Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I weighed my rifle the other day and it flat floored me. Everyone here is talking 7-8 pound finished rifles. Mine weighs 11.2 pounds and that is a plastic stocked rifle. I have a Vortex 30mm scope, 1 1/4" super-sling, and ammo sock w/ 10 rounds of ammo on a EW Mod 70 in 270WSM.

So what does your hunting rifle weigh? Outfitted for a hunt. Scope, sling, extra ammo, bi-pod, etc...

It never really bothered me until I got into my 50's but me and my rifle are on a diet. I am mainly worried if most are like me or if I am just carrying to much. The ammo sock will be the first to go and I am looking at an Edge stock.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A couple of my main rifles are at least that heavy. However, I mainly hunt long range over bean fields. I like the extra weight to get steady and I also don't usually walk very far from the vehicle.

For those times when I do expect to walk any distance, I have a couple of Tikkas. Not sure of their exact weight either, but they are much lighter. I've never hunted in the mountains or at high altitudes, so super-light rifles have never been one of my top priorities.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Depending on which one of the four I use. 6.6lbs to 8.5lbs

Last edited by EZEARL; 08/24/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy a Montana or a Tikka SL.

BC mountain sling, talley liteweights, loopy 6x36, only carry 3 rounds in the mag.

You'll be happy around 7 lbs.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yup goin on a diet.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lose the bipod, too.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
130, That is what most of my deer rifles weigh.. I had a mt. rifle once, it lasted the first part of the season.. Too light for ME to hold steady.. I have a couple lighter rifles, one a 700 with a 21" barrel in 7mm-08 another in .300 Savage.. I suppose my 300WS is 8,5 or 9 #, but I bought i on a whim rather than a serious rifle..

I like a fairly heavy rifle with a good scope.. I have lighter ones but they are for specialized hunts.. At almost 70 I decided a long time ago,what worked best for me.. That is something each hunter must do.. For me< I have a bigger problem the rifles that are to light rather than too heavy..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
I weighed my rifle the other day and it flat floored me. Everyone here is talking 7-8 pound finished rifles. Mine weighs 11.2 pounds and that is a plastic stocked rifle. I have a Vortex 30mm scope, 1 1/4" super-sling, and ammo sock w/ 10 rounds of ammo on a EW Mod 70 in 270WSM.

So what does your hunting rifle weigh? Outfitted for a hunt. Scope, sling, extra ammo, bi-pod, etc...

It never really bothered me until I got into my 50's but me and my rifle are on a diet. I am mainly worried if most are like me or if I am just carrying to much. The ammo sock will be the first to go and I am looking at an Edge stock.

The edge stock will be nice on the EW. I had one (30-06) and it weighed 7 3/4 pounds all up with vx3 3.5-10x40 and ammo. I'd suggest buying a hunting vest with the ammo holders built in. Mine (that I've used for many years) holds 6 rounds and has always worked great. I've never had to dip into those, but it's nice to know you have them. Also, your vortex scope is a pig I'm sure. You should look into getting a lighter scope (and possibly mounts if you are not running Talley lightweights) as well. Swaro 3-9x36 or Leupold vx3 2.5-8x36 would be about perfect... Something of this nature:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yote Hunter, I hear where you are coming from and I love the rifle. I am going to pull the ammo carrier off and just live with the weight. I am looking at McMillian right now for a new stock - that should weigh less - but I have not wanted to give up my Bell & Carlson just yet. I like that stock, it fits me.

Just like "Tate" The components I have on the gun suit me and my hunts, I just was astonished to find out heavy it really was and how many years I have been carrying it that way.

Just to clear things up I do not have a bi-pod on it. I have a bigger scope than most (Vortex 2.5x10 Viper HS 30mm tube) and it is a full size rifle with a simple sling. I cannot imagine what the thing would weight with a wood stock.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My "deer" hunting rifle is this:

[Linked Image]

Old model 70 featherweight made in '57 chambered in 270 win. It weighs 8 pounds "all up"...

