Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I have been hauling around a .204 for 3 years now, shooting oodles of gophers with it. JB has always said the .204 was the shiz for prairie dogs, but I didn't get to use it on any until this week.
It is indeed the shiz and if the wind is up ( it usually is on the prairie...) I'm liking the 40 grainers.
The .204 is to gophers and Prairie dogs what salt is to slugs.....

Now...to see how many rounds it takes to burn a barrel.... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What? JB got it right?

Well, that just confirms the total consistency and accuracy of his posts.

No surprise there. We are very fortunate to have him at the Fire.

Steve

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tom,

Glad it worked OK!

What 40's did you use? (Am guessing they were plastic-tips?)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, he was wrong. What you want is a .223AI with a fast twist..... Haha!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Yep, Vmaxes...

32s did great too, till the wind kicked up.It was so freaking hot the last few days that the gun would almost instantly start shooting high, so my 200 yd. zero seemed to stretch a bit grin
I can't relate to you jot hot the gun got, on the last session today there wasn't an inch of it you could comfortably touch ( bright sunlight warmed up lotsa parts ...)
The barrel got a LOT hotter than I like, and I was shooting two guns. There was simply no way to keep them cool, so Im guessing I might have shortened the barrel life a tad. whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I bring some cold water to pour on 'em. So far have never been able to tell it hurt anything.

One year in northwestern Kansas it was around 105 and my shooting partner caught the forend of his walnut-stocked .2-250 on fire. Well,at any rate it started smoking visibly. Dunked the front half of the rifle in a big cooler full of melted ice-water to put it out.

During similar circumstances, somebody once asked Melvin Forbes if he didn't think the barrel of his rifle was getting a little hot. Melvin said, "What day of the week is it?"

Somebody replied, "Saturday."

Melvin said, "I do believe Douglas will be making more barrels on Monday."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Melvin said, "I do believe Douglas will be making more barrels on Monday."
Dang! Right again!

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yep, Vmaxes...

32s did great too, till the wind kicked up.It was so freaking hot the last few days that the gun would almost instantly start shooting high, so my 200 yd. zero seemed to stretch a bit grin
I can't relate to you jot hot the gun got, on the last session today there wasn't an inch of it you could comfortably touch ( bright sunlight warmed up lotsa parts ...)
The barrel got a LOT hotter than I like, and I was shooting two guns. There was simply no way to keep them cool, so Im guessing I might have shortened the barrel life a tad. whistle

Have you tried spraying them with starting fluid? I spray it into and onto combo gun barrels to speed working up loads.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
CO2

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ice cubes.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Have you tried spraying them with starting fluid? I spray it into and onto combo gun barrels to speed working up loads.

frown

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even those cans of computer duster gets cold when you shoot them with a steady stream of air. Might be cheaper than buying cans of starting fluid. Also won't have to worry about possibly damaging wood sock as starting fluid can be very harsh.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
WellIve smoldered a couple wood stocks before, and we even had a bolt gun cook off a round one day on a PD shoot...which I remembered and was careful not to have a round chambered until right before I shot. But we got into a number of patches where it was load and shoot as fast as you could for the first 50 rounds...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I've seen a few rounds cooked off.

Have found water works fine for cooling off barrels, and is pretty cheap. Keep a 2-3 gallons in my pickup just for trips to the range this time of year. Some even goes inside the shooter....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

40 grain plastic tips in a 222 mag, even more splatter...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
You gotta love it when splash-back reaches the truck.... laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Even those cans of computer duster gets cold when you shoot them with a steady stream of air. Might be cheaper than buying cans of starting fluid. Also won't have to worry about possibly damaging wood sock as starting fluid can be very harsh.

Good idea!! I take the combo gun barrels off to cool them, so the starting fluid doesn't touch wood.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What wipers were made for...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
That gives me the warm fuzzies....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
For the record, the highest "lift" I've ever seen on a PD occurred with a .204, shooting 40-grain "AccuTip" factory ammo, which are Hornady V-Max's with Remington-green tips.

Have some 250-bullet boxes of Z-Maxes picked up on sale when some store apparently couldn't sell 'em a couple years ago. They of course are also V-Maxes but with pale green tips. Dunno if they would lift any higher, but who knows what zombie power might do?

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.