Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Looking at a high end unit kinda leaning to the ATS/STS HD or ATX/STX Swaro. What's the pros and cons of each. Would consider a Leica or Zeiss as well.

What's the big difference between angled and straight what do you prefer and why?

Tripods everyone rants and raves about Manfrottos are they really better and why?

Thanks

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Meopta's S2 is one of, if not THE finest spotter on the planet at any price. I'd check that one out too. Angled vx straight is purely subjective, and I personally use a straight version. Look no further than Manfrotto IMO.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I 100% agree with JGRaider the Meopta S2 is outstanding for the money. Best thing to do is go to cabelas and take them outside and make a decision based on what your eye likes. I currently run a Swarovski ATX65 and it is outstanding. You honestly cant go wrong with any of the big 3 or the Meopta.

I actually prefer a angled but that is totally personal preference.

I have to say I love my Outdoorsmans tripod and heads. I also use there Bino stud and adapter and will never change.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My wife and I use a couple of spotters. Both are Vixen Geoma II which were highly reviewed in Living Bird magazine as being a good performer and top value for a mid-priced spotter. We use our spotters for different purposes and so they are very different in their configuration. I use mine almost exclusively to see bullet holes for rimfire benchrest when using my sporter rifle which is restricted to a 6.5X (or less) scope. For viewing from a bench while seated, I chose the straight version and it is very comfortable to use and IMO is the better config for this use as I don't have to mount it off the bench, lower than eye level and move over and bend down to use it. I can place it on the bench at eye-level. Also, I use the 67mm obj lens model because I don't need to use it in low light conditions. For this purpose, it performs very well and is clearer than many pricer models that I have seen other competitors use. (Most of us don't choose the Swaros, Zeiss or Leica spotters cause we would rather put our money into the rifle and ammo. Most use some mid-priced spotter.)

My wife uses her's for birding where low light situations are often encountered so we got her the 82mm obj lens angled eyepiece model. Her spotter is primarily used from the standing position and she will often share her spotter with other birders once she has it fixed on the target bird. For this, the angled eyepiece is the way to go. It doesn't have to be constantly re-adjusted for taller birders as they can easily just bend over to the angled eyepiece and all can comfortably view the bird. It's really just a matter of ergonomics and what you'll primarily be using it for. If you don't expect to share it's use with multiple users and prefer to keep your head erect rather than bent down, a straight eyepiece is fine. From what I see, most birders choose the angled and most of the bench shooters use the straight.

If you are prepared to relieve yourself of lots of cash and want a top performing spotter, you can't go wrong with either the Swaro, Leica or the Zeiss. These are the brands my wife's well-heeled birder friends use and from what I can see they are are all excellent. I think the Swaros are the most popular though. My wife's Vixen does not perform to their level but they resolve enough to allow for positive ID.

Oh, her tripod is a Slik Pro 700DX and that works well but I really haven't compared it to others.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Last edited by cooper57m; 07/02/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the Meopta S82 and I love it. My only complaint out that the eyepiece is a little small. I wish there were more eye relief there but overall its a fantastic spotter.

My honest opinion is that if money is no object, get the Swarovski, if you want excellent performance at a reasonable price, go Meopta S2.

I am having a digiscope adaptor custom built for my Meopta that had so much potential it's not even funny. Hopefully I will have it soon and well write a review. The camera I'll use is the Olympus TG-4 that's waterproof, shock proof, dust proof and hopefully Drummond proof and the adaptor will mount directly to the camera and fit any size spotting scope eyepiece. It'll run close to $500 all said and done but should be sweet. I mention this because if you go with the Meopta you can get the divisor stop as well and still be a grand under the cost of the Swaro

Last edited by huntsonora; 07/02/15.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My favorite is the Kowa Prominar 88mm ED. For $2100 it's as good as the $4000 Leica.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the meopta is better than any swaro at any price.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The meopta is that good guys?

Which meopta you guys running?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by nvbroncrider
Looking at a high end unit kinda leaning to the ATS/STS HD or ATX/STX Swaro. What's the pros and cons of each. Would consider a Leica or Zeiss as well.

