-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 30 of 35 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 34 35
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gene, I think that you summed it up nicely. I know that you like Mike, and so do I, but I was raised in Arkansas and the schools were still teaching things a little different when I attended. Plus a lot of the old timers remembered a lot of stuff that they saw and was told by people that lived it. Story about a man that lived close to where I now live, and that is buried in the same cemetery that I will be buried, about a former Yank Soldier that stopped by his place years after the war. He would not give the former soldier a drink of water, but would water his horse. Told the former soldier to get his water out of the ditch. Very few slaves around where I live, but quit a few on the other side of White River where the soil was better for cotton. Of course my ancestors moved here from Mississippi after the war. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let's watch Birdwatcher as he once again avoid the logical argument about his fundamentally flawed position.

Hmm.... What was that about intellectual honesty?

Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Can't be; Birdwatcher has told us time and again that it was all only about slavery...

???

Where did I do that?

I have stated truthfully that...

1) The Southern Constitution, their very self-declared identity as a people, was specifically written to enshrine and perpetuate slavery.

and....

2) In all five cases where the leaders of a Confederate State actually sat down and enumerated causes for posterity, slavery was listed front and center.

Birdwatcher

Even if this BS is accepted at face value, so what? You've already acknowledged that a people should be free to break away from a gov't that no longer represents them. The U.S. Supreme Court had ruled slavery legal less than a decade prior. Nowhere in the Constitution of the United States does it prevent a state or states from seceding. Nowhere in the Constitution does it grant the POTUS the authority to do what Lincoln did against the South.

Thus, you have a free people declaring independence from a gov't that no longer represents them and giving their legal, Constitutional rationale for the same. Conversely, you have a federal government listing its unconstitutional, illegal rationale for preventing said independence; and not once listing slavery as the reason behind the invasion.

Therefore, you're continually supporting an illegal, unconstitutional subjugation of an otherwise Constitutionally permitted secession based upon a revisionist agenda and rationale. Basically, you're contradicting that which you say a free people can and should be able to do because you "feel" that one of their rationales for such action is immoral.

That's a damned slippery, and damned dangerous slope you've put yourself on. Be prepared to slide down it to your own demise whenever the gov't decides that it "feels" some of your freedoms are immoral.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
Gene, I think that you summed it up nicely. I know that you like Mike, and so do I, but I was raised in Arkansas and the schools were still teaching things a little different when I attended. Plus a lot of the old timers remembered a lot of stuff that they saw and was told by people that lived it. Story about a man that lived close to where I now live, and that is buried in the same cemetery that I will be buried, about a former Yank Soldier that stopped by his place years after the war. He would not give the former soldier a drink of water, but would water his horse. Told the former soldier to get his water out of the ditch. Very few slaves around where I live, but quit a few on the other side of White River where the soil was better for cotton. Of course my ancestors moved here from Mississippi after the war. miles

Mike's only avoided that logical argument three times now; why expect him to change and recognize that his position is logically indefensible?

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If your friend complained to me about the Confederate flag on public property, I WOULD be crass enough to tell him that I'm offended by driving on streets in our Texas towns named for a rabble-rousing, adulterous, sham of a christian preacher, but I accept it as blackmail paid by others, not me.

There's more'n a few Black Christian career military around here. Like most vets, most of the ones I've met lean Conservative, including the outspoken Minister of a major local church.

So dunno how he feels about Martin Luther King street, or Cesar Chavez Boulevard for that matter.

Anyways, what does that have to do with the flag issue?

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your friend complained to me about the Confederate flag on public property, I WOULD be crass enough to tell him that I'm offended by driving on streets in our Texas towns named for a rabble-rousing, adulterous, sham of a christian preacher, but I accept it as blackmail paid by others, not me.

There's more'n a few Black Christian career military around here. Like most vets, most of the ones I've met lean Conservative, including the outspoken Minister of a major local church.

So dunno how he feels about Martin Luther King street, or Cesar Chavez Boulevard for that matter.

Anyways, what does that have to do with the flag issue?

Birdwatcher

It's "offensive to some", ergo it's analogous.

You continue to hide from the logical dismemberment of your position.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
and what is his position on the Stars and Stripes, that flew over his wife's ancestors for a much longer time? miles

Miles, the guy was career military, and now teaches those same values to high school kids.

What do you suppose his position was?

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and what is his position on the Stars and Stripes, that flew over his wife's ancestors for a much longer time? miles

Miles, the guy was career military, and now teaches those same values to high school kids.

Birdwatcher

Sounds like hypocritical, if he has a problem with the Battle Flag.

Then again, that's only logical, and you're clearly showing an aversion to such arguments.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
et's watch Birdwatcher as he once again avoid the logical argument about his fundamentally flawed position.

I would be intellectually dishonest if I did not freely admit the logical inconsistencies in my position, but I have done so freely, since early on in this thread.

