-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 33 of 35 1 2 31 32 33 34 35
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdwatcher has stated and agreed with the premise that a free people have the right to break away from a gov't that no longer represents them. That is a fundamental human right.

Yep.

It has been established that the Southern states did exactly that, and for exactly that reason.

In their OWN WORDS, the major freedom they were concerned about was the freedom to keep one third of their population in chattel slavery and the freedom to expand that system.

It has even further been established that Lincoln had no authority whatsoever under the law or the Constitution to take any actions that he did; including arresting and detaining US citizens in MD and elsewhere, detaining and replacing the MD legislature and governor, turning cannons on the city of Baltimore, and/or invading the now free and independent Southern states or any states at all.

And half a million Americans were willing to die to preserve the Union, even if it meant doing those things. I would have been among that number.

Thus, when one distills out the remainder of Birdwatcher's position, the fundamental rights to freedom and self-determination are crushed under the boot heel of tyranny with no more justification than "it's for the children"....

Yet no outrage at all that a small proportion of the Southern population were able to pervert so much, so that all of those Southern soldiers wre dying for a document as foul as the Southern Constitution?

Ya know, there are all sorts of "rich people", heck your average American IS rich compared to most of the World's population.

More power to 'em, rich people provide jobs and can accomplish much good.

More irony here... Implicit in your statement is an assumption that the wealthy plantation society of the Antebellum South typified "rich people" everywhere.

An absurdity of course.

[Under such a "moral Crusade", Birdwatcher would unabashedly endorse and support the subjugation of American citizens etc etc etc

Few "support" these things, not even a Lincoln, the old status quo was restored as soon as possible. Another irony being had not a certain degenerate Southerner assassinated Lincoln, Reconstruction would have been less onerous.

As for the rest, what WE would do today?

Two things would have to happen......

About twenty states would have to initiate a system where one third of their population was held in absolute degradation supported by a specifically rewritten "Constitution" .

and....

They would all have to decide to leave the United States.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Terminally White Guilt Liberal then. Its still BS but maybe it will make you feel better.

I always get this cliche too grin

I grew up in a still all-White England, lived for three years in an all-Black Africa, and have spent nearly the last thirty in a place where eight out of ten folks (Hispanics) are genetically mostly American Indian.

It has been my experience that one of the things that makes people all alike is the universal conviction that they themselves are somehow different.

I think racial pretensions are among the most pathetic of our vanities, and I'm dead-set against race-based anything; quotas, affirmative action, "hate" crimes legislation, the works....

OK, what else ya got?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just agree to disagree, since no amount of dialog or the citing of data from that long ago time is going to change anyone's mind. And, since the American Civil War was decided over 150 years ago, nothing said or done today will change the out come or all things, both good and bad, that came out of it.

Regardless of what you believe to be the "real" truth, you're right.

Or so it seems to me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you state that only 1 in 3 southerners in 1860 thought it was about slavery, so that means it was all about slavery?

What kind of common core mathematics is that?

No, the absolutely appalling stat is that one in three Southerners was enslaved by the other two-thirds.

And the recent link I provided states that HALF of all Southerners were either a slave, or from a slave-owning family.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Terminally White Guilt Liberal then. Its still BS but maybe it will make you feel better.

I always get this cliche too grin

I grew up in a still all-White England, lived for three years in an all-Black Africa, and have spent nearly the last thirty in a place where eight out of ten folks (Hispanics) are genetically mostly American Indian.

It has been my experience that one of the things that makes people all alike is the universal conviction that they themselves are somehow different.

I think racial pretensions are among the most pathetic of our vanities, and I'm dead-set against race-based anything; quotas, affirmative action, "hate" crimes legislation, the works....

OK, what else ya got?

Nothing except you are liberal and not worth any more time and consideration on my part.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you state that only 1 in 3 southerners in 1860 thought it was about slavery, so that means it was all about slavery?

What kind of common core mathematics is that?

No, the absolutely appalling stat is that one in three Southerners was enslaved by the other two-thirds.

And the recent link I provided states that HALF of all Southerners were either a slave, or from a slave-owning family.

You find it necessary justification to speak in absolutes when it suits you? But in exception when needed.

1/2 the population were either slaves of from a slave owning family, which, given 1/3 were slaves, that must mean 1/6 of the south were slave owning families.

