-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi pointer, I'm just not finding many hickory trees with nuts. They are starting to hit the pecans down in the Wabash bottoms though. Got 3 grays this morning before I called it a day. There just aren't too many people that squirrel hunt anymore around here. Most of them I see are old bald headed guys like me.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Thomas Jefferson
GB1

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
260AIS, I can relate to that. Other than my son 2-3 times a yr. coming up from Indy, I hunt squirrels by myself. I have one buddy, in his sixties[like me], that goes a couple times, but 99% of the time, it's just me. On the positive side, it's real easy to pick up good places to squirrel hunt. They just look at ya funny, and say help yer self! laugh I got probably in excess of 30 woods I can squirrel hunt.

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mike...I know a squirrel hunter that might be heading that way...... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe

Git yer fanny back here, and after 2-3 days of limb chicken hunting, you won't need yer motel.....just sayin'......if ya kin hittem...... whistle grin

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nine more days until season opens here in Alabamey. Like kids waiting for Christmas! Weather forecast looks cooler around that time, which will be nice.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by maddog
Originally Posted by ingwe

Git yer fanny back here, and after 2-3 days of limb chicken hunting, you won't need yer motel.....just sayin'......if ya kin hittem...... whistle grin

maddog

Be careful what you wish for....I got an invite from a cousin in Ohio who is loaded with squirrels, and my sister lives in between you two...I could kill two birds with onestone....and a bunch of skwerls.

What time is best there Mike?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I personally love Oct. Even the woods that have bowhunters, I can hunt during the week. If you are talking late in the season [ie: Dec./Jan.], it's all weather driven. Skip November, deer season. Let me know.

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
10-4...I think that pretty well coincides with Ohio...

Ill keep you posted.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My son and I hit it this am, for a couple of hrs. Really warm and muggy. It was my son's only second chance to go, because of work. Otherwise I might have stayed home. My shooting was awful. Shot at three, and nailed one. I'm blaming it on the weather, foggy glasses, etc whistle grin

Mine.

[Linked Image]

Dan's three.

[Linked Image]

This is gonna be it til it cools off.

maddog

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by maddog

This is gonna be it til it cools off.

been waiting for that also; temps hit 100 here today, but by next weekend, forecast shows a morning low of 60...thinking i may hit the woods.

============================================================

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Looks like a good shooting stick.

Quite a while back I asked what people used to steady their shots in the woods -you showed that stick back then -I just thought maybe it had evolved a little. smile

I can get all the cane poles I want around here - might try and build a light weight cane pole shooting stick.
Thanks -Mike

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
The only "evolvement" it's gonna get is a new paint job on the top bolt! grin

maddog

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Maddog, what's your favorite way of cooking them so they're nice and tender? I usually boil them forever but I'm looking for something different. Been thinking about a pressure cooker. Ever try that?

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You gotta check out Mikes limb chicken chowder recipe!
The BEST soup in the WORLD!

BTW MIke,not gonna make it this year...too much other travel.... frown

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for!

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
ingwe, I'll shoot a basket full in your honor....you can thank me later.....grin

Yes, a pressure cooker works great. I marl all my squirrels for the freezer either young or old. When I get enough old ones, I cook em, bone em, and put them in a baggie, and back in the freezer for future use....limb chicken chowder, squirrel pot pie, BBQ squirrel, etc.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
RS308MX, here is the thread on the squirrel chowder recipe.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...94/Fantastic_squirrel_recipe#Post6855994

maddog

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks maddog!

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Mama took off to see her grandson, this weekend, so I got out this am, to do a little hunting. Hit a couple places down on the river, that are my grey squirrel woods. Saw a bunch of the lil boogers, but they were either bouncing through the tree tops, or were across ravines I couldn't navigate. Still, I managed to red head one little dummy, when he hesitated on the side of a tree, a might too long. grin This is my 1st. grey this year. I'm going back to the same places tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You guys are killin' me....

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,716
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.