted threads. Savage changed from interrupted to full threads about 1920. Murray's book "The 99" has pretty good data on the barrel addresses. I've written a new 99 book that has photos of all the barrel addresses, a lot of other stuff you'd like to know and probably some you aren't interested in. It's at the publisher and we hope they'll get it printed some day. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Kato ,No problem!!! grin Those Savages are tricky ,takes a "LOT" of learning, and if you put a few in a dark corner they have a habit of reproducing!!! Like David said its real easy to swap out barrels on the takedown models. Don

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm not certain which chamberings will function through a 303 rotor, but, maybe someone wanted a switch barrel set and somewhere along the line the original barrel got separated from the set. If you got your rifle "Lettered", you might find it left the factory as something else, just a guess, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
K
Kato Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Is there an address for a letter to find out what configuration and date the rifle left the factory? I don't know how Savage worked but a friend of mine has an 1894 Winchester that the serial number dates 1897 from Winchester Polishing Room records but his letter says it was shipped in 1906. Just wondering if a lapse like this was possible with a Savage 1899? I would like to get a letter for curiosity's sake. The front half of the rifle seems to match the back half so well in regards to finish.

K
Kato Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Originally Posted by Loggah
Kato ,No problem!!! grin Those Savages are tricky ,takes a "LOT" of learning, and if you put a few in a dark corner they have a habit of reproducing!!! Like David said its real easy to swap out barrels on the takedown models. Don

HAHA, if I come across any more 99H or saddle ring carbines these two may have company. I really like the short and handy 99's as opposed to the 26 inch rifles. On the plus side prices are still decent in my area compared to Winchester levers which have become really expensive unless you are buying "grey" guns.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The standard rifles usually shipped pretty quickly. But I have an engraved rifle that was produced in 1901 and left the factory in 1906. There are also rifles with serial numbers that would seem indicate a particular year that were finished and shipped several years later. For example I have a saddle ring carbine with a 1917 era serial number that was finished and shipped in 1919.
You can get a historian letter from J.T. Callahan, P.O.Box 82, South Hampton, Ma. 01073.
Doug Murray, the author of "The 99" has passed away but his wife is still selling the book. I can't find her address now but maybe some other member can help. I'm hoping my book will be out before the end of the year but Murray's will feed your addiction until my book comes out. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kato
Is there an address for a letter to find out what configuration and date the rifle left the factory? I don't know how Savage worked but a friend of mine has an 1894 Winchester that the serial number dates 1897 from Winchester Polishing Room records but his letter says it was shipped in 1906. Just wondering if a lapse like this was possible with a Savage 1899? I would like to get a letter for curiosity's sake. The front half of the rifle seems to match the back half so well in regards to finish.

Yes, if you look in the Misc. Good Info thread there is a note on how to send for information from John T. Callahan. He can look up the original chambering and when it was accepted from the factory, when it shipped, and who it shipped to.

As to a lapse... yes, we've seen rifles that didn't ship for a long time. But it's very, very unusual. More likely than that is that your letter might come back with a note saying that it was sent back in for some kind of factory work - which might have been a new barrel - or something else. But most likely is your letter would just be the normal info.

I, personally, wouldn't be too surprised if it came back lettering as being a 22 High Power originally and somebody later on swapped it to a 303 Savage.

PS: Didn't see David's note before posting mine.

Last edited by Calhoun; 06/15/15.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
K
Kato Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thanks for the info, guys. It will be interesting to find out anyhow. You do see a lot of takedown 99H rifles in .22 Hi-Power even here in Canada. The previous owner had fired the rifle some so I'm not worried about its internals being made for a different calibre.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a lettered 1894 Winchester carbine,pistol gripped,checkered in 32-40. serial number has it at 1896,accepted at warehouse 1896,not shipped until 1914 !!!!!! talk about being stuck in a corner for years !

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a lettered 1894 Winchester carbine,pistol gripped,checkered in 32-40. serial number has it at 1896,accepted at warehouse 1896,not shipped until 1914 !!!!!! talk about being stuck in a corner for years !

How did you find out it was languishing in the warehouse? Did they send you a telegram and you then hopped on a train to go over and take possession? What's it like to own a gun for 101 years? whistle grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Gary, that's one of the reasons I love this site, everyone is older than me, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gary,Winchester letters tell when it is received at the warehouse,and then when they are shipped out !!! I wish i was old enough to have lived back then, i would have a "REAL" nice collection !!! grin grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
+1

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
K
Kato Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K

WOW! That is a long time. Could have been a cancelled order for a special order rifle? You don't see many carbines with a pistol grip especially in .32/40.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How about a 1916 receiver that lettered as shipping in the 30's?

This one belongs to Archeryking, and serial number is in the 187,000's. Factory letter shows it shipping in the 30's though.

[Linked Image]

So it's not flat out impossible that a rifle was shipped later, but it's extremely unlikely. Esepecially if the rest of the rifle configuration looks like an early rifle.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My experience with Winchesters is that guns with special order features typically (but not always) had a longer period of time from the date they were serialized until the date they were shipped from the warehouse....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kato
Thanks for the info, guys. It will be interesting to find out anyhow. You do see a lot of takedown 99H rifles in .22 Hi-Power even here in Canada. The previous owner had fired the rifle some so I'm not worried about its internals being made for a different calibre.

ive had about 10 ,hardest one to find is in 250-3000.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 61 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,164
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.