Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Campfire Regular

Loc: Zavalla,Tx
Any one you trust close to Zavalla Tx? I would prefer to take rifles to them personally. Would like to leave scopes mounted. If you know them, maybe they could drop me a post. From what the guys here say the M 70S can be adjusted for much less than a new Timney. I would like them to be about 2 3/4-3 lbs with no creep or slack.2 WIN and one Sako. Prefer one smith to do all 3 on one trip. The one central Louisiana probably would not be too far to drive.Thanks!

Jimbob
GB1

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
If the Wins are New Haven rifles they are, as trigger tuning goes, easy to do:

http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/adjustingwintrigger.asp

I know nothing about the Sako.

Ned

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That link is horrible and definitely NOT the way to adjust a pre 2000ish (before FN MOA) Win 70 Trigger.

Take the barreled action out.

Loosen all three 1/4" nuts

Make sure there is space between the top double nut and the trigger body

Turn the screw "IN" (righty tighty) about a turn

Cock the empty gun and attempt to fire. It should not fire.

If it fired turn the screw in about a half turn more

Again attempt to fire, hopefully it won't fire, or repeat above until it fails to fire.

Now with the gun cocked and unable to fire: Pull and hold the trigger back and slowly turn the screw out until it fires.

Turn the screw out (lefty loosey) 1/4 turn more. This is the minimum safe adjustment for zero overtravel. Do not go less than 1/4 turn. Don't turn it out more to make it safer until you try it. You wanted a good adjustment afterall.

Lock the nut down on the screw while carefully holding the screw from changing your precise adjustment.

Loosen the the top nut of the doublenuts all the way up until it touches the trigger. Adjust the other nut to nearly touch the first nut.

Cock and fire the gun. Try the Safety. Pull the Trigger while on Safe. Set the gun to Fire. Cock the gun slamming the bolt hard. Hit the butt on the floor, beat on the side of the gun with your hand, do these a couple of times each. You want to make sure the gun will not discharge except with a deliberate trigger pull.

If satisfied, lock the top nut down to the bottom nut, being careful to observe that the screw itself does nut turn, goofing up your adjustment.

Never clip the coils. If the gun slam fires doing the above, turn the bottom nut down until it quits. Then lock the top one down to it.

NOTE: If the gun slam fires after the initial adjustment above, most likely someone cut a coil or stoned on the trigger. If you get it adjusted by increasing spring tension, I would recommend buying a new trigger spring. Any other issues find a good M70 trigger man, Not just any gunsmith.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I did not want to cloud the above adjustment procedure with off topic info.

The above will most likely be a 4 pound trigger. You will think it is two pounds. A good trigger is a good trigger.

Anyone who shoots my 70's always say, wow is that a pound and a half trigger or what. I put the gauge on and they are amazed.

I would much rater have a crisp 4 pound precision pull than a mushy 2 pound pull.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by sbrmike
That link is horrible and definitely NOT the way to adjust a pre 2000ish (before FN MOA) Win 70 Trigger.

Take the barreled action out.

Loosen all three 1/4" nuts

Make sure there is space between the top double nut and the trigger body

Turn the screw "IN" (righty tighty) about a turn

Cock the empty gun and attempt to fire. It should not fire.

If it fired turn the screw in about a half turn more

Again attempt to fire, hopefully it won't fire, or repeat above until it fails to fire.

Now with the gun cocked and unable to fire: Pull and hold the trigger back and slowly turn the screw out until it fires.

Turn the screw out (lefty loosey) 1/4 turn more. This is the minimum safe adjustment for zero overtravel. Do not go less than 1/4 turn. Don't turn it out more to make it safer until you try it. You wanted a good adjustment afterall.

Lock the nut down on the screw while carefully holding the screw from changing your precise adjustment.

Loosen the the top nut of the doublenuts all the way up until it touches the trigger. Adjust the other nut to nearly touch the first nut.

Cock and fire the gun. Try the Safety. Pull the Trigger while on Safe. Set the gun to Fire. Cock the gun slamming the bolt hard. Hit the butt on the floor, beat on the side of the gun with your hand, do these a couple of times each. You want to make sure the gun will not discharge except with a deliberate trigger pull.

If satisfied, lock the top nut down to the bottom nut, being careful to observe that the screw itself does nut turn, goofing up your adjustment.

Never clip the coils. If the gun slam fires doing the above, turn the bottom nut down until it quits. Then lock the top one down to it.

NOTE: If the gun slam fires after the initial adjustment above, most likely someone cut a coil or stoned on the trigger. If you get it adjusted by increasing spring tension, I would recommend buying a new trigger spring. Any other issues find a good M70 trigger man, Not just any gunsmith.
"Adjustment" is one thing.. A really good job on a NH M70 trigger takes a bit more work - since doing the above can do nothing about creep..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Redneck, read my last sentence in quote.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks to y'all for the good info. Iam going to try to do it myself. Again thank you

Jimbob
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Redneck, read my last sentence in quote.

Not Redneck, but the last sentence in your quote does not address creep. The trigger has to be stoned to remove creep, and that is not a job that just anybody should be attempting, no offense to anyone here.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (6MMWASP, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 375sunrise, 11 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,654
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.