Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Took my first ride in a used Austrailian saddle on a horse we just picked up. Never sat in one so I wasn't sure what to expect but wanted to give it a try before passing judgement. Liked it. Comfortable, secure, light weight. The stirrups were very comfortable, being outside the fenders there was little resistence to any angle you want to put your feet at. Was suprised beforehand when looking it over at how the stirrup leathers attach and are made to come off if a foot was hung in the stirrup. Liked the overstrap (?) for the girth that runs across the seat.

I know nothing about them and assume this is a cheap model but saw a lot to like for most riding if roping isn't part of the use.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Took my first ride in a used Austrailian saddle on a horse we just picked up. Never sat in one so I wasn't sure what to expect but wanted to give it a try before passing judgement. Liked it. Comfortable, secure, light weight. The stirrups were very comfortable, being outside the fenders there was little resistence to any angle you want to put your feet at. Was suprised beforehand when looking it over at how the stirrup leathers attach and are made to come off if a foot was hung in the stirrup. Liked the overstrap (?) for the girth that runs across the seat.

I know nothing about them and assume this is a cheap model but saw a lot to like for most riding if roping isn't part of the use.

Most likely a surcingle.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I imagine it's an individual thing. I tried a number of them some years back and hated them. IMO they combine the worst aspects of english and western saddles. Again JMO but you couldn't give me one but to each their own.

BORN to HUNT
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
One thing about them, the stirrups are stet a little bit more forward than a typical westen saddle.For long rides,this is a lot more comfortable.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of reasons based on individual taste/fit/needs that a person might not like one. Was my first use of one and I'm happy to give it some more use for R&D...

The stirrups were a bit more forward and the saddle itself seems to sit a bit more forward on the horse than a western saddle. Seems like more of the rider's weight will be carried closer to the withers than with a western saddle. Seems like this could be good. I don't know if the horse can feel it more but I could certainly feel the horse more when giving it leg cues.

I did like the lightweight, open center, and smaller footprint on the horses back. In the summer the more air getting to skin the better down here.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Do you have the stuffed panel style? Cheap aussie saddles are just as bad as cheap western ones - good fit is essential both for horse and rider. Have had two different ones. Neither have fit my horse or mule well due to buying cheap ones. http://www.aussiesaddle.com/ Colin Dangard is fun to chat with and has some good informational youtube videos.
I am considering biting the bullet and getting a good quality fitted one myself.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm assuming this is a cheap one, but I don't know enough about them to really say. It has the stuffed panels. The leather shows wear from use but looks like it is pretty good leather compared to leather I've seen on cheap western saddles.

It seems to fit the mare well. She has good withers and the saddle seems to ride forward on them well. Don't think it would work at all on a gelding we have which is about the same height/weight as the mare but whose topline and withers are much different with a thicker/flatter build.

Thanks for the links!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had one for a trial ride, but sent it back...
I liked the way it rode, comfortable and very secure.
My mare hated it though, basically went nuts when I put my weight on it. It was one of the more expensive imports, think it sold for 11-1200 new? It had the stuffed panels.
Sent them a wither tracing, but it seemed to pinch her, and she's always been super sensitive to pressure on her back anyway.
Had a similar experience with a vintage Buena Vista recently.
Did not feel the quality was really there though for what it cost, compared to what a grand plus will buy in a western saddle.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
If it didn't fit the horse it would be tough to go with no matter how much you liked it. Would be a bit of work from what I understand to fluff the panels on one that doesn't fit to begin with...I didn't even know enough about austrialian saddles to know they were made with anything besides panels until I poked around a bit on Dan H's link. The panels on the one I have seem to be packed/hard, but the fit seems to be perfect for the mare so I'm not going to mess with them.

Rode her with it again this evening and I'm still impressed. I have no $ in it other than the cost of the girth I had to buy so it's a win/win for me there. Both it and this mare are new to me but I'm enjoying them.

