Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
From that photo I can't tell iof it's push feed or CRF or even a Model 70. I doubt if it makes any difference, though.

On my push feed Model 70 .458, bought used, the second round would pop up from the magazine in such a way that the rifle jammed. My gunsmith said that someone had pinched in the sides of the magazine for reasons unknown.

I too suspect he waited too long. I was mock charged by a young bull. My PH told me it was legal to shoot it if it came within five yards. That's close.

Or it could have been safety problem. About five years ago Kieth Atcheson's wife was gored by a buffalo because of the safety problem (which I forget what was). I tried to replicate this failure on my Model 70 but could not.

I wonder what kind of ammo he used? In 2008 my PH carried a hodge podge of .458 ammo left by his clients, two of these, eight of those, etc. I left him some flat point solids. He later said they would not feed. This, I am told, is caused by the front of the magazine slope (whatever it's called) being too rough. The fed perfectly in my rifle.

I once had some .375 300 grain handloads that would jam against the front of the magazine. The bullet maker suggested I seat them a little deeper and that solved the problem.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
At least two well-known PH's used a push-feed M70 .458 for several years without any problems, Finn Aaagaard and Harry Selby. Finn did note, however, that he learned to keep gunk out from under the extractor to keep it working correctly all the time.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
At least two well-known PH's used a push-feed M70 .458 for several years without any problems, Finn Aaagaard and Harry Selby. Finn did note, however, that he learned to keep gunk out from under the extractor to keep it working correctly all the time.
Remember Finn and his .458 along with Selby. IIRC Selby used a .458 when his .416 was back in England being re-furbished.

Didn't Finn have a .458 re-barreled/re-bored that was originally a .425 Wesley-Richards?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You'll just have to take my word for it gents, there was no jam, short stroke or any other malfunction. J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

As does John Sharp when he's not using his 470 Rigby double.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jorgeI
You'll just have to take my word for it gents, there was no jam, short stroke or any other malfunction. J
Good enough for me.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
elkhunter,

Finn had two .458's, the converted .425 Mauser and the PF M70.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,you're right.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Didn't I read originally that the charge originated at something like 20/30 meters?

Wouldn't think anything is going to help you at spitting distance.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Nope....ele was 100+ meters/yards(?) away when it came for them....

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't see how anyone can know for sure other than Ian, God rest his soul. Even with his tracker there as an eye witness I doubt seriously his attention was focused on the action of that rifle.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course they could have. The rifle was found and looked at after the accident. I'm just not in a position to discuss in an open forum because I was asked not to.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
wink.... Condolences...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am/was not familiar with him but what a tragedy!!

My condolences to all affected.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JJHACK
The type of rifle and action is a critical bit of info

Only if its a push feed..If it was a CRF it was obviously operator error..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rosco1

wink smirk

It often appears that way.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by JJHACK
The type of rifle and action is a critical bit of info

I was wondering if anyone would actually say it. Nice to see and open mind.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RevMike
From Boddington's account, the elephant was very close when the first shot was taken since Mr. Gibson fully expected it to turn. That part of the account is pretty consistent with all of the other accounts I've read. The rifle jam was something I'd not heard.

with an enraged bull in state of musth charging down on you, I would not try and call its bluff!
be 100% ready to shoot in such cases.

Gibson knew the bull was in musth but pursued it anyway.
He also knew the gun he was carrying had mechanical function problems,
on a previous hunt for leopard, the gun had jammed on him preventing him from stopping the charging leopard.

Me neither, but in my view that is a very important detail that should be made public so that everyone might learn from it.

Yes it is important, thankfully people on 24HR are more mature, sensible and open minded and ready to learn.
yet, If one reads the AR hunting site, people are getting all emotional upset and abusive when they learn that
Boddington dare publish a graphic account and details of Gibsons death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Starman
on a previous hunt for leopard, the gun had jammed on him preventing him from stopping the charging leopard.

And you know this, how?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Why would Boddington claim a jam?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.