Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#10207070 07/28/15
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
On my way to work this morning I got lit up by one of our local guys,
I pulled into a parking lot, and he came up to my window, I immediately handed him my drivers licences and Concealed weapon permit, and I said "I am carrying a firearm" and he replied "Everybody should", and asked for my insurance, as I was digging for my insurance he went to his car with my DL came back up to the truck, I showed him my insurance and he gave me a verbal warning for speeding.

I bring this up because, every time I've been stopped in Montana(and there have been a few times) the officer has never asked to check my weapon, or anything,
where as when I was in Wyoming, they always made a huge deal out of it, at one point holding me with a taser drawn. Once I had on Wyoming HP take apart my gun and refuse to return my ammo.
Why is there such a difference in the way Mt law enforcement does this vs. Wyoming?

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Training?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A couple of years ago I was stopped in WA for a burned out break light. I handed the state officer my DL and CCL. He asked me if I was carrying and I said yes. He asked where and I told him right hip. His reply was thanks, lets leave it there and went on with why he stopped me. Nothing written on paper, just a friendly heads up. That is the way things should work.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm surprised Wyoming would be like that...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lanolin is the difference.

Sheep fur has lanolin which acts as both a lubricant and a topical calming agent. When the Montana cops have their way with the sheep lanolin from the fur acts as a lubricant to make the experience more pleasant for cop and sheep but also rubs off on the Montana cops and helps keeps them calm for hours or even days.

Cows do not have this lanolin so when the Wyoming cops and cows get together there is no such lubrication nor calming effect. In fact, the lack of lube makes the experience unpleasant for cow and cop which tends to aggravate both, and this is exacerbated by the lack of any calming agent.

If you could get more Wyoming cops to appreciate the benefits of boinking sheep instead of cattle, they would be more like Montana cops. Of course the old anti-sheep cowboy traditions run deep in Wyoming so that might be an uphill battle.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
That's baaaaaaaaddddd!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes it is but it got a laugh out of me.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was up in MT this spring and got clocked doing 88 in a 70 mph zone. The trooper just gave me a warning because he said I had a cool hat. "Noveske." There was also the 4 cased rifles on the back seat......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Years ago, when I still lived in the middle-of-nowhere eastern Montana, I got pulled over by a highway patrolman. I had 3 or 4 rifles laying on the passenger seat and a couple sidearms. Patrolman never even flinched when he walked up and saw all the firearms. Talked a bit and got a warning when I had been speeding at more than 15 over.

I was pulled over on 90 a month ago by a female highway patrolman. I told her right away I was carrying. No problem. Came back with a warning and a thanks for informing her.

I could go on and on but I've never been given a hard time by a cop when carrying. I even had a Wyoming highway patrolman allow me into his car while armed and left me in there long enough that I fell asleep. Long story, but I was 1st on scene of an accident and was staying around to assist family in the accident to get their belongings to the next town where they were going to have to hole up.

Montana MOFO
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Freedom?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Couple years ago I got stopped in Montana for doing 94 in a 75. The cop asked me where I was going in such a hurry. I replied that I was going bird hunting in Wisconsin and only had two days to get there. He took my license, registration and insurance cards back to his car and ran me. When he came back he handed me a $20 ticket and told me to have a nice hunt. Didn't seem like he gave a rat's ass about any firearms that I might have in the car.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think I want to live in Montana!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy

Why is there such a difference in the way Mt law enforcement does this vs. Wyoming?

Be my guess that most are imported and bring their sorry attitudes with them. I'd bet that dang few are native. Same goes for the locals.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kind of doubt any of these stories and there doesn't seem to be any video proof of any police supporting civilians having anywhere close to the same firearms privileges that police do. What we do have proof of is:

and the fact police would not have been stopped in the first place.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 70 invisible), 3,290 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,484
Posts18,471,837
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.