Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Can anyone, other than those who raise them, really tell any difference between their meat and the meat of the untermenschen?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Marketing ploy. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Can anyone, other than those who raise them, really tell any difference between their meat and the meat of the untermenschen?

I don't know that the 100% Angus marketing ploy is exactly truthful.

What I do know is that when we started getting a few too many calves that weren't predominantly black, the cattle buyer would say something about it. If there were too many the next buying trip, he would cut them, and not buy them.

As long as the calves were mostly "black" they got the seal of approval for "Angus Beef"...

It also is reflected in the cattle markets. Year in a year out, black calves will bring more per pound than non black cattle.

If I were going to eat a calf, I'd choose a black heifer calf and feed her to about 1100 1200 pounds and plan it to go to the packer in the spring, because they gain more weight in cooler weather per pound of feed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What they ate and how they were finished

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
angus cattle are more warm and cuddly than most any other breed. that by definition makes them more sought after, valuable, and solicited.

it really is that simple.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I bet there are very few breeds that have not been influenced by some other breed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Angus cattle have more marbling in the meat than other breeds, as a whole. But, the way the animal was 'fed out', the aging of the carcass, the processing, etc. all contribute to the quality of the meat, more than the breed of the animal.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What they eat, how you feed them out, how they are handled during processing and aging makes more difference than what color they were.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
From a producer standpoint they generally have good instincts/dispositions and make good cows(mothers..). Fairly easy to handle and can withstand a wide range of 'weather'.

And that is worth a lot.

(they also make damn good beef steaks....)

We have 3 red cows, 3 char cross cows and the rest are all black/black white face.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dont know how well i can tell the difference between angus and another breed besides longhorn(near zero fat) but can tell the difference between one raised on dry prairie versus one raised on richer food stuffs like a feedlot.....having grown up on it i much prefer local beef to what most seem to think is good beef, i'm used to the lower fat content of local beef.....feedlot beef or stuff raised on richer ground than our short grass prairie tastes "greasy" to me, stuff given lots of corn to finish off even more so...

Last edited by rattler; 08/01/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Everywhere you look now you see them advertising Angus beef. People think it is better from this, so they will pay a little more, thinking the beef will be better. A few years back the buyers wanted Charolais and their crosses. Before that it was black white face. Buyers and sellers always have a gimmick. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sam, do you recall what the name of that huge Red Angus ranch in Montana was. They where huge back in the 90s

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rattler
dont know how well i can tell the difference between angus and another breed besides longhorn(near zero fat) but can tell the difference between one raised on dry prairie versus one raised on richer food stuffs like a feedlot.....having grown up on it i much prefer local beef to what most seem to think is good beef, i'm used to the lower fat content of local beef.....feedlot beef or stuff raised on richer ground than our short grass prairie tastes "greasy" to me, stuff given lots of corn to finish off even more so...

Yeah, give me grass-fed beef anytime, compared to feed-lot cow meat. I like it better lean. It's got to have SOME fat, but not the way they're finishing them out now.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 08/01/15.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking
Sam, do you recall what the name of that huge Red Angus ranch in Montana was. They where huge back in the 90s

Viking, I know who you are talking about but can't think of the name.

Some of the bigger ranches merged or are listed under the same sale.

We have a 2.5 year old heifer that might weigh about 900lbs this fall. The -10F calf that lived...

She's been on grass for 2 months and we'll haul that pasture home in a couple more months, so 4-5 months on straight grass.

Thought about butchering her right from the pasture but have heard a few stories that make a guy second guess.

Safe to say she's 100% organic, might have got a little back pour last spring but that's it.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by milespatton
Everywhere you look now you see them advertising Angus beef. People think it is better from this, so they will pay a little more, thinking the beef will be better. A few years back the buyers wanted Charolais and their crosses. Before that it was black white face. Buyers and sellers always have a gimmick. miles

Yup! Hardees......uhhhhhhhhhkay!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marketing ploy. miles

agreed, use another quality beef ( Hereford comes to mind) fed and raised in a similar fashion

and I'd lay some pretty good odds there's not many (if any) folks that could tell for certain which steak is which

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
as far as the best of both worlds those black, bald faced cow Sammo and Miles mentioned were always my faves.

seemed the best of both worlds, calves not too big, but the cows were leggier than pure Angus, good milk producers for their calves and by and large good mothering instincts.

not much prettier than a field full of them cows grazing to my eyes when I fancied myself a "cattleman" (read dirt poor farm boy with delusions of grandeur)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
speaking of which, I've made a far above average living surrounded by good lookin gals in their child bearing years Sammo

and yet there's days I'm jealous as hell of the life you lead.

