Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter
the Secnar is most consistent?

Not speaking for Pat but what I have noticed with the Scirocco is that if you have projectiles from different lot numbers you pretty much have to rework load/seating depth to get your accuracy back... It's usually not much but a PITA none the less...

With the Scenar I have experienced that projectiles from different lot numbers have very lil change in accuracy if any at all... They seem very consistent from lot to lot...

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After spending some time at the range today, I came to the conclusion that the 156gr Sako Deerhead (norma oryx I believe) shot much better groups than the 140 gr accubond. Even the 139 gr PPU cheap stuff was outshooting the accubonds. I was more than happy with them and my nine year old was too. He is quite excited to chase moose next month and black bears next spring with it. I'll probably limit him to inside 100 yds and a broadside shot, but if that shot presents itself we'll be cutting one up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, bring sharp knives. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I haven't used the 156 6.5 Oryx nearly as much as the 7mm version, but the 7mm (and 180 .30) work well enough that I certainly wouldn't hesitate to head into the bear woods with rounds loaded with the 6.5 Oryx in the magazine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide

Not speaking for Pat but what I have noticed with the Scirocco is that if you have projectiles from different lot numbers you pretty much have to rework load/seating depth to get your accuracy back... It's usually not much but a PITA none the less...

With the Scenar I have experienced that projectiles from different lot numbers have very lil change in accuracy if any at all... They seem very consistent from lot to lot...

And, I've noticed SSII's can be COAL sensitive, seem to do better jumping a good bit. I've had groups shrink from 1 1/2"-2" to sub MOA by adjusting (increasing) jump.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

And, I've noticed SSII's can be COAL sensitive, seem to do better jumping a good bit. I've had groups shrink from 1 1/2"-2" to sub MOA by adjusting (increasing) jump.

DF

That's one of the things that's fascinating/frustrating about handloading. Few absolutes exist.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's variables and unexpected stuff that keep Loonies going... grin

If it was easy, anybody could do it... whistle

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Agreed.....I've found through the years, that the higher BC match bullets kill plenty well for me. A lot of this stuff is over engineered, and discussed through opinions without actual experience....Shot placement still trumps all of the other factors everytime in my humble opinion.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread reminds me of the common evolution of so many threads as it winds into a "this can, if" thread, where the many variables so often present in the field get 'played' by the trump card of bullet placement. What isn't so well communicated are the differences which various individuals might be exposed to and have to negotiate with varying degrees of experience and judgment. Stuff is only over-engineered if you can overlook these details.

Shot placement might be the hunter's trump card, but we don't hunt as if there are no other players at the table. Time, terrain, weather, and quarry also share the same card table, and they also hold trump cards - and none of them blink. Every hand is different, but a good hand is never a bad thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Shot placement might be the hunter's trump card, but we don't hunt as if there are no other players at the table. Time, terrain, weather, and quarry also share the same card table, and they also hold trump cards - and none of them blink. Every hand is different, but a good hand is never a bad thing.

I like this!

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The original post also specifically asked about being attacked by a bear, a situation which doesn't always allow precise bullet placement, or (perhaps) sufficient penetration with a lighter-jacketed bullet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thank you Mule Deer for resurrecting that part of my original question; being attacked by a bear. If i'm going after a grizzly on purpose i'm likely using my 9.3x62 though I could be persuaded to use a 6.5 with a properly constructed bullet and conditions more akin to my liking. But, when suddenly confronted by a big bear I want a bullet that is going deep and breaking stuff as it goes through.

Alan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's as bad as a damned lawyer……sheesh, focusing on the question at hand. Thread-killer! wink grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Geez, just because I can remember the main question in a post from almost three weeks ago....

Or was it three days ago? And what was the question again?

Guess I AM getting old!

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
laugh

Yep, you have a bad habit of messing up a perfectly good thread with FACTS... shocked

Hmmm... grin

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

My daughter will be shooting a moose this year with the 156 gr Norma Oryx at 3500 fps, should be a pretty good test for these tough bonded bullets, originally I had worked up a load with the 160 gr Woodleigh Weldcore at 3440 fps but the Oryx was a more accurate bullet in my 6.5 Prometheus, not concerned about bears on this hunt as it's a draw tag for cow moose in Nov Dec...... but due to the velocity of the cartridge I had to select the heaviest and toughest bullet available... I wish Swift Bullets would make a 150 gr Scirocco or a 160 gr A-Frame in 6.5mm ........

This photo does not show all available 6.5mm bullets, just some of what I have on my bullet shelf, figured I'd post it here so y'all can see the difference between the bullets.......... I did not include the HP target type bullets from Berger, Sierra, Hornady etc... Due to the nature of the original question

[Linked Image]]photobucket[/url]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Great pic.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When mono bullets are available, you don't have to worry about how tough a bonded one might be...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You also don't have to worry about them "opening too wide". (I realize that, based on my sometimes opining, that could be taken as a bad thing, but it isn't meant that way. smile )

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL. I was fishing, seems like I had a bite. LOL

Hear tell it froze a bit south of you the other morning for the first time this fall. Means you've been seeing that a bit already.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 12 invisible), 1,681 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.