My elk rifle:
[Linked Image]
Old model 70 338 win mag. Weighs 8 pounds "all up" loaded with 5 rounds in it (yes 5).

My elephant rifle wink whistle :
[Linked Image]

10 pounds all up with ammo. 375 H&H made in 1954 (old model 70)...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The edge stock will be nice on the EW. I had one (30-06) and it weighed 7 3/4 pounds all up with vx3 3.5-10x40 and ammo. I'd suggest buying a hunting vest with the ammo holders built in. Mine (that I've used for many years) holds 6 rounds and has always worked great. I've never had to dip into those, but it's nice to know you have them. Also, your vortex scope is a pig I'm sure. You should look into getting a lighter scope (and possibly mounts if you are not running Talley lightweights) as well. Swaro 3-9x36 or Leupold vx3 2.5-8x36 would be about perfect... Something of this nature:

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the pic BSA. It is inspirational for sure. I own several Leopold VX scopes and may be buying a few more. The reason behind that particular Vortex was the super wide field of view. It is real nice in the timber of Oregon for these ol eyes.

Like it was said earlier, I guess it has a lot to do with trade offs.

What order would you put in for a stock like the one in the pic? I went to their website and there is a lot to choose from.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't see how you're getting 11+ pounds with that rifle and scope. Are you sure your scale is accurate? 7 lb rifle, 1.5 lb scope, mounts/sling/ammo carrier is another 1 lb?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dang dude, nice rifles. Heck the reloading bench too, I am building mine.

I found one of those belt ammo wallets for my pistol belt back up gun that should help carry extra ammo for the rifle. I never go anywhere without my .44

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cast10K
I don't see how you're getting 11+ pounds with that rifle and scope. Are you sure your scale is accurate? 7 lb rifle, 1.5 lb scope, mounts/sling/ammo carrier is another 1 lb?

Maybe not, used bathroom scale. I will use mama's meat scale when I get home to verify. After what I have just learned there may be something off with my weighing / lord I hope so.

Thanks guys for the education...........

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the pic BSA. It is inspirational for sure. I own several Leopold VX scopes and may be buying a few more. The reason behind that particular Vortex was the super wide field of view. It is real nice in the timber of Oregon for these ol eyes.

Like it was said earlier, I guess it has a lot to do with trade offs.

What order would you put in for a stock like the one in the pic? I went to their website and there is a lot to choose from.

I bought that one used from a member here. It is a hunters compact edge fill with 1" pachamyr decelerator pad. Color: Olive. aluminum pillars, sling swivel studs, factory 1 piece floor plate, not exactly what barrel contour used in the EW (maybe sporter????). If anyone else can help with the extra info I left out, please do. Thanks...

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For comparison purposes:

Rem 700 Classic, short action, BDL type bottom metal, full 24" Rem sporter barrel about .65" at the muzzle

250 Savage so there's more steel in the barrel than say a 30 cal

Factory wood stock

Meopta Meopro 3-9x42

Warne steel bases and (rather heavy) rings

Leather sling

Four rounds of ammunition

It comes in right at nine pounds. The stock suits me and the weight is distributed such that it balances very well and doesn't feel heavy in the hands.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This one is just under 7 1/2 pounds as pictured with sling, but no ammo. So, probably under 8 pounds with 4 rounds of ammo. I've found over the years that 7-8 pounds ready to go is my sweet spot. Anything heavier is a pain in the a$$ to carry all day and anything much lighter is no fun to practice with at the range.

Rem 700 ADL in .308 Winchester with 24'' barrel
McMillan Remington Classic bedded with Marine-Tex
Leupold VX-II 3x9x40 with LRD and BC flip-ups in Leupold dual dovetails
BC Mountain Sling

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jds44; 08/24/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A hunting vest? What's that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Here's my pretty pix..

521 yds off the pack.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Rancho, 7mm-08 or .308???

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have zero idea what mine weigh, and could care less. They damn sure shoot good though......

