Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was shooting my Glock today & got a click instead of a bang.

The firing pin strike was very light & off center on the primer.

What to look for ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I don't want to a smart azz, but was it the right ammo?

The only reason I say that is I took a CHL class and there was a lady shooting a Springfield 9mm. This was back in the shortage days. The shop where she bought the ammo filled a box by putting some 9x18s in there.

Other than that...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
A chance it's a piece of a primer cup that flowed into the fp hole and was sheared off. I've seen this cause light strikes in many makes and models of auto pistols.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah.... Nowhere near enough helpful info.
Is this a common occurrence, have you even shot it since, did you try and light it twice, have you compared a dozen of your primer strikes to see a trend, have you disassembled the slide and looked in the striker channel???

His stand on your own 10, and do some very basic detective work. When in doubt, RTFM.

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a very simple pistol to strip. I'd strip it and ensure its clean. If it is, a spring kit costs about as much as lunch.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just had the same problem with my 10mm Glock. I don't know if what I found will be the cause of your problem, but it was easy to check and fix.

The firing pin dent on the primer was on the edge of the primer. It happened mostly on the second shot, with a full magazine and not when I manually retracted the slide and released it to chamber a round. I removed the barrel and dropped a live round into the chamber. It did not chamber fully and required a firm push to seat the round in the chamber. I cleaned the chamber with a brass brush and the rounds dropped in would easily seat full depth without assistance.

The obstruction in the chamber was preventing the cartridge from seating fully and the barrel was prevented from going fully into battery. When the Glock was fired, it was enough out of battery to cause a light strike by the firing pin that was off center on the primer. The problem occurred most regularly when the magazine was full and happened less often when the magazine was nearly empty. My guess was that there was less pressure on the slide with fewer cartridges in the magazine and the force of the returning slide was enough to seat the round in the chamber.

Hope this helps.

Harry
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Assuming the gun is cleaned and properly lubed I would do a quick check of the recoil spring.

The test for the recoil spring is with the gun empty pull the trigger and keep it depressed throughout the test. Now with the pistol pointed vertically pull the slide back and let it forward very slowly remembering to keep the trigger depressed. It must go into full lock up when pointed vertical. If it will not lock up without help or pointing it downward it needs a new recoil spring assembly.

For a carry gun I recommend testing pointing straight up. For recreational shooting the gun will usually function as long as the slide will close while testing in the horizontal or level position. When it gets this weak it's time to pick up a spare spring. They are cheap.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I just had the same problem with my 10mm Glock. I don't know if what I found will be the cause of your problem, but it was easy to check and fix.

The firing pin dent on the primer was on the edge of the primer.

It's disturbing that you were able to drop the striker on that one; it shouldn't be able to fire out of battery. Could be bad tolerance stack up, but could be something wrong too, you might want to look into that.

With the barrel out of battery, the slide shouldn't move forward far enough to drop the striker.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 12 invisible), 1,686 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.