-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MagMarc - "I want one of these! " AMEN...is it too late to add this to my Santa list? Homesteader

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Homesteader
bea175 - so, you can speak German but not Swedish? LOL - have them both...like meatballs and sausage. Homesteader

If i don't want to hunt with my 7x57 , then i will use my 6.5-06

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I obviously misinterpreted your reply to have a condescending/sarcastic edge, which is why I apologized, so as to be in sync with the fifth tenet of the BSA Law.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I built a 6.5x55 for a birthday present to one of my Good Doctor buddies and he loved it. I built myself the 6.5-06 because brass for the 30-06 and 25-06 was easier to come by. If given the choice I just prefer my 7x57 over both 6.5 rounds.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Don't tell Ingwe & Revmike,but,thinking of getting another 7mm Mauser.

That'll be 3-7mm Mausers just one behind the 4-.270's in the gunsafe.

Maybe a Winchester Super Grade Fwt/lightweight or another Fwt.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jwall;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust things are as you'd hoped they'd be down in Arkansas.

As it's Sunday and I am getting ready to head off to morning services, I was going to be good and not stir the pot any further here.

Somehow though it would appear this is one of those Sundays where I'm in need of a tuneup as I'm not resisting well.... wink

Here's been our experiences with both rounds on local whitetail and mulie bucks.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ssue_Damage_-_.270_vs._6.5x5#Post9248055

Finally my velocities in a 6.5x55 with a 21" barrel using 120gr TTSX has mirrored those that JB posted.

All the best to you in the upcoming week sir, good luck with your Swede whichever way you decide and good luck on your upcoming hunts too.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With best regards to you, Dwayne, and I apologize for my bodily reaction to your posted thread of the dry heaves.

As it mentiones the .270 Winchester where I expected the 7x57, I trust you will excuse my weak constitution.

Mind over matter let me circumnavigate the shortcoming and to my benefit, I found your thread most insightful and informative, as I have come to expect from you.

;-)

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good Afternoon BC (Dwayne)-

Thnx for the link to the other discussion.

And yes if my Swede will do +/- 3000 with 120 with accuracy I will be a happy camper.

SINCE the 6mm R with 100 gr will do 3100---

and

the 270 W with 130 gr will do 3100---

. . the 6.5 Swede OUGHT to do 3100 with **115s** SO I'll be happy with 3000 fps WITH 120s.

I'm glad to know your results are similar to M Ds, that gives me more hope. I am ONLY waiting for the heat to break to do load development and grouping. I do have time, since our 1st M G season doesn't open till @ mid Oct.

Best of luck to you and yours.

Good Shooting & Hunting

Jerry (3100 guy) Grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I would have to with a 7x57, they are just cool!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ready;
Thanks for the reply sir, it's been too long since we've chatted and I hope your fine family is doing well.

I do apologize for mentioning the unmentionable to you when you were expecting a more traditional round. blush

When we first moved to BC two of the rifle/shooting mentors that I fell in with were absolute zealots when it came to being disciples of Jack. The ribbing I used to get for hunting with a .30-06 and allowing my wife to shoot a .308 were merciless and unending. laugh

I actually told another shooting buddy that I'd not hunt with or shoot a .270 while either one was alive, but was forced to recant as after one of them had passed on, the other declared I needed to hunt with a .270, giving me the barrel. He was so anxious that I should have one that we screwed it into a Mauser action I happened to have right then and there!

Anyway I'm sure I had the worst example of a barrel/twist/length/bad karma in that cartridge that ever was.

Before leaving the subject though Ready, I must tell you that after this second friend passed on his son offered me a very nice VZ24 with a brand new, unshot 7x57AI barrel on it - a Shilen at that - for a reasonable price, but for whatever reason I passed on it.

I have few doubts that if I'd started out fooling with a 7x57 instead of the Swede round I'd have been almost as satisfied..... wink

All the best to you all for the remainder of the summer days Ready and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/17/15.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

I have 4 and am thinking of adding a fifth...if I can talk my BIL out of it reasonably. It's a Cabela SG with beautiful wood. I'd change the bottom metal from aluminum to steel, add irons, and perhaps slim down the fore-end and add a barrel swivel stud; although I generally shoot with a sling and like a rifle to ride a bit higher than most do with barrel swivels, so am not sure about modifying the fore-end. But there you go.

By the way, to the OP's question: I don't have a Swede but have a .260, and it'll scoot. But with .284 bullets available from 100 to 180 grains, I'm not sure I see much need for either. But that's just me.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Reason is starting to take over impetuous gay emotion!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
behold, a .270 Ingwe on the left, the parent case on the right...

[Linked Image]

I wonder how that thing would actually shoot.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
behold, a .270 Ingwe on the left, the parent case on the right...

[Linked Image]

I wonder how that thing would actually shoot.

Perish the thought! cry

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey Rev!

According to sales RECORDS ----

not nearly AS WELL as the 270 W ! ! shocked grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Not yet; but if Winchester could get Ingwe to endorse it - you know, show him in Namibia killing stuff with it like they did with Dave Ommanney - I expect sales would skyrocket.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
ha ha ha ha: ! ! !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
Not yet; but if Winchester could get Ingwe to endorse it - you know, show him in Namibia killing stuff with it like they did with Dave Ommanney - I expect sales would skyrocket.

They would of course, especially in the gay community.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well --- who is it that wears a leopard skin thong and according to a RELIABLE source thinks he has 'socks' in the thong.....

AND shoots a 270 and 7X57 ? ?

Sounds like an 'either way' shooter to me!

grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
jwall - "... who is it that wears a leopard skin thong...". Wait, I know... THONGMAN !!! Faster than a speeding bullet, gayer than Batman & Robin and uglier than Wonder Woman...etc. etc. etc. Only the Shadow knows... Homesteader.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,648 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.