Tikka 695 7mmRemMagnificent Leupy VX6
HCR Harvester 7mmRemMagnificent Leupy Vx6
Tikka T3 7mm08, Leupy VX3
Nosler Patriot 7mm08, Nikon Monarch
Springfield A3 Sporterized 30-06, Weaver K6

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Rancho, 7mm-08 or .308???

7mm RSAUM

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Never would have guessed... You must like it seems like it works!!!

Molon Labe
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Mine are all 7.5-8.5 lb, with the old Rem 760 being the heaviest at 8.5 lb scoped. I don't like heavy scopes, and sure don't want to carry extra ammo on the rifle, that's what pockets or pouches are for. Same for the bipod.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My lightest is a Kimber 308 that is right at 6 lbs scoped +/- a couple of oz depending on the scope. Not my choice as an all arounder. I find 7.25-7.5 lbs with scope and mounts to be about perfect. I can tolerate 8 lbs, but any more is just unnecessary dead weight. I don't shoot a 10-12 lb rifle a bit better than a 7 lb rifle. Get down to 6 lbs and the difference is there.

This has become my go-to rifle. It is a model 70 EW in 308 set in an Edge stock, 7 lbs 5 oz as pictured.

[Linked Image]

The heaviest rifle I own. If I had optics on it the weight would be right at 8 lbs. So much for the myth of lightweight lever actions.

[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I cannot imagine what the thing would weight with a wood stock.

It would probably weigh less. It is a myth that synthetic stocks weigh less than wood. Some do, but most weigh the same or more. The B&C stock is one of the heavier synthetics, especially after you put a metal block in the middle of it for strength. The better synthetics don't need the metal inserts and can be 1/2 to 1 lb lighter than what B&C offers.

Even the standard fill fiberglass stocks made by McMillan are about the same weight as wood. You don't get light weight until you pay for kevlar construction like the Edge.

I also have one of the Winchester Classics in 300 WSM. An almost identical rifle to yours except without fluting on the barrel. In an Edge with a Leupold 3-9X40 in Talleys and PT&G bottom metal it is 7.5 lbs. You have a lot of room to trim weight.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Here is my M70 EW with a 30 MM scope and it was over 9 lbs just as it sat.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I put it on a diet with Talley LWT mounts, Leupold VX3 3.5-10X40 and McMillan M70 FWT stock with Edge fill. It now weights in at 7lbs 14oz with sling and a full 6 rounds of 130 grain ammunition.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by taylorce1; 08/24/15. Reason: Arrange pictures
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine is very heavy. Rifle, compact running game scope, mounts, sling, 5 cartridges very close to 9lbs. It has one redeeming feature. The fit is perfect I can basically mount the gun and shoot instantaneously. More important than hunting birds with shotgun in dense cover.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
the ones i pack the most range between 5.5# and 7.5# scoped.

============================================================

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Eight and a half pounds, unloaded. Ideal weight, IMO.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=Rancho_Loco]
Here's my pretty pix..

521 yds off the pack.

[Linked Image]

Were you wearing an Über vest.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I most often hunt with one of the rifles below. The '06 FW gets the most use. I do not use a bipod. FWIW I am 68.
I usually keep 2 rounds in the cuff, one goes in the chamber. I carry an extra scope cover in the cuff too.

1. 84L MONTANA,'06, 2.5-8X, IRONS-SLING-CUFF, 6#14OZ-E,
A. W/ 4+1; ADD 5 OZ, W/5 IN CUFF; ADD 5 0Z,

2. M70SS FW,'06, 2.5-8X, IRONS-SLING-CUFF, 7#14OZ-E,
A. W/ 5+1; ADD 6 0Z, W/5 IN CUFF; ADD 5 0Z,

3. M70SS CLASSIC,.338, 2.5-8X,IRONS-SLING-CUFF, 8#10OZ-E,
A. W/ 3+1; ADD 4.9 OZ, W/ 5 IN CUFF; ADD 6.15 OZ,

Hope this helps.

