Print Thread
Hop To
W
Wyogal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Federal Duck Stamp costs $25.00 this year, bummer. Cost of everything hunting gone up. Just nickle and diming me to cutting corners in everything else. Well, at least this year will be a hunting year. Don't know about next year. Maybe a big yard sale.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
A local gal here in WNY painted the painting that graces this years stamp.

http://www.featherdust.com/

W
Wyogal Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Wow, well that's pretty neat. Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
$25 in today's money buys what $15 bought in 1991, the last year the duck stamp price increased. I don't like it costing more either, but we need to at the very least keep up with the cost things or you'll see less and less ducks in the sky.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fewer hunters+increased prices to manage areas+more pressure to get money to fund other "social" programs (esp. with this administration mad) = an increase in fees.
It's been quite a while since the price of duck stamps went up; I remember when they were $5. They went up to $7.50 and then IIRC they went up a year or two later to $15!!! Been there for a long, long time.
I usually buy two stamps every year: one for hunting, and one I put away in the safety deposit box for my grandkids I hope to have some day.....not only might they be worth something some day, but hopefully the money spent now will ensure that they have someplace to hunt waterfowl should they desire to do so.

Also, is it just me or are the stamps themselves getting harder to find? I used to be able to get one at just about any federal post office; now there are only a few in my area that carry them, and usually not until the start of the hunting season.

Last edited by 16gauge; 08/16/15.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Bay_Dog
$25 in today's money buys what $15 bought in 1991, the last year the duck stamp price increased. I don't like it costing more either, but we need to at the very least keep up with the cost things or you'll see less and less ducks in the sky.

There is no relationship between number of ducks and price of the stamp.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dla

To this I say "BULLSHIT!!" The duck stamp monies are used to purchase/maintain lands that are used for waterfowl production....less land = less ducks; it's as simple as that! With costs rising, it takes more money to buy the same amount of land as it did 25 years ago.....

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16gauge
Also, is it just me or are the stamps themselves getting harder to find? I used to be able to get one at just about any federal post office; now there are only a few in my area that carry them, and usually not until the start of the hunting season.

I've seen the same trend around here; the local "city" post offices either don't have them or have very few. I buy mine now at the little hamlet size post offices in the country. In fact I will begin looking for one this week - can't ever seem to find one if I wait to the last minute.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The PO in our little tiny town has them as soon as possible every year. $25 is a cheap price for preserving and increasing waterfowl habitat also used by other wildlife.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The orice increae has another benefit. It will likely keep the duck dynasty/ rock star "waterfowlers"-use that term loosely- out of the marsh and off the water

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
As long as the money goes to the ducks I don't mind paying extra.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
hell of an increase thats for sure,no matter where it goes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$10?

We are all saving that in gas right now.

Not a big deal.
We had a good run a 15 for years.

Have Dog

Will Travel

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 16gauge
Originally Posted by dla

To this I say "BULLSHIT!!" The duck stamp monies are used to purchase/maintain lands that are used for waterfowl production....less land = less ducks; it's as simple as that! With costs rising, it takes more money to buy the same amount of land as it did 25 years ago.....

Nice thought, but not true. They aren't raising the price of the stamp to buy land. Therefore no relationship exists between the price of the stamp and the number of ducks.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A very little effort will answer your questions about where the duck stamp funds are used.

http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/Info/Stamps/stampinfo.htm

The duck stamp is a great way to invest in the future of the hunt and I am more than happy to contribute.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I'm OK with it as long as it is used to manage flocks and local wetlands. I live duck hunting so much that I would probably pay $100, I know that sounds crazy but this is the closest thing I have to a drug addiction!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought my first waterfowl stamp in 1960. I think I paid $3. for it. There are a lot more ducks now, then there were then. I think its one thing were the money was well spent.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 59 invisible), 3,073 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.