Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just bought a 22 magnum with the 22" barrel. I've been eyeballing them on gunbroker for quite some time now and finally got a chance to handle one in person. I thought I'd like the rifle when I saw it, but damn it's nicer in person than I thought it would be. I've heard of good accuracy reports on these so lets see some pictures of your Americans and show me how they shoot. I am thinking about maybe painting the Tupperware stock too, so I'd like to see some color schemes. I ordered some Talley lightweight lows from midway today and have a good scope lined up. Hopefully I'll be shooting groups next weekend. It was damn hard to turn down the $249.00 deal on this new RAR 22 mag, plus they sold me 200 rounds of Hornady 22 mag ammo.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I only have 2. A compact .22 rimfire, and a Predator 6.5 creedmoor...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No pics, but my 22mag shoots nickel sized groups at 50 yards on a less than steady rest. I am anxious to see what it can really do with a good rest.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I really like those paint jobs!!! How did you do it and with what?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Huntsman, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Those look cool. Thanks for posting..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Krylon Fusion (khaki), and black web. The centerfire , I masked the little notchy-thingies off and shot it. Left the factory green show on the notches.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Of course the best place to store a Ruger American...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice! What scope rings are those?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Weavers and EGW split's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

Why would you say that?!?!?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Weavers and EGW split's.

What base on the 22. I cant find #12 bases.

Last edited by EZEARL; 07/03/15.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
EGW 20 moa

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Weavers and EGW split's.

What base on the 22. I cant find #12 bases.

I'm not huntsman, but I just bought talley lightweights for my new Ruger American 22 magnum. They look like they will work well:

Ruger American rimfire talley lightweights..

I found 1 #12 locally and gave up the search and figured since I had to order on line, I'd get something a little better than the weavers. This might also help someone else out here. I see that I bought the last low set, but I think they still have some mediums in stock..

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Thank you,huntsman. Just checked and found it's offered in 0 moa.

BSA,I just ordered a RAR Compact 22lr today. I haven't checked locally for #12's and honestly didn't know anything else was offered. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by EZEARL; 07/03/15.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Get the 20 moa. You may want to go long, later.......hint

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As soon as Ruger sees fit to make them in left hand, I'll post a picture of mine.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not a great pic but .22 and .22mag predators.. 17 HMR predator is en route to complete the trifecta [Linked Image]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice. I like the green and black color scheme. Thanks for posting.. I also have to add, the bluing on your rifles look excellent. I've always been a big fan of the older MKII bluing as it was perfectly executed for a factory rifle. I was looking at my RAR yesterday and it seems to be very well done, like the older MKII's (not hawkeye rifles)..

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Wonder what shrapnel has against the R/A's and or RAR's?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
He's a high class shooter who prefers Swaro's, Zeiss, Sako's and fancy cars... To each their own..

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Not a great pic but .22 and .22mag predators.. 17 HMR predator is en route to complete the trifecta [Linked Image]

For those who dont know, these are a distributor special. It sold out fast and more have been built and they are back out there now. That green stock is how they come. I can take it or leave it. The key points are medium weight 18" barrel as opposed to a light barrel in the standard model. Not a heavy barrel a medium. Also a big bolt handle, nice one piece scope base and threaded bbl. If I did not have a std model already, I would think about one of these while they were available. Next year probably be something else. I like the idea of a little shorter stiffer barrel. I dont know that is translates into shooting better (on average) or just adds a few ounces for nothing. I suspect it should shoot a bit better and still carry ok at 18".

The .17 predator is a brand new option, not yet on the website. Ruger catalog 8336. Here is a link to Ruger 8334 & 8335. I think this is going the way of 10/22 with variations every year.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireDE/models.html

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The shorter stiffer barrel probably has a tendency to shoot better. Especially if shooting more than 10 shots per string, like when varmint hunting..

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The shorter stiffer barrel probably has a tendency to shoot better. Especially if shooting more than 10 shots per string, like when varmint hunting..

