Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by GunGeek
People need to just chill out. The civil war was over 150 years ago, and no one is talking about bringing back slavery...why are people so up in a tiff??? Social media has created a feeding frenzy. Me personally, I don't care about the Rebel Flag one way or another. I totally get the points of both sides on that one, so whatever happens just happens. But good LAWD, now we're going to dig up someone who's been dead for 150 years and move them? If someone who has been dead for 150 years is causing you THAT much grief, you SERIOUSLY need to be medicated.

Social media isn't the cause. It's just the vehicle.

If somebody calls you on the phone and says that you house is on fire, it wasn't caused by the phone.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SAKO75
http://youwereliedtoabout.com/nbf.htm

No serious historian argues that Forrest organized the Ku Klux Klan. The Klan was begun by six men, whose names are known, in Pulaski, Tennessee. Intended to be a social club, the Klan quickly adopted political goals and began to oppose the Radical Republican plan for Reconstruction. Popular news media today ignore these well established facts, charging that Forrest founded the Klan, and academic historians do not speak out to correct the misinformation.

One prominent historian, Robert Selph Henry, states the issue clearly. Speaking of Forrest he says, His second public career, in the days after the war, however, rests entirely on tradition and legend, for most of what he did in those desperate days of struggle was never written down and some of it,no doubt, never told. The Klan was a secret organization and No man who could have known the fact of his own knowledge ever wrote it down and published it, but it is universally believed in the South, nevertheless, that Forrest was the Grand Wizard.[2] An even earlier historian, John Allan Wyeth, considered the matter of the Klan carefully before writing his biography of Forrest in 1899. Wyeth concluded that Forrest was not intimately involved in the Klan for a very simple reason: he was too obvious a candidate for the position of leader. Forrest felt it was inevitable that suspicion would focus on the Klan as it began to make an effective resistance to the policies of Reconstruction. Of all the men in the South who might be thought to be involved in the organization he knew he would be the first to be suspected of being its leader. Forrest was too good a strategist to occupy such an obvious position. Forrest readily admitted knowledge of the Klan but denied any personal involvement.[3]

Henry is quite honest and very accurate in saying that the Reconstruction Era Klan was, and is, surrounded by legend and mystery. He is true to historical sources in saying that the link of Forrest with the Klan is a matter of tradition and of folk belief, not of demonstrable historic fact. The firmly stated association of Forrest with the Klan is the position taken by more recent writers who have no more facts than Henry did but who choose to draw very different conclusions.

This means that the identification of Forrest as Grand Wizard of the Klan rests on sources written from memory long after the events of the 1860's at a time when the reputation of the Klan was very positive in the minds of many white Americans. No documentation exists which provides solid, historically accurate evidence of the association of Forrest with the Klan.

Nathan Bedford Forrest was a slave trader. That sounds bad to Twenty-first Century ears, but Forrest lived in the Nineteenth Century. His actions must be judged by the morals of that day, not ours.

Forrest was a plantation owner and that means in the minds of some, that he must have been an exploiter of his labor force. Forrest certainly owned plantations. "Plantation" means a place where something is planted; "plantation" is a synonym for "farm," although the denotation is that a "plantation" is larger than a "farm."

Nathan Bedford Forrest should not be viewed as anything more or less than he was----a man of the 19th Century who held the views, attitudes, and values of his time; a man who became a fierce warrior during the conflict of Civil War; and a man who stood for what was widely considered to be fair and reasonable treatment following the end of the fighting. Forrest was not a perfect man, nor was any other character of that era (or of this) but he deserves to be judged fairly, not with preconceived and prejudiced ideas.

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
They will change that statue and remove those graves if that is what they want to do, and there is nothing we the minority can do about it.

Still don't make it right. miles

Well, let's look at this lemon and see if there's any lemonade there.

If it's okay for a simple majority to do these things - desecrate graves, remove statues, ban various symbols, then I know of a lot of places with Caucasians still in the majority.

I'm feelin' the need to change some MLK street signs here and there, maybe even do a few graveyard relocations myself...

Waking up from that pleasant dream, all I see is a pendulum being pushed further and further...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
mayor wharton
Contact

OFFICE (901) 359-1424

CITY HALL (901) 636-6000
email mayormemphistn.gov

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Western side of the River has different folks than the Eastern side. Them Black folk in Forrest City ain't gonna be doing ANYTHING unruly.

[I was gonna say that that they "knows their place", but that sounds sorta racist]

grin A few years back a man (white) was accused by a young woman of raping her. She call him by name and said that even though She did not see his face, She recognized his voice. A few nights later that man was held by some other men and castrated. Now the local Sheriff denied being involved, but kept the mans testicles in a jar on his desk for a long time. This was in Forrest City. Mike Huckabee later pardoned this man and he killed one or more folks in Missouri. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
maybe this can save the general

TENNESSEE PASSES HERITAGE PROTECTION ACT
The N. B. Forrest Camp 215 of Memphis, and the Tennessee Division, Sons of Confederate Veterans are pleased to announce the passage of the Tennessee Heritage Protection Act of 2013.

Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam has recently signed into law the Heritage Protection Act. This law, which applies to the entire state and all cities, prohibits the renaming, removal, or relocating of any military monument or item, such as a statue or flag display, or park, and includes streets and school names, or any other item so honoring a military unit or person. It is effective as of April 1, 2013, and applies to any military item from the French and Indian War through the Mid-East wars, and all US wars in between, including the War Between the States.

This legislation, the basic text of which was written by Lee Millar, SCV Chief of Protocol and Lt Cdr of the Tennessee Division, was introduced to the Legislature by Tenn Div Cdr Mike Beck to the Senate and Millar to the House, and was passed overwhelmingly by both the House and the Senate by a combined vote of 95-25. Thanks also to those many compatriots who wrote in to their senators and representatives in support.

This law will assist in the Memphis issue with the Nathan Bedford Forrest Park anti-renaming campaign, and will clearly hereafter protect the Forrest Statue, as well as the Jefferson Davis Statute, and the SCV Confederate cannons in Confederate Park. It will also protect scores of other Confederate and War For Southern Independence sites throughout Tennessee.

The new law is one of the greatest documents in modern history for the protection and preservation of this state's and nation's military history and heritage. It is hoped that other states will now take up the initiative.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
People need to just chill out. The civil war was over 150 years ago, and no one is talking about bringing back slavery...why are people so up in a tiff??? Social media has created a feeding frenzy. Me personally, I don't care about the Rebel Flag one way or another. I totally get the points of both sides on that one, so whatever happens just happens. But good LAWD, now we're going to dig up someone who's been dead for 150 years and move them? If someone who has been dead for 150 years is causing you THAT much grief, you SERIOUSLY need to be medicated.

Social media isn't the cause. It's just the vehicle.

If somebody calls you on the phone and says that you house is on fire, it wasn't caused by the phone.
I get that, and agree. But the speed of social media is allowing a frenzy to build before anyone can stop and think about how crazy this is getting. Digging people up who have been buried for 150+ years; that's kinda crazy.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
SJW's are crazy. It has nothing to do with the internet.

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Digging people up who have been buried for 150+ years; that's kinda crazy.
not kinda crazy...IT IS CRAZY

― George Orwell, 1984
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I hope it does save the General from being moved. May he rest in peace.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Graves are moved every day for a multitude of reasons. As are statues and memorials. Were it a National Monument it might be different, as is I would think that the city Mayor, especially if working with the majority of the city residents has every right.

If it is such a big deal to some, take up a donation fund to have it moved to someplace more suitable and wanted. Or consider having it made a National Monument for its protection.

Phil

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd like to dig up Memphis and move it to Los Angeles.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Los Angeles as is the case with most of Southern California has cemetery's with hundreds of Civil War veterans grave sites, and held in high regard. As to General Forest and why his and his wife's graves are located within a city park instead of a cemetery I have no idea, but would imagine there was once a good reason. Apparently that reason no longer exist, at least with its residents.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take note how fast liberalism snowballs even in the South. Everyday you have liberals now running amok, running the show as conservatives for the most part shrug and do nothing. WA, OR, CO,NV.. now the South. Liberalism is not just a CA NY thing anymore. Next stop, school curriculum in the Southern States, look for big changes in your kids school curriculum. Out with the old text books, in with the new.

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Los Angeles as is the case with most of Southern California has cemetery's with hundreds of Civil War veterans grave sites, and held in high regard. As to General Forest and why his and his wife's graves are located within a city park instead of a cemetery I have no idea, but would imagine there was once a good reason. Apparently that reason no longer exist, at least with its residents.

Phil
tennessee heritage protection act should stop this race baiting mayor

I see your from left coast cali, not a place i woukd ever live thankfully

Theyve trained yall to be tolerant over there huh

― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Phil

In light of the liberalism running amok in the South right now, we have yet to see those in the South do a thing...so perhaps, hold that thought.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not hardly, I have my views and opinions, and don't begrudge you yours, apparently that fact is not mutual... my heritage comes from the South, and like most of its citizens moved West in the early years.

Phil

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There are so many countries in the world with ruins from Romans,Spaniards and other conquering peoples. Did Germany destroy Auschwitz? It's called a progression of History. Seems that the only zealots destroying history these days are Muslim Extremists and Blacks. GMAFB are these people this stupid?

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not hardly, I have my views and opinions, and don't begrudge you yours, apparently that fact is not mutual... my heritage comes from the South, and like most of its citizens moved West in the early years.

Phil
you imply that because a monument isnt national/federalized that it somehow is ok to move, take down, relocate, you minimalize because its lack of being "national"...there isnt much national i could care about right now but I do care much for local and state

― George Orwell, 1984
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Phil

In light of the liberalism running amok in the South right now, we have yet to see those in the South do a thing...so perhaps, hold that thought.
South Carolina is not giving in and it will take 2/3rds to get rid of the battle flag, even then they might meet in the middle with another CSA flag like bonnie blue

― George Orwell, 1984
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (270cowboy, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 40 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,039
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.