Hop To
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I'm very interested in getting a LAW Closer or Professional but can't locate any actually for sale. Does anyone know if they are actually available, or when they will be?

Yesu ai zhongguo
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whittaker's in KY ought to be able to hook you up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks.
I also posted on Ask the Gunwriters so probably should refer future comments to that Forum

Yesu ai zhongguo
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They are available. I handled a professional earlier this week at my local Sportsmans Warehouse.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
They are available. I handled a professional earlier this week at my local Sportsmans Warehouse.

What did you think of them ?

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
From a previous post of mine:
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
Was just at my local Sportsmans Warehouse, and they have a professional in stock for 1599 in 300 win mag. Here are my impressions:
Overall fit seemed very nice. The only flaw I saw was in the fit between the pad and the stock. The pad is not a grind to fit, so it doesn't fit the stock perfectly. Very close, but not perfect. It is glued to the stock. Stock paint was nice. I've worked I a number of Bansners, and this one was finished well. Fit to the action was very nice, and the barrel was nicely centered into the inlet. Cerakote was even, and well executed.
The action was much tighter than a factory rifle. The bolt run was a little rough, but likely due to the cerakote on the action. This is typical of all newly cerakoted actions I have handled. The bolt timing and primary extraction seemed well executed.
The bottom metal to stock fit was nice, and the bottom metal was really nice. Oberndorf release tha was very positive- a lot like a badger M4.
If the closer is similar, I will own one. It's a heck of a lot of rifle for the price.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'll 2nd what Darren said. Also just fondled one last week for a 2nd time. Also a 300 Mag, the example at my Sportsmans overall was a really nicely balanced rifle. Fit & finish was 1st rate, the action was darn slick. I could own one of these in a short action and be happy to hunt with it.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anyone know the mag box length of the short actions?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2.85"

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks. Was hoping they did a 3".

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Thanks. Was hoping they did a 3".

Why, to match their slow twists......

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
No man...looking for good things that will work when I rebarrel it.... Just joking. It looks like they went to a 1/9 with their .243. Would prefer a 1/8 but could live with the 9.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd guess 98% of hunters don't give a rip about twist or mag box length but I could be wrong. I'd like to see it a bit longer myself, but not a deal killer.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If 98% don't care and there's no downside to a faster twist, shorter throat and/or longer box, why not do it that way?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
If 98% don't care and there's no downside to a faster twist, shorter throat and/or longer box, why not do it that way?

John

Great point.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

John

Maybe you can ask Ed Brown, or Bansner?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by JGRaider

John

Maybe you can ask Ed Brown, or Bansner?

I'd guess 98% of hunters don't give a rip about twist or mag box length but I could be wrong. I'd like to see it a bit longer myself, but not a deal killer.

You're the one that made the statement. That's why I was asking you.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I figure Bansner, Brown, etc know way more about it than 99.9% of the people here that always bitch and moan about twist rates. Nosler did the same thing with the Patriot, and speaking specifically about the short action 7mm08, it's extremely accurate.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I figure Bansner, Brown, etc know way more about it than 99.9% of the people here that always bitch and moan about twist rates. Nosler did the same thing with the Patriot, and speaking specifically about the short action 7mm08, it's extremely accurate.

I'm guessing you are right, in that they likely know more than you.

[bleep], there are more than a few Nosler bullets that you can't shoot in Nosler rifles. That's marketing brilliance.

There is NO downside to adding a 'little' twist, but the stupid never seem to understand that.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Once again, you have nothing to offer but your loud mouth. Business as usual. Nosler can't even keep up with demand for their rifles or bullets now, with the possible exception of the E-Tip.

When I start having trouble killing stuff, I'll holler at you since you've proven to be so good at it.

Last edited by JGRaider; 08/04/15.

G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
rec'd this message yesterday from LAW:

"Thanks for the inquiry. We just signed a new rep group to the Southeast, you should begin seeing new dealers in that area listed on our website soon.
In the mean-time, you can order from any dealer and have it shipped to your local FFL dealer.
Talley Rings are available from Talley; be sure to order them to fit the Nesika Bay receiver, which matches our scope base hole spacing. Otherwise, any Weaver or Picatinny ring will fit the bases that accompany the rifle.
Sincerely,
James Diehl
Production Manager"

Yesu ai zhongguo
G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks SKane: just bought one from Whittakers in KY, 308, someone bought one elsewhere and traded it in there, LN, 1299. Hope it's good and I don't end up wishing I'd got another cooper 54.

Yesu ai zhongguo
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm real interested in hearing what you think of that rifle garCH. Professional or Closer ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by garCH
Thanks SKane: just bought one from Whittakers in KY, 308, someone bought one elsewhere and traded it in there, LN, 1299. Hope it's good and I don't end up wishing I'd got another cooper 54.

I think I handled that one last time I was there. Pretty nice stick...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by garCH

It wasn't bought elsewhere and traded. It was my pre-production sample. You won't be disappointed. Had it been any other chambering, I would have never let it hit the shelf....

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How are the actions ? Smooth ? Well machined ?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They're exceptional rifles -- at least what I've seen.

The actions aren't silky smooth, but that's the Cerakote. I'm sure they'll polish in time. The fit, finish and machining is superb. Again, just my observation from what I've seen.

Lots of features of a full custom build at a portion of the price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks. If I get one, the CeraKote will be the first thing to go.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ordered a Professional in 280ai. Amazingly, turn around was only a few months. Received it in early July.

Pretty happy with it so far. Haven't had a chance to shoot it,due to work.

Tony

G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
will report how I like it after I shoot it.
Thanks for the background shortactionsmoker, reassuring.
it replaces a Weatherby Lightweight Sporter (not ultralight) in 308 that was stolen a couple weeks ago, along w my Tikka 695 in 300 WM and Dakota 76 in 270. i actually specifically wanted 308 and cerakote. fortunate to have found another 695 in 300 WM unfired; not going to replace Dakota which I got just over half price new in 1997 and with which I have shot a black bear and numerous deer. time for new memories I suppose.

Yesu ai zhongguo
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Got a chance to handle a LAW professional in 26 Nosler today at the LGS. As many have said, it appears to be a very well finished product. The main difference I could see, besides barrel fluting, removable muzzle break, 3 pos safety, etc, is that the stock has a slimmer wrist, and overall slimmer profile than the Nosler Patriot, which is also a very well finished rifle and great shooter. Bolts cycle very "slickly" in both as well.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by hicountry
I ordered a Professional in 280ai. Amazingly, turn around was only a few months. Received it in early July.

Pretty happy with it so far. Haven't had a chance to shoot it,due to work.

Tony

That's the exact setup I'm leaning toward. I've been debating between 280ai, 7RM, and 300WM. The 280 would be the most versatile for my needs.

G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
recd it today, LAW Closer in 308. I have a Conquest scope and Tikka rings coming so hope to shoot it next week. Certainly VERY pleased w fit and finish, trigger pull using snap cap, weight and balance, etc. Some ceracote rubbing off on bolt but I don't mind

Yesu ai zhongguo
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought the Professional in 280AI. The rifle looks awesome but sucks in the accuracy department. After seasoning I tried 4 different factory ammo from Nosler. Best group was 1.1 inch at 96 yards and the worst was 6 inches. Sent the rifle back due to major accuracy issues. The 1.1 inch group was 3 shots, the group after letting the barrel completely cool and shooting 2 more rounds was 3.2inches. I tried several different bullets and powders in reloading. The accuracy was still junk. I called Legendary and talked with JD. He stated that there is some stock issues with the 280AI and 300 Win. Mags that first went out early in production. He had me send back the rifle. They sent back the rifle and a test target. The test target with factory Nosler ammo was shot by Legendary after the fixed the issue and to verify accuracy of 1 inch or less with factory ammo per their guarantee. The test target showed 2 groups. The first was a group of 1.885 and the second a1.1inch. Even they couldn't get the to shot 1 inch or less. I call and they stated that they fixed the stock issue and for me to shoot the rifle. I shot took out the rifle with all Nosler factory Amos and some different hand loaded that I had already tried. Best 3 shot group at 96 yards was 1.229inch and the worst was 4.375 inch. The best 3 shot group turned into a 5 shot group of 2.992 at 96 yards. I talked to legendary today about the accuracy and my true disappointed. They want me to send it back again! I sold all of my rifles to buy this one and a G7 BR2 rangefinder for hunting. I was supposed to do a backcountry hunt Aug 30 through tomorrow the 4th. Well that didn't happen due to not having my rifle. My experience so far with these rifles and Legendary arms is not good at all so far. At this time I would not recommend them. Just my experience so far.
Brian

G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
My Closer in 308 is very accurate, maybe even .5 MOA so far in just 2 outings to the range, using hand loaded 150 grain sierra pro hunters or hornady interlocks over R15. did NOT like 165s. I am happy!

