Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Pioneer Day marks the day in 1847 the Mormons arrived in what would become Salt Lake City. (They conveniently forget that there were Catholic missions here before that.) Anyway, the entire state is closed today, there are huge parades in which every Mormon ward, stakehouse, temple, chapel, and Boy Scout troop have floats. There are huge rodeos as well. This is also the July day when more fireworks are sold and lighted than even the Fourth.

I don't know of any other state that so officially honors a single religion. Is there?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you hate living there, why stay?

When I lived in Germany there was Faschings. Which is a huge pre-lent party every year. I didn't feel the need to denigrate all those Catholics and Lutherans that participated.

There are 49 other states to choose from. I personally would never live in Utah.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
How did you gather I hate living here? I merely described to those unaware of it what today is to most Mormons and ask if any other state has something similar.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know of any other state that so officially honors a single religion. Is there?

I think Michigan and Minnesota celebrate Ramadan. laugh

Sam......

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
dammmmm
Utah pedophile day

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Rocky, I am pretty sure all 50 states take December 25th off as a holiday. grin

BTW, it is likely my ancestors were there in 1847 when they arrived in what became Salt Lake City. wink

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Somehow, Christmas no longer seems to celebrated as a religious holiday, and even it it were it isn't dedicated to a single religion.

The same goes for Mardi Gras, which is tied to the beginning of Lent (Catholic) but seems to be more a celebration of debauchery than religion. Voodoo is a big part of it, as well. And even though its practitioners celebrate Voodoo as a religion, Louisiana doesn't come out and say Mardi Gras is a Voodoo - or Catholic - holiday.

So I still can't think of a single state-sponsored religious holiday like Utah has.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
So I still can't think of a single state-sponsored religious holiday like Utah has.
Does the state government let their employees off for it? Do businesses?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do the Mormons celebrate the Mountain Meadows Massacre?

The Mountain Meadows Massacre was the killing of roughly 120 emigrants who were passing through Southern Utah in September 1857. The massacre occurred on September 11, 1857. The emigrants–men, women, and children–were traveling from Arkansas to California, part of the Baker-Fancher wagon train. They were killed by a group of Mormons with the help of local Paiute Indians.

LOL
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I was just gong to mention the Meadow Massacre but you beat me to it A few weeks ago a couple of Missionaries stopped by here and when I asked them about the Massacre, they acted like they had never heard of such a thing. I told them to Google it!

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
St. Patrick's Day in New York.

The run-up to Lent in Louisiana.

Last edited by denton; 07/24/15.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
St Pat's Day might be close, but I think it's more of a Boston city event than a whole Massachusetts event. I already spoke about Mardi Gras above.

Ricky: Yes, many businesses are closed today, and all state offices are.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2

The Mountain Meadows Massacre was the killing of roughly 120 emigrants who were passing through Southern Utah in September 1857. The massacre occurred on September 11, 1857. The emigrants–men, women, and children–were traveling from Arkansas to California, part of the Baker-Fancher wagon train. They were killed by a group of Mormons with the help of local Paiute Indians.

I'm a good ol Mormon boy and that is a pretty ignorant question coming from a so called Christian man....... To answer your idiotic question NO

Do the Catholics celebrate the killing of native Americans???

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It was flat out murder on a broad scale, no doubt about it.

But Christianity (for example) doesn't have a blood-free history either. Plenty of atrocities have been committed by people in the name of different religions. The Muslims nowadays stand out among all others regarding this.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

State Beverage Stores are even closed today ........OMG cry

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers

It was flat out murder on a broad scale, no doubt about it.

But Christianity (for example) doesn't have a blood-free history either. Plenty of atrocities have been committed by people in the name of different religions.

Do "christians" celebrate the Haun's Mill massacre, the Missouri "Extermination Order" (which stood for nearly 140 years), the "Warsaw/Nauvoo wolf hunts", and all the other "expeditions" launched against Mormons for the purpose of killing them or driving them away?

"Christians" may not want to start casting stones against others for violence committed against women and children in the U.S.; just a thought.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The biggest problem was that the mormons told the pioneers to "Give us your guns and TRUST US and we will give everything back when you get past our territory". That is when the Mormans turned the indians loose on the "Trusting Pioneers" and were slaughtered. Hence the term "Never trust a Mormon".

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys, let's not turn my innocent question into a pizzing contest or an anti-religion diatribe. If that stuff continues, I'll delete the thread.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Opening day of deer season is a high religious holiday as well.

Be not weary in well doing.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by denton
Opening day of deer season is a high religious holiday as well.
As well it should be. smile

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (Akhutr, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.