That makes a lot of sense. Also consider these barrel all free float and tinkering with bedding or pressure points is not an option. My gut feeling is same as yours. I really like that it is not a full blown gut busting 'varmint' barrel.

This seems like somebody gave the Predator a lot of thought. I feel the same way about the two standard offerings with lighter 18" or 22". Somebody or bodies got it right with the American.

There is a lot of years ahead for this. Maybe a nice wood stock. Or a 17 WSM. I never had a 17 anything. For 3000 fps, I might take the plunge. Not interested in a 77/17. I could almost splurge on a 77/22 if that gun got the American type trigger. As it is, not interested.

They still need to do a lefty for that neglected 5%.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is my 22 Mag Predator in a Boyds stock. I too have a 17 HMR on the way that will probly get the same handle.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

I'm enjoying mine so far. For now it wears a Nikon Prostaff3-9x40 in quick release UTG rings. Certain loads have shown to be well under an inch at 50 yards with some approaching 1/2". I think it would do even better with a scope with a 50 yd parallax setting.

Last edited by bruinruin; 07/05/15.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What ya got on there for glass?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by fourbore
They still need to do a lefty for that neglected 5%.

It sure seems like they would. They came out with the centerfire Americans in left hand pretty quick and they'd sell a crapload more of the rimfires. C'mon Ruger, throw us a bone!!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

For those who dont know, these are a distributor special. It sold out fast and more have been built and they are back out there now. That green stock is how they come. I can take it or leave it. The key points are medium weight 18" barrel as opposed to a light barrel in the standard model. Not a heavy barrel a medium. Also a big bolt handle, nice one piece scope base and threaded bbl. If I did not have a std model already, I would think about one of these while they were available. Next year probably be something else. I like the idea of a little shorter stiffer barrel. I dont know that is translates into shooting better (on average) or just adds a few ounces for nothing. I suspect it should shoot a bit better and still carry ok at 18".

The .17 predator is a brand new option, not yet on the website. Ruger catalog 8336. Here is a link to Ruger 8334 & 8335. I think this is going the way of 10/22 with variations every year.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireDE/models.html

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know they were making this model again. I found one on GB for a fair Buy Now and hit the button.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by passport

What ya got on there for glass?

Passport those are both 16X Swfa's in leupold PRW's

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Looks like mine, only I put a Mueller on the .22 WMR and a Bushnell on the .22LR. Both scopes serve the purpose, but both rifles are getting 6X Mil-Quads very soon...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Tide, the swfa 16 is staying on the .22LR but I have two Nikon 3x9's that will go on the Mag ad the HMR..

She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tide, the swfa 16 is staying on the .22LR but I have two Nikon 3x9's that will go on the Mag ad the HMR..

I'll be running a gloss Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle in talley lightweights on my 22 mag. I'm hoping everything fits like it was made for it.. We'll see tomorrow..

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I'll be running a gloss Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle in talley lightweights on my 22 mag. I'm hoping everything fits like it was made for it.. We'll see tomorrow..
Sounds like that will work just fine...Post it up when you get it all slapped together!

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
How many round do you guys fire before you throw these things in the trash?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

I pulled mine out of one...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Dave,

I've only fiddled with one rimfire RAR (buddy has a 22lr), but it shoots really well even though its ugly and feels cheap. We pitched the trigger spring and the pull is really, really good w/o creep. I offered to remove the blade but he wanted to keep it. With Mini-mags he holds his own out to 100+ yards with a Simmons 3-9x scope of all things. I'm impressed for the cost and amazed by how well it shoots given its light weight compared to my 54.

Also, my 223 RAR is freaking lights out with the 75gr AMAX. Its scary accurate, especially for its light weight, so the only problem is when the shooter misses. Ain't the rifle, ammo, or scope grin

Pic below from the 22lr with Wolf. Bud's target on the left, mine on the right. I'm going to blame the Simmons for my crappy group as I'm not accustomed to such poor optics grin For reference, my 54 shoots the same ammo 0.2". Only a couple of targets, but I've seen enough ammo shot to know its not a fluke. That rifle flat out rocks. He just needs a rail and Super Bird on it. I'm hoping he doesn't put a Timney in that dang RAR or else he'll give me a run for my money...

