Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tracks Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In addition to my normal day pack I need something to carry the required equipment for a days muzzle loading hunt.
I'm looking for something convenient for reloading,swabbing between shots if time allows, and whatever may come up in a day without having to dig in my day pack.
I plan to carry pre measured charges
Suggestions?

GB1

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
When I hunt, I carry 2 full speed loaders, a ball starter, and either a straight line capper (for #11's) or a 209 carrier with a few primers in it. That's all I have, and I keep them in my pockets ready to go. I like to keep it simple, less is more.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
tell us what your set up is. It will be easier from there.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by WV_Hunter1
When I hunt, I carry 2 full speed loaders, a ball starter, and either a straight line capper (for #11's) or a 209 carrier with a few primers in it. That's all I have, and I keep them in my pockets ready to go. I like to keep it simple, less is more.

Me too, plus I carry a small black metal folding t-handle for pushing the load down and seating it properly. Then I always have two clean patches, for I like to spit-swab the bore first, if both time and the deer allow it.

Folding T-Handle sabot/bullet loader

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you don't have your speed loader picked out yet, check these out, I like 'em, they hold primer, powder, and bullet and fit in your shirt pocket:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...hot-loader-with-bullet-starter-pack-of-2

For cleaning or clearing the flash hole, I like these:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/18317

For swabbing the bore, I bring one of these and some cotton patches:

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10...-cleaning-jag-brass?cm_vc=ProductFinding

And some of these for wiping down the rifle, and using like a patch in the bore if you need to:

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Cleaning-and-Maintenance/Cleaning-Maintenance/Barricade%C2%AE-Take-Alongs.aspx

Can't get the last link to work but they're individual foil packets of wipes with Birchwood Casey Barricade on them, they double as a rust preventative and bore solvent in a pinch.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Using BH209 and saboted bullets simplified things for me last year. The BH charge tubes can be used for bullets as well as powder. The sabots start with thumb pressure, eliminating the need for a starter. I wear a cord around my neck carrying a TC 209 holder and a homemade pick made of stainless leader wire. Pretty much everything I need for a day's hunt can go in my pockets. I still have a possibles bag as well as a small toolbox back in my car in case of trouble.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Using BH209 and saboted bullets simplified things for me last year.

He's in Colorado.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The sabots start with thumb pressure, eliminating the need for a starter.

I use the Barnes bullets with sabots, and lately I have been seating the sabot and then dropping the bullet down the barrel and seating it. Barnes bullets are tapered on the base and have always seated all the way down and straight using this method. I have my ramrod marked so that I am sure. They are tight and hard to seat otherwise, but shoot good. So far, I have noticed no loss of accuracy and this is much easier and faster. I carry a few patches and a jag to run down the barrel. I carry everything-premeasured powder, extra bullets, patches, jags in different sized plastic ziplock bags, in a small fake leather shoulder bag. I have been using it for years and keep it ready to grab and go. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Tracks Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shopping around on the 'net, I found something at Sportsmans Guide that looks to be what I need. It's a fanny pack thingy that's supposed to conceal a handgun.
Main pocket and two small ones that should hold all I need.
I'm kinda new at this so I'm still working out the bugs and asking for advice.
I'll either be shooting a Knight KRB fifty or a CVA Wolf fifty.
Bullet for either will be a No Excuses 495 gr, Winchester 209s, and pre measured 80 grs Triple seven for the Knight or 70 grs for the Wolf
Those loading are subject to change as I experiment.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What works best for me is carrying everything I need in the cargo pockets of BDU's or camo pants.

I carry two separate zipper type ziploc bags.One has things I would need quickly, speed loader, capper,bullets tarter,etc.

The other has a few solvent soaked patches, dry patches, nipple wrench, action wrench, powder flask,extra bullets, bullet and patch jags, etc.

It always seems to rain during ML season and I want to keep everything dry

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Using BH209 and saboted bullets simplified things for me last year.

He's in Colorado.

So no BH and primers, or just no sabots?

My possibles bag is made of canvas and has two compartments and some small pckets built into the divider for small stuff. I usually put a patch puller, worm and extra jag in a small plastic box to keep them from getting lost. Wet patches for cleaning go in a plastic film can (remember film?) and dry patches in a small zip bag. With pre-measured charges in tubes or speed loaders, the total load is still pretty light. Powder horns and flasks look cool but are a pain to carry. The cord around my neck can also carry a piece of innertube with holes punched for caps. More caps can go in the original tin, padded with an extra dry patch to keep them quiet.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You can use BH209 in Colorado. It works well with conicals. Especially thors.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bigblock455
You can use BH209 in Colorado. It works well with conicals. Especially thors.

Not so well in side locks or TC Black Diamonds though.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What works best for me is carrying everything I need in the cargo pockets of BDU's or camo pants.

Looking at the numbers of them out there, I guess that I am the odd man out. I do not like things flopping around in those cargo pockets. It bugs the hell out of me. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No sabots. Primers are ok.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Knight KRB fifty or a CVA Wolf fifty

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I carry everything needed to manage the rifle in an elk hide shooting bag- balls, capper (or spare flints), pre-cut lubed patches, cleaning/ball pulling attachments, a small piece of flannel for cleaning purposes, etc.- all ensconced in their own compartment so as to eliminate fumbling around and clinking as I walk. Small knife and powder horn attached to the shoulder strap completes the rig. All I need to do is grab my rifle, shoulder the bag and I'm ready to go. No reason not to use a period arrangement like that with a "modern" muzzleloader.

Over the opposite shoulder I sling my possibles bag. (That which holds all the extraneous junk I might "possibly" need to add comfort to a day in the woods, but not necessary for the management of the rifle. Stuff like candy bars, tin cup, sandwich, bigger knife, lighter, compass, binoculars, etc.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/08/15.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
one thing i learned over the years it to stop over packing and humping more weight in the woods than you need.

Speed loaders with some extra primers is basically all I carry for an inline.

Not so much cleaning supplies because I use BH209 but T7 users maybe find those medical alcohol swabs useful to clean out the crud ring after the first shot. It helps to learn if your rifle makes the crud ring before attempting to reload in the field on a fouled bore.

For my sidelocks I have my horn attached to my bag. A little tin with extra caps and a stack of patches, cleaning jag " Now fully attached to my ramrod" short starter and a nipple wrench is all I take with me. The TOW "Green fiber stuff padding the cap tins" is what I use to swab the bore if I fire the rifle off, just to make sure things go down smoothly.
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Tracks
In addition to my normal day pack I need something to carry the required equipment for a days muzzle loading hunt.

I've started wearing a Cabela's guide vest with lots of cargo pockets. One of the big pockets in front is lined with nylon and zips shut to help keep the snow and rain out and my powder dry. I keep my loading blocks, powder charges, etc. in that pocket. The nice thing about the vest is I can slip it over whatever coat I am wearing at the time and keep all my essential items in one place. That way, there's less risk of forgetting something left in another pocket, license, knife, etc. when changing coats.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,415
Posts18,470,496
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.