Yesu ai zhongguo
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Glad to hear your 308 in the closer is doing well for you. The guys have stated several times that the issue is with the stocks. This issue is with the 280AI and the 300 Win with serials of 400 or less. That is per 3 different guys at Legendary. After the stock was fixed and sent back to me. The accuracy was very inconsistent still. Still won't shoot under 1.100" at 96 yards with any ammo for a 3 shot and a 5 shot of 5" with group shift.. This is under perfect conditions at a bench. So it is going back again. This rifle is so inconsistent that I will not hunt with it. To hunt with it would just be so unethical. I could only trust it hitting its mark at less than 25 yards.
Brian

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by brianc74
Glad to hear your 308 in the closer is doing well for you. The guys have stated several times that the issue is with the stocks. This issue is with the 280AI and the 300 Win with serials of 400 or less. That is per 3 different guys at Legendary. After the stock was fixed and sent back to me. The accuracy was very inconsistent still. Still won't shoot under 1.100" at 96 yards with any ammo for a 3 shot and a 5 shot of 5" with group shift.. This is under perfect conditions at a bench. So it is going back again. This rifle is so inconsistent that I will not hunt with it. To hunt with it would just be so unethical. I could only trust it hitting its mark at less than 25 yards.
Brian

Whoa. I wasn't expecting that as a field report. You guys keep the reports coming.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by petr
Brian

Whoa. I wasn't expecting that as a field report. You guys keep the reports coming.

Anybody that would sell all their rifles to buy one from a new company for a backcountry hunt in the not too distant future can't be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Higbean,

Anybody that would sell all their rifles to buy one from a new company for a backcountry hunt in the not too distant future can't be the sharpest knife in the drawer

This contributes to the thread?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Higbean
Gl
Brian

Anybody that would sell all their rifles to buy one from a new company for a backcountry hunt in the not too distant future can't be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I see your point, but we all love new rifles and bansner has been rock solid in the past. I'd probably take this bet too. What rifle looney has not been impetuous?

Reports like this are better than a bunch of flowery fluff bs that often times is not truly deserved. So, it's worth weighing the report at least.

Can anyone hang pics?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
David Petzal has a blog over at F&S. About a month ago he did a review on the Professional. His experience mirrors Brianc74. He was able to get it to shoot submoa, but it wasn't a good time getting there.

I don't need a 7 Rem mag, but I want one. I've been trying to make a decision between a high end Sako A7 series, a Cooper, and the LAW Professional. I've had a Cooper, and regret letting it go. It's the most expensive option of the three, but I know it'll shoot when I get my hands on it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Higbean,

Anybody that would sell all their rifles to buy one from a new company for a backcountry hunt in the not too distant future can't be the sharpest knife in the drawer

This contributes to the thread?

Si Cabrón.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Higbean,

Originally Posted By Ringman
Higbean,

Quote:

Is this contributes to the thread?

Si Cabrón.

This is from a mature person or a young teenager?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Higbean,

Originally Posted By Ringman
Higbean,

Quote:

Is this contributes to the thread?

Si Cabrón.

This is from a mature person or a young teenager?

If calling you Cabrón is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you do not have something to add to the field report. Then just read and go on. If all you are going to do is make comments about the poster in this thread and nothing about the the actual thread titling. Then keep to your self and drive on.

For the people adding their experiences and knowledge about Legendary Arms Works. Keep it coming.

Brian

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Brian,

I was pointing out the major rookie move on your part because I'm skeptical how much shooting a guy who'd sell all his rifles for a range finder and a brand new companies rifle right before hunting season actually does. Sorry for this inconvenient fact, but that is how it comes off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Higbean,

Brian,

I was pointing out the major rookie move on your part because I'm skeptical how much shooting a guy who'd sell all his rifles for a range finder and a brand new companies rifle right before hunting season actually does. Sorry for this inconvenient fact, but that is how it comes off.

Again, how does this contribute to the thread? You see your opinion is just that. Not back up by much. And worth less.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
And again. Back to the actual point in this thread. The experiences and knowledge about Legendary Arms.

So to (Higbean)

Here is a little on my shooting background.
I have been reloading and shooting LR for 30 years
I have shot Fclass and 600 and 1000 yard competition for 20 years
I was a Army over watch (sniper) for 5 years
I work for a very well known rifle smith in Idaho. I build custom loads for his clients and their new custom 1000 LR rifles.

I had owned the gen one Gunwerks BR2 rangefinder. So I am well ad versed in that item. I gave that to my son and bought the Gen 2. The Gen 2 works the exact same as the Gen 1
I wanted a lighter rifle than what I have been toting around. My previous rifle setup was 12lbs. I wanted something under 8lbs.
I was just going to build a rifle using my Rem700 action.
But then in Feb. I started reading about Legendary Arms and what Mark B. Was going to be offering this year. I bought the rifle when it arrived at my Sportsmans Store Aug. 10th. This would give me 3 wks to work up a accurate load before my hunt. I don't work and shoot out at the shooting club daily. So 21 days of load development.

I did my research via internet and talking to all 3guys at Legendary. All three guys stated if I bought that exact rifle after giving them the serial number that guarantee it to shoot 1inch or less with factory ammo and that they would expect with custom reloads to shoot under 1/2 inch at 100 yards. This rifle did not even come close to 1 inch consistently at 100 yards
This rifle consistently shoots 3 inches at 100 yards off the bench with me shooting it. I had another gentleman shoot it at the public range. He shot a 4.5 inch group with the most accurate load for this rifle.
The rifle is in route to legendary at this time. They paid for the return to them again. The paid for the cheapest way Back to them. I shipped it out to them last wk. FedEx tracking shows delivery to them on the 14th.
Like I have said before. At this time, I would not suggest this rifle. My experience with this Legendary Arms Professional 280AI is not good. The rifle looks great, but shoots horribly.

Brian

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hope this one shoots better...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Brian, I sure hope you get your gun back and it shoots lights out in time for next years hunt. If not, let me know and I'll send you out one of my loaners. Ringman would probably do the same but with the caveat that you don't shoot more than two rounds what with throat erosion being what it is....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the offer. I just want to hunt with my own equipment.
Got off the phone with Bob at Legendary Just 10 minutes ago. I guess he is the General manager. I asked for my money back or just send me a new rifle that meets their guarantee. He passed the buck off to Mark Basner and said he can't make that decision. I left a message on Marks personal cell yesterday. Still have not gotten a call from Mark in regards to left message. just my opinion. They just plan on being legendary in words not in action. If people notice. Because I have. Guys that have done a review on a Legendary Arms rifle. These reviews do not show a couple of consecutive groups that are 1inch or less at 100 yards. I am finding this odd.
Just me maybe.
Brian

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Roy-
Nice looking setup!!!

