Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So, the pre 64's I have owned before have either been custom barreled or collector grade rifles that one should not tinker with. I am now the proud and excited owner of a nicely refinished (so no longer collector grade) pre 64 Westerner in 264 Win Mag. It even came with two extra barrels, both of them very clean and fresh so this rifle is likely to be my deer and medium game rifle for some time to come.

I want it to shoot its best, and be more stable in bad weather than an unglassed pre 64 would be, but I am not a fan of plastic on a classic rifle like this.

My query is this, when glass bedding such a rifle with its extra recoil lug out in the middle of the forend, is it generally the best practice to glass the whole barrel channel including the forward lug along with the action area? Just the front and rear recoil lugs? Part or all of the action area?

I have glassed many rifles with usually great results, but never a pre 64 Model 70 that still had its original barrel and stock.

THANKS a ton in advance for the ideas and help here! Mark

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
just like nothing ever happened.

incredible.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm really curious why Rick has not banned his crooked ass?

I mean, guys like Take_a_knee and Bricktop get banned.....and I'm in no way sticking up for them, but they weren't actively involved in ripping off forum members; they were just obnoxious. Safaridouche is known to have committed fraud, even on our own members, yet he is still around.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rosco1
just like nothing ever happened.

incredible.

Quite predictable, actually.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I'm really curious why Rick has not banned his crooked ass?

I mean, guys like Take_a_knee and Bricktop get banned.....and I'm in no way sticking up for them, but they weren't actively involved in ripping off forum members; they were just obnoxious. Safaridouche is known to have committed fraud, even on our own members, yet he is still around.

Only one person can answer that question.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chapter 7 to Harleys and pre-64s 6 months later, just like that.

I wonder if any more old folks got conned on the way.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Maybe a couple of extra gall bladders got installed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by safariman
So, the pre 64's I have owned before have either been custom barreled or collector grade rifles that one should not tinker with. I am now the proud and excited owner of a nicely refinished (so no longer collector grade) pre 64 Westerner in 264 Win Mag. It even came with two extra barrels, both of them very clean and fresh so this rifle is likely to be my deer and medium game rifle for some time to come.

I want it to shoot its best, and be more stable in bad weather than an unglassed pre 64 would be, but I am not a fan of plastic on a classic rifle like this.

My query is this, when glass bedding such a rifle with its extra recoil lug out in the middle of the forend, is it generally the best practice to glass the whole barrel channel including the forward lug along with the action area? Just the front and rear recoil lugs? Part or all of the action area?

I have glassed many rifles with usually great results, but never a pre 64 Model 70 that still had its original barrel and stock.

THANKS a ton in advance for the ideas and help here! Mark

You need to bed both recoil lugs, so that they have even bearing surfaces. Remove some wood material around the lugs first, then use tape to center the barrel in the channel, then pour the epoxy for both lugs at the same time.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Dakota Deer, this is the type of useful information that I have come to expect here and offer up myself when I have knowledge, experience or expertise in an area of question or concern.

I will use your method and report back.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah - pretty sick stuff.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Dakota Deer, this is the type of useful information that I have come to expect here and offer up myself when I have knowledge, experience or expertise in an area of question or concern.

I will use your method and report back.

How about some tips on conning the elderly for a buck, or bankruptcy fraud?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Unbelievable.

You truly are a sick individual.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by GregW
Yeah - pretty sick stuff.
Yup.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As detailed and explained before, all it takes is one gullible SOB to give him what he seeks as far as affirmation, and all reality is null and void.

He's only back because a handful of fools fell for his/Sherri's lies. There are easy to ID, but there are likely more.

More telling is that Rick continues to allow a know con artist who has scammed people here, who has been found guilty of conning old people multiple times, who Rick has been notified of Mark's solicitations of others to commit federal firearms felonies, among other things...and yet he and his accomplice/wife are allowed to remain here.

That says a helluva lot, about a lot, when you think about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Surely a lifelong sociopath can be completely rehabilitated/remade in two short months. whistle
One of the smaller guys in his quartet likely told him he's good-to-go.

Well hello SEAN!

I still consider you a friend, and as such I am going to take your suggestion at the end of your comments quite seriously. I will be away from the 'fire for a while while I weigh all of this.And yes, I will be praying that God will, as the prophet said "Search me oh God, and see if there be any wicked way in me." I have been having this conversation with others as I prepare to embark on life, part two. Also the words here of Rick Menefee (Mark, do you see what you are doing here?") and a couple of others here.

There is an old saying "If one man calls you an ass, you can disregard it, if two or more do, start shopping for a saddle"

Then in the book of proverbs we are called fools if we disregard the council of a friend. I do not want to be a fool, or to be any longer seen as one who would be dishonest.

This stuff has to be fixed, and now.

I will be away from the campfire for some time, except to communicate with folks who I have deals pending with in PM's only.

I do not expect any one here to give me any room or credence to any of this, I will have to prove it. And, it will take time and experiences for you all to see. But I am going to work at this and seek wise council and input.

I am not angry, or mad, more contemplating than anything else.

I do have an awesome and amazing second chance at life here, got to do it right.

See ya'll a bit later. PM's welcome but I won't be posting for a while.

Blessings abundant,

MARK

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think any future fleecing will require a border collie.

All the gullible sheep are nekkid

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
I think any future fleecing will require a border collie.

All the gullible sheep are nekkid

Unfortunately, you'd be surprised. The "born again/repentant sinner" angle never fails to work on some. Add in an accomplice, and the pickings get easier.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bonnie and Clyde type stuff.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Maybe a couple of extra gall bladders got installed.

Steel balls as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.