Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
[Linked Image]

That's not much of a "boat tail". I personally have seen better accuracy from flat based bullets, unless I'm shooting past 400 yards. After that, the boat tail bullets buck the wind better. This attributes to better accuracy at longer range..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My best short range BR rifles preferred boattails although the boat tail was relatively short. I liked that one could make boattails without the pressure ring at the base which was always present on the flat-based bullets. Not many custom makers make boat tails suitable for short range BR and I suspect that is as large a factor in the prevalence of the FB bullets in the BR venues as anything else. GD

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Could be.

It could also be that the few who do make the boattails so short there's really not much difference between them and a flat-base.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Not much difference but enough to make a difference in loading and sizing. I don't really think boat tails are necessarily more accurate; they just shot better in my rifles. I am unable to pronounce one design better than the other because I don't really KNOW. Others have no trouble in making such a pronouncement. Could be that they do know. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am just parroting the competitive shooters on the usenet before the www 20 years ago:
flat base out to 200 y
boat tail beyond 200 y

I kill most big game between 400 and 500 yards, so I use boat tail bullets.

Part of the reason is I can't hit anything beyond 500 y and I can do very well on the targets at 400 yards, so I stalk until it is a sure thing.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

I did some asking around elsewhere about barrel attributes, specifically crown and leade angles.

After having a target crown get dinged and looking into getting it recrowned, a gunsmith friend recommended a piloted reamer that imparts a 45 degree chamfer into the muzzle. The depth is such that the chamfer extends slightly wider than the grooves. I had it done, and the rifle shoots respectably, as well as having shot both flat and boat tail base bullets about equally well. I don't really understand this stuff well enough to understand what this alteration has accomplished, but I'm fairly certain the crown is less likely to get dinged.

When I asked what the relationship was between ogive and leade angle, I got a surprising answer from a barrel maker/gunsmith. His response was that the leade angle slowly changes over time to conform more effectively with the bullet's ogive, wearing it in as it were, and suggested that this was a particularly good reason to pick a bullet and stick with it as long as possible.

Greg

Good marksmanship is no accident
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmm, I suppose this is why we handload and try different loads in our rifle's to see what works. Just a guess.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.