What's the big difference between angled and straight what do you prefer and why?

Tripods everyone rants and raves about Manfrottos are they really better and why?

Thanks

I bought a Zeiss 65mm with the 15-45X eyepiece. I bought it for two reasons:

1.) Scenarshooter recommended it and that guy has killed more schit than cancer, typhoid and polio combined.

2.) I was able to use a wide variety of top end spotters on the same day in the same conditions and I couldn't tell a GD bit of difference between any of 'em. The Zeiss was a screaming deal so I bought it and have not looked back.

An angled eyepiece can do everything a straight eyepiece can do but the straight cannot do everything an angled eyepiece can do. Some people have a hard time using angled eyepieces but as shrapnel has stated, these are usually the same people that can't use a mirror to drive in reverse.

Manfrotts are the shizz because they do not wear out. Their cost is mostly due to their not wearing out over time and not because they are magically more stable than any other tripod on the planet. Think of how many times you are going to set the spotter up and take it down. And think of how many miles it's going to travel in a pack, or bouncing in the bed of a truck. That's where you'll see the difference in a good tripod versus a schitt tripod. They'll stay tight and not break.

I highly recommend people buy used. I also recommend you plan on selling and swapping after you buy one. It's impossible to know which is best for you until you spend some time with it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've been impressed and happy with the Razor line of spotters from Vortex, though like their scopes, I'd not want to go much lower than that if buying from them again. I've had good experience with their PST line of riflescope (a sample of only a few scopes), but have no personal experience with the Viper line of spotter.

I'd look at the Razor, Meopta, or a used alpha scope in that price range.

I can get by just fine with an angled eye piece, but prefer straight, since I find it more intuitive, and therefore faster, to get on game and acquire a target. Since time can often be of the essence, I lean toward the straight model.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I think the meopta is better than any swaro at any price.

LOL, what old broke down Swarovski were you looking through? whistle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks

If you want to save some big bucks, I have a very lightly used Zeiss Angled Diascope 85 T FL with the 20-60 eyepiece, a Zeiss Tripod and a fitted Pelican 1500 case I'm thinking about selling. The heaviest use it ever got was traveling to and from the rifle range to check group size.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Thanks

I bought a Zeiss 65mm with the 15-45X eyepiece. I bought it for two reasons:

1.) Scenarshooter recommended it and that guy has killed more schit than cancer, typhoid and polio combined.

2.) I was able to use a wide variety of top end spotters on the same day in the same conditions and I couldn't tell a GD bit of difference between any of 'em. The Zeiss was a screaming deal so I bought it and have not looked back.

An angled eyepiece can do everything a straight eyepiece can do but the straight cannot do everything an angled eyepiece can do. Some people have a hard time using angled eyepieces but as shrapnel has stated, these are usually the same people that can't use a mirror to drive in reverse.

Manfrotts are the shizz because they do not wear out. Their cost is mostly due to their not wearing out over time and not because they are magically more stable than any other tripod on the planet. Think of how many times you are going to set the spotter up and take it down. And think of how many miles it's going to travel in a pack, or bouncing in the bed of a truck. That's where you'll see the difference in a good tripod versus a schitt tripod. They'll stay tight and not break.

I highly recommend people buy used. I also recommend you plan on selling and swapping after you buy one. It's impossible to know which is best for you until you spend some time with it

Travis

I have the same angled eye piece Zeiss Spotter with Manfro's tripods. Angled is a little slower to get on target for me but then I have trouble backing up with a trailer too. 😏

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Straight works great too.........

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I prefer a straight as well. I was just pointing out that the angled can do more.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dave,

Way to back track...you're a victim of peer pressure, yet again...

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Well thanks for the input guys I picked up the ATX got a screaming deal on it over $700 off retail and set it up with a 190 Manfrottos and a window mount with the 700 head. Should have it in a day or two.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Dave,

Way to back track...you're a victim of peer pressure, yet again...

Texans and Canadians lead. I just follow.

Clark

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
. . . I picked up the ATX got a screaming deal on it . . .

You won't be sorry. 65mm, 85mm, or 95mm?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.