R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by grunchkin
Originally Posted by southtexas
buy all the high condition model 70 post 64's up to the early 80's that you can afford.

Haveta disagree with this. The price of the pre64s started going up in 1964...as soon as folks saw the replacement. I don't think there is any way the post 64s will ever become collectable in the same way the pre64s have. I say this while owning a number of them, they are fine rifles.

Didn't say they would ever be as collectable as pre 64's. Just sayin if you buy them now, you won't be sorry later.

Best if you don't buy them, more that I can buy dirt cheap and cash in on 25 years from now, assuming I live that long...

You might be right......
Just saw a push feed mod 70 beater 06. At cabelas in billings for 750. I bought one very similar condition as a donor several years ago for 200 bucks from a gun shop...

GB1

G
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Might be shootin' myself right square in the foot here, but buy all the high condition model 70 post 64's up to the early 80's that you can afford.

They are cheap now, but in won't last forever especially in the odd calibers.

How many people were buying pre 64's in the 70's?

How many wished they had?

Everybody knows what is hot, the trick is to figure out what is going to be hot before it is...

Got it all wrong there bud...

I think they are a good investment. I'm not really hung up on which is a "better" rifle.

And I also think you meant "their" instead of "there"

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by TheOldTree
The pool of buyers is shrinking. Just because these things rode a wave does not mean that will carry on. There is nothing wrong with cash.

Agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with cash....

Winchester lever prices seem to be at all time highs....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
3584ELK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Gents, it seems that I need to start studying...now. I know a little bit about a lot of things, but I need to learn a lot about a few things (Winchesters).

I simply cannot believe the prices I sometimes see for rifles that once sold for $54 (Remington 721) for example. I think I bought my first Model 70 (XTR Magnum, post 64 PF in 7mm RM) for $175 in 1978. Anyhow, that is the game- buy low and sell high.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
...For instance, I have a Winchester Model 71 Deluxe which has been drilled for a scope mount, so it became something I hunt with rather than preserve. The bluing is around 70% and the stock finish is nearly gone, so much so that the checkering is worn significantly...

You're buying in too [bleep] a condition to make a valuable collection that will appreciate.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
I need to learn a lot about a few things (Winchesters).

The book learning part is the easy part. Only experience gained by handling LOTS of guns will enable you to spot bad guns and there's plenty of them out there...and it takes time to gain that experience along with a good mentor...

The best advice I can give a new collector who wishes to put together a portfolio of original, collectible guns is to only deal with trusted sources. Ignorance, impatience and greed have cost people a lot of $...

Go ahead and restore that 71. It has no collector potential and never will....use it and enjoy it for what it is...

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TheOldTree: You may or may not be right in your observation regarding "the pool of Winchester buyers is shrinking"?
But I do know this - the pool of monies those said "buyers" have IS NOT shrinking!
I could cite many recent instances proving my thesis but I won't waste space here and now with that.
My observations and experiences leads me to believe that the demand for high end top quality collectable Winchesters has been, is, and I predict, WILL BE strong for the rest of all of our lifetimes.
Long live the Riflemans Rifle (and other old Winchesters as well!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Might be shootin' myself right square in the foot here, but buy all the high condition model 70 post 64's up to the early 80's that you can afford.

Everybody knows what is hot, the trick is to figure out what is going to be hot before it is...

I think they are a good investment. I'm not really hung up on which is a "better" rifle.