That leaves a 3 to 1 ratio of whitey's that didn't have slaves, and yet, again, it was all about slavery....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BIRD WATCHER

you disparage the south over slavery, yet lincoln, us grant, the northern and the non rebellion states get a pass.
You also must think blacks were treated as a whole far worse than indians...

Lets see blacks who were enslaved in africa by blacks, sold to live here vs indians living free here, made to leave their native land and massacred by the thousands...

So which was worse?

Does old glory have any room to throw stones at the battle flag or does it too live in a glass house? And if so, wont the "offended" come calling for it in the future as well....?

Last edited by SAKO75; 07/01/15.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by SAKO75
Bw

Who was treated worse

Indians or blacks?

The Federal gov't invaded, waged total war against, and subjugated them, too... "for the children". Therefore, under Birdwatcher "logic", it was completely permissible and in fact the "morally right thing to do".

The sooner we dive into Mexico to straighten them out, the better.

I'll answer all three at once.

RWE, Mexico is not the United States. The United States is my country, Mexico is not.

Now for the American Indian versus slave question...

Who was better off?

There are numerous cases of slaves running off to join the Indians, not many of Indians running off to join the slaves (a few IIRC in the Eighteenth Century, back East, but only in the last stages of desperation).

Worth noting is the role of Black Seminoles in the Seminole War. In that conflict at least a few hundred former slaves or descendants of the same actually bore arms against the forces of the United States. Even more remarkable yet, they were allowed to remove to the Indian Territory WHILE STILL BEARING ARMS. The closest thing to a successful slave insurrection in our history.

As to the treatment of "the Indians".... "the Indians" themselves did not see themselves as such, rather on the whole they were members of their own tribe, who's members were not necessarily all "Indians".

If being killed is the ultimate denial of one's rights, the sad truth is that up until the very end of our Frontier period more Indians died at the hands of other Indians then were ever killed by Whites (and disease and starvation offed far more than both those).

As for treaties, the Frontier Period encompasses a very long time, and many disparate locations. A typical pattern was a treaty being initially made in good faith, but rapid demographic changes in the form of an exploding White population changing everything.

Many treaties were made cynically, using a few compliant drunks as signers, but one of the biggest frauds was perpetrated by the Iroquois who, in order to divert White settlement from their own lands, in the Mid-Eighteen Century, sold West Virginia and Kentucky out from under the feet of the tribes who actually lived there.

So, while their ain't much to be proud of in our treatment of the Indians, I'm not recalling they were enslaved en masse on a scale remotely like that of our African slavery.

In fact, lots of Indians even owned slaves, tho not often under the absolute terms of American chattel slavery....

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Birdwatcher has stated and agreed with the premise that a free people have the right to break away from a gov't that no longer represents them. That is a fundamental human right.

Yep.

That's all that matters.
[quote]It has been established that the Southern states did exactly that, and for exactly that reason.

In their OWN WORDS, the major freedom they were concerned about was the freedom to keep one third of their population in chattel slavery and the freedom to expand that system.

Irrelevant, as is governed by the first premise.

It has even further been established that Lincoln had no authority whatsoever under the law or the Constitution to take any actions that he did; including arresting and detaining US citizens in MD and elsewhere, detaining and replacing the MD legislature and governor, turning cannons on the city of Baltimore, and/or invading the now free and independent Southern states or any states at all.

And half a million Americans were willing to die to preserve the Union, even if it meant doing those things. I would have been among that number.

Irrelevant. Lincoln had no legal authority to take those measures and the right of a people to break away from a gov't that no longer represents them governs the point.

Thus, when one distills out the remainder of Birdwatcher's position, the fundamental rights to freedom and self-determination are crushed under the boot heel of tyranny with no more justification than "it's for the children"....

Yet no outrage at all that a small proportion of the Southern population were able to pervert so much, so that all of those Southern soldiers wre dying for a document as foul as the Southern Constitution?

Ya know, there are all sorts of "rich people", heck your average American IS rich compared to most of the World's population.

More power to 'em, rich people provide jobs and can accomplish much good.

More irony here... Implicit in your statement is an assumption that the wealthy plantation society of the Antebellum South typified "rich people" everywhere.

An absurdity of course.

Irrelevant and completely off point.