If the South had written into their Constitution several Articles that condoned and enabled child abuse, what would your own position be then?

Give me a straight answer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have questions already awaiting you. Answer them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If the South had written into their Constitution several Articles that condoned and enabled child abuse, what would your own position be then?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
et's watch Birdwatcher as he once again avoid the logical argument about his fundamentally flawed position.

I would be intellectually dishonest if I did not freely admit the logical inconsistencies in my position, but I have done so freely, since early on in this thread.

BTW - your hypothesis is complete horseschit, but I'm learning to not expect much else from you.

My position on what the Southern states did is well stated. You aren't intellectually, or at this point morally, honest enough to address them on point.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles, of course Mike is a good friend... I won't argue with a man I don't like.

As far as the Civil War..... this country where I was born, raised, and still live was THE FRONTIER at the time it took place.

So, with the Union soldiers leaving the forts and going back East, the folks around here had their hands full with the Indians.

There wasn't much Confederate/Union talk when I was a kid, but there was plenty of Yankee hatred because of the Republican Reconstruction years.

It's doubtful that the flag in question was ever carried anywhere around here, but it still is revered because of opposition to a common foe...... Washington, D C.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 222Rem
Originally Posted by SAKO75
Again back to the battle flag. The monuments,.....

Bw has some black friends offended by battle flag so it shouldnt be flown at a monument....sounds like orwell had a crystal ball

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
― George Orwell, 1984"

WOW! He nailed it..........66yrs ago.

SAKO, if you are the sort of man who knowingly and unapologetically repeats a lie, there is really nothing I can do for you.

Sako and 222Rem, my Black friend is a retired Military Noncom, I dunno how long he served exactly but obviously long enough for a comfortable retirement income.

At present he is employed by choice as an JROTC instructor at a large, lower-income urban high school, instilling values of honor, love of country and integrity into youth who sorely need such a role model. They love him, he loves them, over the years he has turned several lives around.

His position on the flag, as stated to me is, that flag flew over the enslaved ancestors of his wife, children and grandchildren. While he doesn't believe it is synonymous with hate, neither does he want it flown in state-supported locations.

You can ridicule his position if ya want, but I doubt you'd be crass enough to do it to his face.

considering you know nothing about me, im not sure youre qualified to judge what i would/would not do. Either way, it makes no difference to me if he served Or not, it doesnt make his opinion more valid or mine less.im sorry if i misrepresented your prior comments. My point is some people will be offended at some things no matter what. He was never a slave and neither was his mother. He never knew any of the relatives that,were slaves either.
[Linked Image] what does he think about this pic, the klan at its peak in the early 1900s waved old glory exclusively. Does he care?

He needs to grow a thicker skin.

If you give an inch.....
http://blackconservative360.blogspot.com/2015/06/robert-george-confederate-flag-and.html?m=1 this guy wants andrew jackson off the 20$ bill because of slavery!!! If we open this appeasing the offended, where will it end?

Flying a flag at a confederate monument to me you cant have one without the other, take one then take both, and im sure youre friend woukd be ok with that...

Sorry your friend was no robert e lee, NBF, stonewall jackson, etc...those monuments need to stay

Last edited by SAKO75; 06/30/15.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of the Klan, in which state did the Boys in the White Hood hold the most political power and social influence?

Last edited by hillbillybear; 06/30/15.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My guess is Illinois...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is no evidence Smithwick ever took military action against the Confederacy, he did stay out of the state thereafter so as to avoid righteous violence against those who had murdered his friends.

More likely, he knew what his former neighbors and friends would think of his actions and that they had long memories.

There wasn't much Reconstruction in Texas. Most Freedman's Bureau agents were killed or run off, so there wouldn't have been anyone to protect him from the righteous anger of his betrayed countrymen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
My guess is Illinois...

Pretty close. It was Indiana.

http://www.in.gov/library/2848.htm

And just to help soothe Birdy a bit. Here is a wiki link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Klan and some help for the creation of a lesson plan:

Klan Lesson Plan

Last edited by hillbillybear; 06/30/15.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I figure that He is proud as hell of Old Glory, but that just shows that it is not about the flag flying over slave states. They want to undo or rewrite history and it can't be done successfully. They (blacks) as a whole want to be mad over things that did not happen to them, at people that had nothing to do with it. Now I do not think that slavery was right, but it was the law of the land at the time. Not only here but in lots of other places. They also want us to be ashamed of our heritage, but I will not now nor ever be. miles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not addressed at me but I would have condemned it. But it is an apples/oranges question. One was legal, the other not so much, even though it happened a lot. miles

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Of nigra youfs? To teach them manners and knock out their fondness to be shifless and lazy. Hell yeah! Spare the rod and spoil the nigra... Plenty of evidence of that up here North thanks to the South for sending them to us - NOT

Page 30 of 35 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 34 35

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,208
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.