Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Earlier I took the action out of the stock to check things out and wipe off the oil. I removed the trigger spring just to see what the pull was like. Definitely lightened it up. I like it. But since I haven't shot the rifle yet for now I put the spring back in and set it at minimum tension.

That's what I did too EZEARL. I really don't mind the trigger. It's actually pretty good for a rimfire. Really no complaints here... Hopefully my meager shooting doesn't give you guys the wrong idea here. I believe the rifle is going to be a real good shooter. The groups shown above in the pictures are not cherry picked. They are exactly what I shot, listed in the order I shot them: Good honest groups from this new rifle. Rifle has a proven scope on it etc. Not going to win any rimfire competitions for sure, but very consistent and I know what ammo it likes. I'm actually glad it looks like it is going to like the 50gr. Federal JHP's and the Hornady 30 gr. V-Max is the only thing available locally, so I'm pretty happy.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like the idea of a golf ball shoot. Ghillie suits on the back 9? Do you knock 'em off the tee or hit 'em in the air?

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
LOL

Reminds me of what the then recently retired Alice Cooper told a reporter at a golf course when asked what he thought of the game of golf. Said he liked it okay but it just wasn't violent enough.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha... That's funny ezearl. Went to the shoot and it went great. My only limitation is my speed. Shot many rounds where it was 1 shot per ball and 5 for 5, just not as fast as some of the boys shooting souped up 10-22's!!!!! Some of these guys were hitting 5 for five in less than 5 seconds.. Like I said earlier, I have no complaints about this RAR 22 mag. I ended up buying 2 extra mags for it and the rifle works flawlessly. I'd say it is extremely smooth (which it is), except it does sound like your rubbing your finger nails across a fat girls corduroy pants... laugh ... Got to admit, this thing is almost as fun as a horny fat girl too... whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shot the humdinger today. Cool little rifle. I haven't shot a bolt action rimfire in ages (10/22's for eons) and the first shot felt like it was an empty chamber. Pretty funny. Stock is pretty gushy and likes to ride near the mag box in the bags. Bipod is out of the question. Might try to lighten the trigger. Didn't do anything except torque the actions screws. Channel is off center, maybe throw a little heat to it. Load work up was easy enough.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice shooting 16Bore. I was taking a look at the wood stocks on the Boyds website and they look pretty good:

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ConfigurePackage?ItemNumber=3ZA714U1A1ZZ

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw those. I like it as it sits, just need to monkey with it a little.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like mine the way it is too. It is very well balanced as is. The wood would probably add a lot of unnecessary weight anyhow... I hear you about monkeying with it. I fondled 3 RAR's at the fun store and picked the one with the barrel that was centered in the stock. IE: Nicely freefloated. The other ones were not. Not a big deal and can be corrected, but I'm getting tired of "monkeying" with stuff anymore laugh . I can't wait to get to the range again and post some new groups. I have a couple hundred rounds downrange with this rifle now and it seems to be shooting damn well. The guys at the range/club were pretty impressed with how it was shooting. I don't expect this one to shoot as good as a 17 HMR, but it's doing well enough to suit my needs..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to mention cashola. I'm becoming a turnkey bitch these days...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 16bore
Not to mention cashola. I'm becoming a turnkey bitch these days...

Ha ha.. makes life so much simpler that way!! laugh

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm starting to miss Cor-Lokts too...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Tinkered up the triggers in my Predators by shimming and deburring the flipper-dipper and putting lighter spring down to 2# pull.
The 17 HMR is shooting sub 1" 10 shot and 5 shot groups hover at 1/2" at 100 yds. Gonna try 200 next.
A lot of bang for the buck, cheaper than 22 lr match ammo.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, and there's been plenty of .17 HMR ammo around lately, some at relatively bargain prices. A couple months ago I bought two bricks of 17-grain Hornady V-Max from an Internet site and even with shipping the price was less than $12 a box.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimone
Tinkered up the triggers in my Predators by shimming and deburring the flipper-dipper and putting lighter spring down to 2# pull.
The 17 HMR is shooting sub 1" 10 shot and 5 shot groups hover at 1/2" at 100 yds. Gonna try 200 next.
A lot of bang for the buck, cheaper than 22 lr match ammo.

Did you do anything to the stock? Thinking about putting a little heat to mine to center up the barrel and maybe fill it with Devcon to stiffen it a tad.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
On my 22 lr I put .032" shims under the bedding blocks to float off forend tip. On the HMR I put a bit of packing tape on one side of front block to take out wobble.
Walnut coming for the 22 lr when Boyds gets around to it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting. I couldn't get the front one out, but didn't try too hard either. I'll pop it apart and see whats what. Trigger definitely needs a little tweak.

My expectations weren't very high for the thing, but damn if it hasn't easily slipped into a front spot of my safe.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mine's been fun as hell. The guys at the golf ball shoot were a little intimidated by the sound of the bolt sliding back and forth.... One said, "I knew I had to shoot fast, because I heard your bolt and I knew you weren't going to miss".... laugh whistle

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you use a pin punch that tapers toward the handle, and drop it into the block from the inside of stock and wiggle it a little it will come loose. My 17 HMR took 200 rds to break in, don't give up too soon on those dang fliers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah, good call. Will give it a whirl....

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,383
Posts18,469,596
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.