Gary

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
- 7mm Mashburn Super; M70 Classic action;Echols Edge;Krieger #2 24".Williams BM; 6x36 with Leupold DD's. Empty and no sling 7-14.

-Pre 64 M70 FW 270 barreled action;Hunter Compact Edge;2.5-8 Leupold. 7 1/4.

-Another but with Krieger #1 and Brown PoundR and 6X. 6 pounds 14 oz.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM

Were you wearing an Über vest.

Oh yes.. Fits right in here in Montana.

[Linked Image]

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sign me up for one if it comes with the boots.

7.5 ready to hunt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Tikka Superlite 270 Winchester
Leupold VX1 3-9x40 in factory rings
Loaded with 3 rounds in Magazine
6 pounds 13 and a half ounces

Same rifle but with loaded 5 round magazine
7 Pounds 1/2 ounce

With sling I made from lightweight 1 inch webbing and Uncle Mikes sling swivels add 2 and a half ounces.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
e h 130 -

IMO you are carrying TOO much. IMO that much weight just isn't necessary.

As to your ? about my rifle weight, Which One?

FROM - Tikka T3 SS 270 7.3 +/-

To - Rem 700 8mm RM 8.5

those are 'all up' weights, scope, sling, ammo. NO BIPOD

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.280AI 10 lbs field ready.

.243 Tikka T3 7 pounds field ready.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I am running 10.7# ready to hunt with my 338-06 - sling, 5 in the rifle, and 5 more in the stock pack. Most of my hunting rifles are in the 10.5-11 pound range as hunted...I am guessing Badger bases/rings and 30mm scopes make my rifles 'heavy' compared to the others in this thread.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Built one rifle that finished out at 11lbs even. It eventually went down the road. All of my current centerfire rifles run 7.0 to 9.0lbs. Most in the 7.5 to 8.5 lb range. As mentioned above, fit is at least as important as weight...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of the rifles I use for deer--all loaded with 3 rounds (even the No.1).....

Tikka T3 .308 with 155 Scenars and Leupy 6x36 with caps....6 lbs 14 oz

Tikka T3 .223 with 75 gr Amax and Bushnell Elite 10x with caps...7 lbs 4 oz

Ruger No.1 RSI with 175 Hornady RN and Skinner peep sight....7 lbs 6 oz

Ruger 77/44 with 300 gr CP and NECG peep...5 lbs 12 oz

I took the 77/44 for a combo Muley/elk hunt last year...what a joy that thing was to haul around the steeps! Awesome.

I can't hunt deer with rifle this year because I drew for bow (dumb Idaho rule) so I'm taking the .223 for antelope and haven't decided between the RSI and a No.1S in 9.3 for elk...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
8.6#

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Most of mine are between 7.5 and 8.25 lbs. which is about perfect for me striking a nice balance of carry weight/shootability.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
For hunting the big fields and pastures, I'll be using my freshly built SS 700 in 280 Rem. It weighs 11.5 lbs, all up. Any other hunting will be with my first gen Ti in 7-08. Not sure of its weight, but it's light!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The 2 deer rifles that I use the most are 6.5lbs scoped (belly empty, no sling). Have a few that are a hair below or above 6lbs, and several that are in the mid-7's. Have a .375 that is a couple oz's over 8lbs.

6.5lbs seems to be the sweet spot for me. Most of my hunting is wooded mountain sides with an occasional field edge in the valleys.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My Model 70 Extreme Weather .300 WSM with Leupold 3.5-10x40 unloaded no sling,no bipod, weighs in under 8 lbs. This is with the factory Bell and Carlson stock (that I re painted)

[Linked Image]

My el cheapo Remington 700 .308 ADL style with 3-9x40 Redfield weighs in at just over 7lbs. unloaded no sling and no bipod with a 21 inch barrel.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bob.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks a lot BSA for the info. I changed how I was weighing the darn thing and found my results to be off. The rifle was really at 9.6lbs with the ammo sock on it. I took it off and got down to 8.4lbs.