Rode the mare then a gelding (different saddle) this evening. He's a rose regardless of name and my wife ended up with him but I'm glad to ride him second hand while she's on vacation with our kids. Living the bachelor life the past couple of weeks has given me a lot of extra time in the saddle... Is it bad when a married man spends more time in the saddle when his wife's away? Anyhow, she and the kids will be back next week so I'll just keep riding and shooting while I have the free time.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
We have used many many amish saddles due to where we live. Between a couple friends and ourselves we've used multiple Tucker's circle y billy cook american saddlery bighorn and now Steele saddles.

To us and for our uses the steeles are by far the best fit for the horses and most comfortable to us. Been riding them for 3 or 4 years now and couldn't be happier. Haven't had a saddle fit problem at all since either which is huge if you've ever dealt with saddle fit problems. Have bought some very expensive pads that at best was a very temporary fix for a poor fit.

Either way just thought I'd share how happy we've been with them.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like Steele's but haven't owned one. Really like the looks of their version of a Wade saddle. Lightweight and compact. Didn't know until I looked but they also make an Australian.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The only ones Ive ridden are the mountaineers which we ride and my friends trailboss. I wouldn't mind trying the wade for some applacations but really like the low profile slim front on the mountaineer for starting colts. I've only sat in the cheap made Australian saddles so really can't comment on them.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The poleys on my old aussie saddle saved me from being a lawn dart on a few occasions. Getting back into riding after my last wreck I went back to an aussie till my balance and confidence met back up.
Awling your saddle stuffing using an ice pick lets you get a good fit. Your thighs should have about 3/4" room from the poleys. The seat should be horizontal or slightly uphill until it forms to the horse. If the stirups are too forward , switching to english leathers helps and less knee torque. Plus you get to wear dusters and slouch hats as well as learning a new laguage with terms like "ya wanker"...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I ride my Gramps' 70 yr old Association. No padded seat but I can ride it for 10-12 hrs with no discomfort and I have never thrown it on a horse it has sored up from mutton whithered quarter horses to razor backed TBs. I guess I'm just the "old dog" and you know what they say about the "new tricks" lol

BORN to HUNT
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Here's the real deal.

Southern Cross Poley, one of many styles they make. My favorite trail saddle.
They request a wither tracing to ensure appropriate fit for your horse.

I have seen several cheap imitations that in no way can compare to Southern Cross construction.

Have owned Steele's and they are excellent.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I wouldn't mind trying one of those sometime. That looks like a nice saddle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If anybody would be interested my wife's selling her aussie saddle. Not sure the maker, I paid almost a grand for it new. It's a good saddle, she loved it but it won't fit her horse. If interested shoot me a pm.

And just on a saddle note, my Colorado w/ association tree has been on more than a few horses, and fit the majority, but there were plenty that needed creative padding or even just didn't work.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After the movies "The Man From Snowy River" and "Return To Snowy River" came out many of the locals went nuts about the Austrailian saddles, however the fad quickly died down. I never owned one, but had a chance to ride some. Different ride, but not too different from riding a McClellan calvary saddle.

Granddad and Dad used McCellan's when breaking colts. We had about 1/2 dozen around the place. When I left home Dad gave me one...actually, I rescued it from a hard life. grin Eventually the girth and quarter straps gave out and I had the Amish put new quarter straps on it from the pommel and cantle strap brass halter square on down.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

An interesting and nice riding saddle was sort of an Aussie stock saddle with military use modifications. A relative was doing Peace Corp work in Zimbabwe, formally Rhodesia and came across some surplus Rhodesian calvary saddles and sent one back to the States. I got to use it for about six months. Good ride.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice Saddle. We have an American Saddle Bred Mare that I would like to see how that Saddle fits her.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
mcclellans make into damn good packsaddles and. aussies make good saddles for riding and setting on, for stock work not so much. They ain't worth a chit for roping and doctoring in the pasture, but are ok to drive cattle into the pens for that kinda 'stock' work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.