Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm 54.4 yrs old, and after 4 knee surgeries, and osteoarthritis gradually getting a bit worse, I'm thinking hard about a knee replacement(s). I've been getting a couple of rounds of synvisc injections every year, and cortisone injections 3-4 times per year for 4 years now. Curious as to the experience by those who've had it done....recovery time, results, misc thoughts, etc.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
My brother had it done at about your age.
He said it's the best money he ever spent, but the recovery immediately after and the phys therapy was tough.

Last edited by dale06; 08/04/15.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My wife is out visiting a life long friend of hers in the hospital right now. The friend had it done in January, and during the process ended up with a couple of staph infections now in the bone. She has been in some kind of care facility since then. The device was taken out a couple of months ago, infection still present. I am not sure what eventually is gonna happen, but they haven't been able to stop the infection. My wife has bad knees too. I don't think you could convince her at this point to go through with the surgery.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know a lady that had both done just before Thanksgiving one year after she finally got to the point of so much pain that she couldn't walk on her own. She was dancing (albeit slowly and gingerly) at New Year's. She said it was the best decision she had ever made.

And, yes, she had them both done at the same time.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My father had his done after many, many years of avoiding. His quality of life got so bad, that he couldn't even walk half a block because of the pain. So he stopped walking other than to and from the car, the couch, the kitchen, etc. He wasn't lazy - just in pain. When he had the surgery done, his legs muscles were so weak he ended up spending 4 weeks in a rehab facility to rebuild the strength in his legs.

Bottom line - don't wait until your quality of life is so poor. The whole point it to be pain-free and mobile afterwards.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 08/04/15.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Research and choose your Doc carefully.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mother in law (late seventies at the time) and cousin (56 at the time) had one done.

Biggest drawback for my cousin was severe pain post-op.

Two or three years later neither of 'em ever refer to their knees at all which is a measure I guess of how effective it was.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm 54.4 yrs old, and after 4 knee surgeries, and osteoarthritis gradually getting a bit worse, I'm thinking hard about a knee replacement(s). I've been getting a couple of rounds of synvisc injections every year, and cortisone injections 3-4 times per year for 4 years now. Curious as to the experience by those who've had it done....recovery time, results, misc thoughts, etc.

I'm 59, and went through a very similar scenario. Three surgeries (starting in high school), worsening osteoarthritis, cortisone injections with diminishing effectiveness (I didn't get the synvisc - the knee was too far gone). Finally decided that enough was enough, and had the replacement done last June. Yes, it was worth it, although it's taken a full year to really recover. The initial PT is pretty rugged, but I've been back to a "normal" exercise routine for the last 3 or 4 months. Still not sure how it's going to react when I get into the field this fall.

Last edited by PrimeBeef; 08/04/15.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Staph infection can come from ANY visit to hospital with surgery really. No big deal there other than pick carefully IMHO.

RE replacments, all I know, grandma had hers done 30 years ago or more. One at a time. First one she said therapy was so painful she kinda slacked.... the knee never was good as new.

2nd she didn't care how bad therapy was, she did it all and it was a great result.

Don't get to close to the campfire though... I heard those plastic knees can melt... LOL. Probably are not even plastic these days.

Only thing I would look hard at, life expectancy of replacement vs current age and expected age and quality of life etc... IE wait a few years and never have to have it down twice, I might consider...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 4ager
I know a lady that had both done just before Thanksgiving one year after she finally got to the point of so much pain that she couldn't walk on her own. She was dancing (albeit slowly and gingerly) at New Year's. She said it was the best decision she had ever made.

And, yes, she had them both done at the same time.

Been wondering about that too.

Also what you said rost.....life expectancy of the joint, as I certainly don't want to have to do it again.

My dad has his left replaced last year at age 79. He put his walker/cane/crutch down after 10 days and never picked it up again. He's doing great now, but this verified what I already knew about pops....he's the toughest man I've ever known.