I am going to go with the ammo wallet described earlier and going to be very happy with the set up again. I cannot help it I just love Winchesters. I have had to work on some to get them to shoot but from what I have seen from here that is not that strange. I am also expecting these rifles to shoot better than most will accept.

I need my rifles to be forgiving because I am just not that expert Marine Corp Sniper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
30 naught 6

[Linked Image]

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have found that a scoped weight of 7 - 7.75lbs to be a great all around weight.

To the OP: You could get an Edge, but if your EW stock fits you alright, just drop all the accessories and order some PT&G aluminum bottom metal and trade your scope for a lighter Leupold and you will be way ahead as far as dollars per ounce and wait time.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

My Gen 1 Ti is right at 6lbs unloaded my heaviest is probably my Win 70 7wsm @ 8.5lbs unloaded.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 260 is at 8.75 lbs all up with 5 rounds, mag and Montana sling.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Subject to the fact that my deer rifle has changed each year for the past 5...I'll just go with my go-to carry rifle.

Remington AWR in 7mm SAUM, FX3 6x42 scope, Talley lightweights. 7# empty. (*Goat configuration)

With an VX6 2-12 it's tipping 7.5# empty.

The rifle I took to Africa is my Merkel K1 in 7mm RMag. FX3 scope. 6.5# with a round in the chamber.

Both are fantastic and both are superbly accurate.

In the Heavy-hitter category is my Merkel Helix in 9.3x62 with a Leica 2.5-10, weighs 8# empty.

Having said that I somehow have the Sako Carbonlight in 6.5x55 stuck in my head. I think I can get that down to 6# even with a Loopy Ultralight.

All of which is kinda silly because that extra half pound just means so much.

Last edited by rnovi; 08/29/15.

Hunt Africa while you can
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The one I pack around is an FN Mauser 93 7x57, Skel. wood stock, 19.5" bbl, 1.75-6 Leupold, Angle loc rings/Weaver bases, 9 rounds (160 gr. NPT) in buttstock carrier and leather strap is 7.612#. I have owned it since 1970 and would hunt most anything on the planet with it. However my 340 weighs about 10# full up!- Muddy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My rifles, with scopes and mounts:

30-06 Browning X-Bolt, 2.5-8x Leupold VX3 scope, Talley LW mounts: 7lb. 8 oz.
280 Rem. pre'64 M70, Bansner High Tech stock, 2.5-8x Leupold VX3 scope, 7lb. 8 oz.
270 WSM Weatherby Vanguard, Edge stock, 3.5-10 Leupold VX3 scope, Talley LW mounts, 7lb. 14 oz.
257 Weatherby MkV, with Edge stock, 3.5-10 Leupold VX3 scope, Talley LW mounts, 8 lb. 14 oz.
257 Roberts Ruger #1-A, Burris 3x9 scope, factory rings, 8 lb.
280 RCBS, Ruger #1 Custom, 6x Leupold M8 scope, factory rings, 8 lb. 8 oz.

The one that still gets carried the most, and shot the most, is my old 257 Weatherby. It's the heaviest 'deer rifle' that I own, but it's steady as a rock when it comes time to shoot, and a rifle I have utmost confidence in.
None of my rifles are what anyone would consider 'lightweights', and none of them require special hold techniques to be shot accurately at game.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My SC built (FN) Winchester M70 FW .308, with B&C stock,Leupy VX3 2.5-8x36 in Talley's w/ 5rds weighs 7lb 11.6oz.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BiggerStick, Did you krylon it OD green? And did you coat it with a clear coat?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Most of our rifles weigh about the same because we all shoot pretty much the same rifles.Ever notice that?

Of course now and then there's someone with a NULA or a Montana.

Those guys ruin it for the rest of us.... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Micro_Groove
BiggerStick, Did you krylon it OD green? And did you coat it with a clear coat?

I just sprayed it with Rustoleom OD (what I had at the time, although I prefer Krylon). I don't use clear myself, I just respray if needed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Most of our rifles weigh about the same because we all shoot pretty much the same rifles.Ever notice that?

