Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Shodd
It is non less than amazing at the number of, excuse me if you will, ignorant, educated, and lettered men whom consider the slaughter of brothers and the pronouncement of fellow Christians to be enemies both heroic and honorable.

I fear deeply that there is less than even a degree of worthiness or decency in this line of thinking.

Cowards is the fitting word to describe Christians killing Christians.

Shod

I find it amazing that you struggle to see the forest for the trees in the way. There was nothing cowardly about the overall conduct of the men on either side of the conflict. To imply that they were cowards is wrong and very disrespectful. That is some off the chart arm chair quarterbacking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
We also have the advantage of stories passed down through our families that lived it.

I doubt you're willing to spend the time, but in what ways does anything I said here conflict with those stories?

Birdwatcher

You are completely fixated upon slavery and saving the union we were just in leaving. I can't say anything that will change your mind or you mine. My family didn't own slaves and answered VA's call to arms in response to Lincoln's planned invasion of the South. The stories of our sacrifices will be kept among friends and family. Only one in my family got through war unscarred. 4 dead, 3 POWs, a leg blown off at Chicamauga on another.

Here is a link on the 54th VA
http://54th.va.inf.8m.com/

Thank you for that.

Well, Holy schit. Marc might have actually shut the SOB up. Let's continue with a bit more of this; here's my ancestry on the same:

Enlisted in Company E, Virginia 51st Infantry Regiment on 01 Jul 1861.Promoted to Full Corporal on 01 Jan 1863. Promoted to Full Sergeant on 01 Mar 1865.

Enlisted, Private, 2nd Virginia Cavalry, Company H, May 1861; paroled after surrender July 19, 1985

Private, Company H, 36th VA Infantry, enlisted 1 Feb 1862; Discharged from the 24th VA Infantry, April 12, 1865.

Private, Company A, 44th VA Infantry, enlisted 21 Oct 1861; Mustered out 27 Mar 1862 on transfer to 20th VA Heavy Artillery Battalion; Paroled after surrender on 19 July 1865.

Enlisted in Company G, Virginia 19th Infantry Regiment on 01 May 1861.Promoted to Full Corporal on 15 Feb 1862.Promoted to Full 4th Sergeant on 15 Apr 1862.Promoted to Full 3rd Sergeant on 15 Jun 1862.Promoted to Full 2nd Sergeant on 15 Aug 1863. Captured at Gettysburg on July 3, 1863, imprisoned at Fort Delaware; diary in the family with a copy in a museum dedicated to the War. The diary is one Hell of a read and has been cited numerous times for PhD dissertations and other scholarly works.

Enlisted, private, Company E, 1st VA Cavalry Regiment, July 24, 1861. Discharged April 12, 1865.

Enlisted, private, Company E, 1st VA Cavalry Regiment, January 4, 1864. Discharged April 12, 1865

Enlisted, private, Company E, 1st VA Cavalry Regiment, July 24, 1861. KIA Spotyslvania Courthouse, May 11, 1864 (served with his two brothers listed directly above him; KIA with them in a battle they both survived).

Enlisted, private, Company G, Virginia 19th Infantry Regiment on 01 May 1861. Mustered out on 18 Nov 1862 due to loss of a leg and illness.

Not a single damned slave owner, and every one of them enlisted after Virginia seceded in order to stave off an invading army.

Oh, and one of those listed above was a "white" Cherokee that had escaped Jackson's pogroms as a child (his family and the family of his later wife came to SW VA and passed themselves off as "white").

19th VA Infantry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19th_Virginia_Infantry

1st VA Cavalry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Virginia_Cavalry

20th Virginia Heavy Artillery: https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/20th_Battalion,_Virginia_Heavy_Artillery_%28Confederate%29

24th Virginia Infantry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24th_Virginia_Infantry

2nd Virginia Cavalry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_Virginia_Cavalry

51st Virginia Infantry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/51st_Virginia_Infantry

Well since you did bring up my wife.....

My wife's father's roots go back in Tejas since before the 19th Century, vaqueros y Indios both, so I dunno its correct to call her "Mexican" in the sense you are using it here. Worth mentioning too that her dad was career Military.

Her mother witnessed the Bataan Death March as a little girl, before spending the rest of the war hiding in the jungle while her father fought with the guerrillas. So that part certainly ain't Mexican neither.

I am confused how drug dealing and prostitution in present day Texas relate at all to the contents of this thread.

But hey, I have reason to be proud of my efforts here over the last thirty years, or so many others have told me. I have been exceedingly fortunate that way.

Birdwatcher

WHAT?!?!?

You mean that all Mexicans can't be painted with a brush of drug running, prostitution, slavery, and violence even though Mexico today damned near defines that? You mean that, perhaps, it isn't accurate? Say it isn't so? Maybe, just maybe, schit's a little "too complicated" for that, eh?

I am quite certain your wife's history of her own family as being Mexican and what that means flies in the face of some idiotic blanket statements that try to simply her history. Facts often do that. Perhaps even you can get the hint, though I doubt it.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Were the "White Cherokees" the group that ended up in the county over by me?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep.

And, here's the other kick. The CBF NEVER flew over an army that conducted that genocide. The CBF NEVER flew as a national flag that flew over a slave nation. The CBF NEVER flew from the mast of a slave trading ship. The flag that did that was "Old Glory". Where's the moral outrage at that?

