Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Going to have to take down a Plum tree and probably a Peach tree in the yard. Neither one is huge, but could get 1 or 2 cookings off of each.

Is either one useful for smoking pork? I think I've heard of people using peach wood, but not sure. Have no idea on using the plum..

Thoughts.?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes. Any fruit wood is good for smoking. I like apple best, but I have used plum and pear with good result.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Should work real well.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Peach works just fine for pork.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
On the next trip to the farm I am going to cut up a bunch of alder about an inch thick from some 2 to 4 inch rounds and bring them back for smoking. Just soak them for an hour and add to a lump hardwood charcoal in my Brinkman. Then I am going salmon fishing.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Absolutely!! Both are great!

Best fruit wood I ever used was orange. Discovered it when Florida had one of their big infestations years back. They had to cut down everything regardless. Many restaurants used the good orange wood.

That was some good stuff!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
yep, it's all good. pecan (a variety or species of hickory), oak, and the various so-called fruit woods are all good.

interestingly pecan shells are good. I don't know about peach pits because I haven't tried them.

stuff in the rose family (Roseaceae) is usually hard to beat, in general.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

That Split piglets.?

Originally Posted by Scott F
Then I am going salmon fishing.

Sounds sweet, wish I had some here instead of salmon in a can.

Originally Posted by byc
Absolutely!! Both are great!

Doing some reading,..says plum, cherry, peach, apricot, apple etc. lose their flavor as the wood dries.

Any truth to that? As long as I've got hot coals going as a primary, can I throw green fruit wood on it for smoke?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I smoke all my salmon with either applewood or cherry. It's much better than alder and leaves good smoke flavor with no bitterness.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have used pear,peach,plum,apple and pecan wood and i have no complaints about any of them.

They just make stuff taste darn good.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have hundreds of persimmon trees on my land and I have heard it is good for smoking. Once the ticks die off, I am going to try some.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
I have hundreds of persimmon trees on my land and I have heard it is good for smoking. Once the ticks die off, I am going to try some.

Be sure to report back. On persimmon, I've read people either love it or hate it...

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
DW...Not real sure how anyone could honestly make that assessment but anything can be opinionated. While I can tell the differences in some wood smoke flavor not so much with fruit woods. Other than the orange wood, which I pointed out earlier I don't see where apple wood gives off an apple flavor. So on and so on.

Where I do see big differences are with non-fruit woods like pecan, which gives off a darker bark. Different flavor?? Not sure. Hickory, oak, mesquite Oh yeah! But general fruit woods not so much. Maybe that's just me. Although, I do find that certain woods do pair nicely with certain smoked foods.

I do stay away from green wood but that's my preference. I believe the smoke flavor from green wood is too intense. Kind of like bourbon and the woodiness.

BTW one of the first competitions we did was for an elementary school fund raiser. I screwed up and used poplar instead of hickory. Just before turn in a local farmer walked up to me and asked what I was doing with the poplar. Well I freaked. I was so busy with prep I had not even noticed what my bud brought from his farm to cook with. We placed 2nd overall. Go figure. BUT we never used poplar again. laugh

You're right on about some woods being bitter!! PLUS blue smoke bud! Blue smoke!!

Last edited by byc; 08/23/15.

Go Nats!!!!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Peach was always my favorite for pork when I was in OK. I would keep any good sized limbs that my uncle pruned off of his trees every year. I've not used plum, plum "trees" in my part of the state are about an inch in diameter at the base. Had good luck with persimmon the one time I used it as well.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I thnk they would both be great.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cherry first, then apple, and all other fruit wood follows, IMO. Nut tree wood works, too.

I tried some Russian olive and don't recommend it. whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lost 3 fair sized Almond trees last year.

The local smokeheads are pretty enthusiastic about the quality / flavor.

I'd have to agree.

There's a big PILE of very old seasoned Apricot here, that's up for grabs, if anybody's so inclined.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As others have said, they are both great. Plum seems to a bit stronger to me, but that is subjective.

And a no on the green wood unless you are camping, then any thing is better than pine or railroad ties!

Sean
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Lost 3 fair sized Almond trees last year.

The local smokeheads are pretty enthusiastic about the quality / flavor.

I'd have to agree.

There's a big PILE of very old seasoned Apricot here, that's up for grabs, if anybody's so inclined.

GTC

Would love to try Almond Greg. Just sounds great, Apricot as well.

Nice offer!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Put the shipping co-ords together via PM , and we'll get some pointed NE

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,830 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.