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks for the offer. I just want to hunt with my own equipment.
Got off the phone with Bob at Legendary Just 10 minutes ago. I guess he is the General manager. I asked for my money back or just send me a new rifle that meets their guarantee. He passed the buck off to Mark Basner and said he can't make that decision. I left a message on Marks personal cell yesterday. Still have not gotten a call from Mark in regards to left message. just my opinion. They just plan on being legendary in words not in action. If people notice. Because I have. Guys that have done a review on a Legendary Arms rifle. These reviews do not show a couple of consecutive groups that are 1inch or less at 100 yards. I am finding this odd.
Just me maybe.
Brian

You're obviously very well qualified, and thanks for your service.

Dang.....I'm interested in these LAW's, so I appreciate your candid observations. Please keep us posted how it turns out if you don't mind.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well this takes that rifle of the possible list. Appreciate the candor. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
D
I've got a LAW Professional in 260 Remington ordered, and now you've got me nervous. I was about to have Hill Country Rifles build me a 260 but the Professional had everything I wanted (except for the muzzle brake) at half the cost and all the reviews were favorable so I ordered the LAW. The rifle is supposed to be in by now, but haven't heard anything. Will report on how it shoots.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think Jorge is right.
To the other poster, I would use Pete Peiper of Precision Barrel Work in Hempstead, Texas. I've known Pete for over 20years.
Check his website: http://www.precisionbarrelwork.com/index.htm
Pete probably has the most complete 1 man shop, with multiple new lathes, mills, and CNC equip. He always keeps the latest new machines to do the best job. He has to farm out nothing.

You may go to his gallery with the photos. I believe the first fancy BR rifle used to be mine and if you scroll down, you will see a photo of a 5 shot 200 yard group I shot in Houston in years past. A .153 group. Pete builds an incredibly accurate rifle.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 09/11/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bet LAW will get stuff figured out and start turning out good guns. Seems to be some growing pains with all these start up companies.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
i am in China until the 19th, when i get home i'll shoot my 308 Closer more extensively and post some target photos

Yesu ai zhongguo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Hope this doesn't turn into Forbes II.

It would be smart of them to make this right PDQ. Stuff gets around pretty quick these days.

Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I guess the Green Mountain barrels ain't that good.
If I were having to pay for a rifle, I'd specify my brand of barrel.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 09/11/15.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Did Pete ever mention to you why he won't work on Weatherby Vanguard actions?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not Butch, but my guy told me the barrels are fitted very tightly in Howa actions. He didn't say he wouldn't work on them, just that it was a pain.

Wonder if Pete would work on bare actions?

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/11/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So big surprise. I was told by Bob the general manager yesterday that Mark would call me yesterday, (Bob Guaranteed it). NO PHONE CALL. I called Marks personal cell today. He answered. I asked for a new rifle that will shoot 1 inch or less consistently per the guarantee that Legendary Arms Works has, or just give me my money back. Since they couldn't even get the rifle to shoot 1" or less per the targets that they sent back with the rifle. Mark said no. That when the rifle gets back to them on 9-14-2015 it will get his personal attention. He said after he fixes it again. If it shoots 1inch 3 shot out of a few 3shot groups then it will meet their guarantee. And he will ship it back.

So I guess that the guarantee of Legendary Arms rifles to shoot 1 inch or less with factory ammo. Is really that this 280AI Professional will shoot close to one inch every once in awhile. I truly do not trust these guys.

Brian

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The question I would have is about how it made it out of their shop like that. Do they
test-fire for accuracy, or just have some kind of ISO-ish procedure in place that should yield the accuracy they promise?

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I forgot.
So talked with 2 other guys today. John bought a 300 Win and Stan bought a 280AI. Stan has already sent back his rifle and got it back. He is having the same accuracy issues. His rifle has yet to shoot a 1 inch group as well. He is getting ready to ship it back again. John was at the shooting range that I was at today. His best groups are 3.5" at 100 yards. I told him the issues that people are having with the Professional chambered in 280 AI and 300 Win. I told John my story. I told him that they know that the first 400 rifles per Jd the shop manager have stock issues that prevent the rifles from having good accuracy. John said he will be sending the rifle back next wk. he said he can't trust a rifle that shoots that bad. He bought the rifle to hunt with on the 10th of Oct.. Deer opener. John said he has other rifles. He will just use one of them. He said it really suck. I told him I know. So this means that 3 out of 4 rifle sold from Sportsmans Warehouse have been sent back due to really bad accuracy. The other one is a 26 Nosler. Per a few of the guys at Sportsmans. The guy was going out to a public range with the rifle today.
Brian

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
NOTE TO SELF......

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
When Bansner got into financial troubles a few years ago he lost a lot of his good smiths and stock builders. The owners of Trop Elite brought in $ and bought a share of Bansner's business, thus forming L.A.W.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What stock problems are there?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

If it shoots 1inch 3 shot out of a few 3shot groups then it will meet their guarantee. And he will ship it back.

That's a chickenshit 1" guarantee.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
From what JD said. The stock issue is ( The action screw holes are machined to small and the front aluminum block is not put in the stocks correctly.

I think there are more issues then just those. They fixed those problems when I sent the rifle in the first time. The Rifle still shoots like crap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had the same accuracy problems with a $3,000 Brown a few years ago. After several attempts and failures I called the credit card company. The lady told me, "The sooner he gets the rifle back the sooner you get your money back." It went back that day.

The the guy, I think his name is Mark, had the gall to keep my action for a $750 ransom.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would call the credit card company. But I paid cash at Sportsmanship Warehouse in Nampa Idaho. They told me all warranty work is to be with the Manufacturer. I don't hold them responsible for a [bleep] rifle. They only sold it. They did not build it.

Brian

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am really sorry to hear about the problems you are having.

This rifle was on my short list, but I'd never risk it now.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats a shame. Nice looking rifle. I thought they might have something there. Them not willing to send you a new rifle or get back to you quickly tells me theres a good chance they are overwhelmed with warranty issues.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mark yesterday. Did state. That my rifle is just one of over 100 rifle in the last month that he has had to take to the range after being fixed.
I said. Then what is this telling you sir. The rifles are not going out the door being proof checked.
Mark muddered (what the $uck)

I truly believe that Mark Basner does not have a good team surrounding him anymore. I believe he does not have his heart in it anymore. I think that the bottom line is. He does not care to put out a great product anymore. He only wants money. He does not care about the individual anymore.

Brian

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I guess the Green Mountain barrels ain't that good.

Is this a fact or rumor Butch ?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
His best groups are 3.5" at 100 yards.

I shot a 3.593" group today with my T3 7mm-08.

At 400 yards.

I truly do not understand why people spend thousands on a maybe when you can just buy a freakin' Tikka.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Because accuracy, while certainly important, isn't the only quality that many people desire in a rifle.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The first LAW I saw was the rep's pre-production sample. It was pillar bedded in lieu of the bedding blocks. The bedding was flawless and was truly a work of art.

The second LAW I saw was the pre-production sample they sent me in 308. It had the bedding blocks in lieu of pillar bedding. They sent me the rifle with the original extractor. Feeding wasn't terrible, but needed a firm bolt cycle to be "perfect". I spoke with Mark on the phone about this and he told me to return it as they'd changed extractors and were also cerakoting some of the parts a different color. I did and it came back perfect.

I shot that rifle enough to know it shot really well. The barrel was smooth and didn't foul. After playing with that rifle a bit, I put it back on the used shelf at the shop. garCH on here bought that rifle and has commented on the accuracy.

I like the action and especiall the three position safety. If there are kinks to be worked out, I'm sure they'll get them addressed....and yes, they should have been worked out before shipping.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info. I hope you're right about them getting things right. No doubt there's a lot of pressure to start getting product out the door and payment coming in; a totally different situation than running a custom shop.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well on Friday. Mark said he would let me know when it got in on Monday (today). He said the rifle would get his personal attention as soon as it arrived there at the shop today.

Well big surprise. The rifle was there in the am, and I have heard nothing. Not even we got it.

These guys really suck. They really have zero follow through on what the say or promise.

