-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read on military.com that the video was from China, FWIW.

Carpe' Scrotum

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steve
Read on military.com that the video was from China, FWIW.

Good.

They are training women for combat too; kinda evens the playing field.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
definitely not the trainer's first rodeo - lucky for her.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by Calhoun
One of the things I missed.. no live grenades at Leonard Wood in the mid-80's when I went through. Never have thrown a live one.

Must be one of those vagaries of the military. Same place, about the same time, and we DID throw a couple............

Friends went through in '82 and it was closed, I think I went through in '83. I was never given a reason, my friends were told it was closed due to too many unexploded grenades downrange. Supposedly had a couple instances where they threw a live one and it set off another.

I'll admit I barely passed the freaking grenade test. Distance was fine, but just about every one I threw seemed to take a wild bounce left or right and rolled to the edge or out of the target zone. Screw the hand grenades, give me a M203.. could hit anything with that wonderful thing.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Surely can't be Camp Pendelton, CA.

Can't get a closeup, but those folks look a little Asiany to me...

It's not. Seen that before. If I recall, it's S.Korea.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We had a guy hit the wall like that with one at Ft Leonard Wood in '70 when I was in basic. Same thing - the man in charge grabbed him and stuffed them into a concrete bunker 3 steps away. They don't put indecisive, slow moving men on the grenade ranges.

Happened again in early '73 @ Leonard Wood.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Fort Jackson in 1966 during basic I saw a recruit drop one and immediately reach down, pick it up and throw it over the wall. The trainers were so impressed with his concentration they let him throw a few more.

The rest of us only got one throw. frown

The other thing I remember about that day was our platoon sergeant suggested we lift a few practice grenades for the company to practice with in our company area. He was a bit taken back when folks from the platoon had scarfed up about thirty of them. Just moving Uncle Sam's equipment from one area to another. wink

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Calhoun
One of the things I missed.. no live grenades at Leonard Wood in the mid-80's when I went through. Never have thrown a live one.

I threw live grenades at Leonard Wood in the mid-80's.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I was thinking the same thing. Nowhere near enough safety gear on anyone to be in our military...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Summer of '69 at Fort Lewis we spent a whole morning throwing practice grenades--same weight just no charge. You took turns--one guy throwing--one guy watching where it landed and calling out distance in meters. I think my platoons average was about 40 meters--until after chow we threw a live one--average distance was about 55 meters.

IC B3

R
RS308MX Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Summer of '69 at Fort Lewis we spent a whole morning throwing practice grenades--same weight just no charge. You took turns--one guy throwing--one guy watching where it landed and calling out distance in meters. I think my platoons average was about 40 meters--until after chow we threw a live one--average distance was about 55 meters.

grin grin grin

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We had practice grenades that held a "charge" about like an M80 at Ft Benning. We had to hold one in our hand when it went off (think solid steel ball with a cylindrical hole through it that the "charge", fuse, etc. screwed into). Just keep your hand away from the bottom and all was well! Spent a day crawling all around throwing them into "tunnels", foxholes, etc. I know we threw a live one too but remember the "dummies" more than the real one 'cause we probably threw 50-60 of those one day.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We did the same thing at Ft Knox in 86 (grenade qualification).
One of the guys earned the nick name John Wayne after he jumped on one the training grenades that one of the instructors tossed into a group of us standing around waiting our turn (all the rest of us hit the ground with boots toward the grenade).

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No way it's Camp Pendelton. They would not be throwing grenades without Kevlar and protective gear on. Hell, even when I threw grenades at Paris Island 35 years ago we wore our helmets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TXRam
We had practice grenades that held a "charge" about like an M80 at Ft Benning. We had to hold one in our hand when it went off (think solid steel ball with a cylindrical hole through it that the "charge", fuse, etc. screwed into). Just keep your hand away from the bottom and all was well! Spent a day crawling all around throwing them into "tunnels", foxholes, etc. I know we threw a live one too but remember the "dummies" more than the real one 'cause we probably threw 50-60 of those one day.

Practice grenades over here were a solid rubber body into which you screwed a regular fuse/denonator assembly..Suspect they didn't trust us throwing lumps of steel at each other even if they were inert! grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,776
Posts18,495,801
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.