Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The only place it seems where 7lb magnum benchrest guns don't exist.... is on the range....

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The only place it seems where 7lb magnum benchrest guns don't exist.... is on the range....

Probably need to get out in the field to see them. Sheep hunting in two weeks....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bearstalker

Probably need to get out in the field to see them. Sheep hunting in two weeks....

Same here....though I think I am just letting my wife pack her rifle as she is first shooter anyways and I can use hers just fine. wink That way I can pack the spotter and tripod which weigh well more than the rifle to keep it fair. smile

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Safe to say I've seen more than one Montana and climbed more than one mountain, however have yet to see a .5moa 300WM Montana (or any bigger than 6mm).

Big difference between "this one time at band camp" three rounds landed close together, and here's a half inch dot at 100 yards- here's one round.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The BR people are soon to catch on and wont be buying barrels from the current fad of the year makers. They will be offering big dollars here for rifles and taking the barrels off to put on their BR rifles.

May even be a couple bidding wars that will make for some interesting threads.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Safe to say I've seen more than one Montana and climbed more than one mountain, however have yet to see a .5moa 300WM Montana (or any bigger than 6mm).

Big difference between "this one time at band camp" three rounds landed close together, and here's a half inch dot at 100 yards- here's one round.

How about 200 yards?

7WSM, nine rounds playing with 162 Amax and RL26, 2.7 grains difference between round 1 and round 9, fired the same day I took the new 223 to the range, that sucks compared to the 7 and 308.

Edit for the blind: .575", 1.480", .874"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126363598N07/19814182960/sizes/o/

[Linked Image]

Dave

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i think I've answered on other threads but here goes. I'm in the midst of Kimber roulette.

I spent 4 years with my first Montana, a .308, before finally giving up. It just simply would not keep any load under 2 MOA. It's down the road.

After a short wait I bought another in .257 Roberts, then realized I still had some money, and bought a third in .280AI. I'm still working with those. Both hint at potential but neither has delivered yet. Both appear to be more accurate than that .308 but that's damnation by faint praise. At the moment I'm stymied with both because the bullets I want to test next are unavailable.

... and deer season is coming.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought my 308 specifically as a donor, it shoots okay, better than the 223 but not as good as the 7. The 223 I bought from SAS hoping it would shoot the 75 Amax but if not the BTHP, and it won't shoot anything consistently less than 1 MOA at 200 so I ordered a barrel yesterday.

The way I look at it, if a Montana won't shoot I have the lightest SS CRF action and a damn good stock for approximately the same price as a 70 or 700 SS action and a Mickey Edge...and no wait on the stock.

Dave

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RDW
I bought my 308 specifically as a donor, it shoots okay, better than the 223 but not as good as the 7. The 223 I bought from SAS hoping it would shoot the 75 Amax but if not the BTHP, and it won't shoot anything consistently less than 1 MOA at 200 so I ordered a barrel yesterday.

The way I look at it, if a Montana won't shoot I have the lightest SS CRF action and a damn good stock for approximately the same price as a 70 or 700 SS action and a Mickey Edge...and no wait on the stock.

What barrels do you like for the Montana, and are you having them install the barrel or someone else?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot my Kimber 270 WSM Montana yesterday at 200 yds and it stayed sighted right on and put two 150 gr SST's into 1.5" over RL22 with WLRM primers.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by RDW

What barrels do you like for the Montana, and are you having them install the barrel or someone else?

I ordered both from Lilja, they estimated my 6.5 will arrive the end of next month, I plan to send the 308 to IT&D, most likely the 223 but don't expect the barrel until the end of October.

Dave

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
RDW,

Looks like the 3 rounds groups average .46 MOA and some change. Ok, here's a 1 inch dot at 200 yards will you keep all 9 rounds inside of it on demand?

Again BIG difference from 3 rounds landing close together from random chance, and ALL rounds landing close together. One is useful from a practical aspect and one is useful to BS on the Internet.

Here is an example. These are from a Tikka SL in 223. Trying to find a load for the finicky Sierra 77gr TMK's. I have over 100 rounds with that bullet and 2000MR powder in 10 round groups. Every one of those shots has been logged and measured. Currently it averages at around .48 MOA for 3 rounds for all of those 100 shots. Sounds great right? Well it averages a touch less than 1.5moa for 10 round groups. The reason is clear when you track where each round impacts at. Yes, 3 rounds are tight but the center of those three rounds shift on the target. The reason is due to chance. Guns don't fire through one hole, they fire in a cone.

This group for instance-

First three-
[Linked Image]

All 10 numbered-

[Linked Image]

Results-

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDW

This is exactly the way I look at it. The Montana is a bargain comparatively. My 8 twist .223AI is simply a bad ass package and my stock .243 will be an 8 twist Ackley as soon as I burn out the factory tube. Can't wait. If Kimber charged $300 more and put on a good tube in the right twist it'd turn this place on its ear.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Any way you can ditch the sniper mentality? We're talking hunting rifles here.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by RDW

This is exactly the way I look at it. The Montana is a bargain comparatively. My 8 twist .223AI is simply a bad ass package and my stock .243 will be an 8 twist Ackley as soon as I burn out the factory tube. Can't wait. If Kimber charged $300 more and put on a good tube in the right twist it'd turn this place on its ear.

Agreed.

David

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

So am I. My first response was to people that I are claiming near bench rest gun accuracy from 7lb magnum Kimbers.

Reality isn't for everybody.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by RDW

Agreed.

David

When you spend a lot of money and get fuc#ed this way of thinking also makes your butt feel better. grin

Last edited by 28lx; 07/25/15.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Still working. It HATES jumping 162's... Had every one of the "Kimber problems". The dummy cartridge showing a kiss looks...... Interesting...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

That makes perfect sense to me here in Retardsville.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (16gage, 160user, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,427
Posts18,470,733
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.