I know it's got plenty of hard work and worry involved, I haven't completely forgotten how it goes

grass always seems greener on the other side, but I hope in the big pic you're happy with your choice Sammo.

I really wished I'd have stayed on the farm and helped my grandad until he passed. There'd of still been plenty of time for me to live the life I wanted.

Sam can pretty well guarandamntee you, watching you work the ranch probably buys your dad an amount of happiness that's hard to put a price on.

(at least that's how I hope it is)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by viking

Leachman?

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by rattler

Yeah, give me grass-fed beef anytime, compared to feed-lot cow meat. I like it better lean. It's got to have SOME fat, but not the way they're finishing them out now.

oh yeah it definitely has fat but not as much....i have a buddy with a few longhorns and for grins one year he did steaks instead of pure burger....yeah that didnt work out so well, way to little fat for a good juicy steak.....

did like having some of the longhorn burger though, was great for things like tacos, meatloaf ect where you didnt want a bunch of grease to pour off, usually bought about 40 pounds of that a year and a full normal beef from someone else on top of what deer and stuff we shot and put in the freezer....to teenage athletes can lay waste to a freezer, youngest used to take a 3 pound package of burger out after practice, thaw it out, make it into three burgers, eat those and then still have supper with the rest of us a few hours later crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Remember when the buyers wanted a black with a little ear. They do make good mama cows.

When we had cattle and fed out our own, 2 weeks in the lot and then to the processor. Anymore and there was too much fat.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad

In general, Angus cattle will tend to have the ability to lay a bit more intramuscular fat than most other common breeds.

The cattle tend to have above average performance so theoretically, they will be ready to harvest at a younger age and have the ability, because of that, to be a bit more tender.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In general, Angus cattle will tend to have the ability to lay a bit more intramuscular fat than most other common breeds.

That's what is called 'marbling'. Fat dispersed throughout the muscle.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Angus cows might do good in the grassy pastures in much of the country but there are better cows for the scrubby stuff we call open range in most of Arizona. Angus cows do make a good momma I will give them that. Some of my best steaks have come from Herefords and hereford crosses. Hard to fault that breed too.

For a while, the top money was on Brangus calves- at least for a couple of years there. I think many folks raise what they know they can sell, others what they think is best.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd be willing to be that the slogan 100% Angus beef is an Angus cross that might only be 50% true Black Angus.

When my grandpa who has been dead close to 40 years started building his cattle herd, buyers wanted registered Herefords. He was selling registered yearling Hereford bulls in the 1940's for $2000 per head.

Now the rage is for Angus beef and the price reflects it.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Since about the early 70's, the Angus producers have done a better job of advertising - and also genetic improvement (via Expected Progeny Differences) making it easier to select stock that suits your conditions (theoretically and statistically)
That said, angus are not the same critters I grew up around in the early 60's - DUH! Cows regularly go 1200 instead of 900, don't kick near as much, and don't try to root like a hog under a fence when tightly confined.
The new version is a pleasure t work with. Red Angus seem to have many of the same traits, and bring the same money.
My all-time favorites are black-baldy's.
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Things changed forever for the Herefords back in 1889 when they started calling them up at supper time and asking their opinion on politics.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Black-baldy's are hard to beat. My favorite was a charlois-angus cross for the mama bred to a brangus. Calves always brought top dollar at the sale barn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great, now I'm gonna have to go to the store and buy some steaks for dinner tomorrow.......

Thanks guys.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Randy, the traffic sucks....

[Linked Image]

And beings I don't have any kids we currently have a labor crunch aka falling behind...

Luckily the market is decent.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Black-baldy's are hard to beat. My favorite was a charlois-angus cross for the mama bred to a brangus. Calves always brought top dollar at the sale barn.

Char crossing the road.......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Randy, the traffic sucks....

[Linked Image]

And beings I don't have any kids we currently have a labor crunch aka falling behind...

