Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You might be surprised to read this, but we aren't that far apart. First of all, these are published specs. Sometimes they are not quite what the makers say they are.
The big difference isn't at the upper end of the magnification range. I don't really know how big the eye box is on a 2.5-8X36 at 8X. But my experience indicates that the eye relief of that scope should be about 4 inches at 6X. If so, that means that the eye box is at least .6 of an inch at that point, .3 inches to the 3.7 inch 8X eye box center and .3 back. Eye boxes aren't square boxes. They are tapering cones of various shapes. The eye's pupil may only be dialated to a 2mm during daylight, so the eye relief/eye box is any where the eye can see the whole image or a 2mm section of these cones. In this case, the scope may have a .6 inch eye box, but probably a bit more. But under twilight conditions, the eye opens to a 5mm pupil and the eye box is that range where it is at least 5mm in size. In otherwords, it would be smaller.
At the lower magnifications is where there is the big difference between scopes. The eye relief measurements for the Leupold's eye box is 4.7 at 2.5X. At that magnification, the eye box goes all the way to the 3.7 inch point on the Leupold. Not so on the Nikon. It's probably a bit larger than .1 of an inch, but nothing like the Leupold.
Another interesting thing would be the two scopes low light performance. The Leupold should be a touch brighter under twilight conditions. That's because it can use 7X with a 5mm exit pupil. But the nikon should be better at night. That's because it can use 6X at a 7mm exit pupil whereas the 36mm Leupold can only use about 5X. E

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
BTW, I've often found your posts to be helpful and I've learned a few things from you. Don't be shy about speaking your mind just because you don't have as much experience. Nobody knows everything. E.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
DJ, what an eye doc can get your eyes to do with medication is one thing. How well they function in low light can be quite different.
The eye only dialates as much as it needs to. Twilight requires it to dialate only to about a 5mm size as a rule.
While it is common that many over 40 eye's can't dilate all the way to a 7mm pupil size, it isn't always true. Mine work as well as always and I'm 62. I just walked an old logging cut in full darkness w/o moon. Couldn't see anything much over 8-10 feet clearly, but that was enough. No lights needed. Under those conditions, my fancy Leica binoculars don't work at all. They produce only a 5mm exit pupil. But, again, before legal shooting hours, they were up and working. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DJ, what an eye doc can get your eyes to do with medication is one thing. How well they function in low light can be quite different.
The eye only dialates as much as it needs to. Twilight requires it to dialate only to about a 5mm size as a rule.
E

You didn't read my post correctly E. My eyes were measured without dialation in light similar to twilight at over 7mm. After dialating chemicals they were over 11 and I had to wear those stupid glasses for the rest of the day.
When I'm hunting in the evening my eyes can dialate that far if I'm looking through a scope so a scope with an exit pupil of more than 5mm is an advantage. It's a proven fact......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
J_Scott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone driving one of these?

TIA,

J_Scott

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...true#Post510947

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...true#Post214153

If you PM Tim I bet he'll give you the lowdown on the 1.5-6x42 model. I really enjoy my 2.5-10x56, but it's a special purpose scope for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Monarch Gold 1.5-6x42.

I'm not going to venture into the debate concerning eye box and eye relief, as neither has been an issue in the nearly two years I've owned the scope.

It's been mounted on two seperate .350 Rem Mag's, and has held up flawlessly. Alot of glass for the $$. Excellent optical performance... only negative in view is it's a little large and heavy... but balances well with my Model 7 CDL .350RM

I mainly use this setup to hunt hogs at night. Works great for me!

P
P
I also have the Monarch Gold 1.5-6 and can say that it is about the easiest to use scope on the market. You can move your head side to side, up and down, back and forth and still be able to shoot. To say the eye position is friendly would be an understatement. NOTHING else on the market with the possible exception of the Leupold 1-4 VXII compares.

It does have negatives though, weight would be the most onerous. I expected it to a little sharper than it is, and the reticle turns orange when light comes into the scope from the rear. All in all though, I feel I can put up with those short comings for the generous and easy eye placement.

Gabe

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I`m still in love..................

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,035
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.