Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Got into 6 hatchery kings the last couple of days. These are pretty big fish, averaging 20 lbs. In the past (only done this once), I've tried lightly smoking them and then pressure canned them. They definately had too intense of a smoke flavor. Using a Bradley smoker with the auto bisquit feed. Any tips?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice fish! Not to be a smart azz, but try even less smoke. I'll also sugest roasing a head of garlic and adding a few cloves to a few cans.

To me properly done smoked canned salmon is the most amazing sweet oily salmony goodness!!!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Not to be a smart azz . . .

Smartass!! grin

I definately will smoke it less. I can load biscuits so it can only advance one at a time. Maybe just two bisquits is about right?

Follow up question. The fillets will be well over 1" thick in the meaty parts. Is is better to cut strips or just do chunks? I want to do chunks as I can get more volume/poundage per smoke session.

I've heard of guys not even smoking, but putting a few drops of liquid smoke in the jars before canning. Never tried this and have my doubts on quality/flavor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd do strips to get more consistent thickness, say the belly is 1/2" thick, I'd cut the belly strips 1" wide and the thick parts 1/2" wide. I hear you about getting the biggest load in the smoker per session but sometimes you just gotta go with the smaller load to get the product you want.

I've never used liquid smoke, somethings I'm just not willing to take a short cut on. Not to mention I like to use different woods to smoke, alder, birch and hickory and blends thereof for different flavors. I have no idea what type of wood is used in liquid smoke or what flavor you'd get with it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
liquid smoke has such a bad aftertaste to me, I haven't had a bottle of it in likely 30 years.

No clue what a biscuit is, we smoke game here, with green woods.

You certainly can oversmoke, I think 458 has it right, just keep backing off till you figure it out.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've tried the liquid smoke in canned salmon and I wasn't a fan of it, you have to be real careful how much you use.

I've got a Bradley Smoke Generator on my smoker and it works great plus I like how you can control the amount of smoke it uses by adding or subtracting the discs. I'd go with 1-2 discs depending on what kind you are using.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What type of wood are the disks made of? I like to use apple or cherry when I smoke salmon, hickory or mesquite leaves it too smoky for my tastes.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Bradley makes cherry wood disks, but I bought alder as they were on sale.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alder shouldn't over smoke it too quickly. I think you are probably on the right track with only one disk or two.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alder is my very favorite for salmon.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With smoking, then canning, salmon the idea is to not pull too much moisture out of the fish.

You are on the right track realizing liquid smoke is schit...

After brining (90 minutes in ice cold brine made with 1 cup non-iodized salt and 2 cups brown sugar per gallon) rinse quickly in cold water and place on racks to form the pellicle. When that is done smoke on the lowest possible heat for no more than two hours and possibly just an hour.

If you want to get crazy weigh a piece form the middle of the rack of average size. When it has lost 5% of its weight or slightly more, pull the fish from the smoker and put in jars. I have gone to retort bags which are exactly like MRE bags and vacuum sealed, but jars are fine...

Proceed like you know how to from everything else you have canned. It is pretty easy at that point.

The smoking is for flavor and to drag a little moisture from the fish. It will get ALL the way through the fish in the canning process.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do not worry about the size of the chunks as it will not matter after canning. An assortment of sizes makes packing jars easier.

With the retort bags I use the weight in each bag is critical and I weigh every load for every bag. In a couple hundred bags I have yet to have a failure with a bag... though others cannot seem to get a single bag right...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Art, do you use the 8 oz or 16 oz retort bags? I'm looking at taking the chamber sealer plunge so figure retort canning is the next step.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use both, and 4 ouncers. the one thing I have found that makes the most difference is the use of a pressure gauge rather than a rattler. The rattler releases pressure too quickly at the end and bags rupture.

Using the gauge and monitoring progress carefully has resulted in zero bag failures after doing a couple hundred. it is also more efficient as you can cram a lot more product in the cooker with the bags.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
. . . rinse quickly in cold water and place on racks to form the pellicle.

I'm at a loss as to why this is necessary. I understand why (and I do) for a hard smoke. You want it to skin over so the fish oil/juices don't weep. If I'm only smoking for 1 - 1.5 hours and it's going to be a wet-packed product anyway, why bother?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Because if you do not the smoke will stick to the fish much more and you will oversmoke too quickly. It also sets up the texture and helps the fish keep its shape while cooking.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Why not try smoking for 30 minute increments to see how much is enough for your taste?

Start a batch in the smoker and take out a jar-full every 30 min until fish has smoked for say, 3 hours?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Two hours is plenty of smoke. It is harder to undersmoke than oversmoke it... and he is only looking to smoke for an hour or so...

Last edited by Sitka deer; 07/16/15.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
OK. Not done it here, but heard from those that have how the smoke flavor/aroma intensifies when PC'd. Thought a little test worthwhile.

When I do this, I'll just call you first.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think I've ever had an under smoked fish, but I've definately have over smoked fish. Something to keep in mind.

And this thread is killing me, because when this is done right

[Linked Image]

it's amazing! That and I haven't dropped a hook or net on salmon yet this season frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 69 invisible), 3,310 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,484
Posts18,471,837
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.