Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The OP asked "why" he was getting increased neck runout with his neck die. And I told him how to check and find out where the runout is coming from.

In the second reply you stated you partially full length resize your cases rather than use a neck die or completely full length resize.

Below is more reading material for you and what is wrong with partial full length resizing and bullet alignment with the bore. Bottom line, full length resizing is the best choice in reloading concentric ammo.

Reloading: Partial Neck Sizing
http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2010/06/reloading-partial-neck-sizing.html

I also noticed this is the Reloading Forum -Big Game Rifles and these type rifles are used to hunt game at longer range.

I'm 65 and have been reloading for over 46 years and I try and learn something new everyday. So it would be in your interest to learn something new and keep up with the rest of the world in reloading and its proper methods. And telling the OP how to reload straight ammo with minimal neck runout isn't a small or trifling matter.

And if you look at the top of the page you will see tree stickys on how to reload for long range.

Last edited by bigedp51; 08/24/15.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Go back and read it my first post again. I did NOT say I always partial size with FL dies, instead that I've had better luck using FL dies to partially size cases than when using standard neck-sizing dies. There is a big difference between those two statements.

In the same post I also explained why standard neck-sizing dies tend to pull necks off-center. You decided that wasn't enough and decided to get into a bunch of minutiae. Apparently that's what you like to do. I don't, unless there's some particular reason. The stuff you're discussing will make zip difference in hunting rifles, whether factory-made or with custom SAAMI-minimum chambers, except for checking case-necks for reasonably even thickness.

I have read German's partial-sizing article before, and agree with what he says as far as it goes. But there are circumstances where partial-sizing works, and I have written about them myself in more than one article. If you read more widely you might have encountered one of them, but I am not about to repeat why here, because you'll just come back with another link.

Oh, and by the way, I'm 62 and have been handloading for 50 years. How long you or I have handloaded has nothing to do with any of this, or how many links you can post. I also learn about handloading just about every day, and try to write about what matters to most hunters, rather than target shooters, though I do considerable reading in just about every aspect of handloading, including shotgun handloading, which I also have written about considerably.

Unlike you, however, I do try to write about stuff I have researched myself considerably by loading and shooting as well, instead of taking everything I read as The Word, and posting photos and links to "prove" my points.

Several times in this thread I've demonstrated what you've posted is irrelevant or wrong, and even went to the trouble to double-check a bunch of fired brass to see if any had taken on a measurable banana shape, as you suggested they do from being fired. When I reported the results you came back with another link, which also reported no measurable banana shape in fired brass UNLESS a very tight gauge was used, unavailable to 99.99% of handloaders.

I was tired of your self-important BS from the second post on, and even more tired of it now, having wasted too much time with it already.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Actually Mule Deer all you have done is say I'm wrong to prove you can't be wrong

This is a reloading forum and information varies and you do not like being told you are incorrect.

The topic here is "WHY" is the OP getting increased runout with a Redding neck sizing die. And the best way to find out is to remove the expander and isolate the problem.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Big Ed,

I see you have 12 posts, thus you're a newcomer to the Fire.

Welcome.

Generally, newcomers to most any venue are better served by listening and getting the feel of the territory before charging forth like the proverbial bull in the china closet, challenging all takers.

Just saying.

And did I say Welcome to the Fire... smile

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kinda reminds me of someone who just got booted off another forum and darn near another lately. Pretty much the same attitude of being the wanting to be the "new sheriff in town" syndrome.

Should make for some good entertainment for awhile.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Big Ed,

Nope, wrong again.

I concisely explained the problem with conventional neck dies in one short post, because I've used enough of them to PROVE through experimentation that the expander ball combined with the lack of case-body support IS the big problem. That's why I said there's no need to "isolate" the problem. It's been isolated enough.

You've never heard the old saying: "Insanity is repeating the same action over and over again and expecting different results."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Big Ed,

Nope, wrong again.

I concisely explained the problem with conventional neck dies in one short post, because I've used enough of them to PROVE through experimentation that the expander ball combined with the lack of case-body support IS the big problem. That's why I said there's no need to "isolate" the problem. It's been isolated enough.

You've never heard the old saying: "Insanity is repeating the same action over and over again and expecting different results."

