Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

About time someone filled that void.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015...-roll/?intcmp=hpffo&intcmp=obnetwork

GM has dropped the deets on its new diesel pickups.

The Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon will be available this fall with a new 2.8-liter 4-cylinder turbodiesel that’ll cost $3,730 more than equivalent trucks with V6 gasoline engines.

At starting prices of $31,700 and $33,200, respectively, the diesels will deliver 181 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque that’s good for a max tow rating of 7,700 pounds in two-wheel-drive trucks, up from 7,000 for the V6.

The diesels are available only in Crew Cab configurations. They come with a six-speed automatic fitted with a centrifugal pendulum vibration absorber to reduce engine vibration and an exhaust braking system what works with both the cruise control on downhill stretches and with the pedal. A trailering package with hitch and 7-pin connector, electronic locking rear differential and two-speed transfer case on four-wheel-drive models are all standard equipment.

One thing that’s yet to be announced is fuel economy, but GM says it will beat the current gasoline four-cylinder’s top rating of 27 mpg. The most fuel efficient pickup on sale today is the larger Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, which gets 29 mpg highway and has a base price of $38,395.

- Rogue

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm betting people will be seeing 32 HWY with both the two and four wheel drives on these.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure I'd want to tow 7700 lbs. with that size of truck, regardless of what GM says. I give GM major props for selling a small(ish) diesel truck here and hope it does well. I really hope it will spur Ford and Toyota to bring theirs stateside.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it would be any different then towing 20,000 behind a fullsized truck. i think its asking for trouble towing anything over 10,000 with fullsized trucks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A friend of mine is looking to get one this fall. Sounds like a nice little truck.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
I really hope it will spur Ford and Toyota to bring theirs stateside.

Toyota has been resting on their laurels. They need to reintroduce the first generation Tacoma's.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
N I really hope it will spur Ford and Toyota to bring theirs stateside.

You're kiddin' right? It's GM's owners that are keeping the small diesels out.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never buy the 1st year ...anything.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Toyota small truck diesel has been the global standard for decades and can't be imported here because of the PRK/EPA "smog" standards.

Now, you can buy a HiLux crate motor and have it dropped into a vehicle, but you can't buy a new HiLux truck from Toyota here in the States.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Not sure I'd want to tow 7700 lbs. with that size of truck, regardless of what GM says. I give GM major props for selling a small(ish) diesel truck here and hope it does well. I really hope it will spur Ford and Toyota to bring theirs stateside.

They're about the size of the current Tacoma's so id say it could probably handle it for short trips.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager
The Toyota small truck diesel has been the global standard for decades and can't be imported here because of the PRK/EPA "smog" standards.

Now, you can buy a HiLux crate motor and have it dropped into a vehicle, but you can't buy a new HiLux truck from Toyota here in the States.

Right. The people that own GM, own the EPA also.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The PRK created smog rules in the 70s and early 80s specifically to prevent diesels from being able to pass their standards. EPA essentially adopted the antiquated and intentionally biased PRK standards. Toyota basically said "f'k it" to changing their extremely popular, globally accepted, and stone-ax reliable diesel. Those two decisions have put American truck owners behind the 8-ball for decades.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I really hope it will spur Ford and Toyota to bring theirs stateside.

Pffffffttttt... You think Toyota is the one keeping them out?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The PRK created smog rules in the 70s and early 80s specifically to prevent diesels from being able to pass their standards. EPA essentially adopted the antiquated and intentionally biased PRK standards. Toyota basically said "f'k it" to changing their extremely popular, globally accepted, and stone-ax reliable diesel. Those two decisions have put American truck owners behind the 8-ball for decades.

Exactly.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

Exactly.

Travis

Fact. A tough-as-nails 4x4 with a million mile engine sounds like kryptonite to an industry that survives by engineering vehicles to break at the right time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That anti-vibe feature sounds like a wait and see for me.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't foresee a diesel powered Colorado going into the history books as anything but a ginormous POS. Especially given the timeframe it's being released in.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 4 cylinder oil burner is going to vibrate. If people can't deal with it, they shouldn't buy it.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
That anti-vibe feature sounds like a wait and see for me.

Quad four engine used a balance shaft...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

They're about the size of the current Tacoma's so id say it could probably handle it for short trips.

IMHO it's best to keep your tow weight at 80% or less of the rated load.

Now a 1/2 ton or taco size truck with a diesel that can get ~30 mpg empty and stay over 20 mpg with a 4-5k load would be a great truck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.