Jason

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 4th_point; 07/06/15.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave
Disney has turned you to the dark side and filled you with hatred!

She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Dave,

I've only fiddled with one rimfire RAR (buddy has a 22lr), but it shoots really well even though its ugly and feels cheap. We pitched the trigger spring and the pull is really, really good w/o creep. I offered to remove the blade but he wanted to keep it. With Mini-mags he holds his own out to 100+ yards with a Simmons 3-9x scope of all things. I'm impressed for the cost and amazed by how well it shoots given its light weight compared to my 54.

Also, my 223 RAR is freaking lights out with the 75gr AMAX. Its scary accurate, especially for its light weight, so the only problem is when the shooter misses. Ain't the rifle, ammo, or scope grin

Pic below from the 22lr with Wolf. Bud's target on the left, mine on the right. I'm going to blame the Simmons for my crappy group as I'm not accustomed to such poor optics grin For reference, my 54 shoots the same ammo 0.2". Only a couple of targets, but I've seen enough ammo shot to know its not a fluke. That rifle flat out rocks. He just needs a rail and Super Bird on it. I'm hoping he doesn't put a Timney in that dang RAR or else he'll give me a run for my money...

Jason

[Linked Image]

Looks like a damn nice shooting rifle.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
non-traditional paint job....neon green
[Linked Image]

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mitch, those do stand out in a crowd I bet... laugh The rifle looks like the magnum. How does she shoot??

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

[Linked Image]

I like your budget gun safe. I guess a burglar wouldn't look in there, unless it's a homeless burglar.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
My RAR Compact 22lr is due in today.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
22lr compact threaded.. Added a Ruger pad due to the slick plastic butt. Shoots CCI standard velocity .3" at 50 yards ..... One of my favorite 22lr grin

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

[Linked Image]

Sage advice! That is where junk belongs.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Sounds like that will work just fine...Post it up when you get it all slapped together!

Alright, you asked for it. I'll post at different angles to see what you guys think of the talley lightweights on this little guy. I really like how well the rifle is balanced with the 3-9x40. I'll be testing out some ammo this weekend!!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I don't really like how close the front ring is to the turrets, probably where the EGW 1 piece shines. I think it's huntable though... We'll se how she does this weekend. Thanks for posting your pictures guys...

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just got in 100 of the 8336. This is our second batch. They move out the door pretty fast.

FYI -- Ruger Day's starts here tomorrow. $25 off every new Ruger firearm in the store.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Seems they've changed the stocks from grey to black. At least my 8303 is black. No big deal at all of course.

That's looks good. I do like those Talley lightweights.

Alright, you asked for it. I'll post at different angles to see what you guys think of the talley lightweights on this little guy. I really like how well the rifle is balanced with the 3-9x40. I'll be testing out some ammo this weekend!!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I don't really like how close the front ring is to the turrets, probably where the EGW 1 piece shines. I think it's huntable though... We'll se how she does this weekend. Thanks for posting your pictures guys...[/quote]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks EZEARL. I'm very happy with the rifle. Now I have my fingers crossed for a good shooter. I have 5 different types of ammo to try out in this one, so we'll see how it does. I'm really hoping it likes the 50gr. Federal JHP's, as that's what we use on yotes around here. However, it seems like the Hornady 30gr. poly tips are the only thing we can find lately...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have one of the first ones here. It was black. And still hasn't turned gray.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What Talley's did you get....lows or mediums?
Looks great.....just like my scope welded to the barrel if possible grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Mitch. I like my scopes welded to the barrel as well. I don't think I could have gone too much closer with this 3-9x40. They are lows...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
17HMR....

