-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Understood on that perspective; still, it's like giving money and ammunition to your enemy, even if it's to a lesser degree.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doc,

With whom are you hunting with in the Bubye?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If the airlines really wanted to make a point they wouldn't allow anyone to fly with firearms as checked baggage.

Wonder when Delta will not allow anyone that's had an abortion to fly...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Easy. First, Delta ain't the only game in town, and just like Emirates Air and SAA they will eventually rescind the ban on trophies. Second, get yourself a good expediter like Coppersmith or a bunch of others and they will take care of thngs. Lastly, and cheaper, have your trophies shipped by sea. Lots of folks do it.

This. My taxidermist here in west Texas works with a broker (don't recall the name) used by many many US taxidermists... might be Coppersmith, I don't recall... anyways, they were saying that lately they're using container ships for much of their shipping. Slower than air freight, but cheap and climate-controllable.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Doc,

John Sharp.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doc,

John Sharp.

I may have heard of him... grin

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Doc,

John Sharp.

I may have heard of him... grin

I expect you might have. grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Doc,

Sure hope your safari comes off as planned. I've had to cancel two Zim buffalo safaris, one because of severely unsettled conditions after one of Mugabe's "reelections," and one because my flight from Montana left on the morning of 9/11/2001.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good to hear its going through Doc....know you have been looking forward to it for a long while

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
United and American airlines just banned the shipment of "hunting trophies".

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Doc,

Sure hope your safari comes off as planned. I've had to cancel two Zim buffalo safaris, one because of severely unsettled conditions after one of Mugabe's "reelections," and one because my flight from Montana left on the morning of 9/11/2001.

JB, that truly sucks! I had a rough night on Monday after reading some of the "news" about Zimbabwe, I can tell you! However, by Tuesday morning my inquiries had revealed comforting facts.. but I had to face some hard realities the night before.

The facts are: I booked this hunt in January of 2012, after years of wanting to go and months of research into where I wanted to hunt, and with whom. I contacted better than 20 PH's by email to narrow my search options, and I "interviewed" my top 5 candidates at the Dallas Safari Club convention that year before settling on John Sharp and the Bubye Conservancy in Zimbabwe. I paid John in full some time ago. I bought my airline tickets some months ago. I have spent more than a year going through rifles to find the one(s) I will use to hunt African game. I have researched game biology, equipment technical matters, and even the political/historical milieu of soiuthern Africa in detail; all in order to squeeze the greatest possible benefit out of my hunting trip. I have made plans for photography and other records of the trip so that I might write about it afterward, to enhance and prolong the experience in my own mind and life, and to share it with others.

To have done all this, and then to see the very real possibility that it could be wiped away in a heartbeat by a social media firestorm, was gut-wrenching to say the least. And I have no illusions: it may still be taken away, by the same means or by other unforeseen circumstance.

But I have reached a place where I can deal with that, in part thanks to the wisdom of The Redhead. As she pointed out, "You have done everything you can to do this right. If it's taken away by something out of your control, you can still say you've done it right, and let it go." A wise woman, that.

Which is, of course, true of anything I (or anyone else) does in life. So much of what will be or will not be is out of my hands. All I can do is be sure that I do my part as faithfully to the things that I believe in as I can.

So. I'm hopeful that it will all come to pass as I've planned. But like everyone else I'll have to wait and see how it all turns out, no?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Best of luck to you Doc. I remember meeting you at DSC when you had booked that hunt. I'm hopeful for you as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doc,
Fingers crossed for you.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good Luck Doc. I hope it come off without a hitch. I'd go too if I had already paid for it. 163bc

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This incident alone illustrates the power of social media whether fact or fiction.
We all are being whip-sawed by the tweets and posts of a few morons with opposable thumbs and diminutive brains.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 01Foreman400, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 63 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,450
Posts18,471,039
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.