-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a pic of my latest Montana acquired last week , this one is new to me but used. First shot at anything besides paper.

It is my 5th Kimber, I'll probably own more.
[Linked Image]

GB1

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All 4 of these are very good shooters.

Last edited by K22; 07/14/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a Longmaster .308 that would scare 1/4" often enough to be interesting. It would also scratch brass feeding from the right side of the magazine. It went down the road due to the simultaneous occurance of a kid in college and a bum transmission. So sad.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have 5 that are great. The biggest POS factory rifle I ever bought was a Kimber 84M also.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by simplyme
Anyone shooting a Kimber rifle. Thinking of buying one. Good or Bad.

Somebody gave me a Kimber Montana and it shoots very well.

Travis

Did it go something like this?...:

Shrapnel: Hey Flave, here's a rifle I want you to have. A real nice Kimber montana 270 win. Here's a box of .223 rem... Let's go Elk hunting buddy..... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by camdog

Some suggested that I should have returned it to Kimber. Maybe so.

My Kimber Select in 257R shot terrible. I'm talking 6-8" groups. I was pissed as it was the first rifle I ever purchased over $1000. This was about 5 years ago. I called Kimber and sent it back. Turns out the barrel was bad. The replaced the barrel and sent it back. Now it shoots great. I would buy another Kimber if it was new because Kimber took care of things. I wouldn't buy a used one unless I knew and trusted the seller because you run the risk of buying someone's problem.

Scott
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I first bought my 84M 7mm-08 from Lubbock Dave ... I was seriously concerned. Then I read a little more and got me some education on care and feeding of a light rifle off of bags.

Lo and behold, Campfire staple loads of 50 Big Game / 120 NBT and 44 R15/120 TTSX are each sub MOA and the NBT load lands just 1" North of the copper at 100. 120 VMax's track with the Noslers.

I can't be happier with my rig ...

GE

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've long coveted an 84m, and figured 'kimber roulette' was just a few unhappy, picky curmudgeons. I saved up my pennies and after perusing all the online outlets found the classic select that had walnut that met my standards, and ordered it.

[Linked Image]

First impression was great. What a well designed, balanced, and aesthetically pleasing rifle.

I loaded the magazine and started jacking rounds through. Huge gouge in each brass. Sticking my pinky in I could feel a burr the size of a Volkswagen on the feed rail. Whatever. Annoying, but not a deal breaker.

I took the gun in to my smith to have the rail polished. He stuck his flashlight in the chamber and found this-

[Linked Image]

I have no idea what happened, but it's mind blowing to me that the chamber on a $1300 rifle can look like that.

Customer service was somewhat helpful, my rifle is back in Yonkers, and I've got a hunt in Alaska next month that I'll be taking my Ruger on.

I'm sure the vast majority of their rifles perform as they should, but obviously from my sample they've got some serious quality control issues.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Dang.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My 308 Longmaster is one of my favorites. Shoots small groups with no scratching of the brass. 155 skinners and Varget rock .

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RDW
Anyone shooting a Kimber rifle. Thinking of buying one. Good or Bad.

You gotta be fishing, there is no shortage of Montana threads wink

Sorry no fishing here. Just a simple question is all. If you fell I am fishing then their really is no need to answer my simple question.

He's probably just trying to figure out your angle, if you have one. There's a new kimber rifle thread weekly and a simple search will yield more info than you would want to read through.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rl11
I've long coveted an 84m, and figured 'kimber roulette' was just a few unhappy, picky curmudgeons. I saved up my pennies and after perusing all the online outlets found the classic select that had walnut that met my standards, and ordered it.

[Linked Image]

First impression was great. What a well designed, balanced, and aesthetically pleasing rifle.

I loaded the magazine and started jacking rounds through. Huge gouge in each brass. Sticking my pinky in I could feel a burr the size of a Volkswagen on the feed rail. Whatever. Annoying, but not a deal breaker.

I took the gun in to my smith to have the rail polished. He stuck his flashlight in the chamber and found this-

[Linked Image]

I have no idea what happened, but it's mind blowing to me that the chamber on a $1300 rifle can look like that.

Customer service was somewhat helpful, my rifle is back in Yonkers, and I've got a hunt in Alaska next month that I'll be taking my Ruger on.

I'm sure the vast majority of their rifles perform as they should, but obviously from my sample they've got some serious quality control issues.

Good Luck! Here is a Kimber chamber thst is (within Kimber specs per Sergio)
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
[Linked Image]
Crappy Kimber 308 at 200-yards. Heavy too.... I worked hard pulling it out of that box, all the tinkering, geesh!

All things aside, I would be mad if I got a bad one! I think the quality of some early ones was not there, but the ones I have are great tools. Co-worker just picked up a 7-08, will be interested in seeing how his works.

Last edited by hunting1; 07/15/15.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sidepass
My 308 Longmaster is one of my favorites. Shoots small groups with no scratching of the brass. 155 skinners and Varget rock .

I've got 100 155 skinners to try, but its shooting 150ABs so well that I haven't loaded any.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought the wife a Super America in 308 back in '05.
Nice rifle and real pretty. Shoots good and yes I've tinkered with it. I like to tinker with rifles.
Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn't buy a used 260 but the rest of em' are okay.....

Carry a rifle for 8-12 hours a day and they should be top on the list for a hunting rifle.

A good shooting Kimber is pretty much the chit.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I wouldn't buy a used 260 but the rest of em' are okay.....

Carry a rifle for 8-12 hours a day and they should be top on the list for a hunting rifle.

A good shooting Kimber is pretty much the chit.

The most systemic problem Kimber has had with their rifles were with a group of 7mm-08 rifles about 10-12 years ago built with a bunch of bad 7MM barrels that Kimber had bought from a supplier.

I have a friend who bought a "definite bad" used Classic Supreme in 260 Rem that it took about 10 minutes to get it to shoot itty-bitty groups.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I have a few, one in .280 Rem, one in .350 Rem Mag, one in .35 Whelen, one in 243.
Al shoot MOA or better right out of the box.... No bedding, trigger tuning, free floating or any other "tinkering" for that matter.

Oh wait.... My mistake, those are my Ruger 77's

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had more duds in Remingtons and Winchesters than Kimbers. Just my expierence.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot my Kimber 84M Montana 308 today with the 155 VLD's.

It made a three shot one hole 'group' sighted right in!

Those are outstanding rifles.

They are so light.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

264 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 22 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,389
Posts18,469,819
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.