Luckily the market is decent.

this post has me grinnin from ear to ear. good on ya Sammo

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I learned a lot on this thread. I always thought Angus beef was meat from a Scottish Highlander.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Charlois, Black Angus and Simmental. Can you pick out the Simmental?

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There's a lot of Angus being raised around here; Black and Red, often in the same pasture.

If a Black bull breeds a Red cow, can the offspring come out either way of somewhere in between?

Also, what are those cattle that look like a Charolais that leaned up against a freshly painted black wall?

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/01/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by roundoak
Charlois, Black Angus and Simmental. Can you pick out the Simmental?

[Linked Image]

I understand the Simmental has done more to improve registered stock of all kinds than anything else in history. wink

Last edited by Scott F; 08/02/15.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My cousin was running a restaurant for a while. He's the kind of guy that knows everything and can't be told anything. We were talking about food costs and I asked if he knew what his ratios were. After I explained ratios he said his were going down because he wasn't going to buy angus beef anymore. He said most people are too stupid to even know what part of the cow the angus is anyways.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 08/01/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F
I learned a lot on this thread. I always thought Angus beef was meat from a Scottish Highlander.

...no, that would be one of these...our stock of choice...15 month heifer pictured.... "Lean" meat is the word with this breed. They are half-goat, eat most anything.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There's one black cow that looks like she's got Simmental in her and the char cross cows look like they could have some as well.

Montana MOFO
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My father in law had a registered angus cow herd.
No I can not tell the difference between herford, angus or other breeds after its grilled.

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Randy, round baling hay barley this morning as soon as the dew blows off, get down here and help!

RO, if they aren't all a 3 way cross I would guess the brockle face hiding in the back would have to be the Simmental.

Originally Posted by Pappy348

If a Black bull breeds a Red cow, can the offspring come out either way of somewhere in between?

Yes, it could be black(most likely), red or reddish brown.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

RO, if they aren't all a 3 way cross I would guess the brockle face hiding in the back would have to be the Simmental.

Good eye, Sam. Plus the three that are with her. They came into the herd together and they stick together.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
20-25 years ago semmi's had to be the dumbest, highest maintance critter around.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's like breeding labs. You have dominant black and recessive yellow. If both parents carry the recessive yellow, you can have both black and yellow pups in the same litter. Other genes control the shading of black or yellow to give chocolate, red, white, etc.
With Angus, you have dominant black and recessive red with other genes giving shading variations within those 2 colors. If both parents carry the recessive red gene, if the cow should twin it's possible to have both black and red calves.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thank God you're round baling Sam

they were just coming into vogue when I left the farm.

when we got our own hay put up, I hired out to a crew to haul hay (mostly for large dairy operations)

.02.5 cents a bale,, yessir 2.5 cents a bale, if we hauled a 1000 bales in I made $25 dollars!

my the things you can talk an ignorant youth into doing!

it got a tad warm in the top of those metal hay barns in the summer when we were stacking it up high

and we hated the farmers that bailed so tight that the bales were closer to 80 lbs. than 60, but we hauled their stuff just the same

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I hated, hated, hated, baling hay (and assorted weeds, all with considerable water content/weight) - nostrils filled with dust and chaff, wrists raw from stems poking them, pissed-off bumble bees in the bales looking for revenge (and finding it), mows that were in fact an Easy-Bake oven in some young giantess's play-room. Just the smell when driving by a field of fresh-cut hay is enough to ruin my mood.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
We had a simmental bull when I was younger and he liked to roam. He would push through the fence and look for more cows. I had to ride the river and chase him back a dozen times. We finally sold him and bought a bull that was more of a home-body. I can't even remember what the new bull was. Never had to go find him though!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
we hated the farmers that bailed so tight that the bales were closer to 80 lbs. than 60, but we hauled their stuff just the same
I bucked hundreds of tons of hay when I was a kid. We also hated the 80lb bales. But then they invented the bale wagon and bale weight jumped to as heavy as 120 sometimes. They were made to be stacked by machine but they sure weren't fed by machine. Those things were responsible for lots of back injuries. Now they have the ton bales which save the backs. They're so big that they can only be handled by machine so nobody has to wrestle them.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by Scott F

...no, that would be one of these...our stock of choice...15 month heifer pictured.... "Lean" meat is the word with this breed. They are half-goat, eat most anything.

