Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
.gov is anti-business. Banks,teachers, etc 10 x paperwork.
X coal and timber businesses. Attack businesses with labor relations requirements, Hippo regs, epa, osha regs, local, state, federal taxes. Osha regs whack ing construction, epa regs set to cripple oil drilling, etc.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The math that pisses me off is that 1 group which represents 13 % of the population and another that represents 2.84 % of the population are dictating what we can say, what we can think, what is being taught in our schools, and what flags we can fly. mad

Last edited by 308ragincajun; 07/03/15.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Could we make things somewhat more 'balanced' if we boil it down to 52% are being supported by the working stiff??

Even birds know not to land downwind!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Okay, next question. Economist agree 4-6.4% unemployment is considered "full employment" in the U.S., and that it can't get any better than that.

Why is the economy so depressed?

LT, that's a good question. If I was to answer in one word, it would be "regulation".

Ultimately, employee's are paid according to their productivity, and regulation affects this equation. A while back I did some calculations regarding Obama care and it's effects on low wage industrial workers, such as you would find in a factory. As I calculated, the additional employer costs were around 3 dollars an hour, with no off setting increase in employee productivity. This would turn many potentially profitable American manufacturing projects unprofitable. All total it's estimated Zero Care reduces our growth in GDP by a full percentage point each year.

Other kinds of regulation reduce productivity. When I contracted the construction of my house, it took longer to get the permits and all the various inspection then it actually took to build the house. If Fracking regulation (and I'm just making number up) cost $5 per barrel, that's just more well that will not be drilled, less oil produced in this country, and fewer american workers employed.

Another current problem rests with our financial over regulation.

I've showed this chart before:

https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/M2V

As you can see, the velocity of money continues to fall off a cliff. The current problem isn't the volume of money, it's the ability of financial institutions to loan money. This is the result of Dodd/Frank and other post 2008 regulations in action.

These are just some of the bad regulations killing our economy.

If you just want to stick with the math, change in GDP if effectively a function in the change in employment, and the change in productivity. Although we may be seeing an increase in the rate of employment, if increase regulation reduces productivity the net change in GDP can still be negative. As an example Obama care encourage the use of more part time workers. Part time workers are less productive on a per hour basis (think of set up and tear down times etc.) so when a company turn one full time position into two part time positions, this has the effect of decreasing unemployment, AND at the same time decreasing productivity. This is the true incidious nature of government regulation, and Zero care in particular.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/03/15.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The total population of the United States is 318,857,056.
209,128,094 are older than 18 and 76,247,782 of those are older than 65. 93,626,000 of that number is not in the "labor force".
5.3% of those still in the labor force are unemployed.

I have communists constantly telling me how great the economy is based on the stock market . So we have roughly 1 person working for each retired person when it should be 3 per retired person. That is not counting the number of "welfarites" they are supporting. Nice

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
209,128,094 are older than 18 and 76,247,782 of those are older than 65. 93,626,000 of that number is not in the "labor force".

I have communists constantly telling me how great the economy is based on the stock market . So we have roughly 1 person working for each retired person when it should be 3 per retired person. That is not counting the number of "welfarites" they are supporting. Nice

Yep. If all those old folks would take up smoking again, all our problems would be solved.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Yep. If all those old folks would take up smoking again, all our problems would be solved.

Think ahead AS, when they are gone, if you are a conservative, will really be on the "little side" let's call it.

Of course you could be on old fart too.

Last edited by Wtxj; 07/04/15.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Okay, next question. Economist agree 4-6.4% unemployment is considered "full employment" in the U.S., and that it can't get any better than that.

Others have already documented the U3/U6 discrepancy quite well. Next we must realize that federal government agencies constantly lie or massage the numbers. They are constantly revised previous numbers.

The economy is still depressed because of the ever present uncertainty by business/industry as to the vitality of the future. They still see considerable headwinds due to the Feds quantitative easing, looming inflation, energy costs, healthcare costs, general government meddling plus an unstable world geo-political condition.

Also, the business expansion is being suppressed as fewer workers deliver what needs to come to the market. Believe it or not, business is already looking at the 2016 election cycle and holding back until that unfolds.

In short, POTUS is doing nothing to convey confidence to entrepreneurs. He would rather bash many aspects of capitalism and engage in trivial political correctness.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 07/04/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Off topic, but health care cost: todays news article says next years rise in cost could be in the 40% range in certain states.
Too many claims, not what they predicted, so they want to raise prices so insurance people can stay in business. Surprise.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The new jobs are mostly under 30hr/week low paying service sector jobs.

Only to the Government do Walmart jobs really count.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Off topic, but health care cost: todays news article says next years rise in cost could be in the 40% range in certain states.
Too many claims, not what they predicted, so they want to raise prices so insurance people can stay in business. Surprise.

not off topic imo

32% increase last year for me, so I opted for a chittier policy another 40% increase (realistic here in AK ) and I may have to opt to pay the fine.

I know they say "they're here to help" but I can't take too much more of this gov't help!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Think ahead AS, when they are gone, if you are a conservative, will really be on the "little side" let's call it.

Of course you could be on old fart too.

That's a tongue in cheek economic joke. But the truth of the matter is, that one of the thinks blowing up Social Security is longer life expediencies, largely due to a drop off in smoking.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

not off topic imo

32% increase last year for me, so I opted for a chittier policy another 40% increase (realistic here in AK ) and I may have to opt to pay the fine.

I know they say "they're here to help" but I can't take too much more of this gov't help!

80% of all health care consumed by the average person is during their last 2 years of life. I might also add, that often those a 2 miserable years. The real key to deciding how we are going to manage our health care cost is deciding how we will manage end of life care.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

not off topic imo

For some white males, the increase will be as high as 78%.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
antelope sniper, thank you for your insight. I would like to apologize to you if I sounded angry on Friday. It's not aimed at you, I'm just another pissed off business man that's trying to make ends meet.

My brother and I own a small company and employ 28 people. My guys bust their asses and have only seen 1 raise in 7 years. One of the reasons for this is the health insurance. Our rates have gone up somewhere in the neighborhood of 150% in the past 5 years. Even though we have higher deductibles and the guys contribute, the service and level of care has gone down.

I believe that the economy is ripe to take off and has been for quite some time, but this administration has done everything in their power to suppress it and turn this country into a welfare state. It's frustrating.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Stone Cutter,

Apology accepted.

I agree with you that if we were able to remove the jackboot of regulation from the throat of the small business man, such as yourself, this economy would take off.

As for being upset, well, yea, there is plenty this present and the other Marxist politician have done to make a authentic jobs creator unhappy.

As for the manipulation, much of it's done under the guise of the "seasonal adjustment". It used to be the seasonal adjustment was an agreed upon value, now it changes EVERY MONTH, with makes it virtually impossible to check their math, and dilutes the comparison value of the data. Yes, it is a real problem.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.