Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
NICE!!! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good to see somebody is finding critters; weather was bad windy last weekend and today, and I didn't happen to see any squirrels at all. At least I won't have to worry about running out of ammo....... crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My kids schedule and domestic duties haven't allowed me to get out! Grrrr... I'm thinking I will over the Holidays.

Jamison- Now that suppressors are legal in IN, I so want a suppressed .22 for that very reason. Couple of stands I sit would be FUN with one of those.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Jamison, nice work and cool photos. I do a bunch of mixed game hunting myself. Can't stand to sit in a stand, so usually end up toting a rifle for one and a pistol for the other. Wish someone made a .30-30 over .22.

Hadn’t been out in too long, so played hookey from work yesterday morning. Glad I did. Last couple times in the woods were slow, but they were moving around, maybe because it rained the day before. Shouldn’t have picked up coffee on the way, as I had bad shooting jitters. Finished 6-15 (had to reload!), all but one headshots, and was out of the woods by noon. My kind of morning.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got out this afternoon to hunt on my land for a while. Spotted one squirrel, nailed it when it got to within 30 yards with a Federal 712 hvhp. phone picture not very good focus.
[Linked Image]

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
PN, nice shot. Is that a squeaker call? Any luck with it?

Ella

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a combo call, squeaks and barks. The only luck I ever have with it is to get squirrels barking some to see if any might be in the area. Rare to get any to come closer that I know of.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I used one of those made by Olt back in the day. It worked so damn good I only used it out hunting once..it took all the sport out of it.
I didn't know what I was doing so Id use it to bark at a passing squirrel. He would invariably answer with a series of barks and I would mimic him. Apparently they don't like to be mocked cause it would infuriate them and they'd come within a matter of feet, barking and lashing their tails. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunted all afternoon, but only found one squirrel, and it was a long shot. I first estimated 75 yards and held over 2" for that distance, but the shot went too low and slightly to the right, more wind than I'd first thought. The squirrel jumped and ran up the closest tree as dirt flew just underneath. I added more holdover and into the wind a tad and dropped it with the second shot. Paced off 80 long strides to where it lay, so somewhere close to 80 yards. When I picked it up, I saw TWO wounds, one through one of the back legs; the first shot either glanced off the ground and struck it, OR it hit the leg and the dirt I saw flying was behind it. Better photo this time, used the Nikon instead of cell camera.
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
beautiful wood on that rifle, nice shooting as well.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[Linked Image]Untitled by Chris Jamison, on Flickr
Ended up with 4 yesterday... This was the first. I'm working on getting the PWS Summit T3 tuned in--Its pretty picky about ammo.
The best thing is that it is 5# 15oz with scope and sling...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It rained all morning, then let up late afternoon; I took the Kimber and went through the woods on the south end of our land and found one shortly.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thats a beautiful Kimber!!

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Found one squirrel this afternoon, while carrying the Evanix Renegade AR6 PCP air rifle; first one I've managed to get in a while with the air rifle, just had not been having any luck when I had the PCP with me.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been out hunting three times since the last post, and have not seen a single squirrel. frown

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I haven't been squack hunting in a few years. I might just go this weekend. Last time I went I killed six out of one tree in about a minute, it was a couple of years ago in october, With a shotgun though... I do love hunting them with a semi .22 with open sights and I have a .22 mag bolt gun with a new scope I really should shoot. I bought a savage 24 after wanting one for 30 years and it needs a little woods time too. Looks like I need to squirrel hunt more often.

Really like all the pics. Wish I could post them.

Any of you guys have black squirrels? We have mostly grey but some fox squirrels in the mountains.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deer and duck season winding down fast so back to the fun stuff. Tried to find some "hardball" .22 mag, no luck. Still got a few.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
seal, of course here in Wy. we only have the little reds, and a few fox squirrels in town.. I used to hunt fox squirrels quite a bit when I first retired.. Spent a good bit of time in W. Va. They were really a blast to hunt.. The last I shot, I used my little .22 Hornet and made headshots.. Those woods were very open with only mature timber..

You mentioned black squirrels.. Everywhere I have hunted, they were pretty rare.. But my wife is originally from the Straits area of Mich.. When we visit her children there, there are tons of black squirrels.. There they out number the greys.. Never saw a fox squirrel there.. Sometime I would like to hit that area, when season is on.. Never bagged a black squirrel..

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wyo: check the cottonwood bottoms north of Lovell, towards the lake wink

Loads of fox squirrels........

Trust me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Property I hunted up until a few years ago had a good many black fox squirrels. Here are a couple, along with a "panda" squirrel I killed there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,295
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.