Brian

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I bought a 26 Nosler about a month ago. The fit and finish on the rifle look great…I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, and after reading this thread Im concerned…

Billy

Turn em loose ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I received a phone call this evening from the CEO of Legendary Arms Mr. Dunn. He said how very sorry he is for the way I felt, in the case for my Rifle and its accuracy. He said that they will get this rifle shooting for me and make sure I am very happy with the performance of my Profesional in 280 AI. I got the impression that he was indeed truly sorry for this situation. He said he will be in contact with me, to give updates as updates come up.

I really do think that he does care at this time after that phone call.

At this time. I would say thankyou Mr. Dunn
I will update you guys as I am update

Brian

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll bet it will shoot when you get it back.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I'll bet it will shoot when you get it back.

I hope he can enjoy it if it does. I've tripped rifles down the road for less even after they've been completely fixed. Once I'm soured on a rifle it's over for me.

David

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Surely, brianc must know how much Mark's personal attention costs? A lot. About 6k. No one is paying that for these rifles.

The rifle should shoot, no doubt. As well as a cooper I would hope.

But, all this crying about immediate attention is unreasonable.

If these rifles carry like a Bansner, which they should because the stock is the same, then that is one of the most endearing qualities of the rifle. We all expect MOA accuracy at this point I agree.

Mark's stock design is a real joy to carry for miles and shoot. It is an experience.

Can anyone post groups of their LAW rifles that shoot well?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Surely, brianc must know how much Mark's personal attention costs? A lot. About 6k. No one is paying that for these rifles.

If these rifles carry like a Bansner, which they should because the stock is the same, then that is one of the most endearing qualities of the rifle. We all expect MOA accuracy at this point I agree.

Mark's stock design is a real joy to carry for miles and shoot. It is an experience.

If Mark said he would call and let Brian know when his rifle came in, then I would expect Mark to call.....not just hand out lip service!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
And he did call. Not as early As the OP whined about. Hope Mark makes it right and that all rifles coming out live up to Marks standards.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Your comments are idiotic.

The rifle wouldn't have required any of Mark's attention if it had been sent out right the first time. Or the second time. Anybody that claimed his rifle was an MOA rifle because one 3-shot group out of three fired was inside of an inch would be laughed off this board. I think he has shown remarkable patience.

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by sidepass
And he did call. Not as early As the OP whined about. Hope Mark makes it right and that all rifles coming out live up to Marks standards.

No he didn't. Somebody else did. Its not whining to let others know that you're not receiving the quality of merchandise you paid for and subsequently getting the run around. What is your affiliation w/ LAW rifles?

David

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anybody can put out a lemon. If it is returned then sent back and there is still a problem then the company is no longer in consideration. I'm willing to give someone a second chance.....after that, if they say it's good and it's not then there is not much use in sending it to them again.

Hopefully Brian will get it back with all issues fixed and shooting dime sized groups. I hope he updates us either way.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No affiliation. I feel that not receiveing a call the first thing on a business day is not an issue. Had it not happened by the end of that day an issue it would be.let's see what happens? I too am interested in the outcome as I am hoping to add one of their rifles to my safe.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by sidepass
No affiliation. I feel that not receiveing a call the first thing on a business day is not an issue. Had it not happened by the end of that day an issue it would be.let's see what happens? I too am interested in the outcome as I am hoping to add one of their rifles to my safe.

Read what he posted and look at the time stamps again (if you haven't set up your time zone in your profile, the time stamp will be off). Mark said he would call him when the rifle was received, he verified that it was delivered in the morning through his delivery svc. At 5:40pm Central time he posted that he had not gotten a call from Mark. Later in the evening the CEO (not Mark) called him and he posted that (and was more positive about it than I could have been).

He isn't whining. He paid a lot of money for a rifle with an accuracy gurantee. The rifle didin't shoot as delivered, was sent back "repaired" and it still didn't shoot. This is it's 2nd trip back, Mark's third shot to make it right and he's giving him attitude about what the MOA gurantee actually means. I'm incredulous that anyone has the balls to defend that kind of response from LAW.

David

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I hate to pile on here, but there are 500 dollar rifles (T/C) (Savage?, Weatherby) that will do MOA, and they advertise as such. So I don't think the OP is being unreasonable either. Especially since this is strike two.

I really wanted one of these rifles. This year. I think I'll wait.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to agree with you on this. With the $$$ spent there should have been one trip made if there was a problem. When they started asking for serial numbers it tells me they were fully aware of a problem.

G
G
I recently purchased the Professional in 300 win mag. I topped it with Warne rings and a Leupold VX3: 4.5-14x40 (Parallax is an issue - big mistake on my part). I've got 37 rounds down the tube so far. The first 10 rounds were break in rounds (shoot-clean-shoot), followed by standard load development with 3-shot strings and random cleanings.

Honestly, the first few shots were exactly what I was looking for, right around 1-inch. Those first 10 shots were break in shots consisting of a fairly decent load of H4831SC and 180 grain Hornady BTSP Interlocks (only had 10 at the time). That being said, it's really hard to definitely say what it was doing between cleanings and a cool barrel - not a 4 shot group.

My goal has been to shoot Nosler A.B's and/or Nosler Partitions. So far, it's pretty obvious the rifle doesn't like either of them. But like any other narrow minded rifle looney, I'm going to keep trying because I just bought a box of 200 grain A.B's.

I found another box of Hornady 180 gr BTSP's that I'm going to start over with. Maybe I got lucky and found a node and a bullet the rifle likes...

I'm just sharing my experience so far and will update the group as I continue load development. This rifle reminds me a lot of my "former" Kimber Montana 300 WSM. The Professional is a dream to handle, but its pretty hard to shoot accurately. The muzzle break does help. But.. It's still a relatively light weight rifle. I purchased some snap-caps to work on my technique and trigger pull. Maybe that's part of the problem folks are having.

I know that Petzal's review of the rifle clearly discussed his challenge and frustration with finding a load the rifle liked - And I think he was using factory ammo.

Bottom line is that experience is telling me this rifle is going to take some effort to figure out. I was hoping for out of the box idiot proof, but it's obviously going to take some finesse. I'm trying to not get discouraged by reading some of the comments on this thread as well. Sure there's a lot of rifles on the market far cheaper than the L.A.W. The L.A.W has some bad-ass components, far exceeding all of the similar priced competition! I love shooting paper targets, but I also love a rifle that looks and feels as indestructible as the Professional! And, when my brother accidently throws a bone saw at the stock when we are gutting my elk (like he did last year to my 300 H&H Ruger No. 1), I won't lose as much sleep!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just for the heck of it, try some IMR-4350 if you have any with the 180's (try 180 Nosler BT's if you have em). Start with 70 grs up to 72 grs. I have always found IMR-4350 to be very accurate in 300 WM's. Right now I'm using 76 grs of H481sc in my 300 WM with Nosler 180 Combined Technology bullets and it is very accurate with that powder as well. Get's 3100 fps as well.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gator145
Try H4831 and a Fed215m with the Nosler 200 Accubond
Try the suggested load out of the Nosler manual
I just finished load developement for a customer of Ed Sweet's in Boise Idaho. His load is H4831(70.0), Fed215m, 200 Accubond 5thou off the lands, doing 2780fps out of a 24" barrel 1-10 twist. This load is shooting
1/2" five shot at 110 yards.

I did hear from JD at Legenday Arms today. He did not have any new news about the 280AI I sent back last wk and that they received in the am of Monday 2 days ago. I will update when I am updated.

Brian

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Brian, I hope you get you rifle shooting, but I'd also like to know what the problem was/is.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've found good barrels don't take much, if any work. I've found that just about all 'bad' barrels can usually be made to shoot, but it typically takes 2 pounds of powder and 1000 primers to find that load.

Any time something is stated as 'proprietary' I look someplace else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't [bleep] with picky rifles very long. If it ain't the bedding or the trigger, it goes down the road.

Spending a considerable sum for a rifle, then spending another one to find the one load it will like doesn't interest me.

Too many off the shelf rifles with a new handle on them will do everything I need.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
JD from Legendary called today to update me. He said they are still working on my rifle to figure out the cause of the bad accuracy.

