Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
This why you should change carry ammo every few months. I have been carrying my Sig P239 in 357 Sig for the last week or so and decided it was time to shoot up the carry ammo which as been in the pistol for at least a year. This is the first shot of the one in the chamber and it was a dud primer. So i fired all the others in the mag with no problems. I guess you should change carry ammo more often than every year. Hornady 124 gr XTP Factory.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Every 3 months I fire off the mag.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Great choice in gun and caliber btw

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Do those have sealed primers?

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Not sure if Hornady seals them or not. I try not to over lube my pistols . I have so many carry pistol it hard to keep up with how long they have been loaded with the same ammo. This could have been just a bad primer from the factory and nothing else.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it was good out of the box, it should be good a year from then. Unless you somehow contaminated the primer with lube (which I believe is actually more of a myth than reality) my guess is it was a dud the day you opened the box. The good ones would still fire just fine a couple of decades later.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My thinking also

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very good to find out now, than in a stress situation.
Could be your lucky day!

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
you just never know

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

This is interesting:

The round in question was examined by the manufacturer, who discovered that the primer mix had been knocked out of the primer when the round was cycled through the firearm multiple times. Two cases of the same ammunition (presumably from the same lot) were tested and functioned normally.

Federal, Remington and Winchester all recommend that cartridges should not be chambered more than twice before being discarded. Bullet setback can cause pressure spikes and primers can go dead.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=130

When reloading a magazine with carry ammo and chambering the first round, I always control the slide with my left hand to slow down the return to battery. Not too slow, because I want the rim of the cartridge to interact normally with the extractor.

I've measured my top round after reloading a couple of times (9mm) and found no setbacks. I'm thinking that the reduced acceleration/deceleration is easier on the primer compound, too.

Still, buying a new box of carry ammo once a year is no hardship.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by budman5
Very good to find out now, than in a stress situation.
Could be your lucky day!

No doubt!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
THX for that link to Modernserviceweapons. Lotsa good stuff.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by krupp
THX for that link to Modernserviceweapons. Lotsa good stuff.
Indeed...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tjm10025

This is interesting:

The round in question was examined by the manufacturer, who discovered that the primer mix had been knocked out of the primer when the round was cycled through the firearm multiple times. Two cases of the same ammunition (presumably from the same lot) were tested and functioned normally.

Federal, Remington and Winchester all recommend that cartridges should not be chambered more than twice before being discarded. Bullet setback can cause pressure spikes and primers can go dead.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=130

When reloading a magazine with carry ammo and chambering the first round, I always control the slide with my left hand to slow down the return to battery. Not too slow, because I want the rim of the cartridge to interact normally with the extractor.

I've measured my top round after reloading a couple of times (9mm) and found no setbacks. I'm thinking that the reduced acceleration/deceleration is easier on the primer compound, too.

Still, buying a new box of carry ammo once a year is no hardship.

I purchased a case of this ammo when i acquired it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K1500
If it was good out of the box, it should be good a year from then. Unless you somehow contaminated the primer with lube (which I believe is actually more of a myth than reality) my guess is it was a dud the day you opened the box. The good ones would still fire just fine a couple of decades later.

This ^ most likely.

MM

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Doctor friend has a Glock 26. As he can't bring it into the hospital it sat in the car for hours on end at over 100* heat in the summer and -20* in the winter. The ammo was in the gun for a year and when he went to fire it off to change out THE WHOLE MAG was cooked. Now he changes out every 4 months.

As to factory rounds being duds, when I worked for Dallas PD the range collected bad factory carry rounds and had a large box of them...so it happens..too often.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the only round you ever know for sure that is going to work, is the last one that went "BANG" for ya.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe we should get some dummies and have a pard incorporate them randomly in mags during training to work on immediate action drills.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
Doctor friend has a Glock 26. As he can't bring it into the hospital it sat in the car for hours on end at over 100* heat in the summer .

That's a very, very valid reason for frequent changes of carry ammo.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I usually shoot and replace my carry ammo at least twice a year. In all Calibers, I've gone to strictly Speer ammo, for my CCW ammo. It seems to be the most reliable factory ammo, IMO.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/08/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.