Only time will tell if the post-64s become valuable but I can tell you today, that "there" is correct.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What did a pre64 M70 in say 7mm, 250/3000, 35REm, 300 Savage cost in the 50"s? A couple of hundred dollars each, maybe. Today you won't buy any of them in 90% condition for less than $7K and more for some. I looked at a mint 35Rem for $10K. What will they be in another 20 years? Today a nice high condition 270 FWT will approach $2K. One thing is for certain there not making any more and the high condition guns will become more and more valuable.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Bob nailed it, there is NOTHING that compares to "hands on experience"....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can never find that guy with the big money when I sell. I have a hard time asking a too high price when I want to sell. Now, If I had a great retail location like Pawn Stars, maybe that would work. Today's big sales mostly go at auction. Someone just made the comment on the Savage board that the auctioneers take the best profit on those. Most of us have stuff that is not going to make the auction catalog. It has been a long time since I have seen a Winchester for sale, that I would want to buy. They are over priced or have issues, and that is why they are for sale.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Why would I have "meant their instead of there"???? Their is a possessive pronoun. Definitely not what the sentence was implying... "There" is being used in the grammatically correct context there bud... wink . Your poor grammar matches your poor taste in rifles.... laugh whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
grunchkin, if you hang out here long enough on the Winchester forum, you'll understand 2 things.

1. Fellas here view "their" Winchesters as "their" children.

2a. Don't phug ck with BSA when he's been working his balls off.
2b. BSA probably knows WTF he's talking about. smile

Just sayin'.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
When I bought my first model 70 (1980s) it was a tad more than a weeks pay....little over 200 bucks...
Now that same model 70 won't bring an adverage weeks pay...something to think about....I don't think they are keeping up with inflation...
Rare pre 64 models yes. Lever actions I wonder if there is going to be much interest in the future...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Something that I think are worth buying right now are the RAR rimfires. Every bit as good as the 77/22's, but half the price. The one I bought a few weeks ago was $249.00 out the door. Not a bad deal for a good accurate 22 magnum. These will go up in price. This is inevitable....Not a Winchester, but a hot buy right now...:

[Linked Image]

I've been contemplating buying another...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When I was in my teens, in the 70's a 61 magnum was the cats ass. We sold them off. They have been replaced by a stainless 77 22 mag. Things change.
We used to wade Thru the Shotgun News. Then gun list came along. It was way easier. Gun list was it, until the internet replaced it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Something that I think are worth buying right now are the RAR rimfires. Every bit as good as the 77/22's, but half the price. The one I bought a few weeks ago was $249.00 out the door. Not a bad deal for a good accurate 22 magnum. These will go up in price. This is inevitable....Not a Winchester, but a hot buy right now...:

[Linked Image]

I've been contemplating buying another...

Not disagreeing really but can't imagin a tupaware stock any thing being collectable but if you log at the boatpaddle Ruger who would have guessed..

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I think that demographics are really against gun collecting as an investment. There are way too many guns in the hands of guys 70+ years old--their heirs are going to want to liquidate a significant portion of those guns over the next 20 years. I just don't see the next generation of buyers in place to keep those values at their current levels, let alone increase. The next generation does not have the disposable income or the fascination in them.

The 30 and 40 year old guys that I know who are into guns just don't have the same passion for the old walnut and steel. I just don't see that many guys paying many thousands of dollars for a gun they have no particular attachment to, in a chambering they never heard of, and know that they can never shoot it--if they want to retain the value.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Dang, you let the cat out of the bag! This is what I am doing, post 64 70s. Picked up a 99% condition 1966 .30-06 for $375 yesterday. Into the safe it goes!

Last edited by desertoakie; 07/25/15.

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by utah708
I think that demographics are really against gun collecting as an investment. There are way too many guns in the hands of guys 70+ years old--their heirs are going to want to liquidate a significant portion of those guns over the next 20 years. I just don't see the next generation of buyers in place to keep those values at their current levels, let alone increase. The next generation does not have the disposable income or the fascination in them.

The 30 and 40 year old guys that I know who are into guns just don't have the same passion for the old walnut and steel. I just don't see that many guys paying many thousands of dollars for a gun they have no particular attachment to, in a chambering they never heard of, and know that they can never shoot it--if they want to retain the value.

I agree with your assessment. But, it hasn't slowed me down any! grin

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,430
Posts18,470,780
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.