Print Thread
Hop To
A
Aught6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I haven't hunted ducks or geese seriously since the lead shot ban. Mostly due to the fact that I haven't found a recipe to make geese tender or ducks taste like anything better than a bad piece of liver. I have a wonderful mutt that is too birdy to waste. He is a 18 month old Cocker Spaniel/Labrador mix that hunts better than my prior pooch which was a well trained GSP. He's a SOLID 47 lbs, swims like a fish and is hell on upland game and retrieves like no other. The problem is me when it comes to waterfowl. If I won't eat it I won't shoot it. Please help.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
you simply can't do better, than to follow Julie Child's French version of roast duck with apples and sausages

http://home.surewest.net/sjdomen/Surewest-2/Recipes/Dinner/RoastDuckSausage.htm

Sam......

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Go out in the pasture and get a good dry cow patty soak in water,wine, whatever cook duck and goose on low heat on grill for about 8 hours,throw the duck and goose away and gnaw on cow $hit. hahahaha

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Aught6,

If you want to cook waterfowl more than one way, you might want to pick up a copy of DUCK & GOOSE COOKERY by Eileen Clarke, published by Ducks Unlimited in 2001. It's out of print now but Amazon has both used and new copies, and the customer ratings are all 5-star.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I recently cooked a duck breast dinner with advice and guidance from the good folks here on the cooking forum. After that I was sent a link to this page with a recommendation to look and use it as a guide in future. It has some amazing recipes, and a ton of information and tips, on game and fish of many descriptions.

http://honest-food.net/

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Goose breast can be a delight, it morons that don't know how to hunt or cook them, and the stellar ones brag about it.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The key with any red fleshed game bird is not to treat it as poultry. I only eat the breasts rest gets boiled up for the dogs. The breasts get cooked like beef. Of course a little extra prep is needed. My favorite way to cook ducks and geese is to cut the breast into strips the long way about 1/2" thick. Then I poke the strips with a fork several times. Work your way up and down the the strip a couple times poking a line of holes.

Next marinate. Can of coke couple tablespoons soy sauce four or five cloves of garlic crushed and some black pepper. Marinate for at least four or five hours to over night. Ducks don't need as long as geese. Once they marinate drain them and dry thoroughly. Thread couple strips onto skewers. Grill them over a very hot grill preferable natural lump charcoal. Don't cook too long couple three minutes a side at most. DO NOT cook past medium med rare is better. You only need to turn them once. If you like you can brush them with a teriayke sauce as they come off the grill. Everyone that has tried these thinks they are beef or maybe venison.

Another great recipe is to freeze the breasts. Don't freeze solid just want them kind of icy and firm. Use a sharp knife cut very thin slices across the grain. Marinate for about an hour in soy sauce and t a bit of sesame oil couple cloves chopped garlic black pepper. You can use the slices a couple ways. Use as you would use beef in a stir fry or any chinese type beef dish such as beef and broccoli. Cook hot and fast. Next thing to do with same meat is again cook hot and fast. Then get some flat breads or pitas. Makes a great sandwich. Top with whatever you like. You can also do a marinade of olive oil garlic and Greek spices and come up with a damn good gyro stand in.

Kind of an odd one is to do schnitzel. Use duck or goose instead of veal. Pound the breasts down to about a quarter to of an inch working the edges out so you end up with a decent sized cutlet. Dust in flour then into milk and egg then bread crumbs. Fry fast in butter want to crisp them up but keep them barely cooked on the inside. Serve with some spaetzles a bit of red cabbage excellent meal.

Final thing is fajitas. Again very thin slices. I usually just marinate in a bit of oil with any packaged fajita seasoning and a bit of lime.

Really you can do most anything. Just treat as beef. Marinating and hot fast cooking and not over cooking are the keys. Cooking technique will do more for ducks and geese than the seasonings you choose.

As for roasting. I have yet to have wild or domestic duck or goose that I really like. I will eat it but will prefer it cooked like beef.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice.

I like bacon wrapped duck breast on the grill .. provided you don't over cook it. All good.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
I recently cooked a duck breast dinner with advice and guidance from the good folks here on the cooking forum. After that I was sent a link to this page with a recommendation to look and use it as a guide in future. It has some amazing recipes, and a ton of information and tips, on game and fish of many descriptions.

http://honest-food.net/

This website is amazing for game. I won a signed book at a MDF event and it is a great read.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really like duck and dressing. I think that it makes the best dressing out there. Of course I am talking about cornbread dressing. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Nice.

I like bacon wrapped duck breast on the grill .. provided you don't over cook it. All good.

I do the same. Slide a slice of onion, Apple or better yet jalapeño against the duck then wrap in bacon. Don't go past medium on the duck tho.

A
Aught6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks all for the tips. Time to go ahead and buy my state and fed waterfowl stamps. The pooch is happy with anticipation.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
See my reply for corned goose here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6921781/Re:_What's_the_best_goose_reci

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry that my duck and goose recipes are all conventional.

Such cooking methods are limited is scope, prepare, season, baste heat/cook. About the only room for any flexibility is in the varieties of seasoning. All of the rest is same, same.

Here are some links.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...2i30.0.0.1.96094...........0.y4FfxXOz8J8

The U Tube video's of cooking a Wild Goose are pretty good. I like one of them - roasting. Simple and basic. Lots of basting with lemon juice, cognac and bourbon. Sea salt. Garlic. Breasts removed, carcass, thighs, legs in the oven 40 minutes at 350 degrees, then add in the breasts to not overcook them.

And on the BBQ. Lots of brining and seasoning. Seven different types. That recipe is similar to the one I read in American Rifleman. Those spices and condiments will cost $4 to $5 each around my parts thus $28 to $35. Traditionally I usually only utilize a small portion of a bottle and the rest sits in my cabinet for years and eventually gets tossed.

About the only geese I have access to are the Canadian honkers. Pretty much gave up on those. Neither I nor family ever developed a taste.

There is quite a spread in varieties of ducks. Some of those that feed heavily on fish are so strong that they are almost unpalatable. Note that domestic duck is one of my favorites however.

Only other thing I can suggest is Eileen's sausage recipes. 50% goose/duck/50% pork shoulder with fat.

I suppose it is pride that drives a hunter to want to eat his game, and rarity. You just can't buy that stuff in any restaurant other than some that specialize in farm raised wild game that is not under the State game laws.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 08/07/15.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,628
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.