Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Salmon is one of my wife's favorite dinners. I've tried to like it but I just can't get past the strong taste. The local fish market has Copper River sockeye for $25.00 a pound.(It looked beautiful. Nice and red and smelled clean.) I passed because she prefers a thicker fillet and they seemed kinda flat. I usually buy wild caught salmon for her and a nice tuna steak for me.
So is it worth the premium price?
Thanks
Doug

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes and no.

CR has the cache of being first on the market starting in May. They do a terrific job of marketing their fish with AK Air flying it to Seattle within hours of being caught, getting the catch on the news, etc. That's why it commands the price it does, IMO.

Could one tell CR from Kenai, Kasilof, or any other bright, fresh, wild, ocean-caught sockeyes? Again, IMO, no.

Then again, if that's what your wife likes, get it!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
yep. Think of it as an investment. laugh

Sam......

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just bought 8 fresh lbs of wild SE from Costco at 9.99 a lb. Foodsavered it up just like they do it in Alaska!!

My freezer and I are pretty happy right now.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a good chance the fish came from the Gulkana Hatchery, they put about 22 million fry into the system every year.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with IB. It's premium because it's fresh, the rest is just marketing.

Looks like my fishing will be a bit limited this year so I just made a deal for 30#'s of sockeye. I'll pick them up at the dock, right out of the slush ice. grin it's a little cheaper that way.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't waste any like this David!

[Linked Image]

Here's a reco:
[Linked Image]

You should visit. wink

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mike---Oh yeah!!!

Been there several times and met the ones on the ground. BUT on my next visit I have lots of new Fire friends to meet and greet!! grin

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sockeye is sockeye.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never dipnetted the Copper and Kenai on the same years, so I've never been able to do a side by side comparison between the fish, though we have caught and consumed 100's of them over the years. Also where the Copper fish are caught they've been in the river for over a week vs. catching them at the mouth of the Kenai. I do believe with the longer run the Copper fish make that they have a higher oil content and hence are a bit sweeter.

To me it is not so much the river as whether the fish is handled in a premium way: caught, immediately bled, gutted, put in an ice slush and delivered to market within 48 hours while having been kept on ice the whole time then yes I would say it is worth a premium as fresh ocean caught salmon cooked within a few hours to a few days of being caught is a premium product worth the effort or price.

Properly handled and cooked people who aren't even salmon fans seem to have no problems finishing their portions and asking for more. All it needs is a light seasoning and to be cooked until the flesh just firms up.

[Linked Image]

If you look at where I cut into the fillet on the right hand side you can see the internal flesh hasn't quite turned color but pulling it off at this point it finished firming up by cooking under its contained heat.

I've used sockeye as a substitue for many tuna recipes and find it makes a wonderful sashimi, poke, seared etc.

IC B3

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The at the mouth Kenai river sockeye salmon is one of the prettiest and grand fish you can find anywhere. They are just gorgeous. That said if you place a CR red fillet and a Kenai R red fillet side by side, prepped and cooked the same there is a difference. One is not better just different. I have done this several times to confirm this. Again, both are superb but there is a difference.
Fremont, I will disagree with your assessment. Much like saying beer=beer.

Last edited by pak; 06/30/15.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pete,

So can you tell from the pic if that's a Copper or Kenai sockeye? Not a trick question, I took the pic so long ago I'm not sure.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope, sure can't. Differences are more tactile than visual. Has to be side by side as the differences are subtle. Fat quanity and moisture retention mostly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fremont
Sockeye is sockeye.

I disagree, too. There are some sockeyes in some very short systems that are tiny and nowhere close to as rich as a Kenai or Copper red.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I know is its getting time to be picking some up. But with the goat rope the Kenai has become I'm debating justing going to Seward and getting Coho's in the salt. With the four of us, two days work would yield a years supply.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm thinking the reds should be in the Coghill this time of year. Very doable with your boat.

Last edited by pak; 06/30/15.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 17 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.