Of course now and then there's someone with a NULA or a Montana.

Those guys ruin it for the rest of us.... smile

laugh

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
M7 7mm-08 inna Edge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
243 and 270 and I think they each weigh about 6.5lbs scoped.

[Linked Image]

With a bipod, ammo and sling maybe 7.5lbs total weight.

I have a 8.5lb deer rifle that rides in the pickup, it is easier to shoot when the engine is idling....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by toad
M7 7mm-08 inna Edge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What scope that be?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Terrible pic, but all I got at the moment.
[Linked Image]

R700 ADL .243 22", B&C Ti, VX3 3.5-10x40. Full belly and sling puts it at 8lbs even.

Knight Ultra Lite FX2 6 x 36 loaded + sling weighs in at 7lbs even.

Last edited by Holston; 09/12/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by deflave

What scope that be?

Travis

Leupold 1.5-5X with M1 elevation knob smile

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

.25-06. Right under 9 lbs loaded and ready to go!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
At about 60, I started noticing the weight. I put a rifle into service that helped. Careful selection of rifle, scope, mounts, and sling can make a difference.

Loose the Hubble, bi-pod, ammo carrier, and oversize sling, and the carriage wheels with the moon hubcaps, would be a good start.

Like others say, get it too light and shootability may suffer.

Now days at 78, weight doesn't bother me much, because I don't roam the mountains, hills, and dales afoot any more. I ride my Mule out to a good spot overlooking a food plot, water, or a game trail and sit and wait. Either that or near to a hide, either make shift or permanent, overlooking same.

The ranch where I hunt most straddles a state line. Some things ok in TX are not kosher in OK. Have to know where I am to stay in good graces with the wardens. , The line is partially marked with a sendero. On the rough side, I have to guess. My phone (GPS) doesn't work out there.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 09/12/15.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
They weigh in the range of 8-9 lbs.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I am also in the upper age bracket at 63 and weight isn't much of an issue, mainly because Im not climbing the big hills anymore.

My fave little deer gun is the McFlame .223AI at 7.5 all up....

[Linked Image]

And my heaviest is a T/C Icon in .243 9.5 all up.
The only thing Ive used it for is "haystack Hunting" and in a pop-up blind in Texas...when you are sitting and waiting...they don't weigh so much! grin

[Linked Image]

Pragmatism entered the picture a long time ago. as the previous poster said...lose the Hubble...most hunting shots are under 300 yards, Bi-pod- don't need it at all,ammo carrier-theres ammo IN the gun,oversize sling-mine hardly ever wears a sling, occasionally a carrying strap...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in the middle of going lightweight on the deer hunting rig. I'm selling my trusty Howa that is admittedly over-scoped a bit; it weighs in at about 9.5 lbs. Just picked up the new Tikka T3 Superlight that will get my Minox 1.5-8 and should come in under 7 lbs.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ingwe

And my heaviest is a T/C Icon in .243 9.5 all up.
The only thing Ive used it for is "haystack Hunting" and in a pop-up blind in Texas...when you are sitting and waiting...they don't weigh so much! grin

[Linked Image]

Since that's your big rifle and heavy hitter we would expect it to weigh more. smile

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Weatherby MK V S.S. ULW 270 WBY 7 lbs 4 oz bare
Weatherby MK V ULW 30-06 5 lbs 11 oz bare
Sako Tecomate A-7 300 WSM 6 lbs 14 oz bare
Winchester 1895 405 WCF 8 lbs 5 oz bare

Molan Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just swapped guns around and picked up a new Sako Finnlight in 260. The 260 weighed 5 pounds 13 ounces without scope and ammo. With a 1.5-5X VX3 with alumina caps, Leupold rings, and 4 rounds it is 6 pounds 14 ounces. I hunt in the mountains, and with the brush my longest shot is 125 yards in 40 years. Really no need for anything bigger, heavier, or longer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Whitebread might be heavy,I bet it's rock solid...ScottyO

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Interesting thread. I decided to weigh a couple of my rifles, too.