Last edited by JGRaider; 08/04/15.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
My father had his done after many, many years of avoiding. His quality of life got so bad, that he couldn't even walk half a block because of the pain. So he stopped walking other than to a from the car, the couch, the kitchen, etc. He wasn't lazy - just in pain. When he had the surgery done, his legs muscles were so week he ended up spending 4 weeks in a rehab facility to rebuild the strength in his legs.

Bottom line - don't wait until your quality of life is so poor. The whole point it to be pain-free and mobile afterwards.

had both mine done one at 67 0ther just befor 69 .best thing i've done for my knees and back, no longer bowllegged less back pain.some pain and discomfort under the knee caps as they are removed during the op and take a while to recover . hard to kneel with out pads.

was driving before 4 weeks with the first 2 weeks for the second.
physio can be tough but thats where you learn that u have to endure some pain to progress, 5 sessions usually was enough 4 me and i was pretty good to go.can't start phy till scar is totaly healed and no pool exercises till scar is healed, keep clean --do what Doc says -- u should b good to go.

make sure that u have enough pain meds to do first 4 days and then reduce as soon as possibel . slept in my easy chair for a week and half ,couple of pee bottles so u don't have to get up at night.
Wife thats a loving nurse really help.

any more questions , PM me

good luck
norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had my left knee totally replaced by a good Surgeon.It was a year before I could do anything I wanted to do.The knee still bothers me,but not as bad as it was before.It aint the same as a real knee.Before the surgery,both knees hurt me.Now my right knee(Non surgery knee)is just fine.My opinion,it works but I am not thrilled about it.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dad had his a couple of years ago at 73. He waited too long to have it done but it's been a huge improvement. If you need it I wouldn't put it off.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by rost495

Only thing I would look hard at, life expectancy of replacement vs current age and expected age and quality of life etc... IE wait a few years and never have to have it down twice, I might consider...

Believe me, when it gets bad enough, the life expectancy of the replacement joint becomes a secondary consideration. If I wear it out and have to go through it again when I'm 75, so be it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My Mom & Dad both had one knee done, results/outcome was fine in both cases. I have had both hips replaced at the same time, I waited till the pain was so bad that oxycodone didn't have much effect. If I knew how well it would go, I would have done it much sooner. I did not even finish all the pain meds they sent me home from the hospital with. Modern anesthesia is so effective that you needn't fear the surgery, If you are experiencing pain post surgery you need to talk to your doctor. He has many different meds available to help control pain, he may increase your dosage or try a different medication. If the pain occurs during the time that you are going to rehab, remember take your meds a half hour before rehab and ice for 20-30 mins after. You will be given exercises to do at home, these are as important as the ones you do with your PT. Do exactly what they prescribe, no more and no less. Doing so is critical to a good outcome. Your doctor will tell you that you will be as good as you're going to get at one year post surgery. In my case improvement continued into the second year, mostly increased range of motion.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Dad had his done over the past two years. He is getting around so much better these days. If the doctor told me that it was in the cards for me, I'd do it and not look back.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Back in the 80's they were saying the service life of a total knee was about 10 years. However, when I had my total knees done ('05 and '06) they had found that the median service life for those 1980's prostheses was 27 years and growing. The prostheses they're putting in now are expected to last even longer. Mine have a Teflon bearing in them that can be replaced with minimal surgery (basically, a knee scope).

Basically, the new TKA's will outlive you.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
All I know is recovery times don't decrease with age.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Back in the 80's they were saying the service life of a total knee was about 10 years. However, when I had my total knees done ('05 and '06) they had found that the median service life for those 1980's prostheses was 27 years and growing. The prostheses they're putting in now are expected to last even longer. Mine have a Teflon bearing in them that can be replaced with minimal surgery (basically, a knee scope).

Basically, the new TKA's will outlive you.

That would be nice, and I hope you're right, but my surgeon was not so optimistic. 15-20 years is the impression I got.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Couldn't agree more SH.

Doc, what is a TKA? I take it that's the artificial joint? I also know to expect pain during therapy, as I've been through all that 4 times already and take it seriously. Were you guys able to get around decently after a month or so? I've got a trip planned for mid October.....30 yr anniversary thingy I better not bail out of.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,697
Posts18,494,224
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.