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
16 bore, I really like the way that looks. I don't care what Shrapnel says... laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never swear you won't buy one. Bolt sounds like a fat girl in corduroy pants, but should be just as fun....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
laugh

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I haven't looked yet but I doubt Talley offers extra lows since they may only be for a limited number of rifle offerings. I like mine within a sheet of copy paper above the barrel myself.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's what I ordered:

RAR Talley lightweights

I believe, they only make the lows, mediums, and highs.. If they made an extended front, I'd probably be looking at those too..

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I bought an American .22 Magnum a week or so ago, and over the next few days put 10 different kinds of ammo through it. The BIGGEST 5-shot group at 50 yards was around an inch, in less than ideal conditions, and the rest averaged around .6 to .7 inch. And like many rimfire rifles after 100 rounds to so it started shooting even better.

I've owned a bunch of .22 Magnums before this "cheap" rifle but never one that shot as many loads so well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I bought an American .22 Magnum a week or so ago, and over the next few days put 10 different kinds of ammo through it. The BIGGEST 5-shot group at 50 yards was around an inch, in less than ideal conditions, and the rest averaged around .6 to .7 inch. And like many rimfire rifles after 100 rounds to so it started shooting even better.

I've owned a bunch of .22 Magnums before this "cheap" rifle but never one that shot as many loads so well.

I'm glad you finally commented on how your rifle shoots. I think you bought your rifle the same day I bought mine. I have high hopes for mine, but still have fingers crossed...

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I commented briefly after the first range session in another thread, but the second range session made me a real believer. Hope your rifle shoots as well, and am looking forward to hearing your results.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 16bore
17HMR....

[Linked Image]

Where did you find that rifle in 17hmr? I have the same rifle in 22mag and looked all over for a 17hmr but was told it wasn't made, so I ended up buying the standard with threaded barrel.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
jhopkins, SAS (shortactionsmoker) posted earlier and said they just got 100 in. If you want a 17, you may want to PM him..

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I have one of the first ones here. It was black. And still hasn't turned gray.

So pics turn them gray. Never seen an RAR up close and personal.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
jhopkins, SAS (shortactionsmoker) posted earlier and said they just got 100 in. If you want a 17, you may want to PM him..

Thanks for the info. I even called Ruger to find out if they made the Predator in 17HMR and they told me it was only made in 22LR & 22WMR.

2 1/2 weeks ago I ordered the 8312 so I will probably just keep it. It took me over a week to find the 8312 in stock. I haven't even had a chance to shoot it yet, but if I could get my money back I would probably sell it and even throw in the DIP base and pick up the 8336.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The 17 predator is a brand new item. Was not even on the website when I looked. At least 3 of the major online vendors have the Predator 17 available right now and will ship to your FFL.

The predator is still considered a distributor special. If you want one, maybe try and get one asap. Unless something unusual happens, once the 2nd batch is sold out or next year, probably not going to be available. Then again, next year maybe something even better smile you never know.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 17 predator is a brand new item. Was not even on the website when I looked. At least 3 of the major online vendors have the Predator 17 available right now and will ship to your FFL.

The predator is still considered a distributor special. If you want one, maybe try and get one asap. Unless something unusual happens, once the 2nd batch is sold out or next year, probably not going to be available. Then again, next year maybe something even better smile you never know.

I got it ordered today and should have it mid week thanks to the help of you guys. Thanks to those involved.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ordered my 17 HMR Predator today.
The 22 LR shoots 10 shot 50yd groups you can cover with a dime. I ordered a Boyds walnut stock for it so all the foreign rifle guys wouldn't have such bad buyers remorse.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ordered my 17 HMR Predator today.
The 22 LR shoots 10 shot 50yd groups you can cover with a dime. I ordered a Boyds walnut stock for it so all the foreign rifle guys wouldn't have such bad buyers remorse.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Please post a pic of the rifle with the boyds walnut stock. I may just have to do that with my new rifle too...Even though the synthetic stock is kind of growing on me... laugh

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wish they would make a predator in the 17wsm

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
wish in one hand, and schit in the other.... see which one fills up first.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by msuhunter
I wish they would make a predator in the 17wsm

I had the same thought. The 17 HMR does not turn me on. Then another internet guru pointed out the WSM was too long. So; I dont know. It would be nice, if it could get fit in somehow.