Oh, and as to the "well, the CBF has been used by Neo-Nazis and the KKK", so too has the Stars & Stripes, and far more prevalently and appropriately so. Where's that discussion? Where are the calls to have THAT flag torn down due to the history of oppression and genocide committed under THAT banner?

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
It is non less than amazing at the number of, excuse me if you will, ignorant, educated, and lettered men whom consider the slaughter of brothers and the pronouncement of fellow Christians to be enemies both heroic and honorable.

I fear deeply that there is less than even a degree of worthiness or decency in this line of thinking.

Shod

I find it amazing that you struggle to see the forest for the trees in the way. There was nothing cowardly about the overall conduct of the men on either side of the conflict. To imply that they were cowards is wrong and very disrespectful. That is some off the chart arm chair quarterbacking.

It amazes me that you fail to look beyond both the forest and the Trees through the impending dessert and to the next mountain.

To stand for Country and to kill a fellow Brother does require a certain bravery.

To stand for God in the midst of Government pressure and threats required Bravery and Integrity.

The threat of treason by a nation is immediate.

The threat of God to not kill your brother is a buck that can be passed down the road and eliminates the immediate threat of death.

Jesus rightfully stated.......Many will save there life to lose it and some will lose there life to save it.

The apostle Paul also rightly stated.

We have a wrestling against the Governmental authorities and wicked spirits. Paul also stated that we must Obey God as ruler rather than Men!

Killing a Christian Brother Brave......I'll concede to that line of thinking. Killing a Brother Heroic......I beg to differ.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Shod

It amazes me that you fail to look beyond both the forest and the Trees through the impending dessert and to the next mountain.

To stand for Country and to kill a fellow Brother does require a certain bravery.

To stand for God in the midst of Government pressure and threats required Bravery and Integrity.

The threat of treason by a nation is immediate.

The threat of God to not kill your brother is a buck that can be passed down the road and eliminates the immediate threat of death.

Jesus rightfully stated.......Many will save there life to lose it and some will lose there life to save it.

The apostle Paul also rightly stated.

We have a wrestling against the Governmental authorities and wicked spirits. Paul also stated that we must Obey God as ruler rather than Men!

Killing a Christian Brother Brave......I'll concede to that line of thinking. Killing a Brother Heroic......I beg to differ.

Shod

If you're in line, across the board, with being a Conscientious Objector, in the mood or faith of the Mennonites or Quakers, then your position is unassailable.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
4Ager,

Not a Mennanite or Quaker. As far as a position being unassailable or assailable do you mean from mans point of view or from Gods.

From the bibles point of veiw as in what is penned down in the book my position is assailable.

If one is agnostic and argues from an agnostic view them my view point is unassailable

If one is Christian yet argues a point based on how they feel rather than what the bible states or Gods point of view than such an argument would be unassailable according to God

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 07/28/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Picking and choosing which battles to fight based upon what your opponent may or may not believe is impossible. A man simply could not know if a Christian were facing him or not. Thus, my statement.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 4ager
Picking and choosing which battles to fight based upon what your opponent may or may not believe is impossible. A man simply could not know if a Christian were facing him or not. Thus, my statement.

I respect your veiwpoint.

In the case of the Civil war nearly 10 out of 10 people you would have been shooting at were Professed Christian

My point is simply that those men were misled by false Religious teachers and of course many will have an opportunity to acquire true facts on the matter when they are ressurected and given an opportunity at the real life.

For now I'll happily not kill my brother. I remember a friend of mine witnessing to a woman who made the statement. My son was a Christian and died during world war 2 and I do not appreciate you people who refuse to go to war.

My friends answer......your son may have died at the hand of a Catholic or Protestant or perhaps a brother of another faith however I can assure you that you did not lose your son on account of one of us.

I suppose it comes down to questioning if a governmental authority whom Paul stated we have a wrestling against along with wicked spirits is actively fallen from Gods graces when they send brothers to battle one another.

Generally speaking a sure indicator is Sodom and Gamora type behavior such as homosexuality being rampant. Perhaps even legal in all 50 states.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 07/28/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No disagreement on those odds. They would have been close to that in the Revolution, the Tejas Secession, the Mexican-American war(s), the Spanish-American War, WWI, and in the European theatre (at least) of WWII, just for starters.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 4ager
No disagreement on those odds. They would have been close to that in the Revolution, the Tejas Secession, the Mexican-American war(s), the Spanish-American War, WWI, and in the European theatre (at least) of WWII
, just for starters.

I appreciate the discussion this morning friend. Hope you have a great day. grin

Shod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's been a good one (try to remember that any day above ground is a good one). The same to you; carpe diem!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would the Black folks killed in that churchouse have been justified in taking out the shooter with their bare hands rather than submitting like sheep to the slaughter?

If they had done that, would we even be talking about the CBF?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Would the Black folks killed in that churchouse have been justified in taking out the shooter with their bare hands rather than submitting like sheep to the slaughter?

I wish they would have. That little POS would be dead and several of those good people would still be with us.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570

No, we would have been talking about how those federal gun purchase laws were followed and how well they work.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ou mean that all Mexicans can't be painted with a brush

Nothing I have said contradicts your family history.

Find a single statement where I have painted anyone with anything.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,928
Posts18,498,623
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.