My 'front-line' general-purpose rifle weighs 11 lbs unloaded. It's a Ruger Hawkeye Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor, with a big, heavy 'tactical' scope, a Latigo sling, and a cheek rest+ammo loops.

My lightest alternative is 8 lbs even. It's a Browning BLR in 243 Win with a VX-II and a sling.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
BS 47.
That is one sweet Rifle ya got there...SottyO.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hunt a lot of bean fields. My main rifle for that purpose is a Ruger Target model in 25-06AI that weighs 10 1/2 lbs with a synthetic stock and a Zeiss 4.5-14x50. It would weigh more with the original laminate stock. My backup field rifle is a custom Pre-64 in 257Wby with the same scope. With it's 27.5 inch barrel, it weighs in at 10lbs 13oz. That weight is great for settling the rifle for those longer shots.

When I'm going to be doing some walking, I have a Tikka T3 in 25-06 with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 up top that weighs in at 7.5 lbs. I've recently acquired a stainless Marlin XS7 7mm-08 with the same scope. It weighs one ounce more.

I don't hunt mountains, so the expense involved to shed another pound off those figures just isn't really worth it to me.

I have a lot a other rifles that are all weights in between the four listed.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I really own only relatively light for chambering rifles. The one I have killed the most game with is this 338-06, shown below empty. Though a few deer and hogs have been downed, more elk, a couple of black bear, a grizzly and nilgai have fallen.

[Linked Image]

My latest is a 270 Kimber Montana that will see elk grounds in a few weeks. I have slightly tweaked it, new pad, paint and trigger guard, and it now goes just shy of an ounce over 6# with its 6x36 Leupold.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My most used woods rifle for 50 years, a 358 M99F with a 2-7 weighs 6# 5oz.

[Linked Image]

Current favorite field rifle a 30-06 custom with a 22" octagon barrel 8# 3oz.

[Linked Image]

Lightest a 308 Kimber Montana 6# 5oz. with a 2.5-8 Conquest.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]
Sako85 Finnlight 308 Win VX3 2.5-8

Last edited by bh444; 09/30/15.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]
Sako Forester 243 Win

bh444
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]

Sakosluts

bh444
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The one I'll be hunting with this year is a Remington Mountain Guide I just purchased. It's a 308 and wears a VX2 3-9x40mm in Talley light weights. Without ammo and sling, it tips the scales at 6 lbs 8 oz.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
There you go, 6# 1 oz. My 270 Montana.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My brown precision Mod.70 280AI with a Leupold 3x10 weighs in at 8lbs-2oz.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a bunch of rigs. Weight comes in from a tad over 8lbs on a 300WM to ~6 on a Montana (all up). Most range from 7 to 10.

700 in 30-06 with Mickey Edge is a little below average for what's in my safes:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Fwt 30-06 7.5lbs

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My two are around 7.25 - 7.5 scoped

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have 3 customs.
1 25-08 8lbs 9 oz all up
2. 280 AI 8lbs 7 oz all up
3. 30-338 9lbs 3 oz all up

I do not find these weights objectionable. I prefer a slightly muzzle heavy rifle. I could have built them with lighter barrels and scope to save weight. But I like how they handle and shoot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have no idea. The one I hunt with and carry the most is my early 1980's Win. Featherweight Mod. 70 in 7x57 with a Leupold 2.5 X 8.
Mine has the Factory steel adjustable Rifle Sights, so its probably just a little heavier than most Featherweights.

Anyhow, I would guess it to be right around or just under 8 lbs. I don't have a scale to weigh it on. Anybody else have a similar equipped Featherweight that they have weighed?

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't use a rifle much anymore except for antelope but this is the one I grab for everything. Remington 700 Ti .308 with a Leupold 2.5-8x32.

[Linked Image]

As pictured above, but with 4 rounds rather than 3.