I will update you all when I am updated.

Brian

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
With two tries at this I do not understand why there isn't a brand new rifle with a signed test target with load data on your door step with a brief written apology.

If LAW hadn't made such a big deal on all the gun boards when they announced these series of rifles I wouldn't be as disappointed as I am. I foolishly thought this would be a controlled feed Cooper (with Cooper accuracy and quality at a smaller pricepoint) with a floorplate and a safety I wouldn't have to search for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bedding. Tell us about the bedding.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Legendary Arms uses a Hightech stock. The install a rear pillar and a front bedding block. They do not bed the action to the stock that I am aware of at this time. They put 50-55 inch lbs of torch on both the front and rear action screws. This was per a conversation with JD the production manager.

Brian

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
HS Precision suggests 65 inch pounds of torque with their stocks, IIRC. That's pretty tight, takes a good bit of force to get there. I guess it's to compensate for any irregularities in fit between their aluminum block and the action.

I like to skim bed those stocks and I think I can get by with 45 inch pounds or so, as the fit is assured.

I agree with Steelhead and others, if I pay for a high end rifle, I expect performance. Legendary Arms needs to step up to the plate and do what is right.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
JD from Legendary called today to update me. He said they are still working on my rifle to figure out the cause of the bad accuracy.

Brian

With all the trouble this rifle has generated it seems like they would have had their best machinist fit and chamber a Krieger, Bartlein, Broughton, or whatever barrel, had their best bedding man put it in a new stock, and sent it back with some smoking test targets and a heartfelt letter of apology by now.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
FWIW, I told my rep about this thread. Companies need to put more stock in forums. I don't think they fully realize how it impacts sales and influences opinions....and they'll never be able to quantify the true losses. This stuff is always at the top of the chain when guys do Google searches on "x" rifles.

Someday, somebody will figure it out...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
FWIW, I told my rep about this thread. Companies need to put more stock in forums. I don't think they fully realize how it impacts sales and influences opinions....and they'll never be able to quantify the true losses. This stuff is always at the top of the chain when guys do Google searches on "x" rifles.

Someday, somebody will figure it out...

Great point.

I hope your rep logs onto this site and does a Google search for his product. He may get educated.

LOTS of people Google something before they buy. Negative reports can be a poison pill to a vendor.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Problem is a lot of these guys probably have more than a few gray hairs and still think that a couple of good write ups by Boddington and Simpson are all that's necessary.

They need to hire some younger consultants with a good grasp of modern marketing.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For Christ's sake their website won't even display on my apple devices!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good point.

With social media and the internet so active these days, a vendor needs to keep up to stay competitive.

The rule 10 years ago is not the rule today. Not even 5 years ago. Marketing is a rapidly evolving beast.

Legendary Arms may not be "legendary" very long if they don't get it together.

Just saying...

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes it is

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Wasn't there a mucky muck from Legendary on here awhile back that Stick tried to set straight on throating and twist rates?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, Paul Reed Don't think he's working for them anymore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's called search engine optimization. Someone with good computer skills can get your product at the top or close to the top of a search list by using certain key words in your web page display that, say, Google likes. It's a lot more complicated than that, but that is the basic premise.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Higbean
Wasn't there a mucky muck from Legendary on here awhile back that Stick tried to set straight on throating and twist rates?

I'm sure Stick was dead on right.

Wonder what Paul thought after Stick got through working him over... laugh

DF

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No one saw this coming.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
These clowns would be better off buying RARs, coating them, putting them in a good stock and selling them as "legendary". ha

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Brian

You should have a brand new rifle in your hands already.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mathman
Did Pete ever mention to you why he won't work on Weatherby Vanguard actions?

Too lazy to cut metric?

Doesn't know how to cut metric?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I figure Bansner, Brown, etc know way more about it than 99.9% of the people here that always bitch and moan about twist rates.

Obviously not.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin
These clowns would be better off buying RARs, coating them, putting them in a good stock and selling them as "legendary". ha

Good one haha

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman

Brian

With all the trouble this rifle has generated it seems like they would have had their best machinist fit and chamber a Krieger, Bartlein, Broughton, or whatever barrel, had their best bedding man put it in a new stock, and sent it back with some smoking test targets and a heartfelt letter of apology by now.

I know he's a bit of a showman, but look at what Kenny Jarrett does with rifles like that. He has them mounted on his wall, in pieces, cut up by a chop saw. And, no matter who you are and how good you are, you don't always hit a home run.

Legendary need to buy a chop saw and do some Jarrett type showboating, plaster that video all over the social media.

Kenny is saying in all that, he has his standards and if a rifle doesn't measure up, doesn't suit him, no one gets it. It's cut up, the pieces hung on the shop wall. That does make quite a statement.

Legendary need to take note.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't know that about Jarrett but he just went up a notch in my book.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bellydeep

His stuff's not cheap, but crap never leaves the Jarrett shop...

DF

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I was one of the first people to put one of the early LAW Professionals in 300 Win mag on layaway. I have the belief that I better put together a new sheep rifle every year. So for this year, I figured the LAW.

I have read many of the different accounts of accuracy problems and issues with bedding. The accuracy issues seem to be bedding based with good accounting of everything else.

I have called the PA folks several different times. I eventually reached Bob who is the COO and shop administrator. He explained to me that there have been 16 rifles out of the 354 that had been sold up to that point returned. This is less than 3%. This is not perfect but LAW knew what was causing their problems.

One of the eight machines that worked on molding the stocks was having difficulties. They said that about 1 in 4 or 5 rifles with stocks built on his molding machine has this issue. They are trying to take care of this as quickly as they can.

One thing that JD noted is that when they are doing accuracy work that they shoot a string of 3 shots with little time for cool down. This means that the third shot sometimes walks a bit because the barrel even if fluted has a petite contour.

I am going to try it but I probably won't get the scope for it for about a month.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Last edited by kaboku68; 09/26/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
20-25% defect rate is dog schit.

Less than 3% returned means a lot of shooters with a crap gun. Maybe they are to dumb to figure it out?

Regardless, still doesn't excuse the OP getting jerked around.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kaboku68

One thing that JD noted is that when they are doing accuracy work that they shoot a string of 3 shots with little time for cool down. This means that the third shot sometimes walks a bit because the barrel even if fluted has a petite contour.

That's BS. A properly bedded rifle w/ a stress relieved barrel won't do that. It's understandable when you buy a factory rifle for $500, but not for what this rifle costs.

David

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
So David, let me get this straight... A barrel with a more slender contour that heats up is not going to produce more deviation in its groups and wander than a the same exact rifle thicker barrel. I always thought it was the other way around that the heavier a contour of a barrel and the more time allowed between shots would make the deviation less and the groups better.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Think I know what David means....SOME light, stress relieved barrels don't walk;some do.

I know Dober had a bitch of a time with a light contour custom which is very popular and has an excellent reputation for accuracy. They are stress relieved far as I know.I won't say the name of the maker....no point in it.

I've had very good luck with light contours in 270/7mm made by Kreiger and Douglas. Both are stress relieved pretty extensively at various points of manufacture.

I expected great results from the Kreigers;have to admit the Douglas tubes I've had caught me off guard...better than expected.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I hear you Bob, I had a 92 Chevy S10 that was a great truck. Sometimes in the really hot weather when pulling a load it would vapor lock, but that by in large I've had great luck with it.

PS: I like eggs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was one of the first people to put one of the early LAW Professionals in 300 Win mag on layaway. I have the belief that I better put together a new sheep rifle every year. So for this year, I figured the LAW.

I have read many of the different accounts of accuracy problems and issues with bedding. The accuracy issues seem to be bedding based with good accounting of everything else.

I have called the PA folks several different times. I eventually reached Bob who is the COO and shop administrator. He explained to me that there have been 16 rifles out of the 354 that had been sold up to that point returned. This is less than 3%. This is not perfect but LAW knew what was causing their problems.

