-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone build a Savage 110 using the shillen barrels. I am wanting to build my 338-06 using the Savage action and do the work myself. Anything I should watch out for.

Thank You

I am Canadian.
GB1

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Watch out for feeling like a dumb-a$$ for having spend 3-4x as much on rifles that didn't shoot as well...

My good friend rebarreled an old pre-accu 110 w/ Shilen 9" twisted SS Match mag contour 25-06 AI in a Boyd's w/ NSS lug & nut and it shoots lights out.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
There are videos on youtube you can watch that show how to rebarrel a savage. It's pretty easy, you'll need the nut wrench, an action wrench, and a go gauge. I think a 30-06 go gauge will work for the 338-06. Northland shooters supply has everything you need.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's easy to do, but don't fall into the Savage heavy barrel trap. There are a ton of pre-fits out there but most of them are heavy bull or varmint contours, that regardless of how well they shoot they are worthless on hunting rifles. So get a sporter contour at the least for a .338-06, and I sure wouldn't go heavier than a magnum contour. So your biggest issue will be waiting on Shilen to make you the tube.

Or you could just buy this rifle and have no wait: Mauser .338-06 with dies

I'm not trying to talk you out of building a Savage. They're fun to play with, its kind of late me an adult erector set. Ive built a fey myself, but in the long run there is only about $300-350 difference between it and a M700 build anymore.

You need at a minimum a barrel nut wrench and some way to hold the action or barrel. I've cut blocks of hardwood to hold the barrel and used them in a 6" vise, I have used a piece of leather to hold the action in same vise. Once in a pinch I used a large crescent wrench to hold the recoil lug to remove the barrel nut.

The barrel nut can be stupid tight so using a good penetrant like Kroil for 24 hours prior to removing the nut helps. A little bit of heat from a propane torch or goo heat gun works well too. Don't worry about buying a squared up recoil lug and barrel nut unless you're going to have a the receiver squared up as well. With the floating bolt head the factory stuff works well.

I recommend getting headspace guages, at the very least a go-guage. You can just add scotch tape to the rear of the guage to use it as a no-go. Gauges can be bought from several places, or you can rent a set from companies like 4D. I recommend buying a set of guages if you're going to swap barrels on a regular basis.

Last edited by taylorce1; 06/25/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought one of the heavy stainless 260 barrels from MidwayUSA a few years ago, screwed it into a Savage 11 action, bedded it in a McM Savage Hunter stock, installed a Bushnell 10x, and it has been a very good shooter.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you go with a Shilen barrel (I have several) I'd recommend you order through Northland or "The Barrel Man" Jerry.
They are volume buyers and as such can get a better price than you can if you order direct and the barrel will drop ship direct to you.

Taylorce1 is correct, most barrels that are "in stock" are Varmint or Bull contours and will wear you out, order the weight you will want to carry!
I'll likely be hunting a 338-06 this year as well.
Check E.R.Shaw barrels as well, I have several and will buy more.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm like the old lady that lived in the shoe, I have so many I don't know what to do. I use most barrel manufacturers, have Shilen's, Pac-Nor's, Criterion, Kreiger, Brux's and even a Bergara. Yes they are all heavy varmint barrels, but then I hunt varmints. I really like the Pac-Nor polygonal rifled barrels, super accurate and easy to clean. I use a barrel nut wrench, one of two barrel vises, headspace gauges, and a torque wrench to swap them out - stuff works on the Remington 783 too.

Anyone can do it, and every one of mine shoot ridiculously well, but then I only use the Savage Target Actions.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you for all the information.

I am Canadian.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sorry didn't realize you're in BC. If I had I'd have never recommend buying that .338-06 in the classifieds.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Sorry didn't realize you're in BC. If I had I'd have never recommend buying that .338-06 in the classifieds.

Not to worry. I wish we could go back to the old days when I could buy from the USA.

I am Canadian.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (222Sako, 16gage, 06hunter59, 22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,078
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.