[Linked Image]

I got the rifle before I joined the Campfire and learned about Talley lightweight rings, 6x42 scopes, or the "bad things" that happen using windage adjustable bases. I could switch out some stuff and make it lighter but the gun has hardly needed any scope adjustments (and those probably were more to deal with my aging eyes) so I can't bring myself to change. It gets scraped on the ground a lot crawling hunting antelope. I probably should get rid of everything else.

Edited to add: I weighed the ammo, ammo holder and sling and got a total of 10.9 ounces attributable to just those components. I also reweighed the rifle "all in" a few more times and can get it as high as 6 pounds 15.3 ounces, or as low as what I originally showed, FWIW.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 10/06/15.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really enjoyed this thread, I need a scale recommendation so I can weigh out a few of my rifles.

M70 EW 30-06 in McMillian Edge with Talley LW and VX3 3.5-10x40 CDS dials for 180g partition load weighed in at 7 3/4lbs all up. BSA posted a few pictures of it I believe

For all around use I can think of a rifle I've enjoyed more, dang thing was about as 'right' as I've found in bolt actions. Tough year this last year and it had to go down the road, I'll be recreating it soon, damn thing was just too good.

Here it is with the one meat buck I took two seasons ago.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 444Matt; 10/06/15. Reason: photo added
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been awhile since I've checked so I only have approximate numbers. All three are MkV's with scopes sans sling and ammo. Rarely will I be afield with another rifle for anything larger than 'yotes.

-SS Fibermark in 280 with std Leupold bases and rings and FX-II 6x36 right at 7 pounds (my only rifle sporting a synthetic stock)

-Deluxe in 7-08 with Talley LW's and a FX-III 6x42 comes in a few ounces under 8 pounds (my favorite hunting rifle)

-Sporter in 300 WBY with Talley LW's and a M8 6x42, this rifle is 2-4 oz. under 10 pounds.

I've used a variety of slings the last few years, they include a Boyt leather strap, Boyds nylon sling and Turner NM leather sling.

I have a couple others, but haven't hunted them or see myself hunting them anytime soon (although I do miss carrying the Marlin 30-30).

Last edited by avagadro; 10/06/15.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
My Ruger M77RS .270 Winchester with 3-9x40 Redfield Revolution,sling and 3 rounds weighs in at 9.29.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Deer rifle:
Custom M700 based 30/06 in a B&C Medalist,4X-12X VXII in Burris Signatures, 1 1/4" Super Sling, full of 165gr A-Bonds = 9.5#.

Elk rifle:
Tikka T3 7 Mag 3.5X-10X VXIII in Talley LWs, 1 1/4" web sling, full of 160gr A-Bonds = 7.5#.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
why not use the elk rifle for deer?

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by avagadro
why not use the elk rifle for deer?

Ha! laugh I knew someone was going to ask that,lol. Oh I have a time or two. Works just fine. My purpose for having the 06 built the way I did was for stand hunting whitetails.Semi front heavy 25" barrel. Lays on a rest or Bog Pod quite nicely. Kinda aims itself. A couple of my local deer stands are 350ish plus for range. The 2# lighter 7 Mag is the "go to" for poking around the high country for elk. As long as there isn't a bunch of side hilling or drives in the plans,I prefer a little weight in my deer rifle.

Last edited by Otter6; 10/07/15.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Finally got around to answering your question. So here we go, His and Hers hunting rifle weights:

His: .375 Ackley Improved at 9 lb. 8 oz.
Hers: .338 Win Mag at 9 lb. 0 oz.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finally got the new Tikka T3 Superlight in .308 set up.

Unloaded, Minox ZA5 1.5-8X32 in factory Tikka rings she weighs 6lbs. 13.3 ounces.

I bought the scope on a CameralandNY deal, so all-in I'm sitting at about $1,000. I'm well pleased thus far; hope to shoot it in on Sunday.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger Hawkeye All weather ,308, VX2 2-7X33, 22" all up 7lbs 14oz.

Ruger Ultra Lite .257, wood blue, FXII 4X33, 20" all up 7lbs 14oz grin

RAR .223, Weaver K4, 22", all up 7lbs 4oz.

Ed
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 12 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.