We got mega doses of that in D.C.

And look how that's working for us...?

DF

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
And I hope the OP tells us what he finds out and what is causing his runout problem.

And I didn't come here to listen, I came here to answer questions.

And I may be new to the forum but I'm far from being new to reloading.

And if you have a good ol' boy network here I could care less who thinks he is king of the hill.

If anyone can "prove" the information I have provided is wrong then do so. The links I provided are there to prove what I have stated are facts and not fiction. Meaning they are established reloading fact and not "I'm right because I say so and only my opinion matters".

So you have a nice day also, and forgive me if I didn't sugar coat my answers enough for everyone.

This ain't my first roundup.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nope Redding neck dies don't work. They are junk. I use em and don't have a run out gauge. They suck.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Swifty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A new face at the 'fire and he's gonna set everybody straight.
Ignore

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Big Ed,

Nope, wrong again.

We got mega doses of that in D.C.

And look how that's working for us...?

DF

And Mule deer wants to take credit for what mathman stated in the very first response. The problem with Mule Deer's theory is then "HOW" does a bushing neck sizing die die support the case and get low runout figures "without" a expander???

Then this brings up why do people who neck size only use a expander mandrel to expand their necks. (in the link I already posted)

Below the very first response to this thread by mathman.

Originally Posted by mathman
Conventional neck size dies don't support and align the case the way a good FL die will, and they generally don't produce runout numbers as good.

If you want to neck size and get straight brass, then you want a Lee collet die or a bushing type die that sizes the brass just enough.

I should say your particular neck die may have a problem, but my earlier statement holds for conventional neck dies in general.

Last edited by bigedp51; 08/24/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dude, post some of your groups, let's see what ya got, and what you can do.

Swifty
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Sorry for the fuss…

Brass is once fired Lapua.

I can take a neck sized piece with runout of .009 and resize it without the expander assembly and it cuts the runout about in half .004 to .005. Tried with several pieces.

Took a virtually perfect once fired and sized it without the expander came out .004

I'll just use the FL die. I set it up on the press for partial sizing with a washer between the die and press for a little wiggle. I have also moved the expander up in the die to mimic the set of Forester dies I have. It works well.

Thanks.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Swifty52
nope Redding neck dies don't work. They are junk. I use em and don't have a run out gauge. They suck.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hey man...

Something ain't right, you got runout or worse.

You need to work on that, tighten up that group... cool

It's embarrassing... grin

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bigedp51
And I hope the OP tells us what he finds out and what is causing his runout problem.

And I didn't come here to listen, I came here to answer questions.

And I may be new to the forum but I'm far from being new to reloading.

And if you have a good ol' boy network here I could care less who thinks he is king of the hill.

If anyone can "prove" the information I have provided is wrong then do so. The links I provided are there to prove what I have stated are facts and not fiction. Meaning they are established reloading fact and not "I'm right because I say so and only my opinion matters".

So you have a nice day also, and forgive me if I didn't sugar coat my answers enough for everyone.

This ain't my first roundup.

We know you're a Hoss.

You told us so...

Playing King of the Hill isn't what we do here.

MD doesn't play that game.

It's unfortunalte you do.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Been reading this with great interest. Let's see......MD is an accomplished and respected outdoorsman, outdoor writer, published gozillions of books and articles on the subject, and many others, while Lardass ed came to give orders, and not listen.

Do I understand this situation correctly?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Been reading this with great interest. Let's see......MD is an accomplished and respected outdoorsman, outdoor writer, published gozillions of books and articles on the subject, and many others, while Lardass ed came to give orders, and not listen.

Do I understand this situation correctly?

Pretty close from what I've observed.

JG, you do cut to the chase... laugh

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's my dad's fault.....it's hereditary I'm afraid.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
Sorry for the fuss…

Don't be.

You just asked a straight forward question.

You had no control over what transpired.

You came to learn, like most of us.

The Fire is not too unlike eating chicken wings. You eat the meat, spit out the bones... grin

DF

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bigedp51
If anyone can "prove" the information I have provided is wrong then do so.

You are the one making the positive claim.

The burden of proof is on you, not those who doubt you.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 22kHornet, 2UP, 20 invisible), 1,609 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,448
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.