Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been fighting a massive algea bloom in my freshwater 40 gallon aquarium for a year and a half in a tank I've had running for 15 years. I used chemicals, I changed the water, changed the gravel, killed the fish, restarted, changed the filter system and the damned stuff kept coming back.

Finally, I recall that sometime ago I had changed the light!!!! Changed the bulb again and all is now calm and peaceful. Seems it had a bulb for aquariums plants, and man o man did it grow the algae. There's a tip for any freshwater aquarium buffs.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
laugh

I keep half the lights on my 75 gallon aquarium shut off. wink

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife and I keep freshwater planted aquariums... one of the key steps to doing so is to plant a BUNCH of plants during the initial set up... that way they absorb the nutrients in the water before algae can gain the advantage...

Lots of cool planted tank photos here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pGallery.php

Last edited by 2ndwind; 07/28/15.

Please don't feed the trolls!
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was gonna suggest what you already posted. Sitting close to a window or door can do the same thing.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have some friends who solved their algae problem by leaving the tank empty and and using thin fishing line to hang very lifelike plastic fish in it. Unless you notice that they don't move, it looks very real, much better than it sounds.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only way to kill it all period is to black the tank out for a week or 2. Cover so absolutely no light gets to it. Algae is a plant and plants die with no sunlight. It's the only guaranteed method. My father and I used to be huge into freshwater aquariums. Please don't go crazy with chemicals it's super hard on the fish. Also the light is a huge factor too. it's been awhile since i looked but there are many many types of bulbs and u may have one that promotes plant life.

Good guide for lighting:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=414

How to black your tank out:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/how-to-properly-black-out-a-tank.213369/

Last edited by k20350; 07/28/15.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the links. Good stuff.

I changed the water and the bulb three weeks ago and all is good. Really drove me crazy for a while. I blacked out the tank for a week and as soon as I uncovered it -boom!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 257 mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 16 invisible), 1,722 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.