[Linked Image]

broomd;
With apologies to the OP and all who've been earnestly pursuing the question at hand....

Here's southern Alberta's finest cowboy music singer with a song about your heifer's brother - among other things.

It used to be that beef with mostly red hides went for more than Hereford or black cows at the auction yard here in town.

The rancher who's branding crew I've helped on for more than two decades now has always used an Angus bull for the heifers as they've got a smaller head and sloping shoulder which results in easier calving on average.

All the best to you and all the cattle raisers here.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image] Couple out behind the barn.

Our herd is predominantly Angus, with a few crosses mixed in. Also we usually buy Angus and Angus crosses, for the feedlot. They finish out nice for us, grade well and can bring a little premium (certified Angus beef) when we send them.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I remember working for a Canadian farmer loading bales when I was a kid. His daughter Pauline drove the tractor in a red blouse, and when she turned around to see where to stop, it looked like that damned blouse was going to explode. Can't remember the size of the bales, or how much we got paid, or if the barn was hot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Neat pic Ben, beautiful country for angus.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
we hated the farmers that bailed so tight that the bales were closer to 80 lbs. than 60, but we hauled their stuff just the same
I bucked hundreds of tons of hay when I was a kid. We also hated the 80lb bales. But then they invented the bale wagon and bale weight jumped to as heavy as 120 sometimes. They were made to be stacked by machine but they sure weren't fed by machine. Those things were responsible for lots of back injuries. Now they have the ton bales which save the backs. They're so big that they can only be handled by machine so nobody has to wrestle them.

I had a great Uncle that wanted to save twine so he set the baler up to 75# and expected us kids to wrestle them around. Dad found out about it and told him if he didn't lighten the bales he would not send his kids over to help.

My kids were fortunate, for several years I baled everything with a kicker baler. Later I bought a round baler but still use a kicker baler for a supply of small bales to feed out flakes to horses and to take with us on overnight camping and rides with the horses.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Neat pic Ben, beautiful country for angus.

Likewise, I always enjoy checking out everyone's pics.

Last edited by keystoneben; 08/02/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice pic, Ben. Looks alot like the country around here.

Black Angus is the predominate breed here on the farm for some of the reasons you stated, however I am a sucker for a good deal at the sale barn and will purchase other breeds. A recent example was 12 bred Red Angus mama cows owned by an elderly gentlemen farmer came through the sale barn last fall. They did not bid out very high. When they calved, two cows had twins. I made out like a bandit. grin

Any Red Angus in your area?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by roundoak
Nice pic, Ben. Looks alot like the country around here.

Black Angus is the predominate breed here on the farm for some of the reasons you stated, however I am a sucker for a good deal at the sale barn and will purchase other breeds. A recent example was 12 bred Red Angus mama cows owned by an elderly gentlemen farmer came through the sale barn last fall. They did not bid out very high. When they calved, two cows had twins. I made out like a bandit. grin

Any Red Angus in your area?

I can't think of anyone that has quite a few red Angus off the top of my head. I know one guy who has a whole herd of red limousine, which he says is pretty rare.

We usually buy our animals for the feedlot straight from the farm. We like to buy black, but if they're selling a few random breeds we'll take them if the price is fair. A quality animal that grows well is a the end goal.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There are several red herds here that I know of.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
speaking of which, I've made a far above average living surrounded by good lookin gals in their child bearing years Sammo

and yet there's days I'm jealous as hell of the life you lead.

I know it's got plenty of hard work and worry involved, I haven't completely forgotten how it goes

grass always seems greener on the other side, but I hope in the big pic you're happy with your choice Sammo.

I really wished I'd have stayed on the farm and helped my grandad until he passed. There'd of still been plenty of time for me to live the life I wanted.

Sam can pretty well guarandamntee you, watching you work the ranch probably buys your dad an amount of happiness that's hard to put a price on.

(at least that's how I hope it is)

I left the farm in 1973. Dad had some angus and white faced Herefords. He was pretty happy with them and they were good back to him. Unfortunately he passed in 1978 and the cattle were sold. There have been none on the place since then. I envy you guys who are still producing beef. It's a good life even if there are some worries and issues.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (222Sako, 16gage, 06hunter59, 22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,078
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.