Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've been using H4350 as well and really like the powder. I notice I don't get the velocity swings with it as compared to the IMR. Not that I see a huge fluctuation with it, but 100 fps in varying temps is not at all too uncommon. 79S, the nice thing about this rifle is it will probably like damn near any bullet you put into it. I've never seen this one be finicky. It's been one of the easiest to please rifles I've had. Probably one of the reasons I've always felt comfortable packing it around while hunting. I'm weird in that I need to feel confident in a rifles ability to place bullet in right place and this one always does that. I can say that there's only one time this one let me down and it was while shooting off sticks in the Carl Ross postal match. Everthing was going perfectly and I was finally kicking my 270's azz with the rifle and everything fell apart on the sticks. I don't know if it was because the rifle just didn't feel right on the sticks or if it's because I don't really like shooting off sticks. Never have. Growing up in Nevada taught me to shoot from the hind legs and get good at it if I wanted to put meat on the table. None of this sitting down chit because the sagebrush was too high anyway laugh wink

One more picture to show what I'm talking about with the Carl Ross postal match:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Great thread and story. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks for the photo essay. Gives lots of options to gaze at and think about.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM
Really great tribute, BSA. Thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed it. cool

J, congrats man!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my '51 '06, also bought from BSA a few years back. Pre-64 30-06 = home run!!

Eric

Update: 79s just got the rifle a few days ago and I think he likes it. Eric, I'm glad you brought up the std wt pre 64 30-06 because these 2 were my favorite 30-06 rifles. Both are extremely solid, accurate, dependable rifles. I'm glad you guys ended up with these rifles because I know you and John (79s) will take good care of them. Lets wish John some good luck on his up and coming elk hunt. I believe it is next week. He'll be packing this classic then. Shoot a big one buddy!!!! Hey Eric, don't forget to post some pics of the 338 after you get it too. These 2 rifles were a long time coming laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best of luck on your hunt, John! You'll be well equipped should you see a good one!

I've really enjoyed the '51 30-06, BSA. It's been such a solid, dependable rifle. It's my go to rifle, and being a 30-06 it's versatile as heck. I love it, and am looking forward to adding the '59 338 Alaskan to the collection. Pickup is on Dec. 1! smile

Eric

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: This thread displays the same schizo approach to rifle modification we all suffer. Great thread here!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM
Best of luck on your hunt, John! You'll be well equipped should you see a good one!

I've really enjoyed the '51 30-06, BSA. It's been such a solid, dependable rifle. It's my go to rifle, and being a 30-06 it's versatile as heck. I love it, and am looking forward to adding the '59 338 Alaskan to the collection. Pickup is on Dec. 1! smile

Eric

Many here will be drooling over that 338!!!

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

53 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.