One of the eight machines that worked on molding the stocks was having difficulties. They said that about 1 in 4 or 5 rifles with stocks built on his molding machine has this issue. They are trying to take care of this as quickly as they can.

I am going to try it but I probably won't get the scope for it for about a month.

Sincerely,
Thomas

So, they know what the problem is but keep producing it and instead of replacing the faulty rifles they try to "fix them"?

"Legendary"...

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So David, let me get this straight... A barrel with a more slender contour that heats up is not going to produce more deviation in its groups and wander than a the same exact rifle thicker barrel. I always thought it was the other way around that the heavier a contour of a barrel and the more time allowed between shots would make the deviation less and the groups better.

I didn't say a slender barrel won't produce more deviation in its groups. It shouldn't start throwing shots just because its hot.

David

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
From what I have seen, a light contoured barrel can walk shots after the barrel really heats up. This is why we shoot a 3 shot group not a 5. With a much larger countour barrel like a sendero, a guy can shoot a 5 shot group before you see any walking. From what I have seen. A rifle put together with less stress shoots inconsistently and a barrel installed to a action and then fitted to a stock with stress or not all put together with out stress will shoot very bad or inconsistent. This rifle shot really bad. Shot 3 shots and point of impact would be at 11:00 of point of aim. Let the barrel totally cool and shoot another 3 shot group with the exact same ammo. The group would hit at 3:00. So a six shot group at 100 yards would be an average of 6" and each 3 shot group averaged 2.25" With this perticulary rifle. I would expect there are a few issues not just one.

Brian

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Kobuko68
I was told as well, that only so many rifles had been sold. So Bob state 300, JD just 2 days earlier stated 600 and Mark 3 days after Bob said 1000. When I talked with Mark a few weeks ago. He said he has been at the range a lot. He said that he has been confirming accuracy with a little over 100 repairs over the last month. It maybe just me, but I am hearing conflicting numbers from different people. One would think Hmmm?

JD said that all of the 300 Whichesters and 280AI of the 400 rifles, they think have the stock problems. I do know that all the rifles in these chamfering locally have had to go back after bought. I have been pm'd by 7 different guys that have had to send their rifles back due to really bad accuracy. 5 of those six had to send their rifles back after receiving back from Legendary arms just like me.

Talked with Bob last Wed.. He said they are continuing to shoot my 280AI trying to figure out how to get the rifle to shoot as their gurantee of 1" or less at 100 yards with factory ammo.

Continuing to just wait on a rifle.

Brian

Last edited by brianc74; 09/27/15.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Just went out to his site 7400 bucks on average.. 4 times the price grin

I know exactly 2 people that own them and they are tickled with them

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
From what I have seen, a light contoured barrel can walk shots after the barrel really heats up. This is why we shoot a 3 shot group not a 5. With a much larger countour barrel like a sendero, a guy can shoot a 5 shot group before you see any walking.

Brian

Brian

I've seen the same thing, owned rifles that behaved like that. I had a Rem Model 7 that would keep 5 shots in an inch if you were careful not to over heat it. Get it hot and the groups opened up to 3". I didn't think that was so bad for what I paid for the rifle.

The Kimber Montana I replaced it with wouldn't shoot as accurately 5-shots were generally 1.5", but it didn't make any difference how hot you got it. From stone cold to too hot to touch the shots didn't walk. Had it rebarreled w/ a Hart barrel and now it will put 5 shots inside an inch (most groups are less) as fast as you can pull the trigger. This is a considerably lighter contour than a #3.

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How hot do you think this barrel was by the time Larry was done shooting?

http://youtu.be/TRRahHX9Zkg

See any light barrel heat induced POI walking?

David

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think in this case. The issue has nothing to do with a skinny barrel. I think it has many issues. I think the action to stock fit, and possibly barrel, and barrel to action fit. But I won't know till I get it back again.

Brian

Last edited by brianc74; 09/27/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A guy over at OpticsTalk just bought a Professional in 6.5 Creedmoor and reported around 1' groups with factory Hornady 120 SST's and around 1/2" groups with factory AMAX's. Only issue was a very heavy trigger pull.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think in this case. The issue has nothing to do with a skinny barrel. I think it has many issues. I think the action to stock fit, and possibly barrel, and barrel to action fit. But I won't know till I get it back again.

Brian

I agree, just following up with my discussion w/ kaboku68 and the comments he got from LAWS. I sincerely hope you get your rifle back soon and that it exceeds your expectations when you do.

David

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

DF

Just went out to his site 7400 bucks on average.. 4 times the price grin

I know exactly 2 people that own them and they are tickled with them

They are overpriced, IMO.

But, Kenny is obsessed with putting out a top product. His crew works up loads, spends a lot of time breaking in and developing loads for each gun.

If a gun makes it past the chop saw and out the door, it shoots.

I guess you can do that for 4X's the price.

I'm thinking it could be done for less than that.

Just me, just saying.

And, as mentioned earlier, these aren't $500 factory guns, churned out in great numbers. Customers paying more than factory deserve more than factory.

DF

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw-E_NJhnao

This is what I was talking about.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw-E_NJhnao

This is what I was talking about.

If a rifle strings shots because the barrel gets hot it means there's something wrong. The truth is a 3-shot MOA guarantee is really a 5-shot 1.5MOA guarantee - I note he didn't say that you can expect 5-shots in an inch if you wait 20 minutes between rounds.

Firing hand loads voids the warranty. I stopped watching there, I've seen enough.

Thanks for the link.

David

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Firing hand loads voids the warranty. I stopped watching there, I've seen enough.

David

That's the craziest thing I've heard. I was once interested in these, but not so much anymore. I hope the OP gets his rifle sorted out too. Seems the LAW guys are taking their merry time with it though.....I know I would not operate that way, especially when bringing a new product to the market.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Sincerely,
Thomas

If you were trying to do LAW a favor, you didn't.

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When LAW was on here completely ignoring the advice of shooters here who've actually shot out barrels in multiples about what they want in a rifle, I knew they weren't really destined to be the next amazing thing.

A quick perusal of this thread has me asking this.

If they knew - specifically that they had problems with stocks on 2 specific cartridges (which doesn't make sense as would a stock be cartridge specific and not action length) why wouldn't the "repair" to simply be - replace the stock and go about your day? Surely what they've spent in bad press and multiple returns on rifles has exceeded their production/product costs on a new stock.

Unless of course - the excuse is complete BS. Which I'm more inclined to believe...

Me

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
.......This rifle shot really bad. Shot 3 shots and point of impact would be at 11:00 of point of aim. Let the barrel totally cool and shoot another 3 shot group with the exact same ammo. The group would hit at 3:00. So a six shot group at 100 yards would be an average of 6" and each 3 shot group averaged 2.25" With this perticulary rifle. I would expect there are a few issues not just one.

Brian

That IS pretty bad....more than a light barrel contour. Something else is going on.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I saw that.

My light rifles don't start moving at the third shot like that. My Kimber .308 with 23" Broughton will stack three under a half inch almost every time, occasionally 3/8".

But, I bedded that one... cool

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

David

That's the craziest thing I've heard.

Pretty arrogant attitude when they can't seem to keep their third shot in the group.

They know everything, handloader know nothing...

Thanks, but no thanks... crazy

BTW, that .308 barrel can't be blazing hot after three rounds. I know mine gets warm, not smoking hot after three. Now, my 26 Nos with a #2 contour gets pretty hot after three... blush

But, this is a .308!

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am pizzed that my POS $1000, 6# 270 Win Montana only averaged 3 in a shade over an inch at 100 on its first outing with the 140 gr TSX. Dearly hoping I can manage to hit an elk with it in a few weeks.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Unless you shoot 10 shot groups and measure them with a caliper down to the nearest .0001 you're doomed on hitting an elk

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, minute of an elk is pretty big... laugh

Loonies like tight shooting rifles.

And, they'll still kill an elk.