The flip side would be if Ruger would at least put the American trigger in the M77/17. That seems a no brain er to me. Who wants a gun costing 3x with a poor trigger? I dont know if that would be enough to sell me on any M77, but it would be one less excuse.

Another nice thing to fill one hand while the other, ... you know... would be a 22 WSM!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
WSM anything is overrated... Hint.. wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The flip side would be if Ruger would at least put the American trigger in the M77/17. That seems a no brain er to me. Who wants a gun costing 3x with a poor trigger? I dont know if that would be enough to sell me on any M77, but it would be one less excuse.

The real excuse, for not getting a 77/17, is being totally unable to 'work over' one of the easiest triggers to 'work over'...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I'm glad everyone's happy minus Deflave and Shrapnel...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I commented briefly after the first range session in another thread, but the second range session made me a real believer. Hope your rifle shoots as well, and am looking forward to hearing your results.

Thanks John. I went shooting the RAR today. Not a bad day as far as weather and wind and I loved the RAR. Not the most accurate 22 mag in the stable, but it is very consistent shooting. I can see it shooting better on a better day, but these are the results for the day:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]

I had golf ball shoot (next Saturday) in my head today grin. This American seems like it wants to be fired quckly, the trigger is superb, and it feels real good in the bags. It cycles excellent, even though someone said it was like running your fingernails over a fat girls corduroy pants... I like it grin. Here is a 15 shot group (right hand side). I kept track of where the first 10 went and they were pretty good for a quick cycle and shoot session:
[Linked Image]

I might just buy another one of these rifles.... laugh cool

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are those 100 yard groups?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
BSA,

The 10-shot and rapid 15-shot groups look great.

Did you try pulling the trigger spring? If you pull the trigger spring, the blade spring should be enough to reset the trigger. If you pull the blade in addition to the trigger spring, then you may need a really wimpy trigger spring for reset (just enough to push the trigger forward).

I pulled the trigger spring on a 22lr RAR and its really, really nice even with the blade. This was my bud's rifle and he wanted to keep the blade.

I can send you some of that weak spring if you need it. Or you might find a spring in a ballpoint pen that would work. ACE Hardware should have some as well.

Jason

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Earlier I took the action out of the stock to check things out and wipe off the oil. I removed the trigger spring just to see what the pull was like. Definitely lightened it up. I like it. But since I haven't shot the rifle yet for now I put the spring back in and set it at minimum tension.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Earlier I took the action out of the stock to check things out and wipe off the oil. I removed the trigger spring just to see what the pull was like. Definitely lightened it up. I like it. But since I haven't shot the rifle yet for now I put the spring back in and set it at minimum tension.

That's what I did too EZEARL. I really don't mind the trigger. It's actually pretty good for a rimfire. Really no complaints here... Hopefully my meager shooting doesn't give you guys the wrong idea here. I believe the rifle is going to be a real good shooter. The groups shown above in the pictures are not cherry picked. They are exactly what I shot, listed in the order I shot them: Good honest groups from this new rifle. Rifle has a proven scope on it etc. Not going to win any rimfire competitions for sure, but very consistent and I know what ammo it likes. I'm actually glad it looks like it is going to like the 50gr. Federal JHP's and the Hornady 30 gr. V-Max is the only thing available locally, so I'm pretty happy.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like the idea of a golf ball shoot. Ghillie suits on the back 9? Do you knock 'em off the tee or hit 'em in the air?

