Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guys n Gals;

If you have been reading my posts you will see that I am significantly disillusioned with Internet Explores and it's cabal of parasites. I have had it up to the eyeballs with the whole dysfunctional provider in Windows 8.1.

Today I took the offer to download the free Window 10 trial version. It may have bugs but they want feedback as to problems and performance. I'm a very old hand at this and can deal with everything.

I downloaded the free Win 10 and it took upwards of 3 hours. Now I am zipping around in excellent fashion. Better that Firefox and Google Chrome.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...i10l5.0.0.0.4802...........0.7wlBL9FSO5c

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 08/05/15.
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Did you turn off all the data mining functionality that comes embedded in Windows 10?

It virtually records every key stroke and reports it back to MS.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The file history was disconnected.

Win 10 isn't doing very well today. Sluggish. But so was Firefox.

It will take a few days to see if Win 10 is really any better.

I note some articles calling Internet Explorer unflattering names.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you have the dreaded pebcak virus...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep, yep!

But I have powerful medicine that cures that - Bacardi Black Oak rum !!

I'm sure not alone in problems. Huge numbers of others are also complaining too vociferously and long time.

It's rather disquieting for me to speak to two different Guruaid hired problem solvers and get two completely different answers. One says it's the website and the other says it can't be the website otherwise Firefox and Google Chrome would also be slow and sluggish.

I looked at many suggestions about otherwise software and decided against it. Too many gimmicks and innuendo.

I stay with Norton and Guruaid, the proclaimed official trouble shooters for Internet Explorer.

The major mystery is why is/are the hunting forums the ONLY place on the website giving trouble while all other areas work just fine. The predominant aspect is the seriously over abundance of pop up ad's. I get the message "long running script" meaning that IE is struggling to cull and cope with so much volume.

I read too that Windows came out with 10 to put an end to Internet Explorer. It had a well known tarnished reputation for problems and unfavorable impressions.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update:

My new Win 10 was a little bit better today but certainly substandard and not acceptable.

Thus I decided to download Adblock. I can't really see that it has done anything at all to block the pop up ads on this hunters forum. There was a slight improvement in speed but still far below Firefox.

I keep on getting these messages, "not responding" and "long running script". These are actually false positives out of sync and time. Waiting long enough these clear and process to changes. The time taken is very excessive and objectionable.

Internet explorer isn't all that fantastic otherwise on the general browsing. Now coupled with the deluge of pop ups swamping the hunters forum IE is apparently at the bottom of the pile for performance. Just pathetic.

No sense in pounding ones head against a rock pile. My simple solution is to throw in the towel on IE for navigating this forum and simply use Firefox and/or Google Chrome.

Just to be tenacious if anyone has more proven solutions I would welcome the information with thanks.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update:

I decided to run the free "adblock" software. It's apparently a temporary fix with the usual sales gimmickry come on to sign up and send money for a permanent annual or semi annual contract. It had a pop up satellite accomplice along too pop up-ing trying to pick my pockets for money. *( Be warned, these charlatans are very tricky. Look before you leap ).

I downloaded, installed, booted back up several times and waited _________________________ !!!!

Something good happened !!!!

I'm accessing rapidly, in IE, zipping around speedily and in good competition with Firefox !!

It appears on the surface that my Norton, which I pay for annually, and my Guruaid, which I pay for annually, didn't detect nor fix the problems of sluggish unacceptable performance on the 24 hour campfire hunters forums.

I won't rush to judgment. I'll wait some more for changes that are unexpected.
----------------------------------------------------

Another addendum:

Now some time has passed since installing software. The pop-up ads are gone, no more. It seems to have kicked in. I'm zipping around all over speedily again.

Really looks more and more that the popups and IE combo are the real culprits.

But give it some days to see if it changes again.

Another update:

Overnight. This morning logged on in jig time. Browsed from section to section in Hunters Forums rapidly and without pop up ads.

Apparently the "adblocker" soft ware did it's job.

So the conclusion sill holds, at least for now:

1. Internet Explorer is lousy. Poor performance.

2. The blizzard of ad's on the forums was indeed crippling. The messages showed "website not responding " and long running scripts". These were false, premature messages however, in one respect. Eventually they would clear and move on but as soon as there was some other post opened it was back to the same stalls and sluggishness.

Now I will surely pay the piper. Windows 10 will time out the freebie's later and ask me to pay up. And so will "adblocker".

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 08/07/15.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update 08/08/2015:

Latest check is that I am zipping around all over the forums speedily and trouble free with NO pop up ads. That's in Internet Explored MSN, Windows 10 with adblocker.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
08/09/2015

A day later. Perfect.

Zipping around speedily in IE. MSN - no problems.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 08/08/15.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Another day, holding fast.

Zipping around speedily in Interne Explorer, MSN. NO problems.

To recap:

#1. I downloaded windows 10.

#2. I ran adblocker

Not sure #3 is pertinent but I also cleaned out cookies.

IC B3

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.