Plus shoot very small groups... cool

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah this ain't no "stock" problem me thinks. If they knew where the problem was coming from, they'd fix it and give the OP his rifle back.

O
O
I purchased the Professional in 280AI a couple of months ago as well... the rifle is currently on its second vacation to PA. They didn't fix the problem the first go round. Thing still shot like crap. Had some 3 round groups where I could stack the first 2 and the 3rd would land 3" off the mark. Other groups where rounds would land in no particular pattern into an awful 4-5" group. Not sure what's going on with my rifle, but let's just say I'm not confident the problem is going to be addressed this trip either. This will be it's last trip to PA. If it does not shoot I will take it to one of the many competent smith's in this area to have it bedded properly and, if necessary, rebarreled. Seriously regretting this purchase. How's that saying go? If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A $300 Ruger American will shoot better groups than that.

DF

O
O
Agreed. I had one in 6.5 creedmoor that was quite a shooter. Bought the wife a tikka t3 to fill the void left by the legendary arms works rifle. That tikka is a nice shooting rifle. Less than half the cost of the LAW and no comparison in the accuracy department. That tikka does live up to its sub moa guarantee.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would like to thank the folks here that have apparently taken one for the team. I was all-in on one of these but thought I'd hold out to hear some initial reports.

Sorry you gents have had to deal with the frustration.

WWP53D
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SKane
I would like to thank the folks here that have apparently taken one for the team. I was all-in on one of these but thought I'd hold out to hear some initial reports.

Sorry you gents have had to deal with the frustration.

Yep, that's a big disappointment.

Those guys need to stay on Legendary until they get satisfaction or their money back.

Information/knowledge is power and thanks to the Fire, we get a lot, some of it actually useful... grin

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One thing I notice about "new" rifle models is that they all seem to have these "problems". Especially as they move from "custom" status to mass manufacturing methods. None of them seem to work right and shoot perfectly....at least some of them.

Seems to take awhile before the monkeys are worked out and makers get their act together.Which is why I generally sit back and watch before reaching for my checkbook.

Just more evidence that CNC and computer driven machinery and holding parts to tiny tolerances,synthetic stocks,and modern barrels are not the only answer to a quality rifle.

They still have to be assembled just "so". It's the difference between a great rifle, and a POS that's frustrating to own.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
My "problem" with all this is not that there are some issues associated with the launch of a new rifle. It's the apparent lackadaisical attitude in getting it right with the customer. I mean, taking a miffed customer's rifle out to the range to verify whatever is a sign to me that they don't know what to do about it, or don't really care. Good grief, give the man a brand new, proven rifle muy pronto and worry about the non-shooters later.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My "problem" with all this is not that there are some issues associated with the launch of a new rifle. It's the apparent lackadaisical attitude in getting it right with the customer. I mean, taking a miffed customer's rifle out to the range to verify whatever is a sign to me that they don't know what to do about it, or don't really care. Good grief, give the man a brand new, proven rifle muy pronto and worry about the non-shooters later.

Yep.

They could call Kenny Jarrett for advice on handling clunkers. But if they chop sawed their bloopers, how many would they have left??

The way they're handling this is a bigger problem than the problem with the rifle, IMO.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 09/28/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If it takes a company this long to sort out a poorly shooting rifle it means:

A) They don't care.
B) They're incompetent.
C) They have a myriad of issues they're dealing with.

Me takes C for $1400...

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by BobinNH
One thing I notice about "new" rifle models is that they all seem to have these "problems". Especially as they move from "custom" status to mass manufacturing methods. None of them seem to work right and shoot perfectly....at least some of them.

Seems to take awhile before the monkeys are worked out and makers get their act together.Which is why I generally sit back and watch before reaching for my checkbook.

I would say that the Nosler 48TGR in 338 Win and 48 Patriot in 26 nosler were both accurate out of the box. My Cooper model 52 in 3006 is also very accurate.
My JOC Tribute is very accurate with a smaller contour barrel. I would imagine that with the extra care that went into it and its price point that it fits in this space.

What I find interesting and I will soon find out if I am part of the group of those disappointed is that many of the Kimber owners are only reporting accuracy potential with an after market barrel.

I am curious about one minor thing that when I say it will make everybody go hmm. I notice that the Boddingtons have a 300 Win and 280 AI in professionals and that they are very accurate at least on camera. I also noticed that they had Talley scope mounts. I am wondering if the bases that are supplied with the rifles have been examined? Bases with irregularities can cause lots of problems.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bet Boddington's rifles didn't just "roll off the line"

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I figure Bansner, Brown etc know WAY more about warranty issues than 99.9% of the people here that always bitch and moan about a poor shooting rifle.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I figure Bansner, Brown, etc know way more about it than 99.9% of the people here that always bitch and moan about twist rates.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

What I find interesting and I will soon find out if I am part of the group of those disappointed is that many of the Kimber owners are only reporting accuracy potential with an after market barrel.

I can't speak for the other Kimber owners that had their rifles rebarreled, but mine was capable of meeting the LAW 3-shot MOA guarantee as delivered. When I first got it I had a problem because I didn't realize the Talley supplied screw was too long for the front base - that isn't a Kimber problem. Once I got that sorted, the rifle shot pretty good. I never bedded it with the factory barrel, that probably would have improved it some also.

David

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I figure Bansner, Brown etc know WAY more about warranty issues than 99.9% of the people here that always bitch and moan about a poor shooting rifle.

You're an expert smartass, as verified by you taking "shots" at a kid with one good hand, and one hand missing. Remember that pearl? Bet you're a nice guy in person though. Nevertheless, I'd still bet those LAW's mentioned do indeed know way more about it than 99% of the posters here, including you. It's their motivation to please a customer that bothers me.

O
O
I have a stock kimber mountain ascent in 280AI. It's meets and exceeds sub moa. Really wish I would have bought another kimber instead of the LAW that is currently sitting 2000 miles away in PA.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

You're an expert smartass, as verified by you taking "shots" at a kid with one good hand, and one hand missing. Remember that pearl? Bet you're a nice guy in person though. Nevertheless, I'd still bet those LAW's mentioned do indeed know way more about it than 99% of the posters here, including you. It's their motivation to please a customer that bothers me.

Show me where I EVER took a 'shot' at a kid? You're reading comprehension rivals that of rock.

Sweet Jesus you are one stupid Mofo

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
More funny stuff. Wondering why others care what someone uses to load cases, then jumping in with both feet on the 222 Rem thread getting into others for using it to deer hunt. Of course all of this is based upon your vast experience.

Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by EdM
Folks are actually weighing each charge?

Why some concern themselves with how others reload is an ongoing mystery of the universe.

Isn't that the truth.......

Obviously the pics by experienced hunters prove a .222 will kill a deer. Why someone would choose it, when they have other options, is beyond me.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The ASTUTE saw this coming from the get go...but the fhuqking Texans are still stumped. I can only lead the STUPID Fhuqkers to water and very much enjoy it,when they don't drink.

Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't.

The GLARING Obvious

Hint.

Laffin'!

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
You're not worth the time or effort to search for it. Tom264 remembers it well I bet, as it was his kid you took a shot at. Pretty pathetic, but par for your course.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I can't speak for the other Kimber owners that had their rifles rebarreled, but mine was capable of meeting the LAW 3-shot MOA guarantee as delivered. When I first got it I had a problem because I didn't realize the Talley supplied screw was too long for the front base - that isn't a Kimber problem. Once I got that sorted, the rifle shot pretty good. I never bedded it with the factory barrel, that probably would have improved it some also.

David

Mine was an early model with a problem barrel that Kimber didn't seem as excited about as I was. I could see a constriction with the Hawkeye and feel it with a tight rod, around 2" from the muzzle.

A 23" SS light contour Broughton 5C sure cured that... cool

DF

R
R
Greetings All,

I have been away from the forums for a bit but want to let you know that in May I began some new career adventures and am no longer working for or associated with LAW. I have had a few PMs and have directed them to the LAW Website. I’m sure that my former colleagues at LAW will get things worked out with a bit of time. Mark is a superb gunsmith with a proven record and I wish them the best of luck in their endeavors.