[Under such a "moral Crusade", Birdwatcher would unabashedly endorse and support the subjugation of American citizens etc etc etc

Few "support" these things, not even a Lincoln, the old status quo was restored as soon as possible. Another irony being had not a certain degenerate Southerner assassinated Lincoln, Reconstruction would have been less onerous.

As for the rest, what WE would do today?

Two things would have to happen......

About twenty states would have to initiate a system where one third of their population was held in absolute degradation supported by a specifically rewritten "Constitution" .

and....

They would all have to decide to leave the United States.

Birdwatcher

Irrelevant. The right to self-determination governs; there was no legal authority in existence then to supercede the same.

Where do we invade next, "for the children"?

Your position is logically, factually, and fundamentally unsound; it is indefensible as a matter of consistency or logic and is based entirely upon revisionist justifications and "moral judgment" over the rule of law and the basic freedoms of self-determination.

As stated time and again, you have no intellectual honesty on this position because such a trait requires both consistency and logic.

Last edited by 4ager; 07/01/15.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, let's sum this up...

It has been established that the Southern states did exactly that, and for exactly that reason.

It has further been established that slavery - while undeniably odious - was both Constitutional under the U.S. Constitution and therefore legal as well.

Birdwatcher has at least implicitly agreed with all of these established facts.

Yet, he continues to support the illegal, unconstitutional actions of Lincoln against the very premise of self-determination he says he supports. He even acknowledges that such support is illogical, yet remains steadfast in keeping such an illogical position. The justification for that has now devolved to "it's for the children".

Just stop and think about that for a second. Under Birdwatcher's justification of an illogical, illegal, unconstitutional series of actions, all that is needed is for the central Federal gov't to decide/decree that another free people's actions are "immoral" or "unethical" and that the Federal gov't decide that to overthrow them is best "for the children".

Under such a "moral Crusade", Birdwatcher would unabashedly endorse and support the subjugation of American citizens (MD example), including the arrest and detention of duly elected representative government, suspension of habeas corpus and all other rights, confiscation of firearms and other lawfully held personal property, and threat of military bombardment of a civilian population.

Moreover, under his same "Crusade", the same pitiful excuse is all that is needed in order to launch a full military campaign and invasion of another sovereign nation, complete with conscription of soldiers to fight said war; and tacit or explicit endorsement of "total war" (i.e., war against all parties in that now invaded nation, including against civilians).

Thus, when one distills out the remainder of Birdwatcher's position, the fundamental rights to freedom and self-determination are crushed under the boot heel of tyranny with no more justification than "it's for the children".

I have no doubt that Birdwatcher will be reminded of this here at every turn when those like Hussein, Clinton, Pelosi, Sarah Brady, Schumer, Feinstein, Pelosi, Bloomberg, Soros, and all their ilk tell us what freedoms we need to give up because doing so is "for the children". Likewise, I know that Birdwatcher will be among the first to give up his freedoms, perhaps today, in support of those same "moral Crusades" to protect said children; here and abroad.

Furthermore, I hope Birdwatcher will rejoin us to let us all know which sovereign nations we should invade with such force of will as to reinstitute the draft and wage "total war" against because they, too, might be governed by a handful of "evil rich" and because such an invasion would be "for the children". I've no doubt such a list would be quite long and lead to an imperialist "moral Crusade" the likes of which the world has never known. Yet, it will be completely justifiable, according to Birdwatcher, because the "evil rich" must be vanquished "for the children". Perhaps Birdwatcher, as he said he would do were he alive in 1861, will be among the first to volunteer and lead such a "moral Crusade" to save all the world's children?

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But blacks that ended up here, were going to be enslaved in africa or elsewhere

Also i think black population here has increased in the last 150 years, have the indians?

Which slavemasters treated their slaves worse than the indians at the trail of tears or wounded knee?

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Point of interest; in Africa I lived among the Ashantis, who made a fortune capturing and exporting their neighbors, and once a friend and I crossed ninety miles of roadless bush on foot over Ghana's Afram Plains, an area still depopulated as a result of prior slave raids.

My closest friend in my village was a WWII Veteran who had fought the Japanese in Burma (the British Gold Coast Regiment). His mother had been captured by the Ashantis as a slave.

Look, moral equivalency is irrelevant here.

We are not talking subjugation of the Indians here (tho actually too, lots of Frontier Whites were subsequently displaced as ruthlessly as any Indian), or child labor in Vietnam, or sex -slavery in Thailand.

