Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mac7 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Posted this in the kids section but figured I'd get more info here.

Been looking for some hunting clothing and boots for my daughter. She drew a few tags in Idaho and this will be her first year hunting big game. Want to make sure she is comfortable. Don't mind spending some money to get her set up but seems like she changes shoe sizes twice a year. Any thoughts or ideas from anyone who has been through this appreciated.

Does anyone make wool for kids? Or anyone have any used kids clothing they might want to sell?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smartwool has good kids size socks. For clothing, we've had the best luck with Carrhart bib overalls and jackets. It's not always camo, but earthtones have been fine for us.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Mac7 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I should pick her up another pair of Carhartts since she has outgrown her last pair. They would be ok early and dry weather but she has hunts in Nov/Dec. Was hoping to find something better for rain/snow and cold.

Last edited by Mac7; 07/23/15.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I bought my boy stuff at gander mt. They have a decent kid selection. Some stuff I get at fleet farm if they have it.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Probably not wool, but you'll find tons of clothing dirt cheap at Goodwill or other thrift type stores. A lot of the synthetic under layers sold as athletic clothing works equally well for hunting. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't find a good selection of fleece or even insulated clothing. Probably not in camo, but you never know, and greens or black works just as well. You'll find a lot of brand name stuff such as North Face etc. selling for around $5. After they outgrow it you can take it back and re-donate it.

For footwear you'll probably find some decent insulated rubber boots cheaper than anything else. Buy oversize and put on heavy wool socks. Probably have to pay full price for good socks.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

M
Mac7 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks will get her good wool socks and under layers she already has. Just want to buy the best I can as she has 2 younger sisters that can use it in a few years. She has tags in Nov/Dec and it can be raining/snowing or freezing cold.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you can rationalize the expense over three kids may as well get decent stuff. If they get cold wet and miserable it takes the joy out of it.

M
Mac7 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I agree just wanted to get some ideas on whats out there. My wife and I both have decent stuff seems like its tuff to find good kids stuff.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Cabela's has a 4-Way Parka that I have purchased for my grandkids and it works great. Has dry-plus so in water proof (well as waterproof as vortex is) and the Parka can be worn alone or with the reversible insulated liner, or just the liner itself. I can highly recommend it. I will be purchasing a new one for my granddaughter next week when I am in Cabelas.

I have not found good pants for kids, and my grandchildren have used Carhartt jeans or bibs. My understanding is that Helley Hanson now makes rain gear for kids, so it may work to purchase a pair of rain pants to wear over the Carhartts if wet during wet weather.

As for boots there is no getting around the problem of them outgrowing them in one season. Hopefully you can hand them down to some other kid. My grandchildren are all ages and sizes and they have been able to do that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
indeed it is, best to start now in the search

over the years when my kids were small I found good gear at Sierra trading post, REI etc.

also agree that camo isn't important, movement not color is what blows a stalk

outa sight is outa mind when it comes to critters ime.

plus it just makes sense to buy them gear that they use outside of hunting season

smartwool type socks and underwear (STP), synthetic shell, nylon pants (REI) fleece pullover (about anywhere) and the toughie is good rain gear, hard to find decent stuff in tyke sizes, but get the best you can find and use a silnylon poncho in their pack, if it really comes down you can hunker down inside one of those including your pack and rifle and stay pretty dang dry and warm. Add a few chem pax and she'll be golden.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
How old is your daughter and what size(s) do you need for clothes & boots? Not sure I can help as our daughter is 12 and I'm guessing may be wearing the same sizes, but I will look to see what we have. I agree with your thoughts on getting good gear to make sure they are comfortable and enjoy the experience.

Great to see another young lady joining the hunting ranks and wish all of you many memorable days in the field together!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
M
Mac7 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for all the info so far please keep it coming if you have ideas.

Proud Dad: Wife says a size 8 youth in pants but 10-12 youth in jacket size. Wearing a 2-3 youth size boot.

Last edited by Mac7; 07/23/15.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mac7
Thanks for all the info so far please keep it coming if you have ideas.

Proud Dad: Wife says a size 8 youth in pants but 10-12 youth in jacket size. Wearing a 2-3 youth size boot.

I will check to see what we have and get back with you.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
hard to believe that we used to just wear blue jeans and flannel shirts. smile

Sam......

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
hard to believe that we used to just wear blue jeans and flannel shirts. smile

Some of us still do wink

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Johnson woolen mills in Vermont makes wool hunting clothing for children. Top quality and made right there in Johnson, Vermont. Not cheap, but you'll have no problem re-selling, after your daughter outgrows it. Check out their website.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
good quality ski/snowboard shop will have the right sizes and the right stuff from sox and underwear to outerware. Cold kids just want to go home. A daypack that fits will allow kids to layer and be independent, add a head lamp and firestarter kit to teach good habits. Have fun, kids make great hunting partners.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got two sons through their careers as Yute hunters, and let me give you some tips.

1) wingsupply.com usually has gobs of kids stuff.

2) You can buy war-surplus BDU shirts and use them to cover up a non-camo coat.

3) Ponchos are easy to make from camo yard goods. Get a couple of yards of your favorite camo and cut a diamond-shaped hole in the middle and VIOLA! (how did she get in here?). I used to a hunter orange one on a kid and not care what else he was wearing. Ponchos are great because they are not sensitive to size changes. They break up the human form, and they can be used in a variety of ways. My favorite was worn belted with a fanny pack.

4) Poly-Pro Fleece in any form works great as an under-layer. You can get pajama's , etc. for kids much easier than long johns.

5) School coats can be turned into hunting coats easily. Just get them a week ahead of the hunt and wash them in baking soda and then pack them in baking soda so they don't carry scent.

6) Footwear can be a problem. However, rubber overshoes over sneakers can do for a couple days of Yute season.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Cabela's has a 4-Way Parka that I have purchased for my grandkids and it works great. Has dry-plus so in water proof (well as waterproof as vortex is) and the Parka can be worn alone or with the reversible insulated liner, or just the liner itself. I can highly recommend it. I will be purchasing a new one for my granddaughter next week when I am in Cabelas.

I have not found good pants for kids, and my grandchildren have used Carhartt jeans or bibs. My understanding is that Helley Hanson now makes rain gear for kids, so it may work to purchase a pair of rain pants to wear over the Carhartts if wet during wet weather.

As for boots there is no getting around the problem of them outgrowing them in one season. Hopefully you can hand them down to some other kid. My grandchildren are all ages and sizes and they have been able to do that.

you bring up a very valid point. I never skimped on quality gear for the kids, though the oldest being a girl (tomboy) she didn't get much pink stuff. Have been able to pass down hand me downs to siblings ( 2 brothers)

but one of the great joys of having kids outgrow good gear is identifying a good kid that their folks budget is stretched pretty tight.

you just have to love gear that you pay for once and makes you happy twice

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
M
Mac7 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for all the ideas and advice. I will get her the best I can afford and then her sisters will get to use it after she outgrows it.

She drew an ok late mule deer buck tag with a chance at shooting a big one. But I told her she can pick out the buck she wants. Though the area I'm looking at isn't an easy hike into. So I want to make sure I have her as comfortable as possible. I don't care if she shoots a 2pt or big 4pt as long as she's happy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,410
Posts18,470,373
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.