Thanks
Paul

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
I hate to laugh but holy [bleep] this is hilarious
Unless you bought one of LAW's tomato stakes .condolences to those that didn't drink

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bansner will be jumping ship next.

Anybody seen the ads for NEW Legendary Arms Works?

Last edited by Pappy348; 10/01/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
O
Haven't seen the ads... what makes you think Mark is leaving?

Still waiting for my rifle to be shipped back to me. Bob assures me that they have gone through the frifle with a fine toothed comb and will be over - nite shipping it back to us on Monday. Communication has not been good. I continually have to call for updates after being assured they would provide them regularly. This will be the last trip this rifle makes to PA. If it still doesn't shoot it will become a donor action, stock, and trigger for a new project. Unfortunate. The Mrs had big plans for this rig this season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know anything of the sort. There are no ads (that I'm aware of). It was just a remark based on the post above announcing the departure of Mr. Reed, which may or may not be related to the problems described here. Bansner has a great reputation and this is probably driving him nuts. Looks like another example of the difficulty of carrying the quality and detail of a custom product over into a semi-custom or production environment. I wish them well, but someone had better get a handle on this soon or they're done before they really get started.

Last edited by Pappy348; 10/02/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great idea, poor execution

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, a small custom operation being turned into production operation is a big step.

Unfortunately, most start ups fail. I know this isn't a from scratch start up, but that leap from custom to production is essentially a start up from a business model.

I wish them luck.

DF

B
B
Yep, a small custom operation being turned into production operation is a big step.

Unfortunately, most start ups fail. I know this isn't a from scratch start up, but that leap from custom to production is essentially a start up from a business model.

I wish them luck.

DF

I wish them more than luck... I picked up a 28 Nosler and I'm tickled with it... still working on loads but getting better than 1 moa at 200 with what I'm trying. I trust they'll work through the learning curve and hope they stick around and deliver on the promise so the next time I get the itch they are an option. near custom quality for that price point ain't bad. Like my coopers but like the LAW balance, weight and slick action a bunch.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BLTHD

I wish them luck.

DF

I wish them more than luck... I picked up a 28 Nosler and I'm tickled with it... still working on loads but getting better than 1 moa at 200 with what I'm trying. I trust they'll work through the learning curve and hope they stick around and deliver on the promise so the next time I get the itch they are an option. near custom quality for that price point ain't bad. Like my coopers but like the LAW balance, weight and slick action a bunch.

Welcome to the Fire.

DF

O
O
Just got my 280AI Professional back from its second trip to the factory. No change in performance. No consistency whatsoever. Beyond frustrating... not to mention expensive. Some groups exceeding 6 moa @ 100. Not even sure what to do with this thing at this point. It is obvious that they are not serious about addressing product defects.

Last edited by OdinofWyoming; 10/07/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
WOW! Unreal...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OdinofWyoming,

Just got my 280AI Professional back from its second trip to the factory. No change in performance. No consistency whatsoever. Beyond frustrating... not to mention expensive. Some groups exceeding 6 moa @ 100. Not even sure what to do with this thing at this point. It is obvious that they are not serious about addressing product defects.

Small claims court?

Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Scope/mount issues?

O
O
Negative on the scope issues. That's what I thought it had to be at first too... I mean, it can't be the $1600 rifle right? Wrong! This rifle has had the mounts checked and rechecked, several sets of rings, and 2 different Vortex Viper HS scopes on top of it. Some major issues going on here. Really sucks as this was to be the wife's hunting rig this year (including a wyoming bison tag). This experience has been a complete disappointment. Luckily the Tikka we bought her for a quick replacement shoots lights out.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Odin,

Don't know if you saw this:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10524122/Range_report,_LAW_Professional#Post10524122

Even if you don't want to attempt repair yourself, I would be curious as to whether you have the same issue.

David

D
DBF Offline
D
I just joined after coming here to read up on these rifles. I'll usually take a flyer on a new rifle at the $1500 price but think now I'll buy another Cooper and sit this one out. A few of us that hunt a lot on Snipershide were all set to jump on these as the dealers, most who are pretty reliable here in Colorado, were pretty high on these. Glad I found the site, can't believe I didn't know about this forum.
Thanks,

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Unbelievable. The same failing business model that keeps rearing its head. I'd think someone planning a startup would do some research and speak to some other folks that couldn't make it work to find out where the sticking places are so that there is a procedure in place when Murphy rears his head. Not yet. Just like Melvin, I'm sure Mark knows how to make a rifle. Neither obviously have much business savvy. Nothing wrong with that. It seems that the businessmen and their models are the ones doing the failing here.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It was pretty obvious that LAW had already determined they knew everything they needed to know.

Travis

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Unbelievable. The same failing business model that keeps rearing its head. I'd think someone planning a startup would do some research and speak to some other folks that couldn't make it work to find out where the sticking places are so that there is a procedure in place when Murphy rears his head. Not yet. Just like Melvin, I'm sure Mark knows how to make a rifle. Neither obviously have much business savvy. Nothing wrong with that. It seems that the businessmen and their models are the ones doing the failing here.

They do, and they all think it is a consumer issue.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Odin,

Don't know if you saw this:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10524122/Range_report,_LAW_Professional#Post10524122

Even if you don't want to attempt repair yourself, I would be curious as to whether you have the same issue.

David

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10524122

I found out, by knocking off the duplicate part of the link, it will light up for click activation.

DF

B
B
Could be I skimmed the thread too fast but it seems like the issues reported were all 280ai... Did I get that right? Been a while but did Brian C get his back and sorted out?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If you buy cheap you get cheap.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I received my 280AI last wk. they got it shooting to 1" depending on the load. They had to bed it. When I talked with them 2wks ago. Both Dave and JD said they bedded the action. When I got it. I took the rifle apart to see the bed job, expecting a Profesional bed job of the complete action through the lug. All was bedded was the front aluminum block nothing else.

They supplied me with hand load info with groups they shot, shooting 3/4" to .550" When I shot those loads it still shot 1.1" to 1.5" at 100 yards. I brought the rifle home and looked at how the stock to action, bottom metal and trigger fit to the stock. After close examination. I saw the trigger was bound against the stock aswell the bottom metal was aswell still. So after some stock relief. They really should have seen that and fixed it.So I retorched the action screws to 55"lbs in the front and 50"lbs to the rear after grinding out the stock. Took the rifle to the range again and the rifle now shoots 1/2-3/4 consistently with the loads that they supplied me with. I have really noticed you have to have great and very consistant form while shooting a LAW rifle.

So I bought the August 12 and was still working on it through yesterday Oct 10. Now this is just my opinion here. I have had more frustration and time along with good money on this Rifle and company then I have ever had with a production rifle. I have had many Savage, Tikka, and Remington's in my day. And yes plastic stocks often need replaced with a aftermarket and the trigger needs some tuning. But that is for a $350-$600 rifle. When spending $1700 on a rifle and you still end up spending close to another $775 on it and 2 months of the company and your self trying to fix the rifle.

Now this is only my experience here and my opinion. I do think that at LAW and Mark Bansner want to do well. But I have the impression that there are lots of management, and very little workers and that there is very poor communication and follow through.I was told and promised a lot of things. At the end of it, about 20% was delivered.

As for myself. NEVER AGAIN

Last edited by brianc74; 10/11/15.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Brian,

I'm glad you got it sorted! Hopefully you can put your experience out of your mind and enjoy your hunts this year.

David

O
O
Good news. Legendary Arms Works agreed to give me a full refund of my money today. Glad to have my money back, but would much rather had that rifle in a copy that shot well. Such a nice rifle in the hand and a company I really wanted to support (veteran owned). Maybe some other day after they've worked out all of the kinks.

To all of you that offered comment, thanks for all of the help.

Now what to buy to replace it?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,402
Posts18,470,144
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.