We are talking about the War Between the States.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Really? an opinion not supported by facts...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
4agers, you're endlassly swinging and missing.

I am being as concise as possible. PLease do the same.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been extremely concise and on point, as well as logically consistent.

You have not, and it shows.

Based upon your premise, what sovereign nation do we invade next "for the children", and how soon do you enlist and support drafting others to effect that total war invasion?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell, you've agreed with the logical summation of your position that I posted!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My point is its hard to tell the battle flag "youre bad", without saying equal to old glory

― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Certainly supported by Faith. See on Judgement Day, the fact that I used to be genetically Irish Celt will be totally irrelevant, for Eternity, and since Eternity is for a very long time, it makes everything here sorta irrelevant in the big picture, or so I believe.

As for the rest, I have met Africans who were decidedly smarter than me (many here will believe that not hard, I know grin), and I have met Asians who seemed dumber (so far the Jews are doing pretty good).

Its that whole Bell Curve thing, and overlap, and deciding where one race leaves off and another begins, and the fact that while I have met lots of individuals, I have never yet met a "race".

Pertinent to this thread, the Virginia Planter Thomas Jefferson penned a principle well-worth dying for We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Not surprisingly, he was pressured by his fellow slave-owning Southerners to remove it crazy

Jefferson's phrase to me is America in a nutshell, our founding principle, why you and me were able to come here and enjoy the lives we have had...

..and marry Germans if we want.

Birdwatcher

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 07/01/15.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jorge...opinions unsupported by facts..... that is your specialty.

Bricktop who is really Robert Brown who lives at 830 Willment Place in Edmond OK and is also using Miles Massey in his nasty attacks on members who have serious physical illnesses accompanied by 4ager who is Sean Clarkson who is using John Hopkins University computers to post here while he should be working. Brickhead is no bigshot at Oklahoma University, in fact they have never heard of him and 4ager ..... well another member whom he has attacked with lies, slander and threats is letting his misuse of JHU computers slip to the appropriate people there.
The net is closing on the lead troll, FOestology aka cat taco man. He really flipped out when it was revealed that yet another group of members have retained a P.I. to run him to ground. When the cold, hard light of truth is shown upon these cowards, they will go to ground faster than a gopher who just had it hair parted by a 22-250.
100s of active user I.D.s in place. You wimps can ban until HE double L freezes over and you still will be outed as fast as the information is acquired. THEN when you make your threats to harm other members (the last refuge of a yellow belly scum sucking dog) you will find actions have consequences.
You dolts started this fight but you will not ever finish it.
Quick now, run to Mr. Post Count aka Bin and get this user ID banned,
You have had so many banned, you have lost track. What you are too stupid to realize is that you have thrown a lot of innocents under the bus in your quest to have absolute control of the site. So instead of a few poed folks you now have a dozen plus linked by email and phone who are cooperating to ensure your miserable lives only become moreso.

We're here, (you think) we're queer, get used to it you racist, homophobic, women hating azzwipes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Certainly supported by Faith. See on Judgement Day, the fact that I used to be genetically Irish Celt will be totally irrelevant, for Eternity, and since Eternity is for a very long time, it makes everything ere sorta irrelevant in the big picture, or so I believe.

As for the rest, I have met Africans who were decidedly smarter than me (many here will believe that not hard, I know grin), and I have met Asians who seemed dumber (so far the Jews are doing pretty good).

Its that whole Bell Curve thing, and overlap, and deciding where one race leaves off and another begins, and the fact that while I have met lots of individuals, I have never yet met a "race".

Pertinent to this thread, the Virginia Planter Thomas Jefferson penned a principle well-worth dying for We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Not surprisingly, he was pressured by his fellow slave-owning Southerners to remove it crazy

Jefferson's phrase to me is America in a nutshell, our founding principle, why you and me were able to come here and enjoy the lives we have had...

..and marry Germans if we want.

Birdwatcher

So, we've added "God told me to", to the "for the children". Yep, we're on a Crusade now.

Which country do we invade next, and drive down those "infidels" all "for the children"?

You can't even follow your own argument any longer; there's no logic, no consistency, and no contemplation of the implications. I'm doing my best to summarize things for you, but be damned if you are perpetually self-blinded.

Page 33 of 35 1 2 31 32 33 34 35

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,802 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,981
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.