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
LOL

Reminds me of what the then recently retired Alice Cooper told a reporter at a golf course when asked what he thought of the game of golf. Said he liked it okay but it just wasn't violent enough.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha... That's funny ezearl. Went to the shoot and it went great. My only limitation is my speed. Shot many rounds where it was 1 shot per ball and 5 for 5, just not as fast as some of the boys shooting souped up 10-22's!!!!! Some of these guys were hitting 5 for five in less than 5 seconds.. Like I said earlier, I have no complaints about this RAR 22 mag. I ended up buying 2 extra mags for it and the rifle works flawlessly. I'd say it is extremely smooth (which it is), except it does sound like your rubbing your finger nails across a fat girls corduroy pants... laugh ... Got to admit, this thing is almost as fun as a horny fat girl too... whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shot the humdinger today. Cool little rifle. I haven't shot a bolt action rimfire in ages (10/22's for eons) and the first shot felt like it was an empty chamber. Pretty funny. Stock is pretty gushy and likes to ride near the mag box in the bags. Bipod is out of the question. Might try to lighten the trigger. Didn't do anything except torque the actions screws. Channel is off center, maybe throw a little heat to it. Load work up was easy enough.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice shooting 16Bore. I was taking a look at the wood stocks on the Boyds website and they look pretty good:

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ConfigurePackage?ItemNumber=3ZA714U1A1ZZ

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw those. I like it as it sits, just need to monkey with it a little.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like mine the way it is too. It is very well balanced as is. The wood would probably add a lot of unnecessary weight anyhow... I hear you about monkeying with it. I fondled 3 RAR's at the fun store and picked the one with the barrel that was centered in the stock. IE: Nicely freefloated. The other ones were not. Not a big deal and can be corrected, but I'm getting tired of "monkeying" with stuff anymore laugh . I can't wait to get to the range again and post some new groups. I have a couple hundred rounds downrange with this rifle now and it seems to be shooting damn well. The guys at the range/club were pretty impressed with how it was shooting. I don't expect this one to shoot as good as a 17 HMR, but it's doing well enough to suit my needs..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to mention cashola. I'm becoming a turnkey bitch these days...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 16bore
Not to mention cashola. I'm becoming a turnkey bitch these days...

Ha ha.. makes life so much simpler that way!! laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm starting to miss Cor-Lokts too...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Tinkered up the triggers in my Predators by shimming and deburring the flipper-dipper and putting lighter spring down to 2# pull.
The 17 HMR is shooting sub 1" 10 shot and 5 shot groups hover at 1/2" at 100 yds. Gonna try 200 next.
A lot of bang for the buck, cheaper than 22 lr match ammo.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, and there's been plenty of .17 HMR ammo around lately, some at relatively bargain prices. A couple months ago I bought two bricks of 17-grain Hornady V-Max from an Internet site and even with shipping the price was less than $12 a box.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimone
Tinkered up the triggers in my Predators by shimming and deburring the flipper-dipper and putting lighter spring down to 2# pull.
The 17 HMR is shooting sub 1" 10 shot and 5 shot groups hover at 1/2" at 100 yds. Gonna try 200 next.
A lot of bang for the buck, cheaper than 22 lr match ammo.

Did you do anything to the stock? Thinking about putting a little heat to mine to center up the barrel and maybe fill it with Devcon to stiffen it a tad.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
On my 22 lr I put .032" shims under the bedding blocks to float off forend tip. On the HMR I put a bit of packing tape on one side of front block to take out wobble.
Walnut coming for the 22 lr when Boyds gets around to it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting. I couldn't get the front one out, but didn't try too hard either. I'll pop it apart and see whats what. Trigger definitely needs a little tweak.

My expectations weren't very high for the thing, but damn if it hasn't easily slipped into a front spot of my safe.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mine's been fun as hell. The guys at the golf ball shoot were a little intimidated by the sound of the bolt sliding back and forth.... One said, "I knew I had to shoot fast, because I heard your bolt and I knew you weren't going to miss".... laugh whistle

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you use a pin punch that tapers toward the handle, and drop it into the block from the inside of stock and wiggle it a little it will come loose. My 17 HMR took 200 rds to break in, don't give up too soon on those dang fliers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah, good call. Will give it a whirl....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,335 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.